Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,176 members, 7,815,109 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) (3774 Views)

Major Johannesburg Road Renamed After Nelson Mandela's Wife - Winnie (PICS) / Mandela Did This Ritual Everyday In his 20 Years Solitary Confinement / 7 World Famous Words That Originated In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 4:28pm On Apr 27, 2021
Today, 27 April 2021, is Freedom Day in South Africa.

The new South Africa turns 27 and marks the day the country held its first democratic elections in 1994 which signalled the end of apartheid (an oppressive system where people were defined by their race). It is also the elections whose outcome led to Nelson Mandela becoming the first black president of the country after 3 centuries of colonisation.

Because of the role he played in liberating South Africa, Nelson Mandela became an admired global icon with many countries erecting monuments in his honour - from the grounds of Parliament in the UK to the United Nations in New York, and even in Palestine (which today is experiencing apartheid at the hands of Israel - FACT).

Here are some of Madiba's most famous monuments beginning in South Africa itself:

1. Mandela Capture Site (Howick, KwaZulu-Natal)

This is where Madiba was captured by the apartheid government and jailed on Robben Island for 27 years. The front of the sculpture is a portrait of Mandela, it has vertical bars which represent his imprisonment and was unveiled in 2012.

2. City Hall (Cape Town)

This is the balcony Mandela gave his first address to a humongous crowd after his release from Robben Island prison in 1990. The statue was unveiled in 2018.

3. Sandton Square (Johannesburg)

Situated at Sandton City Mall, the dancing Mandela statue is a favourite with locals and tourists alike and is almost as old as the Square itself. It was unveiled in 2004.

4. Union Buildings (Pretoria)

This is the tallest Nelson Mandela statue in the world and was unveiled a day after his funeral on Reconciliation Day, 16 December 2013. It is situated on the grounds of the seat of political power in the capital city.

OTHER PIX THROUGHOUT PAGE

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by Enoch07: 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2021
Madiba!!!! continue to rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by pocohantas(f): 4:38pm On Apr 27, 2021
I love the one waving from a balcony. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by JaceBlaze: 4:39pm On Apr 27, 2021
Let's gooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by illicit(m): 4:55pm On Apr 27, 2021
So Rochas didn't make one in Imo state

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by christejames(m): 5:01pm On Apr 27, 2021
Say in South Africa...

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 5:08pm On Apr 27, 2021
1. Parliament Bust (Cape Town)

Unveiled outside the South African Parliament in 2014 - a few months following Madiba's death.

2. Nobel Square (Cape Town)

Opened in 2005 this square includes sculptures of the country's four Nobel Peace Prize winners - Albert Lutuli, Desmond Tutu, F. W. de Klerk, and Nelson Mandela.

3. The Voting Line (Port Elizabeth/Gqeberha)

This is a 38 metre-long metal silhouette sculpture of a string of people with Nelson Mandela at the end. It was unveiled in 2011.

4. Naval Hill (Bloemfontein)

This statue overlooking the judicial capital city of SA - Bloemfontein - stands on a popular tourist hill and was unveiled in December 2012, exactly a year before the death of Madiba.

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 5:18pm On Apr 27, 2021
pocohantas:
I love the one waving from a balcony. smiley

It's the most realistic isn't? Not just bronze.

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 5:20pm On Apr 27, 2021
illicit:
So Rochas didn't make one in Imo state

I think that's Zuma grin. Why Zuma before Mandela though? embarassed Will check and if there's one i will definitely feature it. cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by illicit(m): 5:21pm On Apr 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

I think that's Zuma grin. Why Zuma before Mandela though? embarassed Will check and if there's one i will definitely feature it. cool

lol

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by iamyemiakins(m): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2021
Agba Mandela!
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:02pm On Apr 27, 2021
1. United Nations (New York)

This is the only life-size statue to have been erected at the UN headquarters and was donated by the South African government on 24 September 2018. It signifies the role Madiba played in unifying the world under the banner of peace and conflict resolution.

2. South Africa Embassy (Washington DC)

Unveiled in 2013 on the site where four protestors were arrested in 1984 in the United States— an event credited with spurring anti-apartheid sanctions against South Africa.

3. Parliament Square (London)

This was an unveiling that Nelson Mandela himself was able to attend in August 2007, although he was already in retirement and quite frail. He is seen here with then-British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

4. Ramallah (West Bank, Palestine)

The Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas unveiled this statue in April 2016. The statue was funded by the City of Johannesburg and was given as a gift from South Africa to the people of Palestine, who are enduring apartheid conditions under Israeli occupation.

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by heniford2: 6:09pm On Apr 27, 2021
RIP dibia!!! but you see the new SA now na yeye dem be naw
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:11pm On Apr 27, 2021
heniford2:
RIP dibia!!! but you see the new SA now na yeye dem be naw

Can I have some peace on my freedom day? Will deal with u tomorrow on revenge day cool

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by heniford2: 6:17pm On Apr 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

Can I have some peace on my freedom day? Will deal with u tomorrow on revenge day cool
sorry, but it is true shia RIP to madiba great man but his children know are useless
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:24pm On Apr 27, 2021
heniford2:
sorry, but it is true shia RIP to madiba great man but his children know are useless

At least they know how to spell "now" cool

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by heniford2: 6:33pm On Apr 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

At least they know how to spell "now" cool
no wahala let me pity you for today
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 6:40pm On Apr 27, 2021
heniford2:
no wahala let me pity you for today

I'm booking page 3 for your assassination tomorrow grin
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by pocohantas(f): 6:54pm On Apr 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

It's the most realistic isn't? Not just bronze.

Hahaha. Yes, that is the word- REALISTIC. cheesy
Nice thread!

1 Like

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 7:05pm On Apr 27, 2021
1. Who Dat? (China)

This bust of Nelson Mandela unveiled on the fifth anniversary of his death in 2018 at the JinTai Art Museum in China got many people asking "Who dat"?

2. Dedan Kimathi University (Nairobi)

On 18 January 2019, the Kenyan university unveiled the two busts of Dedan Kimathi and Nelson Mandela. Kimathi fought against colonial rule in Kenya.

3. Salvador, Brazil

Found in the Liberdade neighborhood of Salvador. Little information online

4. The Hague (Netherlands)

The Hague is a city that serves as the seat of the Dutch parliament and is also home to the UN's International Court of Justice. This statue of Madiba was unveiled in 2012 with Archbishop Desmond Tutu as the main guest.

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 7:12pm On Apr 27, 2021
pocohantas:

Hahaha. Yes, that is the word- REALISTIC. cheesy
Nice thread!

Wow, thank u! cheesy
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by 1Alex: 7:14pm On Apr 27, 2021
Okay. One day our darling daddy's own will be everywhere around the world too.

5 Likes

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by pocohantas(f): 7:39pm On Apr 27, 2021

9 Likes

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 27, 2021
A great icon. Whatsapp bulk messenger software available at 15k only.
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by PlayMaker14: 8:06pm On Apr 27, 2021

4 Likes

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by LikeAking: 8:24pm On Apr 27, 2021
1Alex:
Okay. One day our darling daddy's own will be everywhere around the world too.

God and Satan forbid.
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by Brainard22: 8:26pm On Apr 27, 2021
LikeAking:

God and Satan forbid.
He dey ment
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by heniford2: 8:49pm On Apr 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

I'm booking page 3 for your assassination tomorrow grin
just leave me alone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by Harrykn: 9:18pm On Apr 27, 2021
Legends never die
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by Biglittlelois(f): 9:24pm On Apr 27, 2021
One man can make a difference, who will it be, for Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by JaceBlaze: 9:57pm On Apr 27, 2021
christejames:
Say in South Africa...

[img]https://images.app./yjWicU6D39Tun8yv9[/img]
Re: Most Famous Nelson Mandela Statues From Around The World (PIX) by TMKsouth: 10:00pm On Apr 27, 2021

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Elephant Mums Poo On Their Calves. Pictures / Attention!!! The Federal Government is glad to announce to graduates... / SUG President Of College Of Education Akwanga Steps Out With Bodyguards (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.