Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,750 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? (48596 Views)

My Friend Is Currently Going Through A Divorce In UK &having A Hell Of A Time / US Man Going Through Divorce Crashes Dump Truck Into Wife's Home & Cars (Video) / Kayan Mata, Cause Of Alarming Rate Of Divorce In Abuja, Other States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Remijuice: 9:30am On Mar 20, 2020
Please Forgive my Grammar.

A man and a woman living together as husband and wife with kid(s) but are not legally Married. That is, no Traditional or Court Wedding.

If one of them decides not interested in the Union, should he/she go to court before they are Separated?

Modified: If there is no Divorce Proceedings, what happens to the kids?

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by FirstCounsel(m): 9:35am On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:
A man and a woman living together as husband and wife with kid(s) but are not legally Married. That is, no Traditional or Court Wedding.
If one of them decides not interested in the Union, should he/she go to court before they are Separated?
No.

Lalasticlala
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by SUPERPACK: 9:38am On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:
Lalasticlala
What I see in this case is cohabitation not marriage. So both of them should separate themselves as they wish since there was never a union in the first instance. Have you ever heard a boyfriend or girlfriend going to court when they no longer want a relationship?
The court will help in getting child support for the kids and also determining who takes custody of the kids ( father or mother).

431 Likes 16 Shares

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by gouken2: 9:39am On Mar 20, 2020
The way u entered into the union without involving anyone is the same way u can leave without involving anyone and trust me, no one will notice.

357 Likes 13 Shares

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by phadat(m): 9:42am On Mar 20, 2020
There is nothing binding them together legally nor traditionally except for the welfare of the kids they can go there separate ways

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Remijuice: 9:46am On Mar 20, 2020
SUPERPACK:
What I see in this case is cohabitation not marriage. So both of them should separate themselves as they wish since there was never a union in the first instance. Have you ever heard a boyfriend or girlfriend going to court when they no longer want a relationship?
Ok
Just that I always read these PM News or something (all these Igando Customary Court). You will find out that most of the cases of Infidelity or Domestic violence before the Court, most of the people involved were never married legally before the court.
They would be like "he got me pregnant when I was 20 years old, he promised me he will take care of me bla bla bla".

27 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Remijuice: 9:48am On Mar 20, 2020
phadat:
There is nothing binding them together legally nor traditionally except for the welfare of the kids they can go there separate ways
Ok
I think because of the welfare of the kids the Court now comes in

13 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by SUPERPACK: 9:52am On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:

Ok
I think because of the welfare of the kids the Court now comes in
Yes, the welfare of the kids .

5 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by 1030(m): 10:06am On Mar 20, 2020
The court can only come in when there is a legal document to show that both parties were married and in this case none exist.

As for the children welfare there is no clear guide on how this should be handle since no marriage exist here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by yvelchstores(f): 10:33am On Mar 20, 2020
Any one who didn't marry with the approval and blessing of the woman's father is not married. If the father is late, who ever that is next in line of authority must give her away to the man. If this is not the case, then the man stole the woman.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by kapelvej: 10:50am On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:

Lalasticlala
There was no marriage in the first place. So what are you going to dissolve Just carry your bag wake commot. But take it easy were you go , because of this virus

20 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Remijuice: 10:54am On Mar 20, 2020
kapelvej:
There was no marriage in the first place. So what are you going to dissolve Just carry your bag wake commot. But take it easy were you go , because of this virus
What about the kids
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by worworbabe: 10:59am On Mar 20, 2020
I don't know the kind of desperation that makes women sleep with, move in with and have babies with men who did not find them valuable enough to marry.

Having babies won't keep a man, u no go hear.

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by kapelvej: 11:03am On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:

What about the kids
This is exactly the problem.the thread did not say a word about kids. Dude is worried about the divorce process in his situation, so my comment should also be directed at that.

1 Like

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Pavore9: 11:36am On Mar 20, 2020
There was never a marriage but cohabitation. Now, who would get the custody of the kids?
What will be the arrangement for their provisions?
Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by sisisioge: 11:37am On Mar 20, 2020
Assually, this is the easiest situation when it comes to separation. The guy and babe should just amiably agree to go their separate ways, they could also decide on the living and maintenance arrangement for the kids as well. No court, no mediation...just separate yourselves plus belongings.

We are not like the oyinbo that considers a consistent year of living together as a sort of common law marriage.

7 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by keepingmum: 11:46am On Mar 20, 2020
If you were not married traditionally, religiously or legally then u cant seek redress from the customary court, church or divorce court.

If you didnt think the court, church/mosque or customs important enough to seek their approval for your cohabitation you cant go to them for redress when things fall apart

If your cohabitation produced children, go to your state family services or social welfare and they will draw up a financial support plan in place as well as visitation and custody agreement for both parties.

18 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Dereformer(m): 12:13pm On Mar 20, 2020
Remijuice:

Modified ; If there is no Divorce Proceedings, what happens to the kids?

Lalasticlala

A lady that enters into this kind of relationship is too cheap. Very very cheap girl.

That's my take.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by cerpvad(m): 12:50pm On Mar 20, 2020
Only the court of law can dissolve any marriage. Traditional or church marriage can only be dissolved by customary courts. Islamic marriage can be dissolved by both customary or sharia court while Statutory Marriage will be dissolved by Magistrate Court.

However, if a marriageless union has produced kids, the woman can approach a family court to claim welfare or child support for the kids if the man in question refuses to take responsibility for the kids.
Remijuice:

Modified ; If there is no Divorce Proceedings, what happens to the kids?

Lalasticlala

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by NobleAngell(f): 1:38pm On Mar 20, 2020
Dereformer:

A lady that enters into this kind of relationship is too cheap. Very very cheap girl.

That's my take.
And what about the man involved? What is he? Expensive?

32 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Dtruthspeaker: 1:54pm On Mar 20, 2020
If your cohabitation produced children, go to your state family services or social welfare and they will draw up a financial support plan in place as well as visitation and custody agreement for both parties.[/quote]

Most accurate Response to this kind of cases. Go to Family Court for the settlement of the welfare of the Children. The law has provided for everything.

8 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Mar 20, 2020
yvelchstores:
Any one who didn't marry with the approval and blessing if the woman's father is not married. If the father is late, who ever that is next in line of authority must give her away to the man. If this is not the case, then the man stole the woman.

In 2020,you still share this kinda primitive thought(s). A woman for that matter.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by yvelchstores(f): 2:11pm On Mar 20, 2020
Plead:

In 2020,you still share this kinda primitive thought(s). A woman for that matter.
of you like, fly to the year 2040, this is FACT AND TRUTH from the Bible. It has been written even before your ancestors were born and will be so till Jesus comes

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Mar 20, 2020
yvelchstores:
of you like, fly to the year 2040, this is FACT AND TRUTH from the Bible. It has been written even before your ancestors were born and will be so till Jesus comes

You’re a lost cause.

29 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by yvelchstores(f): 2:54pm On Mar 20, 2020
Plead:

You’re a lost cause.
you are the lost cause. Obviously a boy who has no sense of culture or moral nor root. Your ignorance should not be made a norm. Bye now

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 20, 2020
yvelchstores:
you are the lost cause. Obviously a boy who has no sense of culture or moral nor root. Your ignorance should not be made a norm. Bye now

Shame.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by worworbabe: 3:47pm On Mar 20, 2020
Plead:

You’re a lost cause.

No insult needed. Learn to respect people's belief systems.

18 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by 24kmagic: 5:00pm On Mar 20, 2020
But that guy is lucky sha.

I will be the happiest man in the world if I can be able to pull this kinda stunt...

Me na just 3 children I need.
I will need their mother for some few years before I boot her out.

I just need to double my hustle and get a nice place, every other thing will fall in place. Women no de use eye see young man weh get small change, their sense de off (no be say them First get the sense sef).

So help me God

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by yvelchstores(f): 6:16pm On Mar 20, 2020
Plead:

Shame.
run along jare. The shame is on you.

20 Likes

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by Dereformer(m): 8:15pm On Mar 20, 2020
NobleAngell:
And what about the man involved? What is he? Expensive?

I hope you're not opening your legs for any man you see.
If you make yourself cheap, men will price you very cheap.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? by NobleAngell(f): 9:10pm On Mar 20, 2020
Dereformer:

I hope you're not opening your legs for any man you see.
If you make yourself cheap, men will price you very cheap.
That doesn't answer my question.

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ajibola And Adeboye Taiwo And Their Sextuplets (Photos) / Married Men Asking Single Guys For Help. / Since My Dad Died, I Think About Death Of People Around Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.