Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,598 members, 7,812,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

Biography Of Chief Sam-Warri Essi-Idesoh By Peter Ufuoma Onoriode - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Biography Of Chief Sam-Warri Essi-Idesoh By Peter Ufuoma Onoriode (1932 Views)

Ikwerre: Chief Sam Nwanosike Crowned "Eze Okwu Eme" Of Aluu Clan (Pictures). / Prince Tsola Emiko To Succeed Olu Of Warri, Ogiame Ikenwoli / Prince Monday Obukeni Weds 2 Women Ufuoma Ozoro, Oghale Andrew Same Day In Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biography Of Chief Sam-Warri Essi-Idesoh By Peter Ufuoma Onoriode by Opharhe: 1:42am On Apr 27, 2021
Chief Sam-Warri Essi-Idesoh
(1860-1975)

During the burial I attended recently in Delta State, as we were gisting while cooking was ongoing, we started singing some old songs and talking about some of our heroes past. Urhobo modern history cannot be complete without mentioning the name of Essi so as we got talking about him, his life and exploits, I showed this picture to the deceased's in-law there while she worked, I call her Mama Akpevwe. Immediately she saw it, she exclaimed, 'Yes, na him be this', 'Oshare ogagan(strong man)', 'Short man devil' etc.

Indeed Essi of Igbudu was said to have had a small stature but Papa did great things. From his pictures I've seen, I think he had a light skin too... Not your typical fearsome person by appearance. But hmmmm... From what we've heard, the man was something else.

He was, until his death, the Olotu of Agbarha-Ame, Warri. The Olotu is similar rank to a Field Marshall in our traditional military organization. He is the head of the Igbu(traditional warriors) society of Agbarha-Ame. I mentioned it before elsewhere that until post-colonial times where many Urhobo traditional states saw the need to establish Kingships for themselves, Agbarha-Ame was more or less a Militocracy. The Olotu was the overall leader and protector of the realm.

Essi inherited the title of Olotu from another great warrior called Ogunu. Ogunu was said to have been a skilled and fearless Hunter. The legendary musician, poet and storyteller, Chief Ogute Ottan in his song about Chief Essi said, Ogunu in one of his hunting exploits, killed an 'Adjalakpo'(Leopard if I'm not mistaken) with his bare hands. Before Ogunu was Avwunudu, said to have been so warlike, about the greatest Olotu Agbarha ever saw before Essi. Infact, Ogute says "Egba r'Avwunudu kwa br'Essi ra", In other words, the power of Avwunudu came upon Essi.

Essi's Ancestry

He was the son of Idesọ, Idesọ, son Of Erhikpo and Erhikpo the son of Gborodje who was among the earlier founders of Agbarha-Ame.

It appears too that Essi was related to Ughievwen through Otokutu. He's said to have built a house there in my mum's quarter of Ekrewghwero in Otokutu and I've been told it's his mother he built it for. I'm still unsure how exactly he was related to Otokutu.

What made Essi special?

I think one major reason is that in Essi's face, Agbarha-Ame evolved from a strictly traditional society to a modern society in colonial Urhoboland, Warri and Nigeria and then into an independent Nigeria. Essi was born and grew up at a time when people will travel by treks from Ughelli to Benin-City and move from Warri to Lagos through the waterways by boat, spending several days in the journey, to a time when people drove cars around - including himself.

As a youth, he traveled to the Old Gold Coast(today's Ghana) to hustle and get his own share of the booty in the gold rush. One of the first of our people to have gone that far and returned, if you understand what I mean.
On returning, he left for Forcados, coastal Ijawland, Delta State, still working with Europeans. He must have exploited the seas throughout his working days. On leaving Forcados, he settled fully in his native Igbudu, Warri and led his people till his dying days.

Papa was a man of war. As Olotu, his appearance during the Bi-anniel Idju Owhurie festival was said to have been a sight to behold. He is said to have typically wielded a particular short sword with which he did great exploits. I can only imagine because from what I've seen in Otovwodo during the Idju festivals, the Olotu, appearing in full battle dress, looks so scary, I don't know how else to express it- he carries an aura of death!

On some issues affecting the Agbarha people and Urhobo generally, Essi fought hard, defending the rights of his people at different levels and dimensions- physical conflicts and confrontations, several legal battles especially on matters of land, advocacy at government levels etc. He was indeed an Olotu and fiery warrior in every respect conceivable.

Before Essi died, he was already a legend. Even at his old age, and in his frailty, hearing of Essi's presence or passing by his compound struck fear in the minds of people- he was an awe inspiring man. He lived to a ripe old age of 115 years. He died in 1975 and his burial was glorious. Infact, a holiday was observed in Warri for it's sake. See me wey dey talk sef, my mum was just 5 years old when Essi was buried, Lol but stories of Essi's life and exploits still resonate even today.

He is said to have also had a good relationship with the Igbu society in Ughievwen and in other Urhobo traditional states, Ogute talks about the show the Igbu r'Ughievwen put up during his burial. Why not? A pan-Urhobo leader of Essi's standing will have strong ties and connections here and there. He was called Ọsẹ r'Urhobo - Father of Urhobo!

The Idju battle performance which the people of Agbarha staged in his honour as part of his burial must have been a great spectacle. Yes, with a magnificent show of war, they bade the great warrior farewell. The 'egbada' dance processions, the canon fires, the drama and all that, Ogute talked about them too.

I remember one time in my childhood, my grandma pointing to one old woman in our compound in Otokutu then, a grand Aunty of mine, and telling me that the cloth she's wearing was from Essi's burial. I was wowed. That day, another discussion centered around Essi was held among the older people around. Yes, Urhobo people don't get tired talking about Essi r'Igbudu.

The day I saw Essi's graveside in Igbudu, even as a child, I took a pause and looked at the place. Pieces of information I've heard about him raced through my head, I felt like I was seeing history and greatness before me. I had goosebumps.

Essi was so popular, especially with the several land cases he was executing, or for some other reasons I may not be able to tell, the Late Chief Ademola Adetokunbo, Nigeria's first Chief Justice after retirement visited Warri and paid a courtesy call to Chief Essi of Igbudu. Ogute says Papa hosted and entertained Ademola well and even gifted him a traditional staff to take home for souvenir.

One popular song that always features during the Idju Owhurie festival says: "t'obọna t'obọna, Essi mu'agada vw'ugbenu". It's a testament to the man's prowess in the field of battle. Papa did his bit and eked his name in Agbarha and Urhobo history forever.

For an Urhobo person, 3 prayers and aspirations are basic in this world- Igho(money), Emọ(children) and Otọvwe(long life) and when achieved, a person is considered fulfilled in this world and in the world beyond. Papa Essi of Igbudu was a man of means and died rich, he had many children and lived long enough to a ripe old age. 115 years no be joke. Full package.

Papa was also committed to modern education. I attended Essi College, Warri throughout my secondary education. He established the school on a sizeable land in Igbudu and ran it as a private school until government took it over. So I'm a product and beneficiary of his legacy too, maybe it's part of what inspires my interest in him. Traditional as he was, yet highly passionate about modern education and advancement.

I still look forward to writing a concise biography about him and others like him who I believe have not had much justice done to them and their legacy in writing and documentation.
Your name will never be forgotten, Ọsẹ.

Olotu r'Agbarha!
Ọsẹ r'Urhobo!
Oshare ri t'obọ t'unu!
Ọgba gidogido!
Ugo n'ọfure!

Forever in our hearts, great man. ❤️

1 Like

Re: Biography Of Chief Sam-Warri Essi-Idesoh By Peter Ufuoma Onoriode by Eriokanmi: 1:54am On Apr 27, 2021
I love history. Unfortunately, our government is striving to wipe history off our face, which is impossible

1 Like

Re: Biography Of Chief Sam-Warri Essi-Idesoh By Peter Ufuoma Onoriode by nervorum: 3:17am On Apr 27, 2021
I enjoyed reading this. Brought a flood of memories. I don't know much about urhobo history, but this is commendable..

I remember how I used to be scared passing thru igbudu to link cavagina primary school. I use to enter Sam Warri Street from Lower Erejuma end, cross Warri-Sapele Road and enter a street in Igbudu (not sure of the name again) that linked directly to the back of Cavagina primary school, and then onwards to Robert Road and down to makaiva Market. I hawked around those area as a child. I miss Warri so badly.

1 Like

Re: Biography Of Chief Sam-Warri Essi-Idesoh By Peter Ufuoma Onoriode by Kvvngkhalifa202(m): 9:18pm On Apr 29, 2021
Baba you be old Warri
I been day stay lower erejuwa ( spare parts) close to Warri garage
nervorum:
I enjoyed reading this. Brought a flood of memories. I don't know much about urhobo history, but this is commendable..

I remember how I used to be scared passing thru igbudu to link cavagina primary school. I use to enter Sam Warri Street from Lower Erejuma end, cross Warri-Sapele Road and enter a street in Igbudu (not sure of the name again) that linked directly to the back of Cavagina primary school, and then onwards to Robert Road and down to makaiva Market. I hawked around those area as a child. I miss Warri so badly.
Re: Biography Of Chief Sam-Warri Essi-Idesoh By Peter Ufuoma Onoriode by mysticwarrior(m): 9:27am On May 31, 2021
Growing up we heard so many things about this great man, they said he was a powerful traditional warrior feared by everyone. He unknowingly killed one of his children and used the child as a sacrifice to Agbasa juju, an action which he later regretted.

(1) (Reply)

World Igbo Congress Holds Sept 2-5 In Us / Fulani Population And Fulfulde Turning Into Hausa And Yoruba, Fear To Be Extinct / 300 Ethnic(tribes) In Nigeria.name Yours.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.