Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home (12125 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home / Nigerians Travelling Abroad Must Take Polio Vaccine By 2013 – WHO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by oasis: 11:45pm On Feb 08, 2006
“Our country is that spot to which our heart is bound” (Voltaire).
After 25 years of living in the United States a friend of mine finally retuned home. His desire to return has been in the works for almost five years; but as much as he tried, he couldn’t bring himself to doing so as he couldn’t get past the issue of basic infrastructures like NEPA, clean potable water, waste disposal, and other aspects of human security. To think that what most other societies take for granted -- law & order, abundant food supply, clean environment, first-rate schools, health care and other factors that contribute to ones quality of life -- is a luxury in Nigeria is simply heart-broken. It is because it isn’t as though Nigeria does not have the resources to provide these basic needs.

This fear, this reality discouraged my friend -- just as it has discouraged some seventy percent or more of Diasporan Nigerians from returning home. Life for most Nigerians abroad is a double edged sword: despised at home and unwanted abroad. Our government does not know what to do with us. Some of us are too educated, too expensive or too worldly to be absorbed by the economy or by the political space. Others have roots so deep within the American system that any attempt to uproot would cause grave pain and agony. And for a few others, the shame of a wasted sojourn abroad does not allow for a permanent return. For most therefore, returning home can be a difficult, expensive or impossible proposition. At the very least, it can be a complicated undertaking.

But more than the aforesaid, here is the real pain and regret: people like me have wasted and continue to waste away our time and talent in this and other countries -- helping to develop our host countries while our ancestral homes continues to rot and rut. We have spent our golden years in a land that is not ours. Most don’t even know where and how to begin. The laws are not clear on any given matter. And most of us are not even sure if there are processes and procedures in place for reintegrating into the Nigerian political and economic space. For instance, to what office do I apply for authorization if I wanted to establish a private secondary school? What if I wanted to establish an insurance or investment company? To whom or to what office do I report if I feel aggrieved? The cost of doing business or reverse migration is simply too expensive and cantankerous.

My friend has business plans. He is going to be self-employed. But he wife was a teacher in a community college. Almost five months since their arrival in the country, she has not been able to find a job in any of the universities. However, before my friend left he (1) built two houses -- one for his use and the other for rent; (2) exported two medium size power generators to counter NEPA’s inefficiencies; (3) exported three cars -- one for himself, the other for his wife and the third for sale and for extra cash; (4) asked to be introduced to a couple of military and police officers in case he needed extra help. He paid “soft landing fees” for this service; and (5) he did not completely disengage from the United States just in case things go wrong in Nigeria and they needed to return. Sad, but those are the steps he took. But why? Why Nigeria?

Nigeria is not an easy country to live in. And more so for those who have spent considerable amount of time in the western world. Most of us have family members who are steeped in poverty. Such people become ones responsibility. There are school and hospital bills to be paid; debts to help repay; bribes to give; and family support to render. Because of the culture, one is forced or “forced” to be ones brother’s keeper and in the process constraining or stunting ones economic and social growth. Family members aside, there are the constant bribing of government officials if one wants to get anything done. You bribe the police and security services, the examining and admissions officers, the phone and light company personnel, the folks at the banks and the court clerks. Everybody take and gives bribes. Not even our religious and spiritual guides are immune from this scourge. Not to give or take bribe is generally considered impolite.

In spite of all the negativities and fear, Nigerians like me would like to return home. But where do one start? Would I fit into the Nigerian economic and political space? Would the government see me as a threat to her shenanigans and selfish interests? Would my local peers see me as an outsider and as someone to frustrate out of the system? Would my children and wife feel welcome and in place? Is the atmosphere conducive for personal growth and development? Would my ideas be considered and or tolerated? Is my safety and that of my family guaranteed? Would the government affirm my human rights and if abridged, can the courts restore it and the restoration obeyed by the executive branch? I wonder. And others wonder, too.

In spite of all these, there is something about Nigeria that grips ones heart and soul. The irony is that Nigeria is not even a country that cares about the vast majority of her citizens; it is not even a country that brings out the best in her citizens; yet, Nigerians love her. They love and adore her. They dream about her and have fond memories of her. There is something about Nigeria that makes Nigerians teary-eyed when they speak about their land. It must be love. It must be love because even in their moment of melancholy and utter disgust, they can't help but kiss and hug their land. How unfortunate that Nigeria is incapable of reciprocal love. Perhaps with the right leadership, viable institutions and a populace that was willing to fight for and take their countries back, socio-economic progress would be made and human development achieved.

If I were to return to Nigeria, where do I go? I have fond memory of Ilorin and Jos. Besides Lagos State where I was born to Ijaw parents, Ilorin and Jos are my second and third homes. Government Secondary School, Ilorin, is where I spent some of the best part of my formative years. It is a school and a city that is etched deeply into my soul. And Jos. Ha, how could I forget Jos: her gentle and peace loving people; and the magnificent landscape and soothing weather. Is it possible for me to return to a Nigeria that once was, the Nigeria of my youth or am I a stranger to be denied my rightful stakes? I wonder.

And if instead of Jos and Ilorin, would Port Harcourt and Lagos welcome me? After all, my umbilical cord was cut in Eko and the soil still holds my blood. And my soul knows Port Harcourt too. Or perhaps, the only place I now have a right to is deep in the groove of the Niger Delta, in Ijawland -- the land of my ancestors. But, what does it mean for a Nigerian like me to return to Nigeria? What does it really means; and how do I know what it means?

Sabidde@yahoo.com
Washington DC 20001
http://www.nigeriaworld.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3046
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by xanadu: 1:22am On Feb 09, 2006
Hear, hear! I feel you, my compatriot! A most poignant and soul-touching piece. A lot of people reading it, based in Nigeria, may not fully grasp what I did in reading that piece.
I too am based outside Nigeria, and have been for the past 10 years. And I can identify with all oasis wrote.
In spite of all these, there is something about Nigeria that grips ones heart and soul. The irony is that Nigeria is not even a country that cares about the vast majority of her citizens; it is not even a country that brings out the best in her citizens; yet, Nigerians love her. They love and adore her. They dream about her and have fond memories of her. There is something about Nigeria that makes Nigerians teary-eyed when they speak about their land. It must be love. It must be love because even in their moment of melancholy and utter disgust, they can't help but kiss and hug their land. How unfortunate that Nigeria is incapable of reciprocal love. Perhaps with the right leadership, viable institutions and a populace that was willing to fight for and take their countries back, socio-economic progress would be made and human development achieved.
It is indeed love. Nigeria still has a strong pull no matter how long one may have spent outside it. Oasis has highlighted a lot of things that may make life rather difficult for one who has spent a while outside of her shores. But... herein lies the dilemma a lot of Nigerians abroad are in. On the one hand, we would like to follow our hearts, pull up and head out to the land of our birth and make a living in the midst of our beautiful brothers and sisters.

On the other hand, our heads say that it may be risky to bring ourselves and our families back home, where our children may not be able to do their homework at home because of NEPA power outages, or get access to pcs at school or the healthcare they are used to; to our motherland, albeit one where we may have to sleep with one eye open for fear of intruders looking to strip us of what possessions we may have managed to acquire.

What then? Do we deny our great country of our skills, talents and general presence, and continue to love her from a distance? Or do we resolutely, and with a corporate mind, decide that somehow, we must find a way to change the society? It's a difficult nut to crack - and is moreso if one has a family to consider. This is an interesting thread - who knows, we may find encouragement and inspiration to crack it as we hear what others have to say about this.

Xanadu
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by c0dec(m): 3:34am On Feb 09, 2006
oasis:

How unfortunate that Nigeria is incapable of reciprocal love.

and who is Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Neodayo(m): 3:51am On Feb 09, 2006
I really like the piece you wrote, and am sure alot of people feel this way, but to be honest we as Nigerians and Africans have to be real. They say the first step to solving a problem is to admit you have one. I have spent years trying to figure out why the country is in such a bad shape, and the only conclusion I have come to is for us to look in the mirror. You have Nigerians living abroad that can't admit that thing's are bad. While some believe things will get better over time without change. Putting pride aside, Nigeria is the 13th poorest country in the world, I bet you will have some Nigerian's argue that this is false.
We need to speak the truth and face the countries problems with brutal honesty, maybe then things and people will change. The change that's needed will have to be done in and out of Nigeria, like the piece stated the love for Nigeria is there forever regardless of where we might call home for now.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Hotstepper(f): 4:58am On Feb 09, 2006
nice piece i must confuse..though still a studuent, ma dream is 2 go abck and work and live in 9eria but den when i think of no light etc, it pains me so much dat a country with such resources and even give electricity 2 other nations and they have power 24/7 but den cannot have any ourselves..i keep praying 4 dat country..i shall be dere soon if i land ma dream job at abuja....
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by icingbaby(f): 5:56am On Feb 09, 2006
wow i have to say i feel you on this one, i have been in the state for a while now and anytime i think of going back i get scared because there are a lot's of corruption going on, you can't speak your mind is just too much even some of my Nigerian friends here doesn't even want to go back home, I'm even trying to convise both of my brothers to go back to Nigeria, just to go visit but i don't think is working any time soon.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by lioness(f): 9:47am On Feb 09, 2006
angry angry
I really don't care how nigeria is and how comfortable i am now in Uk.
Being in Uk for over 10 years doesnt make me a briton. Having a red passport doesnt make me british.
Having their fuuny accent doesnt make me acceptable.
Truth of the matter is Nigeria wont change spontaneously. I even doubt if an effective change will begin in our generation. Yet, i love that country. That is the only country i can come out and be myself.
You guys are talking about nepa and all. No one has mentioned the okada {cyclists} and the noise and air pollution from trailers on the road. People honking their cars like a dragon is behind them. In all, home is home.

I am definitely going back.
No security ----- yes but God is he that secures,
No electricity -------  Get a good generator system
No where to start from  -------  get a biz u know will work in 9jia and take it down.

ME I DEY GO ................. not so soon though. Am still loving this place. grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by EddyTells(m): 10:52am On Feb 09, 2006
Nigeria 

i don't know about going back honestly.
Its something am not considering at all.

I know a couple who left back to 9jia last xmas. Theirs was understandable, because they ve been here for 8 years and things haven't been easy for them at all. I f i were in that situation, i would definitely go back home.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by lioness(f): 11:05am On Feb 09, 2006
Wow shocked if they were in 9jia these eight years perhaps stuff would have worked for them.
Its not so easy living in these countries. Most people are not so priviledged to get good stuff to do. Others just work to pay bills bills bills. But most times it works for people
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by shockreaction(m): 11:07am On Feb 09, 2006
Heh, well said.

Speaking of the problem in Nigeria, a riot (yes, smashing windscreens, etc) started about a few metres in front of me (about 15-20 footsteps; I was on a bike anyway), yesterday, in Festac (2nd gate/Agboju market area), over the death of a student or something. Don't know if that has made it to the news yet...

You've got to love watching people run from danger tongue
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by mikun(f): 12:30pm On Feb 09, 2006
I have been living here now for 14 years and when I think about living in Nigeria, it is scary. Everyone is out to cheat you, I drive and I consider myself a good driver, but i cannot see myself drive in Nigeria. There are no rules and regulations and if there are they are ignored.
People expect to be paid to do their jobs....even petrol attendants. And I am not even going to go into petrol scarcity in an oil producing country.
There is always a reason for the students to go on riot , thereby spending an extra year or two in Uni.
The rich are just getting richer, there is no middle ground .

Imagine a whole governor of a state dressing up as a woman to flee the UK. It is just too shocking

I have been to restaurants in Lagos and sales assistants are so rude it is unbelievable. Everyone is just used to it and just carry on as normal.Please and thank you are still in the dictionary.
I can write a book but I am going to stop here.
I belive corruption is still the main thing crippling Nigeria. If everyone refuses to give bribe that would be a start
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Kokscity(m): 1:49pm On Feb 09, 2006
@ Oasis

Na Gun you go carry come comot me for God's own country.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by lioness(f): 1:52pm On Feb 09, 2006
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Kokscity(m): 1:55pm On Feb 09, 2006
@ Oasis

Na Gun you go carry come comot me for "God's own country" My new Adopted home. I was in Naija last November and December,doing feasibility study on how to open a business. The country is depressing, and if you have had better, then you expect better. For those in Nigeria, i wonder how the do it. I refuse for someone to sell me a $5 shirt for N4500 when i know how to get to  Target or Marshalls . Nigeria needs a lot of prayers and people that can differentiate between right and wrong. It is sad that we have let corruption and the idea of a quick buck to spread into all facets of our society.

Kokscity BELIEVES STRONGLY IN LAW AND ORDER.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Kokscity(m): 1:57pm On Feb 09, 2006
@Lioness

Oh u thought that was funny? Did you find out if the Visa thingy has been lifted?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by lioness(f): 2:00pm On Feb 09, 2006
cheesy yeah, i heard march 2006. Funny that i say am going back home and at the same time am getting all my pple out of 9jia grin grin grin

Well......... lets see
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Kokscity(m): 2:06pm On Feb 09, 2006
@Lioness

I try to go back once or twice a year. But just to see family and floss a little. But the place is a terrorist camp. It is Hot, no rules on the road,no electricity, beggars,419ners,no running water,everything is expensive. Damn!!! I ain't going back to live. Maybe i can do in and out, but to Live? Hell No!!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by omon(m): 2:09pm On Feb 09, 2006
@Kokcity, did you hear that there was a nerve gas attack in the US? I am not sure you guys are safe afterall. It may be a fluke now, but don't be suprised at what may happen soon.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by EddyTells(m): 2:13pm On Feb 09, 2006
@ omon, did you hear about bird flu in Nigeria smiley

Guess no where is really safe
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by omon(m): 2:22pm On Feb 09, 2006
Thank you, there are hazards everywhere. While the bird flu might have been due to a natural course, you cannot tell me that planting a nerve gas occurs naturally. Those are the handwork of terrorists and their targets? - the west!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by osteen(m): 3:04pm On Feb 09, 2006
If America desides to carry out internation enlisting i sure say na omo nigar go enlist pass. I beg live story for story teller. if i find way commot dis country, even suicide bomber not go make me come back..... shocked cheesy wink
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by EddyTells(m): 3:13pm On Feb 09, 2006
;DOsteen ohhh. Broda man dont be too desperate oh. Not all that glitters is gold.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by luridguy(m): 4:21pm On Feb 09, 2006
going abroad probably, maybe, mostlikely ,..................but will i come back certainly there is no place like home no matter what i will come back home cool
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by lioness(f): 4:29pm On Feb 09, 2006
undecided men! its easier said than done.

By the time you get used to a system that works, you'd be tooooo reluctant to carry yourself back to a disorganised system. Its even worse when u've got your family with you abroad or they've all got access to the foreign country then you dont even see any need of going back at all.

God go help us sha
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Kokscity(m): 6:12pm On Feb 09, 2006
@Omon

I think you are watching 24. Nerve gas attack ke? Any way you know i prefer the hazards here than in Nigeria so let's not go down that road. Nigerian Hazards are just silly. No question i would rather be living in the Hood in Yankee, than in Victoria Island Lagos or even Maitama Abuja. Even if i am shot in the Hood, One can dial 911 for help and your chances of survival are better. Make una carry Nigeria chop, i will go once or twice a year, catch my fun with my family, and bounce. Once my money starts to finish, i am out of that dump.

Kokscity is currently bleeding red,white and blue!!!! Nigerian by Birth, American in my soul.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Kokscity(m): 6:25pm On Feb 09, 2006
@Lioness: Abeg help tell this people !!!!!1

I get nephews and nieces wey be American by birth, my sisters and cousins are here.I bought my home brand new in 98 and have paid mortgage for 8yrs now. I live in a great neighborhood with no crime, great public schools( if i ever have kids)they can go to.I have paid social security taxes and i am eligible for benefits when i retire. Abeg Wetin come join me with going back to Nigeria? I dey Yankee dey chop Pounded yam on demand,African restaurants dey everywhere, Nigerian parties full wey i fit see Nigerians if i want, different people to meet from all over the world. Make i leave all that go Nigeria for wetin now?

Abeg make those wey wan go home go abeg! Kokscity is fully Americanized. I ain't going nowhere! Holla!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by icingbaby(f): 6:51pm On Feb 09, 2006
Kokscity:

@ Oasis

Na Gun you go carry come comot me for God's own country.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy for real because to go live in nigeria is big no no for me.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by raldsfield(m): 9:35pm On Feb 09, 2006
Well don't forget the point, We all have a chance to make history. I don't know the way you are looking at Nigeria or rather Nigerian's. The situation is bad, yes i agree. But the biggest problem in Nigeria is Nigerians are hungry.

This is our country if you decide to live in the US or the UK, or where ever you are for the rest of your life, your children will want to know where they come from some day. Don't forget, God didn't create these countries that way. Men and Women with passion made impart in there nation when it mattered the most.

I think this topic is a master piece, and the Guy that introduced it has done something that should puzzle minds.

We have to rebuild Nigeria, as for me am in the UK to learn. People like us from other nationalities are in Nigeria making their money and so can we. We have got the work force, the population. Nigerians only need to be empowered.

Some how the power is been taken from the Government at the moment and believe me it is a matter of time, 20 years from now there will be improvements. Am happy they are selling everything. Some day these ventures will need to start making money, and that is when the change will start.

Look at PH for example, Calabar, these places are changing even some parts of Lagos. Am out here to gain knowledge and make money, have a good life yes far better than what i will get in Nigeria.

But am going back. I won't let Nigeria go down, I will make my own impart some how. Still trying to figure out how.

Nigeria is not poor, or the poorest country, Nigerian's could be the poorest, we have got enough Oil, too much gas, this is the same thing that is sustaining countries like Russia, Saudi, and many of the Middle East countries.

I don't know how much you pay for Gas but my last bill was crazy. In Nigeria Gas is flared. This is cash in flames.

Hope am still making sense. I LOVE Nigeria and there is no place like home, and it has the potential of being the capital of Africa. Wish My dream comes through, then I will have many of you running back to see the transformation hopefully.

For those who have passion for My country NIGERIA don't let it die.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Eastcoast(f): 3:16am On Feb 10, 2006
oya everybody, u have heard oasis, pack your bags and board the next flight. halele... straight home!!! now winkcheesy
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by sage(m): 7:36am On Feb 10, 2006
Return to naija to live? yeah i will do that only in a coffin.

I live in a country where things work smoothly and i cannot exchange it 4 anything. Fatherland my nyash. I can only return to that chaos called naija to live permanently in a coffin.

At least i don't see dead bodies everyday everywhere on the streets. since i left naija, ihave been able to sleep in peace.

I strongly believe in law and order.

The west provides that
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by owo(m): 8:11am On Feb 10, 2006
Touchy...very touchy thread.

Nigeria's case is clearly a that of '....hope deferred makes the heart sick'.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by lioness(f): 9:18am On Feb 10, 2006
grin grin 9jia too much ooo grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

When Will The Zenith Light Come On? / Most Populous Cities In Nigeria 2015 - T.I.N / Lagos-ibadan Expressway: We Worry Over Rush Hour Traffic – Motorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.