Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,498 members, 7,816,187 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station (33702 Views)

How I Was Scammed By A Dishonest Uber/Bolt Driver / Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station / Please What Can Make A Fuel Pump Not To Supply To Carburetor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 5:14pm On May 06, 2021
I have been hearing of this scenario that plays out in fuel stations, but I didn’t know my day is coming.

Today I had an emergency, dashed into a random fuel station and told them to sell fuel of N5000 for me.

I am very sure I saw him put in that nozzle, I saw it read to N5000. Got into the car and my fuel gauge didn’t adjust immediately, neither did my “Distance to E”. I had to attend to the situation first with the little fuel I had, then rushed back to the fuel station. Still no improvement. I was almost empty at this point.

We started dragging the matter o. He was insisting my fuel gauge is faulty. Oya sell another one put, let’s test the fuel gauge, he refused. That he won’t sell any fuel for me again. Other cars there started insisting he sells for me, so we had to testrun with N2000 fuel and it moved.

He said maybe it just started working. I told him to go ahead and full the tank, knowing the capacity of my tank, I wanted to see where full tank would enter. He started doing it and stopped at a little over N3000. Said he won’t sell again.

Oga what happened to the N5000 fuel, he said I should ask my car. Give me my money or fuel, he said he won’t, that he sold fuel for me.

I looked around for anything of value, my target was his phone, but I didn’t see it. I saw their POS machine. picked it, got into my car and locked the doors. They tried to block me, I moved and he jumped out of the way. There was a little traffic, so he rushed to get a wood to hook my tyre, I climbed it and zoomed off with their POS machine riding shotgun.

Let’s all count our losses or they should come arrest me.

220 Likes 15 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 5:14pm On May 06, 2021
How do they even pull it off? I was livid.

Asking me useless questions like I am a learner.

Update!!!

It is past 8pm and we just left the fuel station, someone insisted we go back there. She said she is pitying them. Pity me too na.

Got there and they were in premium tears “Madam you get mind, Madam you get mind”. Can I see the manager now? The manager comes out and I explained to him. He said he has been getting a lot of such complains lately and it can’t be a coincidence. He told me he already planned deducting the loss from POS sales from their salary, that’s why they were in tears.

Anyway, they added more fuel to the car, then the remaining was put in a keg that I came with, knowing the car was almost full.

They still insisted they sold N5000 worth of fuel, lol. I guess rapture took place in my fuel tank.

Thanks for the responses here. I am very patient with service providers, but I hate when they test my patience or take me for a fool.

Gave them back their POS machine. They gave me my fuel. We are even now.

144 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 06, 2021
E no go pass all those mumu upcoming filling stations.
I swear you deserve an award for what you did. I'm so happy that you were smart enough to detect and even punish the thieving mollusc.

I watch my distance covered before I fill my tank due to my accountability nature. I also do so in order to know if the consumption is malfunctioning. Anyway na habit. In this light everytime I want to fill I check,and fill it with 11000 worth and 1500 injector cleaner. Even the guy selling once he sees me he does it without asking. A day came I met someone else at the nozzle. Wetin concern me I just said put 11000 with injector cleaner. After sometime he said he was done. The indicator went a notch past half. Bros why na. This thing no full. The guy just started insulting me in Yoruba. Na question I ask na insult he bring. I was speaking English O. Trying to calm down na so the guy insult my mama join. Na there my control fuse blow. I just reverse block the "in" gate, parked, wound up my glasses, went to the guy and dealt him a resounding slap. That day they saw hell. Them beg me with fuel. Use keg carry am from pump go their gate top my fuel with hose I no still gree. That day for them be like Christmas. Them enjoy my weyrey. Omo since then na nnpc O. Unless when better owu blow me wey no cash na him I dey use others.

Pele poco. Use nnpc next time

154 Likes 11 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by doggedfighter(f): 5:17pm On May 06, 2021
He messed with the wrong woman grin.

This isn't funny.

Our fueling stations and short dispensing !

Will they ever change?
How are we sure these boys don't do this in connivance with the management.

5k is just too much !

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by uboma(m): 5:17pm On May 06, 2021
What is the name of the Petrol station?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by MegaDesign: 5:19pm On May 06, 2021
Sorry o , welcome to 9ja

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Kondomatic(m): 5:23pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

Those guys blow air into tanks, I have no idea how they do it.

6 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by AgentGoat: 5:26pm On May 06, 2021
ok. Why not report them to the authority?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Mutemenot(m): 5:27pm On May 06, 2021
You did well nigga, hope they didn't copy your plate no... here we don't claim to be rich men, just walk down from your car and see how the meter runs by yourself ... everybody eye dey shine for this naija

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 5:29pm On May 06, 2021
doggedfighter:
He messed with the wrong woman grin.

This isn't funny.

Our fueling stations and short dispensing !

Will they ever change?
How are we sure these boys don't do this in connivance with the management.

5k is just too much !

I told him I am not normal o. All the while we were arguing my eyes was looking for something of value. The second I saw the POS machine, I grabbed it and made for my car. He is mad!

uboma:
What is the name of the Petrol station?

I didn’t look at the name. It was random. Looked fine and that was it. The fact that there weren’t many public transport there should have told me something was wrong. grin

84 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by doggedfighter(f): 5:31pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

I told him I am not normal o. All that while my eyes was looking for something of value. The second I saw the POS machine, I grabbed it and made for my car. He is mad!

He's raving mad truly.

What of their manager?
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Angrygoat: 5:31pm On May 06, 2021
It has happened to me like 3 times,making me change my fuel pump alongside my useless bastard rewire also scammed me. 1st incident,I was on yellow reserve tank,pulled up to one station, sell me 3k fuel, after moving abt 100 metres,still yellow tank. I couldn't go back cos I was in a hurry,had to stop at another station like 800m away,miraculously i paid 1500 pos,my yellow light went off,guage shifted. 3rd one was at night,infact ppl dey beg me to calm down. What nonsense,he said its my fuel pump,its faulty. I was scammed another 3k again,i drove so mad that ppl thought it was a stolen car,only for me to reach total with my last 2k, my gauge shifted and yellow light went off. See now na pack of cigarettes dey my hand,if u wan scam me for fuel,no p,I go light cigarette begin smoke,begin near the nozzle,all of us go die together. Its so painful man. I wasted money ordering new fuel pump complete on honda, the country is so messed up and all stupid shady activities go unchecked. Na fire for fire,fire from my cigarette and the other fire for fire extinguisher. Fire for fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8uyGJzwo58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6VHqFgOA6I

63 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Poorboy: 5:31pm On May 06, 2021
You for no move your car there, you go enter problem.

If they had followed you and said you stole their pos machine, street boys seeing you with the pos when you're caught might burn you alive inside that car.

Now you can't prove that he didn't sell 5k fuel to you because you left with your car from their fuel station.

If them carry you go Court you go serve jail term for your mistakes or pay heavy damages they will claim.

Next time apply wisdom, everything in life no be gragra

156 Likes 13 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 5:33pm On May 06, 2021
Mutemenot:
You did well nigga, hope they didn't copy your plate no... here we don't claim to be rich men, just walk down from your car and see how the meter runs by yourself ... everybody eye dey shine for this naija

I came down. I don’t many times to be honest, but because he couldn’t figure out how my tank works, I came down to show him. E just wan run me street. A whole N5000 in this Buhari’s economy. He doesn’t need to copy my plate number, my car is quite different. Make e block me whenever he sees me again.

Kondomatic:
Those guys blow air into tanks, I have no idea how they do it.

After COB they will share the money. Thieves!

Villagemeat:
They is a sim card inside that POS terminal,it will be use to trace you. And you will spend more money for that act.
I strongly condemned your actions,bcs you after as a child

Yes there is a sim inside. Even my friend was shocked when I stopped to pick it where I kept it. I could have easily destroyed the evidence if I wanted. Worse was, I had the conversation recorded, but they stupidly didn’t have a CCTV footage. You will think a lot of CCTVs in Nigeria are working till you need them.

Those guys would have done nothing. The manager already acted like the typical Naija boss, “debit all of them for the loss”, not spend his money to look for an angry black woman.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by doggedfighter(f): 5:33pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

I told him I am not normal o. All the while we were arguing my eyes was looking for something of value. The second I saw the POS machine, I grabbed it and made for my car. He is mad!

I didn’t look at the name. It was random. Looked fine and that was it. The fact that there weren’t many public transport there should have told me something was wrong. grin

No much transporters is a big red flag.

Do you have evidence because I am sure we have not heard the last of this.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Elsueno: 5:33pm On May 06, 2021
He didn't know it was the lioness of nairaland, otherwise he won't have tried that

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by spinna: 5:35pm On May 06, 2021
That was dumb because of 5k you risk a charge of robbery or your car being burnt or you ma being lynched..

cheat me make i live long .. is a proverb my powerbike mechanic told me his dad taught him.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 5:35pm On May 06, 2021
doggedfighter:

He's raving mad truly.

What of their manager?

That was the first person I asked for and he said their manager wasn’t around. Any supervisor, he said none. The guy was so brazen, that was what infuriated me.

doggedfighter:

No much transporters is a big red flag.

Do you have evidence because I am sure we have not heard the last of this.

Evidence of? Just the receipt of payment.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by doggedfighter(f): 5:36pm On May 06, 2021
Angrygoat:
It has happened to me like 3 times,making me change my fuel pump alongside my useless bastard rewire also scammed me. 1st incident,I was on yellow reserve tank,pulled up to one station, sell me 3k fuel, after moving abt 100 metres,still yellow tank. I couldn't go back cos I was in a hurry,had to stop at another station like 800m away,miraculously i paid 1500 pos,my yellow light went off,guage shifted. 3rd one was at night,infact ppl dey beg me to calm down. What nonsense,he said its my fuel pump,its faulty. I was scammed another 3k again,i drove so mad that ppl thought it was a stolen car,only for me to reach total with my last 2k, my gauge shifted and yellow light went off. See now na pack of cigarettes dey my hand,if u wan scam me for fuel,no p,I go light cigarette begin smoke,begin near the nozzle,all of us go die together. Its so painful man. I wasted money ordering new fuel pump complete on honda, the country is so messed up and all stupid shady activities go unchecked.

This country can make one lose all his cool and decency. They keep pushing people from all angles.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by doggedfighter(f): 5:40pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

Very infuriating nonsense.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by doggedfighter(f): 5:42pm On May 06, 2021
MejiLoyon:
E no go pass all those mumu upcoming filling stations.
I swear you deserve an award for what you did. I'm so happy that you were smart enough to detect and even punish the thieving mollusc.

I watch my distance covered before I fill my tank due to my accountability nature. I also do so in order to know if the consumption is malfunctioning. Anyway na habit. In this light everytime I want to fill I check,and fill it with 11000 worth and 1500 injector cleaner. Even the guy selling once he sees me he does it without asking. A day came I met someone else at the nozzle. Wetin concern me I just said put 11000 with injector cleaner. After sometime he said he was done. The indicator went a notch past half. Bros why na. This thing no full. The guy just started insulting me in Yoruba. Na question I ask na insult he bring. I was speaking English O. Trying to calm down na so the guy insult my mama join. Na there my control fuse blow. I just reverse block the "in" gate, parked, wound up my glasses, went to the guy and dealt him a resounding slap. That day they saw hell. Them beg me with fuel. Use keg carry am from pump go their gate top my fuel with hose I no still gree. That day for them be like Christmas. Them enjoy my weyrey. Omo since then na nnpc O. Unless when better owu blow me wey no cash na him I dey use others.

Pele poco. Use nnpc next time

This show go sweet. I swear grin

You put film for them grin
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by tolufase: 5:42pm On May 06, 2021
That's what country has been come. Sincerity has been taken out of life.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by doggedfighter(f): 5:46pm On May 06, 2021
tolufase:
That's what country has been come. Sincerity has been taken out of life.

Exactly and it's so sad.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by seunoj: 5:46pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:
I have been hearing of this scenario that plays out in fuel stations, but I didn’t know my day is coming.

Poco, be calming down. Na sakamanje dem use for u. U na strong babe sha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 5:48pm On May 06, 2021
Poorboy:

Now you can't prove that he didn't sell 5k fuel to you because you left with your car from their fuel station.

If them carry you go Court you go serve jail term for your mistakes.Next time apply wisdom, everything in life no be gragra

Lol. You must be one of these dubious pump attendants.

As for carry me go court, do I look like someone scared of being sued? I look forward to them taking me to court. Toor!

poiZon:

So if they carry her to court, court will just punish her and sentence her without giving her opportunity to defend her actions?
I bought 5k fuel and the guage didnt move, and the foolish boy claimed my fuel guage is faulty.. And u think court wont call a technician to confirm if its faulty or yet still bring down the tank and check whether the fuel inside is up to the volume i bought?
Do u think court act like an average agbero that will act before listening?

The way they mention court, one would wonder how many people they have sued or jailed cheesy. They think a Nigerian organization will spend their profit to pursue a customer over the actions of a staff? Hire a lawyer and be going back and forth over POS machine. They will simply transfer the loss to the staff.

When I got back, the guy whose shift was over was still sitting there, eyes red, hoping I come back. He was so calm. I asked him, “So you can be this humble? I am surprised.” Same guy that was telling me to move and see.

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 5:52pm On May 06, 2021
spinna:
That was dumb because of 5k you risk a charge of robbery or your car being burnt or you ma being lynched..

cheat me make i live long .. is a proverb my powerbike mechanic told me his dad taught him.

It is like you people think we all live in Amukoko where there are angry hoodlums on standby waiting to lynch.

As for the 5k, can you reimburse me the money ASAP?

Poorboy:
you're a fool, you feel you're wise.

People like you learn the hard way maybe too late, keep displaying your foolishness

Seems you are the guy. What is your name again?

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by uboma(m): 5:52pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

Most of the Petrol stations we have in Nigeria have altered their metres to shortchange motorists who patronize them.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by SportsHD: 5:56pm On May 06, 2021
Happened to me also at one station in 3rd avenue abj. Put call, guys pulled up, couple of slaps, bundled him into the boot. Took the intervention of the manager to stop us from driving away. He was in the office all these while watching the drama unfold.Shaa, Got 10k fuel for compensation.

The liver on those guys would infuriate even an angel.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by bukhety(f): 5:59pm On May 06, 2021
Hi Poco, there is a proverb from my side that, we can only know the beginning of a fight, we might not know the end.

I would have preferred you officially report him. Even if the manager is not around, you could go back there tomorrow. Or at least make them know they've lost a customer.

If you had taken his personal phone, well, it's understandable, but as it is, it is company property you have taken and the guy can rope you.

I would advise you return to the filling station and demand to see the manager. Explain to him)her what transpired. Please do this before the day runs out. Wisdom is profitable.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by illicit(m): 6:01pm On May 06, 2021
Where
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 6:04pm On May 06, 2021
bukhety:
Hi Poco, there is a proverb from my side that, we can only know the beginning of a fight, we might not know the end.

I would have preferred you officially report him. Even if the manager is not around, you could go back there tomorrow. Or at least make them know they've lost a customer.

If you had taken his personal phone, well, it's understandable, but as it is, it is company property you have taken and the guy can rope you.

I would advise you return to the filling station and demand to see the manager. Explain to him)her what transpired. Please do this before the day runs out. Wisdom is profitable.

I planned going back there...

It is not okay to just lose a customer, you think these guys care? They will keep doing it. My money is gone like that. Who cares about them losing a customer? I didn’t plan going there again, it was a random filling station I dropped into. I took my time, even spent extra money to prove to the ediot that he didn’t sell fuel to me, yet he was telling me to ask my car. What nonsense is that?

Thanks for the advice sis.

25 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See How The Toyota Supra Has Evolved Since 1978 (photos) / Horror In Benue: Trailer Crushes 8 Students To Death In Otukpa (photos) / Spot The Difference Between These Chinese Copycat Cars And Their Original Models

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.