Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,507 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead (3443 Views)

What Is The Difference Between On The Bus And In The Bus? / “I Am In The Bus” Or “I Am On The Bus”: Which Is Correct? / The Bus Oshiomhole Donated To UNIBEN SUG 3 Years Ago (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by emteymdlee: 3:22pm On Apr 28, 2021
It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead

The English language is a very broad language. The use of English is another broad course or subject as the case may be. This is why it is somewhat difficult for some people to learn and speak the language fluently.

Understanding the basics of the use of English is a prerequisite to understanding the nuance which in turn is a prerequisite for mastering the language. The basics are more of understanding the alphabets and how they are used.

Even as the English language is not most people's mother tongue, it is a very important language as it is easy to communicate with one another with the English language especially when the two persons are from different language speaking regions.

Many people who find it difficult to speak the language fluently would have no other choice than to speak it anyhow, as long as the message is passed. It is sometimes funny, while it is embarrassing some other times. This is why some part of Nigeria have opted to what is now called "pidgin English"

Some people think that they know it all yet they make some simple mistakes. These mistakes, if spoken may be unnoticed. But if noticed, it may be embarrassing. That is why it is important to understand the language properly before using some words in some sentences.

Almost every Nigerian makes this mistake (I'm on a bus), I am going to correct this today. After today, you will never make such a mistake again.

A car, unlike a bus, train or airplane has a small space for you to fit in your legs and sit down. It doesn't give you enough space to walk around, maybe to get a better seat. The height is low that you can't stand or even bend comfortably. You only sit on your car's seat and you can say that you are in a car.

Unlike a car, a bus is big enough for you to walk around and locate the desired seat. A bus has enough space. Therefore, you can't say that you are on a bus. It is wrong.

If you are telling someone you are going by bus, it is wrong to say "I'm on a bus." Although, there are few cases where you can use "in." Generally, "on the bus" is acceptable. Therefore, if you want to tell someone you are going by bus, you would say you are on the bus.

READ MORE HERE: https://naijacampusjams.com/it-is-wrong-to-say-i-am-in-the-bus-say-this-instead-2/

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by PoliteActivist: 3:41pm On Apr 28, 2021
Nonsense.
Language is by usage. Except clear technicalities, what the vast majority says for a given location is correct for that location. Example, labor is the correct spelling in US, while in UK it is labour.
So, "I'm in the the bus" is correct for Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 3:56pm On Apr 28, 2021
all this long story just because i dey for bus

29 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Minjim: 4:59pm On Apr 28, 2021
You can be on a bus if it's (moving) taking you somewhere.
But if it's stationary and you're just sitting in it. Then, you're in a bus

12 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by PoliteActivist: 6:08pm On Apr 28, 2021
musicproducer:

grin

4 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by PoliteActivist: 6:14pm On Apr 28, 2021
Minjim:
You can be on a bus if it's (moving) taking you somewhere.
But if it's stationary and you're just sitting in it. Then, you're in a bus. emteymdlee

So how do u distinguish people actually riding on the bus? See below.
Nigerian lingo makes more sense

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Minjim: 6:21pm On Apr 28, 2021
PoliteActivist:

So how do u distinguish people actually riding on the bus. See below
English language is one of the most contextual and adaptive language. That's why we have varieties of English.

There are SA English, Indian English, Aussie English, American English and ( the standard) Queens English.

Everyone just have to adapt it to accommodate their diversity.

So all those people are on a bus, possibly Mumbai.
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by falcon01: 6:32pm On Apr 28, 2021
on bus, in bus, by bus, with bus any how me I dey bus.

3 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Matheusmartin: 6:44pm On Apr 28, 2021
I DEY INSIDE BUS. wink

The most correct and easily understandable of them all. grin

6 Likes

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by PoliteActivist: 7:42pm On Apr 28, 2021
Minjim:

English language is one of the most contextual and adaptive language. That's why we have varieties of English.

There are SA English, Indian English, Aussie English, American English and ( the standard) Queens English.

Everyone just have to adapt it to accommodate their diversity.

So all those people are on a bus, possibly Mumbai.

Exactly. Though not only English, that's how language is generally. But some make more sense than others. In this case 9ja own makes more sense. Those people are riding on a bus, while those inside are riding in a bus!
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Minjim: 8:01pm On Apr 28, 2021
PoliteActivist:

Exactly. Though not only English, that's how language is generally. But some make more sense than others. In this case 9ja own makes more sense. Those people are riding on a bus, while those inside are riding in a bus!

You do know that ride means to sit on and control the movement of...

1 Like

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by PoliteActivist: 8:05pm On Apr 28, 2021
Minjim:

You do know that ride means to sit on and control the movement of...

Yeah? So what does drive mean? How are tge persongers controlling the movement?

USA
The only time I can think when we (USA) say "in the bus" is when there is some need to distinguish it from "outside of the bus."

NIGERIA
The only time I can think when we (NIGERIA) say "on the bus" is when people are actually on top of the bus.

9ja own makes more sense. When someone is inside something say they are in it, not on it!
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Collins4u1(m): 8:09pm On Apr 28, 2021
When you're in a bus that's not moving or parked... How do you say it too? On or in?
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by PoliteActivist: 8:23pm On Apr 28, 2021
Collins4u1:
When you're in a bus that's not moving or parked... How do you say it too? On or in?

You are in it, whether it is moving or not. Below, they are on it whether it is moving or not!

9ja own makes more sense. When someone is inside something say they are in it, not on it!

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Minjim: 8:31pm On Apr 28, 2021
PoliteActivist:

Yeah? So what does drive mean? How are tge persongers controlling the movement?

USA
The only time I can think when we (USA) say "in the bus" is when there is some need to distinguish it from "outside of the bus."

NIGERIA
The only time I can think when we (NIGERIA) say "on the bus" is when people are actually on top of the bus.

Exactly!
It makes sense in nja conversation. But Spoken and Written English have a slight distinction
So if it's an examination question and you have IN and ON as options. Since Nja English is not the standard, it's best to follow the Queens English.
In this case, ON is the best option.
The phrasal verb " riding in a bus " is also correct.
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by mu2sa2: 9:17pm On Apr 28, 2021
The language is immaterial if the meaning is plain. If you dey in a bus or on a bus, still the same na for bus you dey. Shikena!

1 Like

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 9:26pm On Apr 28, 2021
musicproducer:
Lol.. grin

1 Like

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 9:43pm On Apr 28, 2021
I'm In D Bus Is More Preferable. Na Which One Come Be " I'm On D Bus ?"
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by KingMack(m): 10:18pm On Apr 28, 2021
musicproducer:

Boss shift I wan sit down angry

Hello! Helllooo!! Tolu I dey inside bus I no dey hear you grin

1 Like

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 10:20pm On Apr 28, 2021
AsherAmari:

Lol.. grin

abi nahh.

and also i don pm u like crazy reply i wan toost u smiley
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 10:23pm On Apr 28, 2021
musicproducer:

abi nahh.

and also i don pm u like crazy reply i wan toost u smiley

Na everybody you dey toast.

That was how you disturbed my old moniker Taya.

I've been watching you in 3D. Keep toasting. Ive seen your PM but mbah!!!
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 10:41pm On Apr 28, 2021
AsherAmari:

Na everybody you dey toast.

That was how you disturbed my old moniker Taya.

I've been watching you in 3D. Keep toasting. Ive seen your PM but mbah!!!

i no disturb am well else i for still dey rappor with taya, oya rp bk
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 11:26pm On Apr 28, 2021
musicproducer:

i no disturb am well else i for still dey rappor with taya, oya rp bk

Reply what?

Try the moniker next page cool
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 28, 2021
AsherAmari:

Reply what?

Try the moniker next page cool

nah am cool with the face behind thy moniker cool
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 11:42pm On Apr 28, 2021
musicproducer:

nah am cool with the face behind thy moniker cool
What if its not me?
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 11:43pm On Apr 28, 2021
AsherAmari:

What if it makes not me?

thou knoweth its u
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 28, 2021
musicproducer:

thou knoweth its u

Lol.. very funny.
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by Nobody: 11:48pm On Apr 28, 2021
AsherAmari:

Lol.. very funny.
very cute

1 Like

Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by PoliteActivist: 12:34am On Apr 29, 2021
Minjim:

Exactly!
It makes sense in nja conversation. But Spoken and Written English have a slight distinction
So if it's an examination question and you have IN and ON as options. Since Nja English is not the standard, it's best to follow the Queens English.
In this case, ON is the best option.
The phrasal verb " riding in a bus " is also correct.

But you know we're not talking exam here na. OP even used "say".
Here's the thread heading:

It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus."
Re: It Is Wrong To Say "I Am In The Bus." Say This Instead by femi4: 6:40am On Apr 29, 2021
Pidgin corrected the anomaly.

I dey INSIDE bus

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Was Born With It” – Nigerian Student Who Speaks In Clean British Accent Explai / FT of London Ranks Lagos Business School in Global Top 50 / Bayero University Kano Commences Post Utme Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.