Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? (1065 Views)

Nigerians Advised To Buy Black Dolls For Their Kids. See Reactions / Photo Of Man Kissing His Wife & Their Kids Trying To Stop Him / Do Parents Have A Say In Our Financial Matters? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by jossiwan(m): 1:31pm On Apr 07, 2021
Overtime, I've observed that couples tend to speak only "English Language" to their new born baby/kids while they grow.

I once had a discussion with my girlfriend regarding what language our kids will learn and speak at home. I was surprised she opt for "English".

I immediately rebuke her; telling her, they will learn and speak our local dialect and they will go to school and learn English language.

Even if the couples are of different tribe, their kids should be able to speak the local dialect of either the Mother or the Father.

I bet, in the next 50-100 years some local dialect would have gone into extinction.

Do couples see their new born babies as "Foreigners (White)" because of their "skin colour"?

Do couples think their baby/ies can only understand English Language?

So, why is it difficult for Couples to speak and teach their local dialect to their kids?
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by greenie77: 1:43pm On Apr 07, 2021
It is either inferiority complex or neither parent can speak their own local language.
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by foreverme1225: 1:45pm On Apr 07, 2021
It's common these days
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by harmargedon: 1:57pm On Apr 07, 2021
It helps the child, so that when they eventually learn how to speak their own language, they wouldn't use their dialects in speaking English language.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by We4all: 2:01pm On Apr 07, 2021
jossiwan:
Overtime, I've observed that couples tend to speak only "English Language" to their new born baby/kids while they grow.

I once had a discussion with my girlfriend regarding what language our kids will learn and speak at home. I was surprised she opt for "English".

I immediately rebuke her; telling her, they will learn and speak our local dialect and they will go to school and learn English language.

Even if the couples are of different tribe, their kids should be able to speak the local dialect of either the Mother or the Father.

I bet, in the next 50-100 years some local dialect would have gone into extinction.

Do couples see their new born babies as "Foreigners (White)" because of their "skin colour"?

So, why is it difficult for Couples to speak and teach their local dialect to their kids?

Since you don't want your kids to speak English at home, please, don't forget to wear them Iro, Buba and Agbada at home. Also, make sure they eat only local foods like eba, akpu and poundo. After all, they will go to school and eat cookies.

It is also of importance if you don't teach them about Christianity and indoctrinate them with teachings about idols;cos Christianity is a borrowed religion and Africans don't need it.

When they are done learning English at school, don't allow them practice it at home cos it will pollute your indigenous language and make it go extinct.

Finally, ask people who never bothered to learn their native language what they are missing? DJ Cuppy should be in a better position to answer that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by Lcf69(m): 2:03pm On Apr 07, 2021
This is as a result of unconcious culture bomb in our society nowadays...... PINNED.
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by meobizy(f): 3:21pm On Apr 07, 2021
Change her status to a wife to show how serious you are.

The world has moved past local dialects. Business is international nowadays. I don’t know any Caucasian I need to speak Igbo to when conducting a trade or sharing ideas.
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by jossiwan(m): 4:24pm On Apr 07, 2021
We4all:

Since you don't want your kids to speak English at home, please, don't forget to wear them Iro, Buba and Agbada at home. Also, make sure they eat only local foods like eba, akpu and poundo. After all, they will go to school and eat cookies.

It is also of importance if you don't teach them about Christianity and indoctrinate them with teachings about idols;cos Christianity is a borrowed religion and Africans don't need it.

When they are done learning English at school, don't allow them practice it at home cos it will pollute your indigenous language and make it go extinct.

Finally, ask people who never bothered to learn their native language what they are missing? DJ Cuppy should be in a better position to answer that.

Why not ask Wole Soyinka?

Prof speaks Yoruba fluently and is well grounded in English Language.
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by jossiwan(m): 4:33pm On Apr 07, 2021
meobizy:

Change her status to a wife to show how serious you are.

The world has moved past local dialects. Business is international nowadays. I don’t know any Caucasian I need to speak Igbo to when conducting a trade or sharing ideas.

Business is international. Yes!

The Chinese will beg to disagree!
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by SaintMog(m): 3:32am On Apr 08, 2021
Nativity, complex, class-conscious. Even parents that are not fluent in English practice this.

TRUTH: Speaking native language as a child will not affect the quality of your spoken English. They are two different languages. The key is that you must make sure that the child is taught by a good English language teacher.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 08, 2021
Is it not when the parents themselves can speak their indigenous language that they'll teach their offsprings?

I, for instance can't speak my language fluently ( though I understand it very well). So how do I teach my children? Its English
all the way. In fact queens English. Except they are opportuned to learn it in school and that is if it's in their curriculum. Or if their father can speak, no qualms.

I don't really see it as a big deal since it didn't debar me from achieving some things I've been able to achieve in life so far.

in our house, we communicated in English except for my parents who tried to speak igbo to us from time to time make we nor loss. upon all, Only our first and second born could speak it very well but from me down OYO. Lol...

Op, don't worry. Speak if you can but if you can't, communicate in the language you understand. The key thing there is COMMUNICATION.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by HajiaNotu: 10:21am On Apr 08, 2021
U never see couple wey dey speak English to each other.They dont communicate in their local dialects grin
Thats common nowadays.
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by bigjackass: 12:20pm On Apr 08, 2021
No big deal if your child can't speak your language. Not like they even need the language to be successful in today's world. Kids that will probably obtain study visa and leave the country forever. It is more important for your child to be fluent in English than any other language in today's world. For economic reasons. No sentiments

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by merieam16(f): 7:32pm On Apr 08, 2021
bigjackass:
No big deal if your child can't speak your language. Not like they even need the language to be successful in today's world. Kids that will probably obtain study visa and leave the country forever. It is more important for your child to be fluent in English than any other language in today's world. For economic reasons. No sentiments
while ur culture nd language go into extinct
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by Matheusmartin: 7:34pm On Apr 08, 2021
Even the english sef, many of them nor Sabi speak am well..
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by merieam16(f): 7:36pm On Apr 08, 2021
Matheusmartin:
True...
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by Juliearth(f): 8:23am On Apr 09, 2021
jossiwan:

You want your kids to learn English at school so that there peers would be ahead of them? Whilst others are grasping and gaining knowledge, your kids would be lost in lala land trying to have a grip of the language. Moving on, I think its best to give your kids the best of both worlds. Not that I would though (my kids would learn English and French before they turn 6; Spanish and Mandarin before they turn 10).
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by Juliearth(f): 8:29am On Apr 09, 2021
We4all:

LOL! The truth expressed with great humour.
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by jossiwan(m): 8:47am On Apr 09, 2021
merieam16:
while ur culture nd language go into extinct

Exactly.
Another thing is, they lost their identity along the way.
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by okoIYAyin(m): 5:27pm On Apr 09, 2021
Why? Because it's their kids angry
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by Karleb(m): 5:53pm On Apr 09, 2021
We4all:

Alaye! Our local languages and dialect are important.

Your argument is baseless. Don't kids that speak only English wear native attires and eat local dishes?

DJ Cuppy understands and speaks yoruba.

Ramsey Noah, AY, Gordons, Kenny Black, Buhari, Atiku, Obasanjo, Osinbajo to name a few are successful people who speaks their own languages and dialects.

Your argument doesn't hold water. Please let's stop this inferiority complex.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by Karleb(m): 5:56pm On Apr 09, 2021
Matheusmartin:

Na wetin dey pain me pass.

Una dey throw bomb upandan but the native dialect wey una understand una no go wan speak am. Untop say una dey form.

That shit annoys me! angry
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by Karleb(m): 6:00pm On Apr 09, 2021
Juliearth:

You want your kids to learn English at school so that there peers would be ahead of them? Whilst others are grasping and gaining knowledge, your kids would be lost in lala land trying to have a grip of the language. Moving on, I think its best to give your kids the best of both worlds. Not that I would though (my kids would learn English and French before they turn 6; Spanish and Mandarin before they turn 10).

See them! grin grin

I don't know what's wrong with this our generation. The current WTO director, a one time Nigerian finance minister and one time World Bank president to name a few of her accomplishments understand Igbo!
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by The5DME(m): 6:58pm On Apr 09, 2021
What do you mean? Where I stay, na yoruba dem de speak for children here 365 days a year for my side.
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by jossiwan(m): 7:11am On Apr 10, 2021
The5DME:
What do you mean? Where I stay, na yoruba dem de speak for children here 365 days a year for my side.

That's very good.

I've come across some parents who only have secondary school certificate and the only thing they speak to their children is English and not their Yoruba dialect.
Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by SamgoldBaba: 1:29pm On Apr 11, 2021
I used you have a thought that it's wrong to brought them up with English, yet my friend who never speaks Yoruba throughout our stay in children church is now an Interpreter in my church, he later choose to learn our dialect and he's now conversant with the Yoruba language. Therefore, you can choose to bring up your wards with any language of your choice. Meanwhile anytime any day I'd prefer my local dialect

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Parents Tend To Speak Only English Language To Their Kids? by Zenithpeak(m): 11:07pm On Apr 11, 2021
Do I really have any problem with whatever language children are brought up with? No!

Once they are not deaf and dumb, the rest is easy. Our environment plays a larger role in child's L1 nowadays.

As a yoruba man, my wife and I hardly speak any other language other than Yoruba language but when our children were growing up, they grew up with decent tonation and amazing understanding of english language with perfect listening ability. If you like twist your tongue anyhow you like.

They got all those skills by watching cartoons and latter Henry Danger and other international kids programmes on tv. The truth is, our lives on daily basis is being recolonised and we are under strong influence of other people's language in Nigeria.

I also observed that, our local languages and dialects are not sufficient for our day to day activities because of involvement of technology in almost every aspect of our endeavors. for instance; nearly all of our home appliances are pronounced in english and trying to give a yoruba name may cause confusion in the homestead.

Imagine this in yoruba language: spin the duvet before spreading it outdoor.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To My Beautiful Daughter. / Show Glass, fans,chairs, washing basin and other Salon Equipment For Sale / Is It Normal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.