Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,257 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? (47659 Views)

Is Lexus ES 330 Truly Hard To Maintain? / Is Lexus IS 250 A Good Buy? / Advice : Is Lexus The Best Car To Buy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:44am On Apr 14, 2021
Over the last 2 years, I have seen over 8 accidents that involves a Lexus IS 250, I don't want to pin this down to anything but it's obvious that most yahoo Boys like the car and they buy it every now and then.

Knowing the wayward life of yahoo Boys, they are always reckless when they drive and most are either high or drunk thus the number of accidents involving this car. But one thing I've noticed in all of these accidents is the level of damage on that car every time.

The car is always a write off or almost a write off.
Just last week, I was driving from Akure to Ondo and I saw a lexus IS beside the road, it has been in an accident and as always, it was a write off and it has obviously been axed so as to get the occupants out.

I'm really curious, why is that car always a write off after an accident. It is the structure (cuz it's a small car) or just the seriousness of the accident?

I have seen other brands of cars involved in serious accidents and the car managed to maintain its structure so the driver could get out. Personally I don't think a car should be severely damaged if a big truck is not involved.
Aside that, IS 250 is a car I admire a lot.

Note: The picture attached to post is from online pls. I don't take pictures from accident scenes cuz I believe it's disrespectful to whoever is involved.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by sexyto(m): 6:41pm On Apr 14, 2021
May be too much speed and weak roof structure.

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by ekene101: 6:58pm On Apr 14, 2021
Driving from akure to ondo

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:06pm On Apr 14, 2021
ekene101:
Driving from akure to ondo
Yes... Driving from Akure to Ondo. Meanwhile, that picture is from online pls. I don't take pictures from accident scenes cuz I believe it's disrespectful to whoever is involved.

104 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by chronos00: 7:10pm On Apr 14, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
Over the last 2 years, I have seen over 8 accidents that involves a Lexus IS 250, I don't want to pin this down to anything but it's obvious that most yahoo Boys like the car and they buy it every now and then. Knowing the wayward life of yahoo Boys, they are always reckless when they drive and most are either high or drunk thus the number of accidents involving this car. But one thing I've noticed in all of these accidents is the level of damage on that car every time. The car is always a write off or almost a write off.
Just last week, I was driving from Akure to Ondo and I saw a lexus IS beside the road, it has been in an accident and as always, it was a write off and it has obviously been axed so as to get the occupants out.
I'm really curious, why is that car always a write off after an accident. It is the structure (cuz it's a small car) or just the seriousness of the accident?
I have seen other brands of cars involved in serious accidents and the car managed to maintain its structure so the driver could get out. Personally I don't think a car should be severely damaged if a big truck is not involved.
Aside that, IS 250 is a car I admire a lot.

Note: The picture attached to post is from online pls. I don't take pictures from accident scenes cuz I believe it's disrespectful to whoever is involved.

What vehicle would you say this is/was?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Readonee35L(m): 7:24pm On Apr 14, 2021
chronos00:

Acura Tl

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 9:57pm On Apr 14, 2021
chronos00:

That's an Acura but you can't compare since I'm sure you have no idea what happened to that car. That is probably an accident that involved a truck. I'm talking of lone accidents that still rendered IS250 useless.
Some months ago, some boys were driving fast at night in Ondo here. Some say they were being pursued by police, some said no one was chasing them but what I know is they crash the car into a pole and sent it tumbling a few times. That IS250 was moved to a dump site at the same location I visit when I want to repair my car. The vehicle is a write off. I looked closely and I can tell you, there is absolutely nothing that's still useful in that ride.
Before you ask, the boys didn't die but even till now, all three are still in the hospital with multiple broken bones.
Now another scenario, 4 boys, driving a benz, coming from Lagos. Met the accident along Benin road, car was hit by a truck from behind and the force sent the car tumbling several times. I met the 4 boys there, looking at the damages on the car. They are fine. Yes the car took a hit everywhere but it stood and they could still get out.

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by chronos00: 11:29pm On Apr 14, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

That's an Acura but you can't compare since I'm sure you have no idea what happened to that car. That is probably an accident that involved a truck. I'm talking of lone accidents that still rendered IS250 useless.
Some months ago, some boys were driving fast at night in Ondo here. Some say they were being pursued by police, some said no one was chasing them but what I know is they crash the car into a poll and sent it tumbling a few times. That IS250 was moved to a dump site at the same location I visit when I want to repair my car. The vehicle is a write off. I looked closely and I can tell you, there is absolutely nothing that's still useful in that ride.
Before you ask, the boys didn't die but even till know, all three are still in the hospital with multiple broken bones.
Now another scenario, 4 boys, driving a benz, coming from Lagos. Met the accident along Benin road, car was hit by a truck from being and the force sent the car tumbling several times. I met the 4 boys there, looking at the damages in the car. They are fine. Yes the car took a hit everywhere but it stood and they could still get out.

Lol

Bros, you say I can't make comparisons, but its obvious that the entire purpose of your posts and this thread, is to compare the IS250 to other vehicles, Mercedes Benz models, for instance.

Those pictures I posted are pictures of 2012 Acura TL, the same model you own and drive, all mangled up, I strongly doubt that anybody survived those wrecks.

You're trying to create the impression that the IS250 is an unsafe vehicle, based on wrecks you claim to have come across. I could also make the same claim for the Acura, based on those pictures.

There are several factors that affect structural integrity. Prior collisions, unsafe handling, are a few of them. If the IS 250 were a structurally unsafe vehicle, that would have been revealed a long time ago by the people who buy these vehicles new, and who use them for hundreds of thousands of miles, before we receive them.

So bros, avoid the fallacy of hasty generalization. Anecdotes sound good, but aren't always factual.

121 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by DAVE5(m): 7:43am On Apr 15, 2021
chronos00:

Lol

Bros, you say I can't make comparisons, but its obvious that the entire purpose of your posts and this thread, is to compare the IS250 to other vehicles, Mercedes Benz models, for instance.

Those pictures I posted are pictures of 2012 Acura TL, the same model you own and drive, all mangled up, I strongly doubt that anybody survived those wrecks.

You're trying to create the impression that the IS250 is an unsafe vehicle, based on wrecks you claim to have come across. I could also make the same claim for the Acura, based on those pictures.

There are several factors that affect structural integrity. Prior collisions, unsafe handling, are a few of them. If the IS 250 were a structurally unsafe vehicle, that would have been revealed a long time ago by the people who buy these vehicles new, and who use them for hundreds of thousands of miles, before we receive them.

So bros, avoid the fallacy of hasty generalization. Anecdotes sound good, but aren't always factual.

I like what you wrote and how you wrote it

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 8:11am On Apr 15, 2021
chronos00:

Lol

No you cannot make such claims based on pictures of wreaked cars be it Acura or Benz. You need to know the history of such accident before you conclude that the damage is either justified or not.
The examples I mentioned are incidents that I witnessed so I know that the level of wreakage looks a lot more exaggerated than the actual cause of the accident. Imagine a car that collided with a tree then getting to the spot and seeing that the car is so badly damaged that you could barely look under it. Know that this collision shouldn't have made this car this terribly damaged, you wonder if this has something to do with how the car was made.

It's totally different from lifting a picture online without having an in-depth knowledge of what exactly happened to the car and why it's so flat and assuming that just because the first car was badly damaged from a tree collision, this same car (which may had suffered a worse fate) is also badly damaged.
If a truck walks over a car and it's flat, the extend of damage is understandable but it becomes confusing if a car ran into a pillar and you see so many airbags and all the passengers squeezed together as if a truck walked over the car!
Hopefully you get my point.

This is not a topic I like to discuss any further, especially since I'm traveling again today and you just showed me my type of car in a terrible state. Thanks though, I'll drive carefully grin

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 8:42am On Apr 15, 2021
OP, you get small point,most Lexus sedan accident I see the car is always a write off,there was one posted in nairaland that happened in ekpoma and the driver was a car dealer,he was driving an es330,omo when I see the car I shock.the car split and separate in multiple places,it was a total wreck.but I know lexus to be strong car,dnt knw why it's so mangled up easily.maybe na scrap Lexus dem dey ship come naija,maybe

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by CocoaOla: 5:28pm On Apr 15, 2021
that the power of 300 horse power beast engines with small size light weight cars

always mind your speed and controls when you are in a high horse power small cars drive slowly speed kills

in the name of showing of Bugatti, Ferrari this thing as send many celebrities worldwide to early grave

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Aaaaarghmed(m): 5:39pm On Apr 15, 2021
CocoaOla:
that the power of 300 horse power beast engines with small size light weight cars

always mind your speed and controls when you are in a high horse power small cars drive slowly speed kills
I believe this,they are too light for the horsepower they carry hence the severe impact and damage on collision

20 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by sultaan(m): 1:10am On Apr 16, 2021
First you should know some of the cars on Nigerian roads had been scrapped due to accident and improperly repaired before being sold to the public.

In some cases what really matters is that the driver/ occupants go back home to their family.

I don't know we're you guys saw a IS 250 with 300 hp.
The car is a little over 200 hp. More like a muscular Corolla.If you claim a 204 hp car is powerful then a keke is normal.
A lot of people can't really drive before getting their first car and they always wreck it. 204 hp at 6500rpm is nothing to get thrilled about

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 3:10am On Apr 16, 2021
sultaan:
First you should know some of the cars on Nigerian roads had been scrapped due to accident and improperly repaired before being sold to the public.

In some cases what really matters is that the driver/ occupants go back home to their family.

I don't know we're you guys saw a IS 250 with 300 hp.
The car is a little over 200 hp. More like a muscular Corolla.If you claim a 204 hp car is powerful then a keke is normal.
A lot of people can't really drive before getting their first car and they always wreck it. 204 hp at 6500rpm is nothing to get thrilled about
I was wondering where they got 300hp too. Obviously the size of that car can't carry a 300hp engine.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by seanfer(m): 5:58am On Apr 16, 2021
OP. My own contribution is that over 50% of cars in this country are dead already but once we shine them with paints we think they’re at the best level. Go to some car stands and see the rust bucket they’re trying to sell as foreign use. Come to PH and see so many dead vehicles on the stands.
Any little collision the vehicle will scatter.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:21am On Apr 16, 2021
seanfer:
OP. My own contribution is that over 50% of cars in this country are dead already but once we shine them with paints we think they’re at the best level. Go to some car stands and see the rust bucket they’re trying to sell as foreign use. Come to PH and see so many dead vehicles on the stands.
Any little collision the vehicle will scatter.
Very true

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by 9icetoo(m): 8:00am On Apr 16, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

I was wondering where they got 300hp too. Obviously the size of that car can't carry a 300hp engine.
And who told you the size of the is250 can't accommodate a 500hp engine?
Your post is just full of anecdotal evidence. Nothing concrete. You really don't seem to understand how modern cars are made.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by BamBamK: 9:32am On Apr 16, 2021
perhaps he was referencing the is350

Kelvin30286063:

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by seanfer(m): 9:46am On Apr 16, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

IS350 has 306 horsepower. and its the same body size with the 250

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by kingreign(m): 10:46am On Apr 16, 2021
sexyto:
May be too much speed and weak roof structure.

Na you test am wey make you conclude say na weak roof structure abi?

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:16am On Apr 16, 2021
9icetoo:

Your post is just full of anecdotal evidence. Nothing concrete. You really don't seem to understand how modern cars are made.
Oga shut up... The is250 I was referring to in my post cannot carry a 300hp engine. If you mean the is350 then yes but the 250 has a really small engine bay. You don't just talk abeg.
I'm not referring to modified cars as well

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Gravatar: 11:41am On Apr 16, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Oga shut up... The is250 I was referring to in my post cannot carry a 300hp engine. If you mean the is350 then yes but the 250 has a really small engine bay. You don't just talk abeg.

Just look at this guy

Sometimes I go see topic for this cartalk and I go wan join talk, give my opinion

But over time I don notice say many people wey dey post things here, no really sabi much about cars and how they work, most things they post, na from ignorance

You, na good example.

So you no sabi say IS350 and IS250 na exactly the same shape and size?

SMH

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:49am On Apr 16, 2021
Gravatar:

Just look at this guy

Sometimes I go see topic for this cartalk and I go wan join talk, give my opinion

But over time I don notice say many people wey dey post things here, no really sabi much about cars and how they work, most things they post, na from ignorance

You, na good example.

So you no sabi say IS350 and IS250 na exactly the same shape and size?

SMH
Dude, Acura tl front will drive is the same car as Acura tl all wheel drive tech version. But open the bunnet, you will see differences.
SMH

1 Like

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by PAQ(m): 12:04pm On Apr 16, 2021
You already stated some reasons why you see alot of written off IS250's. i am sure you are talking of the second generation IS250 (2005 - 2015), be mindful that the car is a compact sedan with alot of power; a V6 with top speed of 230 kph (143 mph) and and 0 - 100km in 7.6 seconds (a little bit faster as the years go by). It has a perfect 5 star rating in terms of crash tests done by NHTSA (National Highway Traffic System Administration) so that rules out any structural defects.

The reasons why you see them in such accidents are because:

- Is250/ 350 target audience are young people unlike its big brother ES350
- its the first car to some of its owners
- Its a fast car compared to your average commute
- The owners are the out going type & single, unlike ES350 whos owners are the conservative type & mostly family people
- The drivers are usually drunk or on drugs (intoxicated)

Now when you have a combination of a single, intoxicated, inexperienced driver with no responsibilities behind a fast machine feeling untop of the world because he has some money, what do you expect apart from beta accident??

68 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 1:17pm On Apr 16, 2021
PAQ:
You already stated some reasons why you see alot of written off IS250's. i am sure you are talking of the second generation IS250 (2005 - 2015), be mindful that the car is a compact sedan with alot of power; a V6 with top speed of 230 kph (143 mph) and and 0 - 100km in 7.6 seconds (a little bit faster as the years go by). It has a perfect 5 star rating in terms of crash tests done by NHTSA (National Highway Traffic System Administration) so that rules out any structural defects.

The reasons why you see them in such accidents are because:

- Is250/ 350 target audience are young people unlike its big brother ES350
- its the first car to some of its owners
- Its a fast car compared to your average commute
- The owners are the out going type & single, unlike ES350 whos owners are the conservative type & mostly family people
- The drivers are usually drunk or on drugs (intoxicated)

Now when you have a combination of a single, intoxicated, inexperienced driver with no responsibilities behind a fast machine feeling untop of the world because he has some money, what do you expect apart from beta accident??
Uhmmm... Wisdom. Thanks

10 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by 9icetoo(m): 1:32pm On Apr 16, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

The bolded is one of the reasons the FRSC guy slapped you.
You still have a lot to learn. It may be a faceless forum but decorum and manners are still required. It will help you in real life as well.

Engine horsepower is not necessarily determined by engine size.
The formula 1 engines weigh far less than the engine in the is250 and occupy less space yet they churn out power in excess of 400hp.
You can cram that engine into the engine bay of the is250 and it will fit. There are many engines north of 300hp that can be crammed into the engine bay of the is250 and it will fit. The engine in an is250 can be tuned to churn out over 300hp by tuners.

This is my last response on this discussion.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:45pm On Apr 16, 2021
Stupid thread.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 2:26pm On Apr 16, 2021
9icetoo:

The bolded is one of the reasons the FRSC guy slapped you.
You still have a lot to learn. It may be a faceless forum but decorum and manners are still required. It will help you in real life as well.

Engine horsepower is not necessarily determined by engine size.
The formula 1 engines weigh far less than the engine in the is250 and occupy less space yet they churn out power in excess of 400hp.
You can cram that engine into the engine bay of the is250 and it will fit. There are many engines north of 300hp that can be crammed into the engine bay of the is250 and it will fit. The engine in an is250 can be tuned to churn out over 300hp by tuners.

This is my last response on this discussion.
lol grin Nairaland and indeed the internet is not "faceless" by any stretch of the word, people never just get him time.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by sexyto(m): 2:34pm On Apr 16, 2021
kingreign:

Na you test am wey make you conclude say na weak roof structure abi?
Abi I no fit post my opinion again in peace?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Lovecars501(m): 3:47pm On Apr 16, 2021
9icetoo:

bror how far wit the suv nw(sorry for derailing thread)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'Men Are Idiots And I Married Their King' - Nigerian Lady's Car Sticker Reads / Bajaj Launches Re 250 Superkeke In Nigeria, Unveils Jay Jay Okocha As Ambassador / Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.