Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,098 members, 7,849,429 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:25 PM

Waste Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Waste Farming (1598 Views)

Processing Of Animal Waste Products Into Feed / Advise Me On My Poultry Waste / Uncommon Waste 2 Wealth Opportunities! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Waste Farming by Nobody: 1:44pm On Mar 22, 2021
I want to introduce you to waste farming
A type of farming that focus on farm market waste
You use to breed pig, snails, rabbits and even culturing seedlings

Go to Ilepo market (Lagos) and see for yourself all the carrots and watermelon that can feed rabbits and snails respectively
Go to that waste land and see people rearing pig and sheep's on practically nothing

Ask all the northerners selling corn. Millet and guinea corn and you can use the chaff or the abandoned and stone filled ones under their table to feed your noiler chickens with small money
The people who sell vegetables their stalks can feed goats so damaged potatoes

You can also see and even eat free vegetables like green peas, cucumbers (just cut the rotten part)

You can also see decaying banana. That you can use by drying it to make (mix with guinea corn) cereals for your babies.

CHANGE YOUR PERSPECTIVE

Go to the farmer's market beside you, and you don't see the opportunity. (Taking advantage of the waste)
Then sorry my Friend I can't help you
Re: Waste Farming by Christistruth00: 2:42am On Mar 23, 2021
Please explain more
Re: Waste Farming by Attit: 3:22am On Mar 23, 2021
ejikesuv:

I want to introduce you to waste farming
A type of farming that focus on farm market waste
You use to breed pig, snails, rabbits and even culturing seedlings

Go to Ilepo market (Lagos) and see for yourself all the carrots and watermelon that can feed rabbits and snails respectively
Go to that waste land and see people rearing pig and sheep's on practically nothing

Ask all the northerners selling corn. Millet and guinea corn and you can use the chaff or the abandoned and stone filled ones under their table to feed your noiler chickens with small money
The people who sell vegetables their stalks can feed goats so damaged potatoes

You can also see and even eat free vegetables like green peas, cucumbers (just cut the rotten part)

You can also see decaying banana. That you can use by drying it to make (mix with guinea corn) cereals for your babies.

CHANGE YOUR PERSPECTIVE

Go to the farmer's market beside you, and you don't see the opportunity. (Taking advantage of the waste)
Then sorry my Friend I can't help you
Logistics is one of the main hindrances. This idea you have, there are many before you. And you should take the opportunity first before telling others. You should talk about your success and not the opportunities. What I like is a balanced write up. Yes, you have talked about the opportunities, what about the challenges? And I have told you one. Solve it for your self first.

That you even mentioned Lagos baffled me. I was shocked. I think you do not understand the value chain of Agric differs depending on location. Please, study that of Lagos very well. This is why we always tell people to know theory very well and then apply it to the practical they are after. Please, return to the value chain and use vertical analysis, you will see the challenges. At the end of the day, you will see that though the items are free, but they are likely more expensive than even buying feed at the end of the day. There is a reason people are not packing the dirts. Do you want to say all the people there have not thought about it? Go to mile 12 and see wastes like 30 times that of the market you gave just talked about, and there are livestocks sellers there too. Are you saying they do not know the wastes are useful? So, return to your drawing board and research the obstacles very well before you push your idea out. There are unsolved challenges there. When you talk about the challenges and solutions, that is when I know that.....yeah...this guy knows what he is doing.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 9:55am On Mar 23, 2021
Thanks for your reply.

But my idea stems from permaculture farming Nd homesteading. A kind of subsistence agriculture.
See Happen films on youtube for more examples

Not everyone will do agriculture profitably because when you talk about the cost of carrying and the decay and loss it might not be good for a commercial farmer.

But for a family of three inundated with the lethargy of our times going to the farmer market to make good use of the waste is not a bad idea

But location matters so I'm just using Lagos as an example

My proposed location will be a farm land in Ifo
And the market in ifo ijako, owode and Oja ota in oju ore Can serve where I get my waste, all I need is the pigs and feed them with it. (Pig eat everything)

And they can help make the soil fertile and pliable
Read sepp Holtzer permaculture for reference

My only cost will be transport.

So I know it is not going to work for commercial purpose but for a family of three who are hippies
With an acre of land to experiment with where we can practice vermiculture, vegetables farming and permaculture of turkeys pigs, ducks, noiler chickens and few goats.
Those farm waste are just ideal.

1 Like

Re: Waste Farming by Attit: 10:32am On Mar 23, 2021
ejikesuv:
Thanks for your reply.

But my idea stems from permaculture farming Nd homesteading. A kind of subsistence agriculture.
See Happen films on youtube for more examples

Not everyone will do agriculture profitably because when you talk about the cost of carrying and the decay and loss it might not be good for a commercial farmer.

But for a family of three inundated with the lethargy of our times going to the farmer market to make good use of the waste is not a bad idea

But location matters so I'm just using Lagos as an example

My proposed location will be a farm land in Ifo
And the market in ifo ijako, owode and Oja ota in oju ore Can serve where I get my waste, all I need is the pigs and feed them with it. (Pig eat everything)

And they can help make the soil fertile and pliable
Read sepp Holtzer permaculture for reference

My only cost will be transport.

So I know it is not going to work for commercial purpose but for a family of three who are hippies
With an acre of land to experiment with where we can practice vermiculture, vegetables farming and permaculture of turkeys pigs, ducks, noiler chickens and few goats.
Those farm waste are just ideal.
Now, I can say you have faced the reality. But listen, the only cost you mentioned which is "transport" is a strong business killer. Way out is having your vehicle. How many hustlers here have vehicles? By the time you even try it for your personal consumption, the amount you pay for transport will shock you. And you start wondering if it is worth it. Let me shock you: from my investigation, poultry or livestock is not profitable in Lagos if the farm is not near feed mill or a distributor of feed. The cost of feed plus transport will kill the business. Take it or leave it. It is a fact I have written here.

Well, my point is that do not blame people. Many have tried it, and they know it is highly impossible. The funny issue is that the moment you give your vehicle out to a driver, they will damage it. And many arent interested in using their vehicles to pack wastes, or to even drive wastes or go to market to arrange them.

Also consider the diseases your pigs will get from the wastes. What is the cost of treating wastes? Of course there are templates one can use, but one still faces challenges.

Bro, Nigeria is a complex place to operate. When power is bad, nothing can happen. When the transport system is not ok, things will not move. When market is left in the hands of area boys, things will be disorganized.

Govt is supposed to provide these things, but my fellow farmers will rather ask government for free, pesticide, fertilizers, and bla bla bla which they won't use but sell, instead of asking for a good farm village with constant electricity (not powered with generator), and good road network. This is what government should provide and not subsidy for fertilizer and chemicals, or rubbish loans without good amenities to make business work well. Also, security is bad.

If you can make it work for yourself on a subsistence level, (I am happy you came out clearly that it may not be commercial viable) great. But it may not even work for everyone even at the lowest subsistence level.

1 Like

Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 12:30pm On Mar 23, 2021
In one of those youtube videos on Happen film channel a man there talked about a bio gas machine which he used to power his House provider and entirely,
All he need is just the waste , in this case farm waste.
Nigerians herd on and saturate a lot once they see one way they junk and proliferate.

My goal is to take advantage of the waste, I'm talking
3 rabbits, 2 pigs, 20 chickens, 200 cat fishes
100 snails for a family of three on an acre of land bought for just 100 thousand with a house built on a budget of 50 thousand entirely on beams and zinc

Why can't it work it will work perfectly.
The goal is permaculture and homesteading
If every family of three in Nigeria practice nobody will find life difficult

You segment your farm into portion

Pig one side ( male and female) = 10 piglets
Goat ( male and female) - 4 kids
Rabbit (~) = 12 kits

Have a portion for planting the immortals
Plantain and cocoyam feed them on the animals waster

Then you barricade the vegetables - ugwu ego etc
One side.

On a family of three

Farm waste will be just ideal. Just ideal I tell you

1 Like

Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 23, 2021
and Mr attt

I saw where you talked about the chemical involved in farming and how you hate it.
This waste farming is totally organic, I mean you treat your farm like an organic community

You turn your farm into an organic waste land

Take for instance you take all that carrot or cucumber waste and pour everything in your farm
You unleash the pigs they eat their fill and shit all that beautiful manure and nutrient into the ground
Chase the pigs to another location within the farm

Flies come
Hmm( licks lips)

They load the shit with eggs and maggots

unleash the Chickens they start scratching into the waste aerating the soil, and eating all the maggots and earthworms. By scratching they help you plants whatever seed is littered like cucumber seeds tomato seeds etc.

What do you next.
You pour water -

Gbam, the next week you will start seeing seedlings sprout. - that is your first mixed vegetable farm
And guess what you did

NOTHING!!!

You move on the next area, load that place with the waste of fruits send the pigs, chicken, goats turkey

In which ever strategy you want to use

LET NATURE FARM FOR YOU.

. CAN'T you see how beautiful it is.

2 Likes

Re: Waste Farming by Attit: 4:35pm On Mar 23, 2021
ejikesuv:
In one of those youtube videos on Happen film channel a man there talked about a bio gas machine which he used to power his House provider and entirely,
All he need is just the waste , in this case farm waste.
Nigerians herd on and saturate a lot once they see one way they junk and proliferate.

My goal is to take advantage of the waste, I'm talking
3 rabbits, 2 pigs, 20 chickens, 200 cat fishes
100 snails for a family of three on an acre of land bought for just 100 thousand with a house built on a budget of 50 thousand entirely on beams and zinc

Why can't it work it will work perfectly.
The goal is permaculture and homesteading
If every family of three in Nigeria practice nobody will find life difficult

You segment your farm into portion

Pig one side ( male and female) = 10 piglets
Goat ( male and female) - 4 kids
Rabbit (~) = 12 kits

Have a portion for planting the immortals
Plantain and cocoyam feed them on the animals waster

Then you barricade the vegetables - ugwu ego etc
One side.

On a family of three

Farm waste will be just ideal. Just ideal I tell you

ejikesuv:
and Mr attt

I saw where you talked about the chemical involved in farming and how you hate it.
This waste farming is totally organic, I mean you treat your farm like an organic community

You turn your farm into an organic waste land

Take for instance you take all that carrot or cucumber waste and pour everything in your farm
You unleash the pigs they eat their fill and shit all that beautiful manure and nutrient into the ground
Chase the pigs to another location within the farm

Flies come
Hmm( licks lips)

They load the shit with eggs and maggots

unleash the Chickens they start scratching into the waste aerating the soil, and eating all the maggots and earthworms. By scratching they help you plants whatever seed is littered like cucumber seeds tomato seeds etc.

What do you next.
You pour water -

Gbam, the next week you will start seeing seedlings sprout. - that is your first mixed vegetable farm
And guess what you did

NOTHING!!!

You move on the next area, load that place with the waste of fruits send the pigs, chicken, goats turkey

In which ever strategy you want to use

LET NATURE FARM FOR YOU.

. CAN'T you see how beautiful it is.

As long as you can get it done.

You should open a thread as a diary of your adventure. At the end of the day, you may make it profitable. What you should do is to see how to use it to raise 50 to 100 chickens......try broilers. I have worked on it before and it's possible. But the stress of running after boys to get wastes and prepare them the way I want made me abandon it. There is a method I know which works excellently.

The secret of making it in poultry...subsistence is to get parent stocks and also move into turning waste to feed. I have a plan of 100 broilers sales per week. It is very possible. It's just a matter of diligence. My incubators are still in the store. I saw them last week and I just smiled. I was almost installing solar energy to power them all. Actually, the plan was to produce 150 to 200 eggs weekly, incubate them myself, and then, use waste to bring down the cost of feed. In fact, I have over 25 quails for eggs production for personal consumption presently. Tired of eating chemical food. Organic all the way.

I think you can do something like that too. You can actually make profit from it if you can handle logistics and keep it at a low cost.

1 Like

Re: Waste Farming by TheFalcons: 7:56pm On Mar 23, 2021
Ejikesuv

Permaculture is an excellent idea that can reduce feeding cost of a family to the bearest minimum. And maybe have some left for selling. I'm happy to finally see someone keying into the idea.

Building a biodigester and using biogas for cooking is also a nice sustainable idea.

You can even go one step further and process bio diesel for your power needs.

I'm excited to follow your journey.

1 Like

Re: Waste Farming by TheFalcons: 8:17pm On Mar 23, 2021
A note of caution;

The free waste will start getting sold to you, once the market women see that you're are constantly needing it in larger and larger quantities.

It'll cost you money to build suitable and comfortable pens for each kinds of livestock you intend to keep. And don't even think you can cut corners here. Rabbits need a cage for each unit. As cute as they are, they can be very territorial animals. If you house them togther, don't be surprised if you come and meet blood stains everywhere in your rabbit hutch. Pigs can eat through and even destroy their pen if not properly made, then they'll feast on your lovely chickens. The only animal I believe you can cut corners with are the chickens, you can just make an open shed for them, they'll go there to sleep at night by themselves.

I'll advice you leave goats out of it completely, if you're going to be growing crops around your homestead. Because no matter how strongly you fence your goats, if the fence can't hold water, you can be sure that your goats will find a way to escape and eat all your crops. Houdini (the escape artist) is an apprentice where goats are concerned.

Since you talked about biogas, you'll need to build your pens such that you can always scoop the animal droppings for your biodigester. Mind you, it's not advisable to put sand in a digester.

You also cannot assume that seeds will grow from your animal manure (it rarely happens- you're likely going to get weeds). If you want crops, you may have to plant them yourself and tend to them.

I think I'm going too deep grin

I'm just so excited to see permaculture in our local context.

1 Like

Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 8:52pm On Mar 23, 2021
Thanks so much the falcons.

I'm so happy to find kindred spirit. I felt like I was lost with no one in Nigeria sharing my thought process.

Im getting a lot of inspiration from reading Walden by Henry Thoreau.

I don't yet know how to get the bio digester. But I know I will get there

There is a documentary called The Biggest little farm which I also think spurred my Thoughts and actions.

I'm thinking a lot on how to get it without drawing attention which is why I'm looking at using 3 different markets.

I'm going to use a mixture of manure ( which I intend to get from pen around me) with saw dust to make my ground pliable and good for planting vegetables

I will build a small ditch for pigs to cool their body in and later ducks can filter the microbes

The main is the waste and the Nigerian factor.
I'm getting a bicycle, and will use part time teaching to support my self for the mean time

I'm a Minimalist so I only have 5 of each things (shirt trousers etc)

But I'm hyped for farming this way. And now I see land as the most important resource. If I have money I will buy more acres of land and continue in this way.

As for the seedlings sprout I think tomatoes and English spinach will grow unaided all I have to do is a little transplant and it will be fine

Thanks for the advice about goats. I was thinking about all the potatoes that usually go to waste in market and my area, there are a lot of cassava peels as the villagers fry garri here professionally

I was even thinking of using the cassava peels for feeding chicken (brollers) by grounding them and drying the grounded pellets.

WASTE IS WEALTH AND THE FUTURE GOING FORWARD.

THANKS so much.. for the ideas I'm grateful both of you
Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 23, 2021
Remember good sirs, there is no such thing as a bad plant it's only In subjective context that we can refer to a plant as a weed

Which is why I intend to study weeds and how to grow them, there are some weeds that are good food for goats and for pigs

And if you aid their growth you know how resilient weeds are they can grow a foot tall in just one day, you will feed these pigs with practically nothing.

Sepp Holtzer permaculture and Rebel farmer are good books to download

and also Patrick whitfield books.

I also like turkeys, I think they are the pig of the fowl world and their tenacity is quite unmatched.

Please let not hoard any ideas as long as we are in Nigeria we are a stray bullet away from taking them all with us ( I can be morbid, sorry)

Let share more.

WAste farming is here to stay
Re: Waste Farming by Attit: 6:36am On Mar 24, 2021
ejikesuv:
Remember good sirs, there is no such thing as a bad plant it's only In subjective context that we can refer to a plant as a weed

Which is why I intend to study weeds and how to grow them, there are some weeds that are good food for goats and for pigs

And if you aid their growth you know how resilient weeds are they can grow a foot tall in just one day, you will feed these pigs with practically nothing.

I also like turkeys, I think they are the pig of the fowl world and their tenacity is quite unmatched.

Please let not hoard any ideas as long as we are in Nigeria we are a stray bullet away from taking them all with us ( I can be morbid, sorry)

Let share more.

Quickly glanced through the books you talked about in this thread. One of them is advance....really advance, and you need money to execute many things. Nice books. Very educative. Like I told you....try to make it profitable. It can be a financial burden just doing it for your mouth only. At least, find a way to make it profitable to sustain the adventure.

Well, most people have not tried this. Most want to copy you. So, I advise you to start doing it instead of looking for more ideas. You have enough ideas already on ground. Start, and stop wasting energy asking for more ideas. More ideas will come after you have started. You.will drop some and improve some, while you know the ones which cannot be possible at the time.

Instead of looking around for weed (not saying weed is bad), build a garden. Someone has advised you. Go and buy seeds. You should buy OPV so you can harvest seeds and buy no more. If you can afford to pay for transport of wastes, what stops you from buying opv seeds? Technisem has packs of OPVs and heirlooms. Forget the rest of the brands...those ones are for money money money with yeye hybrids and damn expensive. Lol. They arent for you. Other option is that you go to market and choose rotten fruits and pick out their seeds, but make sure you pick OPV and not hybrid. Not sure if you are experienced enough to do this cos you will just pick hybrids and you waste 3 to 5 months precious time of yours and you fail...you will not even know the seeds are the reason. Uou may not even treat the seeds well and they are infected easily. So I advise you like the guy above, go and buy seeds. They arent too expensive.....or go and meet those malam to show you seeds to harvest.

Go for lettuce, radish, watermelon, cucumbers, pepper tomato, onions, garlic, ginger, aloe vera, etc. If you have cash buy strawberry runners, you.can even buy some trees like orange, tangerine, lime, lemon, grapes, coconut, date, pawpaw,pineapple, etc (if the land is yours). Why waste your time cultivating weeds, when you can have a good garden. The waste is already what you are using as feed. And you can have aloevera, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, and many other herbs to add to your waste or water of your crops. If you are using any weed, treat it well like a plant.

So what additional ideas do you need than to get started? Start, or other things you start saying or writing is a turn off for me and many people. Start a diary of your adventure, then, I personally will give you ideas and contribute meaningfully.

Goodluck!
Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 8:16am On Mar 24, 2021
It is important to farm weed
Why
Because farm waste like farm produce is seasonal

What happens when there is not enough potatoes or cucumber for your animals, how can you speak animal and tell them to fast for that week or season.

So you need an alternative, hence the farming of weed, and with weeds the animals re eating fresh vegetables that are beneficial and can cause less diseases like waste

Ehm Mr. atit I know you have money, but don't confuse dissent for pontification.

Allow us who don't have money to say things the way we want to without getting pissed off. Down the megalomania a mite my love, I started this thread.

And as for starting, I am.

Attached is a picture of my farm land built mostly of wood, I intend to use pallet to build it, to reduce my carbon footprint and spend less.

I told the man who helped me clear it not to burn the weed so that the plant matter can break down and the little sticks will make the soil pliable and give the soil the right amount of acidity.

Then I intend to plant beans to add nitrogen and allow them decay in the soil, the goats can start with that one ( remember I'm using Walden by Henry Thoreau as an inspiration)

I've started culturing seed, every Saturday I go the farmer's market for my doze of biophilia and to get different seeds from different plants, I have growing 3 types of lime lemon orange and avocado
I also have 2 times of mangoes etc.

But I need ideas and I'm also using this to encourage graduates who are downtrodden and looking for a sense of purpose tht they can also start just like me

I would advise that anyone that want to start should first dig well or borehole that is the most important if a water source is far from you.

So while I take my time. I'm studying the different weeds and how to grow and facilitate them so that I can use their resilience to feed my animals especially the pigs.

We have to think ahead if there's one thing I know about Nigerians is that once few people get a whiff of this thread. WAste will become scarce in the market.

Until then we move.

By the way the name of my farm is WHITE FIRE
I got the inspiration from that listen to Angel Olsen album " Burn your fire for no witness that's the only way it's done"

My second farm is to be called PRIMROSE GREEN

Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 9:08am On Mar 24, 2021
I also intend to follow the animals to the bush to learn what kind of weed they are eating so that I can facilitate it's growth.

Take for instance the weed attached to the layman it's just weed destined for clearing and burning.
But with constant effort and mindful watching of snails I found out that it is a wonderful food for them and ever since then, I haven't looked at it the same way again

It is important because there are days when there won't be bad watermelon in the market for the snails.

All you need is to head into the bush and cut as many as possible. Change their diet as it were

Re: Waste Farming by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 10:00am On Mar 24, 2021
I like the discussions here

I will contribute later on
Re: Waste Farming by TheFalcons: 1:13pm On Mar 24, 2021
ejikesuv:
I also intend to follow the animals to the bush to learn what kind of weed they are eating so that I can facilitate it's growth.

Take for instance the weed attached to the layman it's just weed destined for clearing and burning.
But with constant effort and mindful watching of snails I found out that it is a wonderful food for them and ever since then, I haven't looked at it the same way again

It is important because there are days when there won't be bad watermelon in the market for the snails.

All you need is to head into the bush and cut as many as possible. Change their diet as it were

I enjoy your obsession with weed grin

If the aim of the farmstead is; To feed a family and still leave some produce for sale.

To achieve this aim, you have to be looking at how to get the most value out of your resources.

If you want to cultivate weed to ensure sustainability of the farm, you need to be able to predict the weeds entire life cycle (including whether you need to regrow them from time to time and how they react after grazing) and be able to care for them enough for them to produce most efficiently. You also need to work out a stocking density. That means how much land area do you need per animal on your farm.

One thing I've come to realise is that the weeds that you assume will grow fast can become a pain in the ass when you decide to grow them and pay attention to them. Instead it may be better to grow crops alone, at least you can eat, feed livestock and sell some when you need cash.

Weeds usually come when you grow crops, and you'll need to clear them. Whenever you clear the weeds, you can pour it in your animal pens, they'll do justice to it. Do you know that almost all weeds are edible for animals?. I've given my animals all weeds you can think of, they'll mostly avoid the toxic ones and focus on the ones they can eat.

Energy is another resource that you need to manage jealously. Let's assume you have 20 different crops on the farm and today you need to;
stake your yams and cucumbers, while the potatoes are already needing second ridging, you still have to go to the market to get food for the animals, at the same time the snails have laid many eggs this same morning and you need to transfer them to a nursery. You also have to pack the litter in the pig house because its starting to really smell. Rain didn't fall for sometime and you need to wet all your vegetables. You still have to make breakfast or find something to eat. How do you intend to do all these jobs while running the errands, bearing in mind that before evening there will be another set of challenges, like goats going to eat in another person's farm, or one of your animals put to bed and the mother needs assistance with caring for her kids?

1 Like

Re: Waste Farming by TheFalcons: 1:44pm On Mar 24, 2021
This is merely a suggestion;

Have a very solid plan first, and know what your homestead aims to achieve.

Know who your farm hands will be and when they can be available to help.

Ditch the idea of planting weed completely (if you dont have lots of acreage)

Focus only on growing crops that will require minimal agric inputs or work.

You also need to choose short, medium and long-term crops. For food and to generate cash to cover expenses that will definitely come up.

Short term Veggies (4 to 6 weeks) - Shoko, Tete,

Medium term crops (2 to 8 months) - Ugwu, potatoes, beans, Okro

Long term crops (over a year) - Yam, Pawpaw, Plantain, Cocoyam

One or two of different kinds of fruit trees like Mango, Orange, Tangerine, Guava, coconut can be planted on the edges of your property. ( You need to do this as soon as you can find spare time) Down the line, they'll enrich your farm and your experience in ways you can't begin to imagine. You also don't need to care for them much once their stem starts getting strong in a few months.

In the meantime your market waste can feed your animals until you start getting money from your Veggies. The money can be used to supplement the animals feeding (Note that your animals will not make you very happy feeding on weed alone. I've tried it during my NYSC days as a project). An animal that should be reproducing by 7 months can start reproducing in the 9th month, that's even if it gives you the required size of litter. Their growth will just drag and frustrate you.

You can't be an island and grow all you eat, Imagine saying you want to grow cassava and produce garri despite your workload, or you want to grow corn and make pap because you love pap. So you'll need some cash to buy food materials that are not commercially viable for you to produce.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you won't need cash, permaculture was coined in countries with better economic realities than ours. The market prices for agric produce in those countries are also well regulated to ensure maximum profit for farmers. Also bear in mind that this same countries are now more knowledgeable about the health benefits of organic foods and they are usually ready to pay premium (outrageously high) prices for foods grown organically, which means a farmer stands to make a respectable sum from his homestead.

When you read books on minimalism, you'll see that they suggest that you wear used clothes that are donated, or use food stamps to cut your feeding cost, or improvise in the production of most items you use which takes a whole lot of expertise that you probably don't have. They also advocate extreme couponing to help get you valuable groceries. All these are Bullcrap in the Nigerian context.

Brother, you have to make money to live a Minimalistic lifestyle.

Back to the Benefits of this style;
> The weed among your crop becomes a welcomed visitor because they feed your animals

> Your animals fertilize the crops

> Every work done on the farm will show commensurate result.

> Multiplication of your resources will be faster

> Lots of products can be sold as you scale up (Eggs from your chicks, animal feaces, livestock, crops, fruits when the mature)

> Along the line, you can organise coaching sessions for people who want to learn how you did it.

> The kids of your animals can be sold whenever you're cash strapped.

> You'll always have access to good organic food produce.

The rest you'll figure out as you go.

All these are just mere suggestions though. The ball is in your court.

1 Like

Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 2:21pm On Mar 24, 2021
You've made an interesting point my friend, I hope to make a time table.

Something that will go like
Wake up prepare drop the child in public school since I don't believe in western education or a lot in that matter blame it on Schopenhauer metaphysics saying all of life is meaningless

I'm convinced that Life is a past time" - Theoreau

You are seeing the lackadaisical and easy nature of farming this way.

Now I intend to have my goat on a leach like a drover, I will get a rope tie the goats to the portion where I want them to clear, provide them with a basin of water and sit down beside them there and read.

That's morning food

In the evening, I will go to a woman I know selling akara professionally and get the beans chaff from
Her plus remember that cassava peels are surplus in this side

Once they clear it, pour the waste on the portion that they just cleared unleash the goats again or pigs whichever after that unleash the Chickens and turkey whatever remains scatter some seeds there Let it grow along side the weed

Besides I don't intend to keep animals for long my main stay is the immortals. Plantain and cocoyam
Those are my main focus

All they need is water and manure they rarely die.

So I don't intend to get stressed by serving the animals according to Sepp Holtzer his pigs are his staff they work for him.

I want to travel a lot and Vom (Jos). Is my final destination so I won't get caught up in animal rearing

You have to know that I'm doing this for SUBSISTENCE FARMING

ehen, I don't get caught up with the capitalism of the world. I farm according to the poem of Alexander Pope.

So a little chicken a little duck some quails, little things like that, so what happens is that whenever the weeds grow I don't have to worry about clearing it I just go there send my staff (goats, pig and turkey)
They do the work and I transfer them someplace else.

It's all a little bit of discipline really and Santayana ethics of detachment means I can live very spartan if I want to.

And as for sickness, water a squeeze mixture of scent leaf and bitter leaf doesn't cure, the animal is free to go.
As for rats, I love cats ( it's that simple) a few toms will roam about eating leftovers.

An abundance of fruit trees Will be present also.

It's all the head to be sincere. But I'm really grateful for your correspondence. It's been nice

Thanks the falcon

1 Like

Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 24, 2021
Thanks the falcon please try and read Sepp Holtzer permaculture
It's a wonderful book

You will see things the way I see them
And I love your suggestions. I will follow through on them.

The weed idea is gotten from the fact that I know sometimes waste can become scarce,

But when they do and I have weed growing in a portion of the farm instead of employing farm hands, allow the animals to clear it.

Just bury an iron wedge tie them to it put up a box of trampoline beside them so that they can find shade somewhere, water to drink and watch them clear that land in no time.

Once they are done move them to the next place,

Plant your vegetables, take the one you can eat
Leave the remaining in the ground

Once it's two weeks the weeds are back
Take them back there,

Wash rinse and repeat

You eat they eat ( by clearing the bush)

You do a little maggot FARMING with soldier fly for the fish use the water from the pond to wet your vegetables.

Everybody is happy
Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 24, 2021
Take for instance you rent 3.5 acres of land for 10k which is at the rate of 3k per year in a place like Butu Butu in Oyo state

Armed with 4 pigs

You divide your land to 3 equal parts name them
Alpha, Beta and Charlie

You move the 4 pigs to Alpha
Allowing them to roam freely sine all they do is look down. You just need to build a shelter of 4 wood and trampoline or if you see a make shift shelter of the upper part of a bus, in a scrap house that will be their house.

Let them eat all the weeds in alpha.
Go to the market take some waste and pour it in the location where you want them to help you clear at least within a month alpha might have cleared to a particular level

Remember they have already provided the land with manure

You move them to beta.

Unleash the chickens and turkey to alpha let them finish what the pigs couldn't. Divide the acre into plots plant vegetables and fruits as you like

Meanwhile your staff are in beta clearing beta for you.
You go the market get more waste for them in Beta.

Send the birds..

Move them to charlie.

By the time they get to charlie.
I'm sure you will have piglets for sale.
I'm sure you will have some that you want to sell.

So along that thought you can practice permaculture.

Now once you feel alpha have become bushy you take the pigs back to alpha again

And start your permaculture on beta

By now your mangoes and oranges in Alpha would have become big and you can start gaining from there too.

There you are enjoying farming whistling all the way
Re: Waste Farming by TheFalcons: 3:00pm On Mar 24, 2021
Planning to be a very lazy farmer is the only way to ensure that you succeed at it.

There are days when you'll feel very ill, or just so tired that you don't want to get out of bed, there are also times when you'll just want to bing on a certain distraction all day. What happens to your "workers" on such days.

I put in 100 percent when I'm farming because it's a way of life for me.
But I work more with reality than fiction. There are days when you have to half-ass it. Those are the days that can undo months of impeccable work.
Re: Waste Farming by chigomiced: 11:53pm On Mar 24, 2021
abeg no vex

which land do you intend practicing this permerculture
Re: Waste Farming by Christistruth00: 2:02am On Mar 25, 2021
ejikesuv:

Let share more.

Do you know that pigs can be fattened on only Poultry litter

It Is about 30% protein

https://citizentv.co.ke/business/smart-farm-feeding-pigs-with-poultry-waste-to-lower-costs-305422/

In fact a Century ago American farmers with Cattle feedlots fattened their Pigs on the Cow Manure and nothing else.

https://permies.com/t/38948/Cows-produce-lbs-pig-feed

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/how-pigs-can-compost-manure-farm-scale-saving-you-fuel-and-money

Water Hyacinth that many consider a weed is protein rich and has been successfully used as animal feed
Re: Waste Farming by Christistruth00: 2:11am On Mar 25, 2021
Attit:

Now, I can say you have faced the reality. But listen, the only cost you mentioned which is "transport" is a strong business killer. Way out is having your vehicle. How many hustlers here have vehicles? By the time you even try it for your personal consumption, the amount you pay for transport will shock you. And you start wondering if it is worth it. Let me shock you: from my investigation, poultry or livestock is not profitable in Lagos if the farm is not near feed mill or a distributor of feed. The cost of feed plus transport will kill the business. Take it or leave it. It is a fact I have written here.

Well, my point is that do not blame people. Many have tried it, and they know it is highly impossible. The funny issue is that the moment you give your vehicle out to a driver, they will damage it. And many arent interested in using their vehicles to pack wastes, or to even drive wastes or go to market to arrange them.

Also consider the diseases your pigs will get from the wastes. What is the cost of treating wastes? Of course there are templates one can use, but one still faces challenges.

Bro, Nigeria is a complex place to operate. When power is bad, nothing can happen. When the transport system is not ok, things will not move. When market is left in the hands of area boys, things will be disorganized.

Govt is supposed to provide these things, but my fellow farmers will rather ask government for free, pesticide, fertilizers, and bla bla bla which they won't use but sell, instead of asking for a good farm village with constant electricity (not powered with generator), and good road network. This is what government should provide and not subsidy for fertilizer and chemicals, or rubbish loans without good amenities to make business work well. Also, security is bad.

If you can make it work for yourself on a subsistence level, (I am happy you came out clearly that it may not be commercial viable) great. But it may not even work for everyone even at the lowest subsistence level.

How come the Local Pigs that spend their lives on the rubbish heap hardly ever die of diseases ?

Genetics

Also bitter leaf , Dogonyaro leaves and Christmas Melon ( Tagiri) soaked in pigs water helps them resist many diseases and parasites

Many of the herbs and Weeds they eat in the bush increases their resistance to disease eg. Siam Weed.
Re: Waste Farming by Attit: 5:54am On Mar 25, 2021
Christistruth00:

How come the Local Pigs that spend their lives on the rubbish heap hardly ever die of diseases ?

Genetics

Also bitter leaf , Dogonyaro leaves and Christmas Melon ( Tagiri) soaked in pigs water helps them resist many diseases and parasites

Many of the herbs and Weeds they eat in the bush increases their resistance to disease eg. Siam Weed.

So, do you give them all the above leaves or weed as food? The modern livestock farming has separated food from herbal medication. I'm a grounded herbal person. And when it comes to genetics, I'm well informed. Modern breeds needs high protein. Of course, you can without using chemical food. The rule in genetics is that nature puts breeds in locations they can survive. When you introduce hybrid or foreign breed, that's distorting nature. So, you deal with it specially. Therefore, you can only do one thing in a smart way....turn those leaves into medications. Foreign or hybrid breeds may not have the instinct that such leaves are good. So you release them into the jungle, they die easily.

Weeds he is talking about aren't called weeds again. I can give him plants which grow as weed but have been identified and studied. No plant he brings out which has not been studied. No new thing again. We just fine tune everytime. He mentioned algae which is ok...but can the breed he brings tolerate it like local? What quantity is appropriate for his breeds? He is just starting, and we should allow him. But he sounds like ONLY a theorical person. He has just read the books, and he is inspired which is good. But I'm happy he has got a site. I will be happy to see him prove me wrong. I'm pushing him with my post. He can get angry, say rubbish...but im pushing him to do it. I pushed him to start the diary...and he had to post the pictures....so...let him know this is a push to prove me wrong he is just talking....

If I sit you down and lecture you organic or natural farming, you will open your jaw and never close it. But the challenges are there. Like I wrote, I do not eat chemical produced meat and vegetables again. Never and Never. My next plan is to find a way to continue my lifestyle whenever I am abroad. I want to live longer. Degenerative, autoimmune diseases and cancer cannot locate me by God's grace and with my recent lifestyle, my immune system is solid Olumo rock. Never. How can you produce chicken and turkey for yourself and still feed them antibiotics and vaccines? Terrible. I mean....food you want to eat ooooo. Next phase I'm working on is getting goat milk and ditching rubbish milk in Nigeria. Milk is a poison in Nigeria. Those powdered milk are terrible. Ask anyone working in the powdered milk industry and you will be amazed the kind of words you will hear.

Well, I think he sounds like one Okafor boy who calls himself baba olowo. The boy is smart...but not focused at all. Always opening many new threads. You read deep his posts, you know this person is smart, but wants short cut. The boy's end game is to solicit for fund. Lol. And I guess many didnt take him serious... one notorious moniker which pretends to be a rich farmer even was supporting him and soliciting for him...but he soon realised many know the person behind all the monikers is same. Really, i dont know how the moderators here are daft. Yes, they are...and even one is in the click. Just watch out.

I'm out of this thread. Genuinely I came to contribute, but I'm a very sensitive person. And after checking it well...i know this is where i should not belong.

One last idea from me....there are olden ways to do things. Sure...but this is 2021. We use our brain excellently. The grasses, leaves and melon you talked about are good. Threads here have talked about them. Nothing new. Why would you want to use them as food instead of treating them as medications? Modern breeds need certain percentage of protein. You cannot compare the needed protein of local turkey to foreign Turkey ...same with local fowls and broiler and noilers. As a person with brain, you can easily pluck those herbal leaves and use while you put valuable (crop with high monetary vlaue) in your garden and build a small business. Make it profitable. He snapped back and said I am rich, and he must grow weeds. If he is growing weeds to show people its value and plan to make money from it by supplying them, that's another case. I realise why I'm richer than him. I did not say it, he said it. Good that he will be a stalker and follow his animal to the bush....great...but who has that kind of time in 2021? Lol. Follow animals to bush and start watching them what they eat....shaking my head. But not a bad idea for him...lol. But there are ideas written already even in the books he put there which are easier. I have read the books. Read books and know the plants....walk around and see the ones you have in your area. Is this not a more efficient way rather than stalking animals? What people have done even 100 years ago, you want to start from scratch again...Chai...in 2021. Lol. We work smarter. Build on what others have done. Leverage on the knowledge in books...you don't need to start from the beginning. Continue where they stopped and innovate.

Anyway, goodluck to a human who is bent on his own way. He knows what he is doing. And I'm sure the thread will die a natural death soon if he doesnt adjust or if he has another motive, and it will live long if the motive is good. Just watch out.

I only wanted to fine tune what he wanted to do, but I have seen ahead I should just leave...I only replied you here, and will never again. The pattern is exactly like the Okafor arrogant boy who dumps his thread when the motive isn't achieved. Just another style.

Goodluck to everyone..

1 Like

Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 7:37am On Mar 25, 2021
I will never ask you for money,

I started the thread as a guide and motivation for youths all across Nigeria showing them the wealth in waste

I'm sorry if I insulted you, nor do I care where you intend to spend the rest of your 50 onanistic years.
But you are exactly what's wrong with the world
A microcosm of the capitalist christians numbed with greed. Fart laden fools navigating goblin minded to a street of gold ( heaven)

I won't derail this thread or prove anything to you.

The thread is for learning.
When you read Man and Socialism by Che you will understand that today's society have atrophied with the inundation and destruction of rat race capitalism. We need a revolution and true revolution begins in a farm.
I tell you until Nigeria practice communism and have the same baptism of fire that happened in Chile. We will never have peace
As long as the spirit of Che Guevara lives in me I will never ask you for a thing.
Live well and keep trying hard to perfect your vampirism.

Good luck to you, you are still my friend

PATRIA OU MUERTE
Re: Waste Farming by Nobody: 1:34am On Apr 01, 2021
BONE MEAL... or better still Phosphorus everywhere.

Lying helpless and ready are bones from the butcher around us they are a nuisance to them and they don't know what to do about it.

Where do waste farming come in.

You take these bones, you break them into chunks, look for a pot and boil them for 6 hours.
Remove them and dry.

Use a blender to ground them...

Then you have in your hand powdered and storable:
Phosphorus for your plants growth and root development and soil pliancy.

It can be a form of business for those who are interested and a source of calcium for poultry farms.

Check youtube for more illustrations and explanation
Re: Waste Farming by Wallykiu: 11:54am On Sep 26, 2023
what agro product can we convert milo waste into...

(1) (Reply)

Maize Prices / Fadama Iii Af Graduate Unemployed Youth And Women Agro-preneur Support (fadama-g / Palm Tree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.