Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,928 members, 7,817,718 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed (3183 Views)

Which Of These Dog Breeds Do You Own Or Wish To Own? (Photos) / Top 5 Dog Breeds That Are Best For Guarding Nigerian Homes / Murphy the Boerboel and Gustaf the German shepherd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 12:34pm On May 17, 2021
Hi all,
Ever since I came into the dog world 'the german shepherd' has been my main breed focus,I think my love for this breed owes to their wolf-like physique and structure (yea I like wolves smiley ) so I've based my research so far on the German Shepherd breed and along the line I came across some fascinating dog breeds that share the same characteristics/physique with the German Shepherds..Below are some of the Gsd-lookalike breeds
(PLS NOTE: This is an educative thread,every contrary opinion and correction is allowed but pls do so politely,we are all learning)
Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 12:38pm On May 17, 2021
1. SHILOH SHEPHERDS

The Shiloh Shepherd is an intelligent companion dog breed that responds well to training. Their gentle personality makes them excellent service dogs or therapy dogs. They're very similar in appearance to a German Shepherd Dogs, but the shiloh shepherd is larger than the German Shepherd.

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 12:45pm On May 17, 2021
2. American Alsatians

The American Alsatian is a dog breed that was developed in California in the 1980s to resemble the now-extinct Dire Wolf. It's a large dog breed at about 25 to 32 inches tall, weighing around 100 pounds which I would say is quite bigger than an average Gsd

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 12:54pm On May 17, 2021
3. KING SHEPHERDS

The King Shepherd is a hybrid dog breed that looks a lot like the German Shepherd, you could hardly differentiate between the two. They were bred from altering the German Shepherd bloodline as they're a mix of many different breeds, but always have German Shepherd ancestry. The main colors of King Shepherds are fawn, red, black, brown, and sable. Their coats are usually a combination of two or more colors.The difference between German Shepherds and King Shepherds is that GSDs are purebred, whereas King Shepherds are a relatively new crossbreed. Both breeds appear almost identical, although the King is somewhat larger. King Shepherds were bred for a slightly different temperament and fewer health issues. They are more of a Livestock guardian than a companion

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by decatalyst(m): 1:05pm On May 17, 2021
Most people, especially in Africa don buy this "alternative" Breed to GSD and they will be shout "pure breed" Upandan.

grin grin

These dogs looks so much alike to GSD

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 1:19pm On May 17, 2021
decatalyst:
Most people, especially in Africa don buy this "alternative" Breed to GSD and they will be shout "pure breed" Upandan.

grin grin

Yh they do.......hmm yh from my point of view if any dog breed has been recognized and registered by kennel clubs and other regulating bodies ,it becomes a pure breed
Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 1:28pm On May 17, 2021
I'll be uploading more breeds soon...
Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by olamirewaju6190: 3:02pm On May 17, 2021
Lmao, pure pedigree breed grin
Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by DonFreshmoney(m): 5:52pm On May 17, 2021
Please what breed is this

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 6:07pm On May 17, 2021
DonFreshmoney:
Please what breed is this
Do you have parents pic?! Truth is you can't really say for now but it looks like a Gsd (but its probably a mix I might be wrong though) ,wait till it's about 5-6 months then it'll be easier to identify

2 Likes

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by DonFreshmoney(m): 6:17pm On May 17, 2021
RYEOFARMS:

Do you have parents pic?! Truth is you can't really say for now but it looks like a Gsd (but its probably a mix I might be wrong though) ,wait till it's about 5-6 months then it'll be easier to identify

Dont have a parent pic.. the person I bought it from says its GSD but my mum thinks it's a local dog.. I was however guessing it could be a rotten..

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 6:45pm On May 17, 2021
DonFreshmoney:

Dont have a parent pic.. the person I bought it from says its GSD but my mum thinks it's a local dog.. I was however guessing it could be a rotten..

Without the parents pic, don't trust what the seller says, most of them just want to make fast cash,I was once a victim too....my junior brother wanted to get a Gsd (though we knew it wasn't 100% purebred due to the price an all) but we asked to see the parents pic to know exactly what we might end up with but the seller was reluctant and insisted that it was purebred,he refused to send pictures and wouldn't even let us come over to his place but then my bro was eager to get the pup he said he likes it and went ahead to get it from him (I wasn't around when he did) and infact my vet even told us twas purebred undecided .....
To cut the long story short,he ended up with a local mixed Gsd, you'll find it's pic in the link below
https://www.nairaland.com/6178657/need-gsd-puppy-urgently

but then this taught me an important lesson when I wanted to get my own Gsd pup,I started researching on the breed and made sure I saw the parents and was satisfied with what I saw before I paid for the puppy, you can see mine in the link below and note the difference in quality
https://www.nairaland.com/6390405/meet-lady-mabel-ryeo-jin
Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 12:31am On May 18, 2021
4.The Native American indian dog

The Native American Indian Dog is an intelligent dog breed that also looks similar to the German Shepherd. It originated from the United States. It's a large dog breed at about 23 to 34 inches tall, weighing between 55 to 120 pounds.

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 12:45am On May 18, 2021
5.The White Swiss Shepherd

The White Swiss Shepherd Dog is a breed of dog from Switzerland. It descends from American White Shepherds imported to Switzerland; the White Shepherd itself descends from white-coloured purebred German Shepherds. In terms of size they weigh almost the same as Gsd at around 40kg

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by sonofspada(m): 1:39am On May 18, 2021
What breed is mine?

His name is pablo 1yr old

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 10:59am On May 18, 2021
sonofspada:
What breed is mine?

His name is pablo 1yr old
It looks like a Gsd with a short coat sir,if you don't mind can you post a full pic for clarity
Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by sonofspada(m): 7:16pm On May 18, 2021
RYEOFARMS:

It looks like a Gsd with a short coat sir,if you don't mind can you post a full pic for clarity
Here are the pix

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 7:36pm On May 18, 2021
sonofspada:

Here are the pix
Your dog looks good, it's a Gsd alright
Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by sonofspada(m): 7:51pm On May 18, 2021
RYEOFARMS:
Your dog looks good, it's a Gsd alright
He sure is. Alsaintian perhaps
Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 8:15pm On May 18, 2021
sonofspada:

He sure is. Alsaintian perhaps
Well there's a story to the Alsatian name.... dating back to the world war 1 (I think),the americans were at war with the Germans so they didn't want to call their dogs "German Shepherds" therefore the name ALSATIAN was adopted for the Gsd but it's still the same german bred, totally different from the American Alsatians

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by sonofspada(m): 8:30pm On May 18, 2021
RYEOFARMS:

Well there's a story to the Alsatian name.... dating back to the world war 2 (I think),the americans were at war with the Germans so they didn't want to call their dogs "German Shepherds" therefore the name ALSATIAN was adopted for the Gsd but it's still the same german bred, totally different from the American Alsatians
Thanks this is somewhat enlighten

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 11:10pm On May 18, 2021
sonofspada:
Thanks this is somewhat enlighten

You're welcome
Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by space9880: 9:51pm On May 20, 2021
decatalyst:

grin grin

when you buy puppies from registered parents you know what you're getting.

1 Like

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 11:55pm On May 20, 2021
6. The KUNMING WOLF-DOG

Another Gsd look-alike is the KUMMING WOLF-DOG.
The Kunming dog is an easy-going and approachable family companion that thrives on having a task to perform. It is reserved with strangers and can be protective when threatened. If it is well trained and has had early exposure to kids, a Kunming Wolfdog can coexist peacefully with children.The Kunming is taller, yet a bit smaller than the German Shepherd. Their height ranges from 25 – 27 inches (64 – 68 cm). With the weight being 66 – 84 pounds (30 – 38 kg).

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 6:01pm On May 25, 2021
6. AUSTRALIAN KELPIE

The Australian Kelpie is an Australian sheep dog capable of mustering and droving with little or no guidance. It is a medium-sized dog and comes in a variety of colours. The Kelpie has been exported throughout the world and is used to muster livestock, primarily sheep, cattle and goats....
It shouldn't have made the list for Gsd look-alikes (atleast most people who are familiar with the breed will hardly confuse the two but there's a color variation that has had me confused for quite a while now and that's the liver colored type of both breeds)
1&2 pic (Kelpie)
3rd pic (Gsd (liver-colored)

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 4:35pm On May 26, 2021
7. THE CALUPOH

The Calupoh wolfdog is also another breed that resembles the black German Shepherd.The Calupoh is a hybrid canine breed native to Mexico. This hybrid breed has been developed since the 1990s from a genetic project that involved the breeding between dogs and wolves, with the aim of carrying out a cultural rescue. Since the Wolfdog was part of the regional culture for a long time.

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 4:50pm On May 26, 2021
8. THE BELGIAN SHEPHERD/MALINOIS

Although the Belgian shepherd was also bred for the purpose of herding,they are completely different from the German Shepherd.It looks more like a mini/small sized Shepherd but once you're familiar with the breed you will be able to spot the difference at a glance.

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 12:47am On Jun 05, 2021
9. The BOHEMIAN SHEPHERD

The BOHEMIAN SHEPHERD Is also a sheepdog also known as CHODENHUND, originating from Czech, they have been guarding Bohemian southwestern borders and homes in the area of the Chod region. Despite the resemblance of the bohemian shepherd with the German Shepherd, both dog breeds are in no way related to each other.

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 8:53pm On Mar 29, 2022
10. The Belgian Tervuren
The Belgian Tervuren is a majestic, black-masked herding dog with a rich fawn to mahogany coat and black overlay at the tips of the hair. Tervs are one of four distinct herding breeds developed in different regions of Belgium. Don't they resemble the German shepherd?!

Re: Fascinating Dog Breeds That Resembles The German Shepherd Breed by RYEOFARMS(m): 1:19am On May 25, 2022
11. BLUE BAY SHEPHERDS
The American Blue Bay Shepherd is an extraordinary new wolfdog breed. It is a mix of the very rare old-world Blue German Shepherd dog and the equally rare blue wolfdog. It retains a distinctive wolfish appearance but thrives as an active companion animal.
Another k9 breed looking similar to the GSD

(1) (Reply)

Please What Is The Breed Of This My Dog / Why do Dogs Hate Me So Much?? Save A Soul!!!! / 4 Months Old male Caucasian Dog For Urgent Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.