Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,536 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents (21839 Views)

FCTA Demolishes Buildings, Properties Worth Millions As Abuja Residents Lament / Police Have Abandoned Us, Nitel/mtel Ikorodu Estate Residents Lament / Lady Celebrates As She Rents A House For The 1st Time After 8yrs of Squating(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by COFFINSELLER: 3:51pm On Apr 17, 2021
Residents of Awka, Anambra capital, and Onitsha, the commercial hub, have expressed worries over the astronomical hike in rents.

The respondents made their feelings known in separate interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Awka.

They complained that rents for residential houses, offices and shops were becoming so high that they now adversely affect the living standards of residents.

Miss Uchenna Okafor, a computer operator in the Aroma area of Awka, said she was initially paying N80,000 for a single room self-contained, but lamented that her landlord later raised the rent to N120,000 per annum.

Another resident, Titus Maduako, said he used to pay N300,000 yearly for a three-bedroom apartment he lived, but said that his landlord recently served the occupants a notice increasing the rent to N400,000.

Mr Alloy Attah, who resides in Onitsha, also said that rents for shops and offices in the commercial city had gone out of the reach of the low and middle classes.

“About two years ago, you can hire a shop for between N5,000 and N10,000, but now the rent has doubled, the same applies to offices and residential apartments”, he said.

He noted that the situation was adversely affecting the residents who had other family needs to cater for.

Mr Ignatius Nwanando, an estate agent in Awka, blamed some landlords for the rent hike.

`Some landlords will tell you to increase the rent to the same level with recently built houses regardless of the fact that the new ones have modern facilities compared to the old buildings.

“They will equally say that you should add caution fee, agreement fee and the main rent and we too must get our percentage as agents too”,
he said.

Nwanando said that it was up to the state governments to legislate on real estate matters with a view to reducing the challenges faced by urban dwellers.

Mr Paulinus Uche, a landlord in Awka, said the hike on rent was due to arbitrary increase in the prices of building materials and the excessive charges by government regulatory agencies.

“Those blaming landlords for rent increase should visit the market and price building materials.

“Apart from that, enquire on what it takes to buy a plot of land in any state capital in the South-East, start excavation and see the army of government and community agents that would be visiting your site”, he said.

Uche said that government must be sincere in handling the factors that resulted led to the hike in rents.

“For instance, we heard that a bag of cement produced in another African country sells lower than the price we currently pay in Nigeria, even when it is our son that owned both factories.

“Our leaders should look into such matters to make live better for the people”, he said.

(NAN)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by NwaNimo1(m): 3:55pm On Apr 17, 2021
Odikwa maka security provisions......and Inflation Buhari

[img]https://media1./images/bbc0c2df2e8f8730356ed877b41930d7/tenor.gif?itemid=15100453[/img]

(Pay up.....Biko)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by WiszyFraud: 3:55pm On Apr 17, 2021
Did you know??

The more homework that a child receives, the more likely that child is to suffer from depression.

cheesy

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Sammy07: 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
Things are more costly in the East tho. sad

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by FDMS: 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
Thats expected btw download foreign dj mixtapes on foreigndjmixtapes.com

4 Likes

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by lasthero: 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
Lagos own na die.

Ordinary boys quarter in magodo is about 500k now.
Excluding agent, agreement and commissions ooooo.

Odidi half a million naira

86 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
rent hikes are everywhere

even Uyo has experienced a serious rent hike
there is a scarcity of new houses in reference to new population

4 Likes

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by chiemmanuel(m): 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
Dearth of government funded residential estates are the cause
If govt can continue building low cost houses, issues like this won't arise

Rural development is also key ,decongest the urban areas,provide rural infrastructure

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by crackhouse(m): 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
O dikwa egwu really
Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
It's Everywhere, even in warri.
If you are renting a 2 bedroom apartment now in warri, your rent is about 10-20% of building a 2 bedroom flat embarassed

Please, check my signature

3 Likes

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Lamasta(m): 3:57pm On Apr 17, 2021
Cost of living is way higher too grin in fact self na we the citizens be our biggest enemy to ourself in this nation

13 Likes

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by LMS1(m): 3:57pm On Apr 17, 2021
I Hate To Say This But I Must Say It:
"Ajmaajagtgpgjgtjajgmtjajjgjgjptjjatgjgagtbgjagjamjmhjtajmagagt" To President Buhari.

That Is An Arab Word Meaning "Reduce The Cost Of Living In This Country Or Else"

#Say No To Weed grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Golan007: 3:57pm On Apr 17, 2021
East doing East.

Nothing to see here.

6 Likes

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by FalseProphet1(m): 3:57pm On Apr 17, 2021
I see Nigerians going back to mud houses with rafia palm roofs, because of hardship, I see youth both male and female walking nakéd due to their inability to afford clothes, I see all the top government officials being murdered, I see a new government arising to save Nigerians. This I have seen.

13 Likes

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by FacelessKing: 3:57pm On Apr 17, 2021
400k for a 3-bedroom in Anambra

We’re really suffering in this port harcourt ooo

My one bedroom is 450k and eii no even standard like that sef

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by maximunimpact(m): 3:58pm On Apr 17, 2021
grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Nobody: 3:58pm On Apr 17, 2021
Noted
Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by dake40(m): 3:58pm On Apr 17, 2021
When will Lagosians protest?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by irepnaija4eva(m): 4:00pm On Apr 17, 2021
The rent has increased everywhere

1 Like

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by PussyKing(m): 4:01pm On Apr 17, 2021
grin

Come to Rivers And See

2 Likes

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 17, 2021
So what should those of us in Lagos do?

Lagos is the worst. A single room selfcon is 350k now and that's even the least you can get cos some are 650 to750k in my area. Then Three bedroom flat is around 1.6 to 2 million naira per annum.

God help us with this housing issue.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Mblingz(m): 4:01pm On Apr 17, 2021
Opoor
Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by SmartPolician: 4:01pm On Apr 17, 2021
Jamesbally:
Another good news from the East. When Nnandi Kanu, IPOB TERRORIST and ESN are done with the EAST ehn. The region will become a shadow of itself. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The large contingent of senseless youths that invade Nairaland every day is rather worrisome. What do Nigerian youths typically learn in school these days? undecided undecided undecided undecided

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2021
grin probably the yahoo boys
Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2021
Most landlords are wicked. Thank God I don't pay rent anymore.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Raxxye(m): 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2021
Time to rush and build residential houses and shops in Onitsha and Awka so I can cash out
Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by RichDad1(m): 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2021
Let’s blame Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents by Onlinesmart: 4:02pm On Apr 17, 2021
God, you have plenty reasons for sending me to this country. You're the only one who can make life easy for me in this hellhole. Give me succor and fortunes to survive this country's hardship. (Amen)

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fake Landlady Absconds With 16 Million From 65 Potential Tenants / Lady Curses Lagos Fire Service For Not Coming Two Hours After She Called / EXECUTIVE BATHROOM NEEDS HERE WITH PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.