Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,217 members, 7,860,377 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:10 AM

All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South (606 Views)

APPLES Can Be Grown In Nigeria! SEE NOW! / Apple Grown In Jos, Nigeria / Where Are Plums Grown In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South by JeAgro477(m): 12:10am On Mar 15, 2021
After living all my life in the north,insecurity and issues from family members pushed me into relocating from nasarawa to ekiti state to engage and run my farming activities when i got to ekiti and i wanted to plant crops like watermelon,beans,and other cereals and grains most people discouraged me that they won't do well when i asked most of them if they've ever attempted experimenting the said crops their answers were "those crops are mainly for the northem region" so as a striver i decided to plant watermelon and beans and to my greatest supprise they did better than the north as a matter of fact that was the first time i harvested 20 100kg bags of beans from just one hectare of land and that was my first time of harvesting 15000 balls of watermelon from 1 and half hectare of land in a nutshell what i'm saying is that all the crops that are believed to be hard-core northen crops can do well in the south when done the right way COMING FROM A PRACTICAL NORTHERN FARMER CURRENTLY LIVING IN THE SOUTH

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South by budaatum: 2:58am On Mar 15, 2021
I plant pawpaws on my farm in the Orolu Kingdom in Osun State, and my people look at me like I am mad. "You don't plant pawpaws", they say, "pawpaw ma nla ilẹ wu ni", meaning pawpaw breaks ground and sprouts out itself.

On one side, I laugh at such ignorance, but on the other I weep. How can my people in my village be so ignorant that they cannot plant ordinary pawpaw, I wonder, that I grew up planting in Lagos because we were too poor to buy biscuit?

One day, my neighbour who plants cocoyam came crying that someone had stolen all his cocoyams. It was then I understood why no one planted yams no more.

You see, big yams, the sort you'd go marry a woman with, stays in the ground for up to 3 years, but the lazy fuqs will come in the night and harvest your yams in year one so no one plants yams anymore, and pounded yam that used to be like Sunday Sunday if not everyday is like Christmas day food these days. The day I bought yam in the market to pound to eat they were looking at me like I came from Mars! And my Yoruba people will ask me to be attacking Fulani when it is my own Yoruba who steal what is planted!

A cousin of mine would turn away when I'm off to my farm on my bike in the morning and make out like he never saw me, but he'd see me on my way back and ask what I brought back for him as if na im send me. One day he informed me that traditionally, his wife has the right to come on my farm and harvest my pepper. Funny thing is we don't traditionally plant peppers, and would usually just have a few pepper plants growing on our farms so we can have some to eat our yams with. So if his wife comes on my farm to pluck pepper on my farm, my own husband will have no peppers to bring home to his wife. I'm like, so hubby will go past your house without calling you and your children to let's go and farm, and your wife will come on his farm to pluck his pepper? Is he your slave or something. Lazy fuq cousin says that's how its done, its tradition. I'm like when I chop off your wife's legs with my cutlass, that will become the new tradition that will make her not come on my farm anymore!

So, op, its not like those things you mentioned won't grow well in the South, its that the planters won't plant them and often when we do plant them the stealers will come to reap where they have not sown.

Do however note that this is my own experience. I know lots of my people who go to Edo State to successfully farm. The trick seems to be don't dare plant it at home where your people feel entitled to the labour of the sweat of thy brow.

Oh. And well done you PRACTICAL NORTHERN FARMER CURRENTLY LIVING IN THE SOUTH.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South by Ojey1234: 5:15am On Mar 15, 2021
100% sure, but am not sure of Berry and green apple, the funniest thing is that some Hausa guys dont even travel to the north to buy vegetables (watermelon, okro, cucumber, green beans, green pepper, Garlic, etc) and bring them down, they plant them here and sell to us, I still don't know where we Yoruba's are heading to, if we can't plant what to eat, Fulani can't come into your house to eat your crops as a family you should have vegetable beds in your house, this should happen all year round

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South by kkins25(m): 10:17am On Mar 15, 2021
JeAgro477:
After living all my life in the north,insecurity and issues from family members pushed me into relocating from nasarawa to ekiti state to engage and run my farming activities when i got to ekiti and i wanted to plant crops like ..

Most crops can be planted anywhere, but I'm aware from my little knowledge of science that the lands in the middle belt/to northern part are more favourable to some crops.

I dont know of the specific crops though excuse my ignorance. So I want to ask was the yield the same as that of the northern lands.
Did the water melon taste the same, the size, the number per area,etc?

Ghanians plant groundnut too but compared to what I've eaten in the north. The Ghanaian groundnut no get that groundnut taste at all. It is very similar to the one I ate when I was in oyo many years ago.. it is not delicious ra ra ra!..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South by JeAgro477(m): 9:29pm On Mar 15, 2021
kkins25:

Most crops can be planted anywhere, but I'm aware from my little knowledge of science that the lands in the middle belt/to northern part are more favourable to some crops.

I dont know of the specific crops though excuse my ignorance. So I want to ask was the yield the same as that of the northern lands.

Ghanians plant groundnut too but compared to what I've eaten in the north. The Ghanaian groundnut no get that groundnut taste at all. It is very similar to the one I ate when I was in oyo many years ago.. it is not delicious ra ra ra!..
yes the yield was far more better than that of the north both in size and number but it was not as sweet as the one I do grow in the north as of ground nut I've never seen a place where twenty five bags of ground nut was harvested from just an acre of land apart from ekiti I was shocked and one funny thing was that the farmers that grow these groundnut were so primitive that they don't believe in fertilizer application and other GAP methods

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South by kkins25(m): 12:35am On Mar 16, 2021
JeAgro477:
yes the yield was far more better than that of the north both in size and number but it was not as sweet as the one I do grow in the north as of ground nut I've never seen a place where twenty five bags of ground nut was harvested from just an acre of land apart from ekiti I was shocked and one funny thing was that the farmers that grow these groundnut were so primitive that they don't believe in fertilizer application and other GAP methods

incredible!! God bless your efforts sir.
I'm aware sokoto used to be the pillar of groundnut in sub Sahara until crude oil revealed the greed in us all. It is new information to me that it is grown bountifully too in the south or west rather. All thanks to you.

I hope your markets sells well sir. God has blessed the country with you. In the future, insha Allah we would go into agriculture. I do intend to go into fishery though. Make money come first sha. All the best.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South by Timmylehyn(m): 6:29pm On Mar 16, 2021
kkins25:

Lol. That has to do with the variety of the groundnut. Some watermelons are sweeter than others, and this has nthn to do with location so far you get the fertilisation and other things right. It's about the variety.

1 Like

Re: All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South by Timmylehyn(m): 6:32pm On Mar 16, 2021
JeAgro477:
I'll like to make a request. Can you please tell us how much each. we these bags are sold for? Like the beans you quoted, how much do farmers sell the 100kg bag? Groundnut too. This would help in getting market forecast right. Also, at what period does price go up or down? Would appreciate this info.

Maybe you can put this in a new thread.

Regards
Re: All Crops Grown In The North Can Be Grown In The South by kkins25(m): 6:55pm On Mar 16, 2021
Timmylehyn:

Lol. That has to do with the variety of the groundnut. Some watermelons are sweeter than others, and this has nthn to do with location so far you get the fertilisation and other things right. It's about the variety.
I also thought this to be absolute until I started working as a bartender and Googled the differences between wines, and why some wines were so precious.
Take grape seeds from champagne France to elsewhere and you would discover your grapes taste different. But the fruits are indeed what they eat to the truest sense.

I am a Biologist and aware of species ND what have you.

(1) (Reply)

Zero Grazing For Cattle Farming / Cows For Sale N65,000 / Goat Meat Sharing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.