Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,817 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt (30594 Views)

FG Directs Telcos To Reverse 10% Increase In Calls, Data Tariffs / NIN-SIM Linkage: FG Directs Telcos To Bar Outgoing Calls On Unlinked Lines / Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by Liposure: 10:57am On Mar 14, 2021
Millions of Nigerians use the USSD to access banking services daily, but telcos say they are being owed by banks.
By Ayodeji Adegboyega

Telephone companies in Nigeria have threatened to suspend USSD services over indebtedness by banks.

Millions of Nigerians use the shortcode platform to access banking services daily through their phones, but the telcos say they are being owed by the banks.

The Association of Licensed Telecommunication Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) said it will disconnect the banks from the service by March 15.

In a statement signed by its chairman, Gbenga Adebayo, and head of operations, Gbolahan Awonuga, the group on Friday explained that the withdrawal became necessary after its members and banks failed to reach an agreement on a payment structure that will exclude phone users.

It said after the issuance of the USSD pricing, determined by the Nigerian Communications Commission, the banks decided that they would no longer pay for USSD service delivered to their customers and requested the telcos to charge customers directly.

“The banks, however, provided no assurances to our members that such service fees charged to customers’ bank accounts for access to bank services through the USSD channel would be discontinued post implementation of end-user billing by our members,” the group said.

It said the removal of these service fees by the banks would have meant that if bank customers were charged only the USSD costs communicated by telcos per USSD session, bank customers will be paying far less than what they are currently being charged by the banks which in some instances are as high as N50.

“​It has been more than eight (cool months since the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) issued an updated pricing methodology for USSD services for financial transactions in Nigeria,” the group said.

“The methodology explicitly restricts Mobile Network Operators (MNO’s) from charging the end user for the services and mandates the banking sector to enter into negotiations to settle outstanding obligations and agree individual pricing mechanisms to be applied going forwards.

“During this time, Mobile Network Operators (MNO’s) have continued to provide access to USSD infrastructure and our members have continued to pay all Bank charges and fees to access the Banking industries assets and customers, despite the fact that obligations due from banks to telecoms companies for USSD services has reached over Forty-Two Billion (N42B) Naira.”

ALTON said it continued to provide these services despite not reaching an agreement considering millions of Nigerians who had become more reliant on accessing financial services through the USSD infrastructure due to COVID movement restrictions.

“Unfortunately, as it has been impossible to agree on a structure for these payments with the banks that do not involve the end-user being asked to pay, the government has been forced to intervene to ensure that a sustainable cost-sharing solution is agreed, that does not disadvantage the consumer in the long-term.

“We deeply regret that we have reached a point where the withdrawal of these services has become unavoidable, however, we remain committed to working closely with the relevant Ministries and regulators to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

“To minimise the disruption to customers, and with the concurrence of the Honourable Minster of Communications and Digital Economy and the Nigerian Communications Commission, on the huge debt to the Network operators; Mobile Network Operators will disconnect debtorFinancial Service Providers (FSPs) from USSD services, until the huge debt is paid.

“Therefore, our members are initiating a phased process of withdrawal of USSD services, starting with the most significant debtors within the Financial Service Providers (FSPs) effective Monday March 15, 2021.

“While the withdrawal of USSD service is in place, we encourage our subscribers to kindly explore alternative channels with their Banks.”
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/448669-nigeria-telcos-to-block-millions-from-mobile-banking-over-banks-debt.html

2 Likes

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by Artbydris(m): 10:58am On Mar 14, 2021
Big trouble. shocked This country is becoming more frustrating by the day. I've been having issues with ATM since late last year due to horrible network, internet banking is frustrating, now my only option, USSD transfer is about to be blocked. Last last na to dey use kolo.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by nsiba: 11:02am On Mar 14, 2021
And many Nigerians are here bothering there heads over chicken feed coins they are owing some nonsense online money vendors here...

https://www.nairaland.com/6458394/how-quick-loans-lure-workers

1 Like

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by Nobody: 11:09am On Mar 14, 2021
Internet banking does the job, though not fast.

1 Like

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by kingbee90: 11:15am On Mar 14, 2021
the
Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by Factshunter: 11:16am On Mar 14, 2021
Well.... It was just a matter of time anyways.
Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by ShackWes(f): 11:17am On Mar 14, 2021
Wahala for people like me we no ever get ATM card , my phone (sim) is my bank

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by WiszyFraud: 11:17am On Mar 14, 2021
Okk
NIN drama don end
And now this??

God bless this joke called Nigeria
cheesy

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by ena5four(m): 11:18am On Mar 14, 2021
Lobatan!
Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by Nuelito: 11:18am On Mar 14, 2021
Everyday new heartbreaking story...who did we offend in dx country?

13 Likes

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by iamyemiakins(m): 11:18am On Mar 14, 2021
All na scam.

After all the charges, una still dey owe telcos

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by parzdor(m): 11:19am On Mar 14, 2021
Sa
Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by Aboguede(m): 11:20am On Mar 14, 2021
Tools needed urgently

Quote me asap

3 Likes

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by sammyj: 11:21am On Mar 14, 2021
shocked shocked
Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by morikee: 11:21am On Mar 14, 2021
Pure greed from the bank side.

13 Likes

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by SarkinYarki: 11:21am On Mar 14, 2021
Banks better pay up

1 Like

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by potbelly(m): 11:21am On Mar 14, 2021
Migration to apps loading...

2 Likes

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by Chatflick(m): 11:22am On Mar 14, 2021
Meanwhile

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by slawormiir: 11:22am On Mar 14, 2021
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright......anyhow them like make them do

Me nor be fan of ussd before

Banking app sure me die

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by sunshineV(f): 11:23am On Mar 14, 2021
nothing concern people like us wey dey use kolo

1 Like

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by flejnr(f): 11:23am On Mar 14, 2021
Truth be told if anyone have heard a good news since insertion of this current government that person should tell me!! I blame some of my leaders in the Southwest for deceiving us out of there own personal interest to bring back this government for a second term, I pray the worst for them all honestly

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by iamyemiakins(m): 11:23am On Mar 14, 2021
I haven't used USSD for a while, I use the mobile app more.

1 Like

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by Nbotee(m): 11:24am On Mar 14, 2021
I neva use their USSD for one single day so dey can go ahead and block am
Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by MrFollowFollow(m): 11:24am On Mar 14, 2021
Why did the banks even wait for the debt to accumulate to N42 billion?!

The best course of action is to agree on a gradual repayment plan

3 Likes

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by MartinsD12(m): 11:25am On Mar 14, 2021
Liposure:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/448669-nigeria-telcos-to-block-millions-from-mobile-banking-over-banks-debt.html
They should go and sit down both them and the banks, infact banks no try after all this charges for banking they are still owing, I send money to my account they go charge me, I withdraw atm go still charge me, they send you any sms alert them go still charge you, ussd transfer code enter my account them go still charge why won't they pay, infact this people should stop disturbing us abeg.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by MajorOvakporaye(f): 11:25am On Mar 14, 2021
Banks na thieves
Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by Simplyleo: 11:26am On Mar 14, 2021
ShackWes:
Wahala for people like me we no ever get ATM card , my phone (sim) is my bank

Same here.

I don't use ATM, I use mobile app or code.

Infact, if i need cash, i will simply transfer to someone else, include bank charges, then he withdraw for me.

1 Like

Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by Goalnaldo(m): 11:26am On Mar 14, 2021
I didn't even activate it In this my new account. Internet banking.
Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by brosom(m): 11:26am On Mar 14, 2021
Hnnm this one strong oo! grin
Re: Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt by merits(m): 11:26am On Mar 14, 2021
cry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hot!: Glo 1.2GB For N200 Valid For 3days / Xenomorph: NCC Discovers Software That Steals Users’ Banking Details On Android / Top Reasons To Use Airplane Mode Even When You’re Not Flying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.