Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For (3710 Views)

WhatsApp Rolls Out A Feature That Makes It Easier To Message Yourself / Xiaomi Became Number One Smartphone Brand Globally For First Time Ever / Whatsapp Accidently Confirms New Feature That Many Users Really Want (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Falconx47: 12:28am On May 10, 2021
Reparability - That's the word!

I am inspired to write this because of a recent video I stumbled upon on youtube, which reaffirmed a viewpoint I've always had.

Nowadays, manufacturers of smartphone seem to be doing everything possible to take away the ability to repair their gadgets, should any minor damage happen to it from the users, this is aimed at forcing such consumers to buy the next new thing.

Two most popular ways they do this is by making the components integrated or expensive, or restricting the parts supply or expertise for repairs. In both cases the result is an impossible/difficult to repair device or a very costly to repair device (so much that sometimes, you're just better off buying a new one - which is their aim anyway).

This is firstly unhealthy to the pockets of low income earners, and unnecessary spending to even people that can afford new devices all the time. Looking at the bigger picture, this practice also leads to generation of large amounts of e-waste, resources used to make these products are quite finite, I won't delve into the children who are dying in congo...so that big brands can make hyped components. But of course the makers don't care...they're here for profit, no matter the cost to the planet.

So when next that new latest device is launched, and all the hype, unboxing and review around it starts raving and you start feeling pressure to buy...take a minute to research into the reparability of the device, simply put if this my phone falls and the screen breaks, will I be able to change it? How easy or costly will it be?

That will help a lot in buying sustainable brands and products, Nigeria is only a section of the market and nairaland is even a more micro section of this market, but factoring reparability into buying decisions and spreading the word could go a long way to forcing this manufacturers to stop seeing users the way drug dealers see addicts...

Edit...

Since someone mentioned it, there are ways to find out if a smartphone is easily reparable before you buy.

The supplier's repair service, does the maker of this device have committed parts and repairs service from the outset?

History of that particular brand, the older generations and versions of phones from this maker, how durable were they? If they got spoiled, were they reparable? And at what cost? etc.

My own method is teardown videos (this might be boring for someone who isn't tech savvy), but teardown videos on YouTube shows you bit by bit of how the components of every phone that comes out are assembled, this way it's easy to know how difficult it will be to uncouple a device or switch a part.

Another way could be to ask questions, ask a good phone repair guy, very good tech and repair people stay ahead of development, so they usually know what a new phone is made of, before they start breaking and needing repairs.

In any case, the idea is to buy things that are durable, and that can repair is they sustain a minor damage, better for your budget, better for our world.

15 Likes

Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by zoeA: 12:34am On May 10, 2021
You don finish?

2 Likes

Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by aumusa: 4:41am On May 10, 2021
Xiaomi and techno boys are coming for you ���

1 Like

Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Kaymax2222: 5:22am On May 10, 2021
There are some sense in this. But too bad big corporation only cares about profit no matter the detriment to the planet.

3 Likes

Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Nobody: 5:34am On May 10, 2021
Falconx47:
Reparability
So when next that new latest device is launched, and all the hype, unboxing and review around it starts raving and you start feeling pressure to buy.
you are referring to tecno here. How many tecno unboxing by Henry has made front page since last month? At least 7! Nairaland in conjunction with tecno are really ripping Nigerians.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Connected1: 6:20am On May 10, 2021
Bro what's happening to the children in Congo?
Is the hunger we all know or the children don dae suffer another one again?

1 Like

Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Nobody: 6:47am On May 10, 2021
wow never thought phone article could b boring
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Phcmayor(m): 7:22am On May 10, 2021
What are you talking about
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by networkgenuis: 7:41am On May 10, 2021
zoeA:
You don finish?

You dey mind all these people claiming to be ‘woke’. Thought he was going to educate us on how to identify phones that are easy to repair and stuff but no, he went on a tangent to start talking about children in Congo and resource sustainability.

You dey third world country come dey worry yourself with first world problems.
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Jacku: 7:43am On May 10, 2021
Falconx47:

I am inspired to write this because of a recent video I stumbled upon on youtube, which reaffirmed a viewpoint I've always had.

Nowadays, manufacturers of smartphone seem to be doing everything possible to take away the ability to repair their gadgets, should any minor damage happen to it from the users, this is aimed at forcing such consumers to buy the next new thing.

Two most popular ways they do this is by making the components integrated or expensive, or restricting the parts supply or expertise for repairs. In both cases the result is an impossible/difficult to repair device or a very costly to repair device (so much that sometimes, you're just better off buying a new one - which is their aim anyway).

This is firstly unhealthy to the pockets of low income earners, and unnecessary spending to even people that can afford new devices all the time. Looking at the bigger picture, this practice also leads to generation of large amounts of e-waste, resources used to make these products are quite finite, I won't delve into the children who are dying in congo...so that big brands can make hyped components. But of course the makers don't care...they're here for profit, no matter the cost to the planet.

So when next that new latest device is launched, and all the hype, unboxing and review around it starts raving and you start feeling pressure to buy...take a minute to research into the reparability of the device, simply put if this my phone falls and the screen breaks, will I be able to change it? How easy or costly will it be?

That will help a lot in buying sustainable brands and products, Nigeria is only a section of the market and nairaland is even a more micro section of this market, but factoring reparability into buying decisions and spreading the word could go a long way to forcing this manufacturers to stop seeing users the way drug dealers see addicts...
hmmmm... You made a valid point. Off the topic, are you into Marketing? Cos you're using some marketing terms.
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Jacku: 7:44am On May 10, 2021
Xiaomi1:
you are referring to tecno here. How many tecno unboxing by Henry has made front page since last month? At least 7! Nairaland in conjunction with tecno are really ripping Nigerians.
Man! You're just a silly troublesome human. What makes you think it's not Xiaomi he's talking about?
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by SEGLIZ: 7:53am On May 10, 2021
Xiaomi1:

no allow high blood pressure kill you there.
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Nobody: 8:03am On May 10, 2021
[quote author=Jacku post=101541805]Man! You're just a silly troublesome human./quote]na me collect your girlfriend? How is it my fault your small penix can't satisfy her wide pussy?

1 Like

Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Jacku: 8:09am On May 10, 2021
[quote author=Xiaomi1 post=101542268][/quote]that's it? This is your come back? Very lame and shallow
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Nobody: 9:33am On May 10, 2021
I need a new phone cry
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Africanwardrobe(m): 10:29am On May 10, 2021
SEGLIZ:

no allow high blood pressure kill you there.

No mind am oo, na yeye dey worry am...pls check dz out

https://www.nairaland.com/6539320/dont-left-out-make-insane
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Shellsploit: 10:46am On May 10, 2021
Amazing...
All this Samsung phones with expensive screen.

U buy phone 160k, to change damaged screen na 140k.
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by McStoic(m): 11:28am On May 10, 2021
Falconx47:

Edit...

Since someone mentioned it, there are ways to find out if a smartphone is easily reparable before you buy.

The supplier's repair service, does the maker of this device have committed parts and repairs service from the outset?

History of that particular brand, the older generations and versions of phones from this maker, how durable were they? If they got spoiled, were they reparable? And at what cost? etc.

My own method is teardown videos (this might be boring for someone who isn't tech savvy), but teardown videos on YouTube shows you bit by bit of how the components of every phone that comes out are assembled, this way it's easy to know how difficult it will be to uncouple a device or switch a part.

Another way could be to ask questions, ask a good phone repair guy, very good tech and repair people stay ahead of development, so they usually know what a new phone is made of, before they start breaking and needing repairs.

In any case, the idea is to buy things that are durable, and that can repair is they sustain a minor damage, better for your budget, better for our world.

Very interesting post. By the way, please who knows where I can buy a fairly used HTC One X? I was using the phone but it had power button problem in 2018, so I need to buy another one with good power button to change it. That phone contains what I can die for. Hence, I need to retrieve the files. Thanks to a helper in advance.
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Khd95(m): 12:47pm On May 10, 2021
so if i buy phone and he quick spoil, you will expect me to buy from that same brand again

2 Likes

Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by Collinsville22: 2:43pm On May 10, 2021
*GET YOURSELF A FULLY VERIFIED & APPROVED PAYPAL ACCOUNT*

You'll Send & Receive Money From Any Part Of The World Easily

*You Would Easily Withdraw Funds To Your Nigerian Bank Regularly*

*Its #3,000 ✅✅Click Now* ����

https:///3xZaEw1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by CelebCircle: 3:05pm On May 10, 2021
Wow!! So Davido still has some good morals oo.. He didn't allow his 4yr old daughter twerk..��

Watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tehE8if_gfw
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by CrestAssured: 5:59pm On May 10, 2021
Lollittaa:
I need a new phone cry
lol. Try Crest Assured
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by ChikezieU(m): 6:23pm On May 10, 2021
Falconx47:

Edit...

I love the phrase, "they are here to profit no matter the cost of the planet"

That's a killer syndrome
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by sagieramos(m): 10:44pm On May 10, 2021
McStoic:

Very interesting post. By the way, please who knows where I can buy a fairly used HTC One X? I was using the phone but it had power button problem in 2018, so I need to buy another one with good power button to change it. That phone contains what I can die for. Hence, I need to retrieve the files. Thanks to a helper in advance.
You can still turn it on without changing the power button. Just remove the button. You'll find a small aluminum ball below. Remove it with a pin and use a small flex wire to scrub or touch and hold onto the switch panel (the position you removed the aluminum ball). The phone will come on in 3-5secs

If the aluminum ball still clicks, you don't need to remove it. Use a Broome to press and hold it until the phone comes on
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by hoilakes(m): 10:56pm On May 10, 2021
Nicely shared! grin
Falconx47:

Edit...

Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by McStoic(m): 8:20am On May 11, 2021
sagieramos:

You can still turn it on without changing the power button. Just remove the button. You'll find a small aluminum ball below. Remove it with a pin and use a small flex wire to scrub or touch and hold onto the switch panel (the position you removed the aluminum ball). The phone will come on in 3-5secs

If the aluminum ball still clicks, you don't need to remove it. Use a Broome to press and hold it until the phone comes on

Woow..this really looks technical. Thanks all the same. Nairaland is really a treasure trove knowledge.
Re: The One Smartphone Feature That People Don't Look Out For by ikenna405: 9:03am On May 12, 2021
Collinsville22:
*GET YOURSELF A FULLY VERIFIED & APPROVED PAYPAL ACCOUNT*

You'll Send & Receive Money From Any Part Of The World Easily

*You Would Easily Withdraw Funds To Your Nigerian Bank Regularly*

*Its #3,000 ✅✅Click Now* ����

https:///3xZaEw1

(1) (Reply)

Pls Anybody With Celtel Settings 4 Browsing Opera Mini, Migg33 And Others / Unlock Your Iphone In Less Than 30mins / Glo Explains Why They Slashed Their Blackberry Plan To ₦899.for 3GB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.