Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,033 members, 7,810,839 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level (51902 Views)

UNICAL's VC Reacts To Death Of Her Student Denied Medical Care Over N200 (Pix) / UNICAL VC, Florence Obi, On Vacation In The United States During ASUU Strike / Meet Florence Obi, University Of Calabar First Female Vice Chancellor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Olayiide: 7:56pm On Apr 13, 2021
Anger, Frustration As University Of Calabar's VC Asks Final-Year Students To Return To 200-Level

Some students of the University of Calabar, Cross River State have called out the institution's new Vice-Chancellor, Florence Obi, for asking final-year students in some selected departments to go back to 200-level due to non-accreditation of their courses by the National Universities Commission.

The students, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told SaharaReporters that the courses have gulped millions of naira taken from their families.

They, therefore, described the VC's decision as inhumane and inconsiderate.

The students explained that courses affected by the accreditation issue include Fine and Applied Arts, Mass Communication, and Music.

According to them, the affected courses were newly introduced during the administration of the immediate past Vice-Chancellor of the school, Zana Akpagu.

They alleged that the new Vice-Chancellor of the institution had personal scores to settle with the former Vice-Chancellor and that the animosity was taking a toll on students' lives.

One of the respondents said, “I have an issue in my school and I don't know where it is heading to. I am a final-year student in the Fine and Applied Arts department at the University of Calabar but the Vice-Chancellor is telling us to go back to Year two so that NUC will recognise us. This is after paying school fees for four years and wasting money for materials which have so far, amounted to millions of naira. The new VC is now telling us we have to comply with this directive else we will not have a result.”

Another student described the VC's directive as unfair, saying the issue should be reconsidered for the sake of the students.

He said, “There's an issue going on that is really unfair. We are students of the University of Calabar. We have been in the school from 100 level to final year. For some of us in selected departments such as Fine & Applied Arts, Mass Communication and the rest, the VC is are telling us that we have to go back to 200 level and we are already in the final year.

“We have spent money; Fine and Applied Arts gulps a lot of money, we are in final year and now they are telling us to go back to 200 level and it is just an accreditation issued by the NUC and now the new VC does not want to consider people. Something has to be done.”

When asked if the VC promised a tuition waiver for the students, he replied that school fees were the least of his worries but rather the time and efforts wasted over the years.

He continued, “Paying school fees is not an issue, we are not worried about that. Do you know, sometimes, in a day we spend like N5, 000 to N6, 000 in buying chemicals and the rest and we did this for four years. We are planning on taking legal steps against them.

“Our set is the first set of Fine & Applied Arts in UNICAL alongside Mass Communication and Music, they were not taking the course before now, they just registered it.

“The former VC, we believe has an issue with the new VC and this new VC cannot go and settle the issues they have so we can graduate in peace, they are making it to affect us. The former VC introduced the courses. We cannot suffer because of someone else's personal problems.”

http://saharareporters.com/2021/04/13/anger-frustration-university-calabars-vc-asks-final-year-students-return-200-level

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Vulcanheph(m): 7:06am On Apr 14, 2021
Na wah oh... Let my people go na?

I just made FTC for the first time.... Abeg Seun and Lalasticlala make una give me my price.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Nobody: 7:47am On Apr 14, 2021
Olayiide:
According to information gathered by Sahara Reporters through the anonymity of some students of the University of Calabar, the newly appointed Vice- Chancellor Florence Obi stated that Final year students would return to 200 level

This revelation mounted a lot of anger and frustration from the students who explained that they have spent several thousands of naira just to take those courses.

Florence Obi- the now Vice- Chancellor, asked students in some departments to go back to 200 level due to non-accreditation of their...continue reading: https://thescoove.africa/anger-mounts-in-unical-as-vice-chancellor-asks-final-years-students-to-return-to-200-level/
WTF
Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Freestainworld(m): 7:51am On Apr 14, 2021
This is very wicked of her, after paying through the nose, surviving incessant strikes , then they ask the. to go back to 200level , very insane

122 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by lordopsy2018(m): 8:49am On Apr 14, 2021

1 Like

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Akwamkpuruamu: 8:49am On Apr 14, 2021
Wahala be like akwa mkpụrụ amụ Buhari

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by pickatyou1: 8:50am On Apr 14, 2021
I swear every thing don turn cruise for Nigeria.

Check my signature if you have a car and interested in installing a tracking device. It might interest you

3 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by olaboy33(m): 8:50am On Apr 14, 2021
My brain is fatigued from thinking how Nigeria is in a downward spiral with things deteriorating at a rapid rate.

When I read these now incessant bad news, I just shrug it off and await the next one to shrug off.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Sunisonflex39(m): 8:50am On Apr 14, 2021
nnn
Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by seanwilliam(m): 8:50am On Apr 14, 2021
Like, if you’re tired of this country

179 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by DoctorDree(m): 8:50am On Apr 14, 2021
Lol,typical Nigeria academic system,they act like they are one kind of a semi god......

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Kento4ken: 8:50am On Apr 14, 2021
She dey crazy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by demolinka(m): 8:50am On Apr 14, 2021
If her own poking dey affected, she go take dis Kain action?

7 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by jimmychang: 8:51am On Apr 14, 2021
School na scam for Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by KnightsTemplar(m): 8:51am On Apr 14, 2021
Is it the students fault that the courses were not accredited. Nigeria and Frustration = 5&6

14 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by chiefolododo(m): 8:51am On Apr 14, 2021
I don't understand, final year students should go to part 2 , this is pure evil.

27 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by honeyhoney(m): 8:51am On Apr 14, 2021
Will he return all the money and time the student have spent ?

6 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Sunisonflex39(m): 8:51am On Apr 14, 2021
what fuckery..
Mrs vice chancellor, it's like your brain is paining you..
I no blame you. I blame this set of students that don't know their rights. if it was in the olden days. them no born this woman well to yarn dust..

32 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Rhaspody(m): 8:51am On Apr 14, 2021
Naija which way

1 Like

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Refinedbeing(m): 8:51am On Apr 14, 2021
Drag that moro.n.ic school to court. Let them pay damages. Very stupid of them.

24 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Tigaromil: 8:51am On Apr 14, 2021
Is that even possible?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by tosik(m): 8:52am On Apr 14, 2021
nothing wey person no go see for this corntree...

2 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 8:52am On Apr 14, 2021
The VC na Akanke Billions witchcraft member grin

1 Like

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by filleSouriante(f): 8:52am On Apr 14, 2021
This can only happen in Nigeria.

In my own opinion I think the best idea is that the final year students should be distributed across other universities in Nigeria that has fine and Applied art accreditation. Just that their certificate might bear the new institutions name and they might have to go back a year compared to two years.

I could remember years back at Uni we have some final year engineering students from Uniabuja that has this accreditation problem too. Their school distributed them across other Universities in Nigeria. Just that they have to go back a year

19 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by alpamo6: 8:52am On Apr 14, 2021
I wish her children will experience same.

3 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by goodyvin02(m): 8:52am On Apr 14, 2021
The future is female, see am here

8 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by alphaconde(m): 8:53am On Apr 14, 2021
imagine taking her PHD from her how would she feel

Let all this people in power be using brain sometimes

17 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Vlibray: 8:53am On Apr 14, 2021
Is this a joke or what
Which kain thing be dis na

3 Likes

Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Defendingjacob(m): 8:53am On Apr 14, 2021
university this days be like "OTA AKARA"

Meanwhile 500gb external hard drive with HD 720P and 1080p movies are available,if you looking for where you can get all those nice old series like spartacus,legend of the seeker,prison break and also new series,check my signature.
Re: UNICAL VC, Florence Obi Asks Final Year Students To Return To 200 Level by Lashist(m): 8:53am On Apr 14, 2021
seanwilliam:
Like, if you’re tired of this country
I thought you love the hell out of this country?? At least you still have 2 babes grin cheesy...shouldnt you be grateful?

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

11 OOU Students Die In Tragic Car Accident (photos) / Why Is university certificate Called Bachelors Degree? / Anambra Secondary Students Wear Native Cloths To School On Wednesdays

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.