Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,478 members, 7,812,471 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management (1258 Views)

Oando Crisis: Adeosun Queries SEC, Appoints New Director-general / Notification Of Suspension Of Trading In The Shares Of Oando Plc / Under Siege The Battle Of Oando (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 6:44pm On Apr 30, 2021
Federal High Court in Kano has held that the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) acted arbitrarily in suspending the management of Oando Plc.

It declared SEC’s appointment of an interim management null and void and awarded cost of N250,000 against the regulator in favour of the plaintiffs, Oando shareholders.

Justice A. Lewis Allagoa gave the ruling in a suit filed by Alhaji Yakubu Gumel and Alhaji Kabiru Tambari on behalf of the Sokoto Zone of Shareholders Association of Oando and Tunde Badmus for himself and the Pacesetters Shareholders Association of Oando.

SEC had filed a preliminary objection to the suit on the ground, among others, that the shareholders were challenging its regulatory powers over Oando.

But the judge observed that this was a wrong assumption because what the shareholders claimed was that SEC exceeded its regulatory powers, thereby making all their actions to date illegal and an infringement of their rights.

He dismissed SEC’s objection, noting that the shareholders’ claims fall under their rights as shareholders.

The court further granted all the shareholders’ prayers, including that SEC intervening in Oando PLC’s management without sharing the forensic audit report that led to the sanctions against the company and the concerned directors.

The Federal High Court in Abuja had last month ruled in favor of another Oando shareholder, Patrick Ajudua.

The court upheld Ajudua’s claim that SEC breached his rights as a shareholder and ordered Oando to hold its Annual General Meeting (AGM) within 90 days of the ruling.

https://thenationonlineng.net/court-voids-secs-suspension-of-oando-management/
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 30, 2021
The power behind Wale Tinubu is far greater than the power behind First Bank Oba Otudeko and Awosika.

Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Sunnybay7: 6:46pm On Apr 30, 2021
Is this to encourage sacked first bank directors to seek redress in court?
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 6:51pm On Apr 30, 2021
Sunnybay7:
Is this to encourage first bank sacked directors to seek redress in court?
If they have the right backing and power behind them, then I see no reason why not. They can learn from Wale Tinubu.

Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 6:56pm On Apr 30, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

If they have the right backing and power behind them, then I see no reason why not. They can learn from Wale Tinubu.
After going through the issue between Otudeko and the CBN, I will have to support the CBN. First bank is not otudeko personal property.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 30, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
After going through the issue between Otudeko and the CBN, I will have to support the CBN. First bank is not otudeko personal property.
I support CBN as well. However, in the jungle anything goes.

The alleged infractions mentioned by SEC against Wale Tinubu were far worse that the infractions against Oba Otudeko and Awosika and the court still reinstated him.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 30, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

I support CBN as well. However, in the jungle anything goes.

The alleged allegations against Wale Tinubu are far worse that the infractions against Oba Otudeko and Awosika and the court still reinstated him.
People like you are one of the problem of this country bro.

I read somewhere the EFCC wants to look into the loans he has been giving by FBN. I hope he will be fully dealt with. He should be used as an example so others in his positions will know is not business as usual.

We lost a lot of banks because of all this kin rubbish in the past. I'm going to give Emefiele a pass mark for not letting FBN collapse the way Sanusi made some banks collapse in the pass. Sanusi should have found a way to help them stay afloat, if it means printing more money.

But the most important thing in all this is that, people like otudeko must be dealt with.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 7:27pm On Apr 30, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:

I read somewhere the EFCC wants to look into the loans he has been giving by FBN. I hope he will be fully dealt with. He should be used as an example so others in his positions will know is not business as usual.

We lost a lot of banks because of all this kin rubbish in the past. I'm going to give Emefiele a pass mark for not letting FBN collapse the way Sanusi made some banks collapse in the pass. Sanusi should have found a way to help them stay afloat, if it means printing more money.

But the most important thing in all this is that, people like otudeko must be dealt with.

I am a realist and know the how the rules work in the jungl. This is the same country $600 billion has been looted by former and current politicians and military general since 1960 with a 99% success rate.

Nothing will happed to Oba Otudeko, EFCC as an organization is equally as corrupt.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 7:39pm On Apr 30, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

I am a realist and know the how the rules work in the jungl. This is the same country $600 billion has been looted by former and current politicians and military general since 1960 with a 99% success rate.

Nothing will happed to Oba Otudeko, EFCC as an organization is equally as corrupt.

Where did you get your information that 600 billion dollars have been looted
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by mrfreestuff: 7:41pm On Apr 30, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:
The power behind Wale Tinubu is far greater than the power behind First Bank Oba Otudeko and Awosika.
You are getting it mixed up and obviously not familiar with the capital market and history of Oando right from Agip days.
The only reason Oando is stil alive now is because SEC is not DPR that regulates its sector unlike FBN dealing with the regulator of their core business.

So far, it has proven that SEC is far more brutal and Oando lost so so much. Unlike FBN that got forbearance for 6 years, Oando has been under the hammer of SEC now for about 3 years, no AGM, no share appreciation and Wale Tinubu and Omamofe Boyo sacked by SEC.
Now SEC has introduced a criminal investigation into the mix !
Your commentary gave you away as an outsider on the real issue. If Asiwaju Tinubu had backed Wale Tinubu, Oando should not be this heavily punished. CBN for 3 years asked FBN to comply but FBN ignored it and even the CBN governor pleaded with Chief Otudeko but he still went ahead to sack the MD and you say Oba Otudeko is not powerful shocked

At 78 years , billionaire ,OON award holder, Former NSE President, one of the godfathers of the accounting profession, Chief Otudeko is a Man of Timber and Iroko. That you didn't know this alone still show that you know very little about the man sir.

Please stay on politics lane sir. This is corporate Nigeria politics, not your familiar APC-PDP politics sir that is all comers.
Like politics of professional groups, there is ranking. In corporate Nigeria, the likes of Chief Otudeko is a Field Marshall.
Even FBN governor credited the board for taking the bank back to a healthy state but he obviously took his desire to have his way to the extreme. He should have listened to the CBN governor but I wait until I hear his own side.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 7:43pm On Apr 30, 2021
mrfreestuff:

You are getting it mixed up and obviously not familiar with the capital market and history of Oando right from Agip days.
SEC is far more brutal and Oando lost so so much. Unlike FBN that got forbearance for 6 years, Oando has been under the hammer of SEC now for about 3 years, no AGM, no share appreciation and Wale Tinubu and Omamofe Boyo sacked by SEC.
Your commentary gave you away as an outsider on the real issue. If Asiwaju Tinubu had backed Wale Tinubu, Oando should not be this heavily punished. CBN for 3 years asked FBN to comply but FBN ignored it and even the CBN governor pleaded with Chief Otudeko but he still went ahead to sack the MD and you say Oba Otudeko is not powerful shocked

At 78 years , billionaire ,OON award holder, Former NSE President, one of the godfathers of the accounting profession, Chief Otudeko is a Man of Timber and Iroko. That you didn't know this alone still show that you know very little about the man sir.

I agree with you.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:46pm On Apr 30, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:

Sanusis’ case is different. He was out for blood! shocked Had people with Emefieles’ disposition been in charge at the time, banks like Oceanic and Intercontinental would still be around today! Ditto, Arik for the airline industry!

In the US and Uk, gov’ts can give bailout funds when huge corporations that employ tens of thousands are in distress. What they then do is take over management of the coy until the funds are repaid. The UK did this for Northern Rock and another bank whose name escapes me at the moment (think it’s RBS)....and the US did something similar for the auto industry.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 7:47pm On Apr 30, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Where did you get your information that 600 billion dollars have been looted

Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 7:49pm On Apr 30, 2021
mrfreestuff:

The only reason Oando is stil alive now is because SEC is not DPR that regulates its sector unlike FBN dealing with the regulator of their core business.

So far, it has proven that SEC is far more brutal and Oando lost so so much. Unlike FBN that got forbearance for 6 years, Oando has been under the hammer of SEC now for about 3 years, no AGM, no share appreciation and Wale Tinubu and Omamofe Boyo sacked by SEC.

Please stay on politics lane sir. This is corporate Nigeria politics, not your familiar APC-PDP politics sir that is all comers.
Like politics of professional groups, there is ranking. In corporate Nigeria, the likes of Chief Otudeko is a Field Marshall.
Chief Otudeko might be be a timber and Iroko in the corporate sector. When it comes to the political arena he is a novice compared to Wale Tinubu.

The alleged infractions by Wale Tinubu's Oando, in other climes would have earned him life imprisonment. However, in Nigeria that is just business as usual. It is unheard of anywhere for the SEC that is in charge of protecting shareholders interests to be restricted in it's primary function.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 7:49pm On Apr 30, 2021
[quote author=RuudVanNisteroy post=101268351][/quote]

This is just a sensational headline.

Where are your documents backing the alleged thefts?
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 7:54pm On Apr 30, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

This is just a sensational headline.

Where are your documents backing the alleged thefts?

The source is world reknown The Economist and not your roadside hawker.

Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by mrfreestuff: 7:56pm On Apr 30, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

Chief Otudeko might be be a timber and Iroko in the corporate sector. When come to the political arena he is a novice compared to Wale Tinubu.

The alleged infraction by Wale Tinubu's SEC, in other climes would have earned him life imprisonment. However, in Nigeria that is just business as usual.

Please stay on the usual bread, butter and gbosgbas politics sir. That's for gbogbo ero and agbero alike.This one you are dabbling into is not your forte.

Wale Tinubu that can't even get his board to fall in line or get out of SEC punishment, you are comparing him to a Big Iroko like Chief Otudeko.

Even Chief Otudeko is a senior professional colleague to Asiwaju Tinubu in the accounting profession let alone his age and wealth. As we type here, Oando is so badly beaten that it is the cheapest oil stock on NSE and Wale Tinubu is sacked by SEC and no correspondence from him is accepted.

SEC is not the regulator of Oando's core business so SEC can't close suspend their licence. If Oando were to be a stockbroking firm or registrar, SEC would have suspended their license.

I will no longer reply you if you still go on with remarks that confirm that you know little about the capital market. I just wanted to help you fill the gap on what you clearly don't understand or not familiar with.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 7:58pm On Apr 30, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

The source is world reknown The Economist and not your roadside hawker.

Is that a source, show me documents not people flashy properties.

How can you say 600 billion dollars was stolen and you got no proof except pictures.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 8:06pm On Apr 30, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Is that a source, show me documents not people flashy properties.

How can you say 600 billion dollars was stolen and you got no proof except pictures.

I gave you the source the credible Economist. I will send them a Freedom of Information request regarding their sources.

There is a reason Nigeria was ranked third worst most governed nation in the world without basic amenities as healthcare,good road network,portable water,sanitation system,good quality education system.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 30, 2021
mrfreestuff:

Please stay on the usual bread, butter and gbosgbas politics sir. That's for gbogbo ero and agbero alike.This one you are dabbling into is not your forte.

Wale Tinubu that can't even get his board to fall in line or get out of SEC punishment, you are comparing him to a Big Iroko like Chief Otudeko.

Even Chief Otudeko is a senior professional colleague to Asiwaju Tinubu in the accounting profession let alone his age and wealth. As we type here, Oando is so badly beaten that it is the cheapest oil stock on NSE and Wale Tinubu is sacked by SEC and no correspondence from him is accepted.

SEC is not the regulator of Oando's core business so SEC can't close suspend their licence. If Oando were to be a stockbroking firm or registrar, SEC would have suspended their license.

I will no longer reply you if you still go on with remarks that confirm that you know little about the capital market. I just wanted to help you fill the gap on what you clearly don't understand or not familiar with.
Chief Otudeko is a novice in the political arena. Look at the way he got kicked out like a small boy.

Wale Tinubu is far more connected politically than he is. SEC only suspended the management and appointed former Shell Managing Director, Mitiu Sunmonu, to oversee the operations. Before he got the court order to SEC action.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 30, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

I gave you the source the credible Economist. I will send them a Freedom of Information request regarding their sources.

There is a reason Nigeria was ranked third worst most governed nation in the world without basic amenities as healthcare,good road network,portable water,sanitation system,good quality education system.

So a sensational headline from economist is a credible proof.

You don't have to send them any request, they have no proof likewise you have no proof.

Nigeria is ranked third worst most governed nation in the world because the people are ungovernable. They are more interested in sabotaging their country than to build it.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 30, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

So a sensational headline from economist is a credible proof.

You don't have to send them any request, they have no proof likewise you have no proof.

Nigeria is ranked third worst most governed nation in the world because the people are ungovernable. They are more interested in sabotaging their country than to build it.

Yes, blame the people and not the fantastically corrupt leaders that got reported to her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg7lfHL_l1w
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 30, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

Yes, blame the people and not the fantastically corrupt leaders that got reported to her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg7lfHL_l1w

You keep shifting from goal post to goal post.

Is that a proof of the 600 billion stolen?
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 2:10pm On May 01, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

You keep shifting from goal post to goal post.

Is that a proof of the 600 billion stolen?
I showed you the source the Economist. The have access to data before they Editor published it.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 01, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

I showed you the source the Economist. The have access to data before they Editor published it.

Why don't you post the data they have.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 01, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Why don't you post the data they have.
I posted the source The Economist.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 4:06pm On May 01, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

I posted the source The Economist.

Where is the data, where is the data.

Why do you keep going from post to post.

Is the source a document or a sensational headline.

Can you tender an headline in the court of law without evidence
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 01, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Where is the data, where is the data.

Why do you keep going from post to post.

Is the source a document or a sensational headline.

Can you tender an headline in the court of law without evidence
It was published by The Economist and Punch Newspaper. Former EFFC Chairman said the amount stolen since independence was $380 billion 15 years ago.

Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 01, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

It was published by The Economist and Punch Newspaper. Former EFFC Chairman said the amount stolen since independence was $380 billion 15 years ago.

One newspaper wrote 600 billion another 380 billion.

Which one should we believe?

Btw, news articles without evidence is jumbo journalism.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 4:19pm On May 01, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

One newspaper wrote 600 billion another 380 billion.

Which one should we believe?
One was in 2006 and the other was in 2019. That means an additional $220 billion dollars was looted.
Re: Throwback: Court Voids SEC’s Suspension Of Oando Management by Nobody: 4:20pm On May 01, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

One was in 2006 and the other was in 2019.

Lol....so which one is telling the truth?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Making Money From Real Estate In Nigeria / 165 Ton Crane For Sale / What Biz Can One Do With 1m?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.