Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Should I Quit This Job Or? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Quit This Job Or? (1112 Views)

Should I Quit School And Take This Job Offer? / Should I Quit My Job And Be Self-employed? / My Friend Was Fired because Of Me Should I Quit The Job Also? Advice Pls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Quit This Job Or? by 4wardever(m): 12:32am On Apr 16, 2011
In the past two years of my present career and personal development, I have stumbled upon mind blowing information, new skills and happenings within my area of interest and other areas by virtue of my curiosity, patience and loyalty to the consulting firm that I presently work in. I am faithful to my employer and always protecting and contributing to the down line.
The snag however is that I am not so well paid (salary) to even cater for my transport and feeding and the rest for a young,single guy.
Consequently, I am wondering how these resources at my disposal can be converted to cash cos I intend settling down start my family few years from now and add value to society.
Your advice would be truly appreciated.
Re: Should I Quit This Job Or? by chamber2(m): 2:29am On Apr 16, 2011
You have made no point after all this grammar.What exactly do you want?
Re: Should I Quit This Job Or? by Bawss1(m): 10:46am On Apr 16, 2011
chamber2:

Perhaps he wants to know how he can increase his income.

I found the part where he says "I intend settling down start my family few years from now and add value to society" rather amusing. How many people actually say it like that. cheesy

@OP
You haven't said exactly what it is you do, what kind of industry you work in for anyone to give you any reasonable advice.
Re: Should I Quit This Job Or? by AjanleKoko: 12:33pm On Apr 16, 2011
4wardever:

In the past two years of my present career and personal development, I have stumbled upon mind blowing information, new skills and happenings within my area of interest and other areas by virtue of my curiosity, patience and loyalty to the consulting firm that I presently work in. I am faithful to my employer and always protecting and contributing to the down line.
The snag however is that I am not so well paid (salary) to even cater for my transport and feeding and the rest for a young,single guy.
Consequently, I am wondering how these resources at my disposal can be converted to cash cos I intend settling down start my family few years from now and add value to society.
Your advice would be truly appreciated.

You can easily answer those questions yourself. How does your consulting firm make money from those skills and pieces of information? Follow the same route, or find a bigger firm that can pay you more money, and sell them on your skills. Simple.
Re: Should I Quit This Job Or? by 4wardever(m): 3:45pm On Apr 16, 2011
Thanks for the interest guys.

chamber2:

@Chamber2, u didnt read it thoroughly. A bit of empathy wud do. Thanks.

Bawss1:

Perhaps he wants to know how he can increase his income.

I found the part where he says "I intend settling down start my family few years from now [b]and add value to society" rather amusing. How many people actually say it like that. cheesy[/b]

@OPĀ 
You haven't said exactly what it is you do, what kind of industry you work in for anyone to give you any reasonable advice.

Amusing? what is amusing about the value? Whether kids or social responsibility, neither is.
Yeah, rily am interested in increasing my income in the sit-tight, micro-managed firm I work in.

AjanleKoko:

You can easily answer those questions yourself. How does your consulting firm make money from those skills and pieces of information? Follow the same route, or find a bigger firm that can pay you more money, and sell them on your skills. Simple.

@Ajanlekoko, truly u have spoken with much wisdom.
Re: Should I Quit This Job Or? by totalman: 8:15pm On Apr 19, 2011
in your write-up you said you have been in the consulting firm for 2 years. i believe you must have gained knowledge in many and diverse areas. if you focus on one particular experience and develop it . i could see you becoming your own boss very soon. according to Robert Kyosaki when employee complain as you did , what he need is not change of job rather change quadrant to be business owner.
Re: Should I Quit This Job Or? by 4wardever(m): 1:57pm On Apr 20, 2011
@ Total man,
One keyword I have been able to pick from ur advice is FOCUS.

This has been a major challenge as I am being bombarded with a lot of work load. Now I believe this is a reflection of every typical person in paid employment. The demand of the job and that of the employers make most people to lose sight of their personal advancement and value creation for themselves. Even though this may not be intentional, I've discovered it is just part of everyone's daily life that cannot be wished away.

So I think Brother Kiyosaki shoould visit Nigeria soon and write with The Nigerian's eye. cool
Re: Should I Quit This Job Or? by AjanleKoko: 4:53pm On Apr 20, 2011
4wardever:

@ Total man,
One keyword I have been able to pick from your advice is FOCUS.

This has been a major challenge as I am being bombarded with a lot of work load. Now I believe this is a reflection of every typical person in paid employment. The demand of the job and that of the employers make most people to lose sight of their personal advancement and value creation for themselves. Even though this may not be intentional, I've discovered it is just part of everyone's daily life that cannot be wished away.

So I think Brother Kiyosaki shoould visit Nigeria soon and write with The Nigerian's eye. cool

The challenge you're talking about is not peculiar to Nigeria. And there's nothing bad about that. The employer pays you, and has the right to demand your time. If you lose sight of your personal goals, it's not the fault of the employer, it's entirely up to you.
Re: Should I Quit This Job Or? by cashful(m): 10:21am On Apr 26, 2011
AjanleKoko:

The challenge you're talking about is not peculiar to Nigeria. And there's nothing bad about that. The employer pays you, and has the right to demand your time. If you lose sight of your personal goals, it's not the fault of the employer, it's entirely up to you.

You are definitely right Ajanlekoko

issues like this are very common, growth in experience and responsibility at the work place, without an appreciating income, its entirely up to you to decide what you want, Resignation, Getting a new job or starting your own biz are options only you can decide,
Re: Should I Quit This Job Or? by jobskills: 4:18pm On Apr 26, 2011
I think this is the challenge with most people that are caught in the rat race. You know there is something of value in you but how to use it to benefit your personal life is a challenge.

Listen to yourself, you have skills and you are adding value to your organisation but there is nothing to show for it. Guess what! if you dont take a bold step now, 10, 15, 25 years later you will still be lamenting about thesame thing.

My suggestions (which you don't have to take anyway)

1. Find pps to do without conflicting with your organisation deliverables. Some people call it private practice, it is actually personal prosperity. Your employer cannot make you wealthy, they can only give you enough to sustain you (unfortunately this is not even the case with you). You must therefore start creating wealth for your self no matter how small. You can package the mind blowing information and give it to whoever it will be useful to at a fee

2. If truly you are adding value, approach your employer and demand for a pay rise or ask for commission of every business deal rather than salary. Absurd right? Do it if you are adding value, i have done it before, twice. You can increase your inflow

3. Repackage yourself and look for a place where you can add value and be more appreciated. You think its difficult getting a new job? No sir, except you don't have any value to offer

To convert the resources at your disposal to cash, you need to find out how and you can do this by reading books that address your concern, get a mentor/coach to guide you.

If you make up your mind to better your life, you can do it my brother.

Thank you
Re: Should I Quit This Job Or? by Godmother(f): 12:24pm On Apr 27, 2011
Getting informationa nd skills will not put food on your table. Your job may pay you little but its better than nothing. If you want to quit your ob at all, then I 'll advise you[b] to start something with this info you have first and watch it grow[/b] before you take a walk from your job

(1) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Restructures, Sacks Over 100 / Did You Study The Wrong University Course? / New Secrets Of Start Up Your Own Personal Business Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.