Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! (1997 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 11, 2007
Wenger grabs £6m Sagna

July 11, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

ARSENE WENGER has sealed a £6million swoop for Auxerre defender Bakari Sagna.

French right-back Sagna, 24, will sign a five-year contract worth £25,000 a week this morning after agreeing personal terms with the Arsenal manager last night.

His arrival comes as Gunners midfielder Freddie Ljungberg looks set to complete a £5.5million move to Fiorentina.

Wenger’s Sagna signing is the perfect response after motor-mouth William Gallas’ had a pop at the Emirates side in yesterday’s SunSport.

French defender Gallas slagged off Wenger’s transfer policy, reckoning a lack of big-name arrivals meant a lack of ambition.

Wenger is furious with Gallas over the attack and the gaffer will order the player to keep his opinions to himself and start to justify his £80,000-a-week wages after a disappointing first season in North London.

Wenger will not take any disciplinary action, though he feels he has been badly let down.

Gallas rapped: “I did not come here to play for third place.”

But Wenger is confident his young squad can mount a serious title challenge next season and believes Sagna’s signing will be crucial.

Arsenal have already paid £10m for Croatia striker Eduardo da Silva and are still in the market for a back-up central defender.

Sagna’s arrival will mean a move into midfield for Emmanuel Eboue, who will fill the gap left by Ljungberg’s departure.

The 30-year-old Swede had vowed to stay and fight for his place after nine years at Arsenal.

But he changed his mind after Wenger made it clear he was no longer seen as a first-team regular.

Fiorentina head of sport Pantaleo Corvino and chief executive Sandro Menucci both jetted to London to negotiate with Ljungberg.

They are ready to offer him a four-year contract which will take him to the end of his career.

Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by ayojango(m): 9:27am On Jul 11, 2007
whats d meanin of all dis is wenger on a jamboree,i dat a player is old dsnt mean they cnt perform,arsenal 4 lyfe c u @ d emirates
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by RuuDie(m): 9:35am On Jul 11, 2007
i'm still not comfy with the way that Arsenal midfield's g'onna be looking next season - the mix just ain't right!
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by chuckdee4(m): 11:51am On Jul 11, 2007
Apparently Eboue will be moving into the right hand side of the midfield with Ljuberg leaving cry
From what i gather Arsenal are waiting till next year for a take over and due to some tax and share issues, spending will be limited this year, thats one of the reasons Babel was left and promised to be signed next year (Until Liverpool came and stuck their noses in). Apparently, only funds from Henry's transfer and other sales will be used in the transfer market this summer. better still dey come but Wenger has to wait till teh take over next season, thats one of the reasons he hasn't committed to Arsenal yet, he wants to see the outcome of the Take Over next year before putting pen to paper.

in all Arsenal are on a shoe string budget compared to what the other 3 have had to spend, even tottenham have more money to burn this summer, but its all good, if there is something Wenger knows best its getting the best with the least amount available
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 11, 2007
Na true talk you talk, you really a gunner @chuckdee4 ,

no doubt next year the gunners will take their place in EPL AND ECL

Gunners 4 life
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by Vieira(m): 11:52pm On Jul 11, 2007
chuckdee4:

Apparently Eboue will be moving into the right hand side of the midfield with Ljuberg leaving cry
From what i gather Arsenal are waiting till next year for a take over and due to some tax and share issues, spending will be limited this year, thats one of the reasons Babel was left and promised to be signed next year (Until Liverpool came and stuck their noses in). Apparently, only funds from Henry's transfer and other sales will be used in the transfer market this summer. better still dey come but Wenger has to wait till the take over next season, thats one of the reasons he hasn't committed to Arsenal yet, he wants to see the outcome of the Take Over next year before putting pen to paper.
in all Arsenal are on a shoe string budget compared to what the other 3 have had to spend, even tottenham have more money to burn this summer, but its all good, if there is something Wenger knows best its getting the best with the least amount available

angry
Where did you get that info from? Or is Wenger your best friend and told you this in confidence?
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by Nobody: 5:49am On Jul 12, 2007
DO you read news at all @VIERA, I'M A COMPLETE ARSENAL FAN SO I FOLLOW THEM LIKE THE WAY YOU FOLLOW YOUR MOMMA WHEN YOU WERE A BABY grin
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by chuckdee4(m): 9:59am On Jul 12, 2007
Viera, this is word on the street, hence my us of the word "Apparently"
It sounds like stuff AW would do, playing players in new positions and possiibly discovering a gem in the process. We all know there is atke over in progress at Arsenal, so it makes a bit of sense, then again i may be totally wrong but like i said before hence the use of the word "Apparently"
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by Candyguy(m): 1:05pm On Jul 12, 2007
Hey guys,,Like my song says "Gunners till i Die".I am really happy about the new hapennings in the Emirates stadium.It was the beautiful Eduardo @first and then sagna and we are really targeting Obagol plus i read it this mourning that we are also aiming at Cean youngstar Yoan Gouffran, well i know the loud mouts would kip talking so guys let them talk on.But what do u think about this 27mill pounds bid for CESC,,,Plss tell le prof to shun this palatable offer.ANd one more thing Lets pray wenger signs a new deal ok.[/color][color=#990000]

Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by Vieira(m): 1:25pm On Jul 12, 2007
Okay chuckdee but I beg put a leash on your pet soloreal jare.
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by loyika(m): 1:27pm On Jul 12, 2007
@ Soloreal

I was going to tell you that the consequences of your comments were going to hurt me far more than it would hurt you grin grin

But i guess V has decided to let you slide sad

cool GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by Vieira(m): 1:32pm On Jul 12, 2007
Loyika, I tend to avoid people who foam at the mouth in case I get rabies.

I dey follow chuckdee chat and soloreal began to yarn about mama and stuff, I did not want to go down that route hence my attempt at avoiding him.

Loyika, I read that Eboue may now become a right midfielder and Hoyte and Sagna will battle for the right back position.

I feel for Hoyte because I like him a lot and he is a steady eddie type of player. He will not be flash but will give you confidence in his no nonsense defending.

I want Hoyte to stay.
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by slimghost(m): 1:42pm On Jul 12, 2007
Sagna ko stagnant ni? confused goners
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by loyika(m): 2:00pm On Jul 12, 2007
If Wenger lets Hoyte go, then he is just feeding into the frenzy of Arsene's perceived hatred for English Players (did you hear what that C@NT Darren Bent said about The Spuds being an English team angry)

What worries me most is the trend of selling players that are "Loyal" to ARSENAL FC!! Not Loyal to "Coaches" or "Vice Chairmen!!".

Yes! Granted Cole was a HOE, that went for the money, but he was/is a GOONER!! So is Hoyte.

Players like Freddie (hope he stays), Lauren, Kanu, A Stokes and some others were folks i feel loved the Club with a passion.

The only players left i feel are in that same cat are Toure, Berti, Clichy and probably RVP.

Now on to your issue, As Chuck D stated; word on the street is that Arsene wants to play Eboue in midfield, which frankly is not a bad idea, as we all know[b] MOFO ain't exactly brilliant in defence[/b]. So moving him to compete with Hleb would be a better option, as he is good going forward and has a "Brilliant Cross on him". As long as they sort out his "Hleb" nature (once he is in the 18) of being indecisive, i think he would make a brilliant midfielder (at least he gets beyond defences unlike Theo, who always tries to dribble ).

Now if Wenger sold Hoyte, we would be left short (cause moving Eboue up and down would not be a good idea IMO!!).

Basically i think Sagna was gotten with ACN in mind, as Centre Back is covered with either Senderos or Djuorou being cover for Kolo. And attack is some what settled with Da Silva being cover for Ade. (What do you feel about this OBAFEMI MARTINS STUFF )

I still feel Wenger could have gotten Babel, but at 13 mil shocked, i doubt Babel is worth paying that kind of Money for.

Right now, i am 70% ok with the squad as it is, but one more signing wouldn't go a miss (I would rather it be a striker or Winger).

cool GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by chuckdee4(m): 2:37pm On Jul 12, 2007
Nice responses guys

So far so good, Justin Hoyte should not be allowed to go, i know Sagna is class in France but look at the last class French defender Newcastle bought (Boumsong). I would love to see him in action first befroe finally being convinced. I feel for Justin Hoyte, Wenger bought Sagna cos Hoyte is not the complete article yet, he should stay a few more seasons cos his game has improved over the past years.

I don't care what people say about arsenal not buying English players, AW doesn't like wasting money and even the English players we release were never up to scratch (Pennant, Bentley [Doesn't suit Arsenal's style], Jeffers, Sidwell) these guys wouldn't make it into any of the top 3's starting 11 but the press keep on attacking Arsenal for not having English players.

Anyway still from my sources, Wenger will not go for Martins this season as he feels the attack is just about good enough, instead he will get cover for Ljunberg who will possibly be off for about £6 - 7 million.

As for Babel i don't know the full story but he was supposedly to wait till next season so he could join Arsenal being as we did not have the money for him this season, then Liverpool come along and all that talk of him saying he loved Arsenal's type of play became rubbish.
He is indeed one to watch but playing for Liverpool he may not realise his full potential, Weneger has a way of noutouring kids that Benitez could only dream of. £13 million is too much to pay for a 20 yr old (Unless his English), personally i felt he could have been the next TH in training cos he game is similar to henry's playing in attack and on the wing + he's got the pace.

Fellow Gunners lets see how this drama unwraps, i am very confident in Wenger and as long as he pens a new deal, Arsenal will live on
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by damoche07(m): 2:41pm On Jul 12, 2007
Loyika,you are d most sensible gunner av met,seen or is it read in recent times.Ur post was straitforward and beautiful.You are a real Gunner and i agree with most of wat u said.We are almost done for the season.forget the frenzy sorrounding those other guys buying a 15goal per season player for 26mil,w have a good team and we only need just one more player after Sagna.But,the website is yet to announce the arrival of the guy.i heard we are still haggling on the price with Auxerre.My club sha.Well,thats why we are gunners.
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by A40(m): 3:53pm On Jul 12, 2007
I think Sagna is a good buy but we should not sell Hoyte he might not be the best but he is a good back up defender who would give it his all,moving Eboue forward is not a bad idea as it will reduce his workload and make him less injury prone, Hleb needs to step up his game he just didnt cut it last season, I want us to get a CB and a striker or an attacking midfielder
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by chuckdee4(m): 4:04pm On Jul 12, 2007
If anyone has the time they should go to Youtube and view the clip titled "Why Arsenal signed Hleb" when you see what he's capable of, u'll see why AW is still standing by him, maybe he felt under close watch with "Immaculate" Henry always scrutinising but hopefully he'll be allowed to express himself this season.

Check that clip out and let me know what u guys think
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by loyika(m): 4:09pm On Jul 12, 2007
I will put up my own clip, "Why Hleb has not lived up to what we saw on Youtube" grin grin

I hope as well that he comes good this season (been saying that now for 2 seasons grin)

cool GOONER 89
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 12, 2007
MY FELLOW GUNNERS!, IM GLAD WE ARE MAKING PROGRESS AND THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT THE GUNNERS WILL XPLODE! grin NEXT SEASON, LETS KEEP THE DISCUSSIONS UP AND SHAME THE CLUBS THAT THE GUNNERS ARE NOW MID TABLE CLUB,

FOR DOUBTING THOMASES HERE IS THE PIC OF SAGNA DISPLAYING THE NUMBER 3 JERSEY

GUNNERS 4 LIFE!

Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by debosky(m): 4:16pm On Jul 12, 2007
My take on this is that Emmanuel "MOFO' Eboue moves to Right midfield, while Hoyte and Sagna battle it out for RB.

We still need a natural winger in the squad, for me that is the most pressing need right now, defence is mostly covered, so is striking (as long as they all stay fit fingers crossed) we just need the MF to chip in its own share of goals, and we should be ok for the new season.

despite all the noise made about how poor we were last time around, I still felt there were too many changes going on at that time for us to settle down and achieve our best; now the stadium feels like home, there is no overbearing player influence (except maybe Gallas and his ranting) and everyone is keen to show that we aren't a one-man team, with new blood ready to take the next step up on the big stage.

All that is left is proper gelling and squad unity, and once we hit the ground running, I see us having a great season

concerning the Hleb thing, I feel he had a dip in confidence last season, all the fans shouting 'shoot' whenever he had the ball dented his confidence a bit, his strong traits are his ability to hold on to the ball and make good passes, as long as there are proper outlets (players making off ball runs) he will deliver.

the second issue is playing him wide, he is best in center MF, but only AW knows why he hasn't been played there.
Re: Arsenal Grabs £6m Sagna/strictly For Gunners! by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 12, 2007
Bacary Sagna - read his first interview as an Arsenal player

Bacary Sagna has completed his transfer from Auxerre to Arsenal. Shortly after arriving at Emirates Stadium, the French defender gave his first interview as an Arsenal player to Arsenal TV Online.

Arsenal.com visitors can now read a transcript of the interview below.

Subscribers will be able to watch the interview in full from Friday morning on Arsenal TV Online. If you don't subscribe to TV Online, click on the red button on the gold Arsenal TV Online panel.

Bakary, welcome to Arsenal. What does it mean to you to be an Arsenal player?

It's amazing. If someone had told me that one day I would be an Arsenal player I would not have believed him. I am very happy for my family, my friends and also for my future. It is really a positive move.

Your president [at Auxerre] was quoted as saying: “He wants to wear the Arsenal shirt”. Was this club that important to you?

It's very important for me because Arsenal is one of the biggest European clubs. At the moment it a young team which still has room to improve. For a young player it is the club of the future and it is all of this which attracted me to the club.

Generally, you played at right back for Auxerre. Is that where you expect to play for Arsenal?

I think so. For four years I have been playing at right back and it is where I feel the most at ease.

But you are seen as versatile too. Where else have you played for Auxerre?

I have also played at left back on occasions, either for the Under-21 French team or in Auxerre. The result is the same.

Just so the Arsenal fans can get an impression of you, is there any player you have modelled yourself on or any hero?

Lilian Thuram.

How important was Arsène Wenger in attracting you to Arsenal?

He showed his determination when he wanted to attract me to the club when we spoke recently. The fact that he personally contacted me recently, the fact that this is such a big club and he has made so much effort to recruit me, it has seduced me.

How important in your decision was the style of football Wenger’s side plays.

I think this is one of the best English sides, the one that plays the best football. The fact that it is a young team and there is high-quality training are extra positives compared to other English teams.

In England it has been seen as a difficult time for Arsenal. How confident are you that this side can win trophies next season?

We have the youth card and the fact that no one really rates us means that maybe we can surprise people. The young players want to prove what they can do and I want to prove what I can do. And all of this together will help us have a good season, I hope.

Did you speak to anyone for advice before joining Arsenal? How about Abou Diaby, he was your team-mate at Auxerre?

Yes, Abou Diaby spoke to me the last time the French national side got together. He only had good things to say about Arsenal. And so far I am not disappointed.

Who else do you know already in the Arsenal side? You have played in the France Under-21 team with Gael Clichy haven’t you?

Yes, and Mathieu Flamini. I had a chance to meet William Gallas in the France squad and I have played against Adebayor in the French championship.

Of course, Auxerre are a team with a history of bring through big talents — Cantona, Basile Boli, Cisse , Goma, Mexes — is there something special about the way they educate their players?

I think the mentality and the training is important at Auxerre. The training is among the best in the world but I know it is easier to make it at Auxerre than somewhere else because Auxerre is a small city. We only have football to concentrate on.

How much was Guy Roux an influence on your career? He had a dynasty as Auxerre manager before he left recently.

He is enormous in France. It is him who gave me my chance. he was the one who pushed me every morning and, by the way, I would like to take this opportunity to thank him.

In 2002, Arsenal played at Auxerre in the Champions League. You were only 19 at the time and did not play but you were at the club. Do you remember the game? Did Arsenal make an impression that night?

It was one-nil to Arsenal and they were very solid that night.

Do you feel there are similarities between Wenger and Guy Roux in their approach to football?

I think so. They both prefer football which is played to the feet instead of the long ball.

Whenever a foreign player comes over to England there is an adaptation period. How easily do you think you will cope?

Straight away. I don't know why I will have problems adapting in England. It is quite a French-speaking club, everybody has put me at ease right from the start and I feel good.

What have other players told you about the pace and strength of the Premier League?

Everybody has talked about it and I have been lucky to meet the English Under-21 squad too. I saw that the level was quite high and the football was different.

Of course French players have a very good track record at Arsenal (Vieira, Petit, Henry, Clichy). Does that history make it easier for you to come here?

No, no, no. If they made it here it was because they were willing and they gave their maximum. I am going to try and imitate them.

Is this the first time you have been to Emirates Stadium? What are your first impressions?

Enormous. It is a beautiful stadium. There is nothing to add.

Finally do you have a message for the Arsenal fans?

First of all, welcome! I hope we are going to spend many seasons together.

GUNNERS 4 LIFE!

(1) (Reply)

UCL: Barcelona Vs Bate Borisov (4 - 0) On 6th December / Premier League Boss Caught In A Brothel / La Liga VS Epl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.