Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,339 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster (19764 Views)

Anambra Airport Is Ready, Waiting For NCAA Approval For Commercial Flights / Man Who Climbed Azman Aircraft At Lagos Airport Is From Niger Republic - FAAN / Bayelsa International Airport Is Almost Ready (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Mynd44: 7:04am On May 20, 2021
1. I have been struggling with this since returning from my UK trip last week, but my conscience insists I must say it: @raufaregbesola the immigration services at the MMA (Lagos Airport) is a disaster. I can't believe that this Agency is under you sir/

2. Arrived on BA at about 7.10pm. Disembarked and was in a queue for at least 2hrs 30mins. Got home at about 10pm and home is just 10minutes away from the Airport. Sir, the system there can be styled "no system" or "confused system". First step on arrival is for the COVID health/

3. clearance which is not in your domain. On this my complaint is with the dress of the officers. They are dressed in potpourri of clothing-many colours like Joseph's. What would it take to give them T.Shirts in one colour and put a label on it Health Officer or COVID Protocol/

4. Then the queue begins to snail towards immigration. A snail would have overtaken us many times without number by the speed of our movement. So, I set out to be objective in my analysis:
(a) There are three layers of checks at the Immigration
(b) First layer appears to be NDLEA

5. NDLEA had 2 desks and 2 officers- curiously one had no mask on. I asked for his mask and he picked it up from somewhere to show me. He did not have it on and we had just been subjected to a COVID test check-paid huge sums to get a test in the UK before the trip (£125) and paid

6. for the Nigerian test at N50k. So it is a huge joke to find officials not wearing masks at the NDLEA and Immigration desks. So about 2 or 3 flights arrived about the same time, so that explains the long queue, but what is grossly unconscionable is to have 2 officers of NDLEA

7. on duty to attend to over 600 passengers, knowing that without their own clearance, the immigration cannot take their turn. 2 officers created and create the bottleneck.
(c) The Immigration officers process is cumbersome-one person checks something first on the passport and/

8. then hands over the passport to another person for stamping-just plain waste of time in my opinion. In my view, the 2 officers could have been doing the checking and stamping and not one doing one process and another doing another. Again there were just too few immigration/

9. officers on duty. We have all been to other countries. In the UK, once there is a surge of passengers, more booths are opened up to take care of the surge. Surely coming back home to one's country should not be a tedious and tiring process. Another problem is that there are /

10. way too many officers loitering who could have been put to use where they were really needed. Of course citizens were upset. Many ranted, many fumed. It was incredibly difficult to defend Nigeria with such gross ineptitude. The AC was not put on-We discovered that it was/

11. functional after about 40 minutes of intense heat, when just easily, the ACs started emitting some cold air. Another annoying thing was the number of times that immigration officers came to the queue to call out some people for preferential treatment. There were many of us/

12. who defended Nigeria by saying that people queue for long periods even at Heathrow or JFK, but when eventually you discover that the problem lies with processes, then you can't excuse this as it is incomparable with the queuing abroad. /

12. Dear Honourable Minister sir @raufaregbesola, the failure is yours sir. The same problem is the racketeering occurring in procurement of Passports. Let me not go there at all. I have always believed that you are the right man for the Ministry. You still have time to sort/

13. out the rot in the Airport. Please do not fail the President @MBuhari and do not fail the nation sir. I come in peace. The end.
https://twitter.com/iyaboawokoya/status/1394678997628428290?s=19

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Ikomfreshest: 7:05am On May 20, 2021
Everything in Nigeria is a disaster right now

BVn: 22301820730
Account: 6550148646 Fidelity Bank
Desmond Agbor

Details of my employee who stole my money

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by BruncleZuma: 7:06am On May 20, 2021
grin grin grin grin

We know
Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by stunnert(m): 7:06am On May 20, 2021
My uncle who is also a private investigator in the states complained of this same thing when he came around last month. His point was the NDLEA were understaffed in the NO 1 Airport of the federal republic of Nigeria.

Contact me if you need a private investigator.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by AmazingELixir: 7:06am On May 20, 2021
We know....not just Lagos alone they're all thesame useless things

Op however the quoted is where you got it wrong.....Telling people who have failed woefully not to fail...wait until you pass through customs then you'll appreciate the enormity of the challenges of cross border interactions in this country;

" I have always believed that you are the right man for the Ministry. You still have time to sort/

13. out the rot in the Airport. Please do not fail the President @MBuhari and do not fail the nation sir. I come in peace. The end
."

11 Likes

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by lindareep: 7:07am On May 20, 2021
I can imagine... wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by STENON(f): 7:07am On May 20, 2021
Hmmm shocked
Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by oluwaseunamos33(m): 7:07am On May 20, 2021
Hmm
Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Tdotbluejays1: 7:08am On May 20, 2021
How is this news?

Did the OP just crawl out of a cave to not know about Nigerian airports?

Nonsense post.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Koryc: 7:08am On May 20, 2021
Nah wa
Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by mmsen: 7:08am On May 20, 2021
The immigration service in Nigeria is USELESS.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by rawtouch: 7:09am On May 20, 2021
cool

those ones did not go to the office to work but to collect egunje

1 Like

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by obaino1: 7:09am On May 20, 2021
be gratefull that you are still cleared without dropping something. on a normal day, you wont go free without them charging you something

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:10am On May 20, 2021
Clearance which is not in your domain. On this my complaint is with the dress of the officers. They are dressed in potpourri of clothing-many colours like Joseph's. What would it take to give them T.Shirts in one colour and put a label on it Health Officer or COVID Protocol/
Why will they be dressing like Father Christmas in the line of duty?
Are they comedians or what exactly?!
Something must be done about this ..... ASAP!

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Omihanifa: 7:11am On May 20, 2021
Public service in Nigeria is trash

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by CSTRR: 7:12am On May 20, 2021
This APC madam.

The ambassador of poverty.

Asking Nigerians why should they eat rice and rice is a luxury.

Just to defend the APC.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by chukiz(m): 7:12am On May 20, 2021
Anything handle by the federal government or local government is totally useless.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by otunbakolawole(m): 7:14am On May 20, 2021
The country is a huge joke

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Chimeluv(f): 7:14am On May 20, 2021
When we are ready we will do things the right way but we are not ready undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Articul8(m): 7:14am On May 20, 2021
Not only at the airports,even the land borders

1 Like

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by clarocuzioo(m): 7:15am On May 20, 2021
Honestly speaking each time I get to the MMIA I shook my head in pity for this nation.

I always tell those around me that our AIRPORT is so porous. You can easily move drugs or other contraband as every government agency there is only interested in bribe.

Nobody cares about being disciplined and diligent to their work.

They have a very lazy and lousy attitude to work.

Everything about that Airport is an eyesore to the Nation.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Upton: 7:15am On May 20, 2021
Why is she crying? She's a Buharist! She only came on Twitter to rant because she wasn't given preferential treatment like others on the queue and because she couldn't reach the minister personally.

17 Likes

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by alienvirus: 7:17am On May 20, 2021
Airport? Such a very dirty airport with dilapidated infrastructure. You will cry for the country called Nigeria. All government workers are worse than the government they are working for. All they want is money without work.

You will be wowed when you visit smaller countries and observe how they perform and sorry when you see what your countrymen do here. Not their fault. What happens in Nigeria is done by Nigerians. Nigeria itself isn't happy with Nigerians.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by EagleNest(m): 7:17am On May 20, 2021
Inefficiency, zero patriotism and lack of supervision, is it not what has landed us to the hell fire we are in as a country. What the ops pointed out has been there for over two decades of my going thru that airport. Some times it looks as if there is hope, but many a times they destroy every hope like as it is today. Okay! Let's see what Rauf will do. The immigration passport disaster is already a shame for a country that prides itself as giant!�

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by heartbraker(m): 7:17am On May 20, 2021
A
Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Jh0wsef(m): 7:18am On May 20, 2021
Naija has a long way to go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by CSTRR: 7:18am On May 20, 2021
The solution to the immigration mess is simple.

Just get staffs on standby somewhere, prepped, trained and ready for employment at a moment notice.

Send spies to the airport, watch any immigration staff misbehaving, note his/her desk, and fire him/her by the end of the day.

Replace the next day with the new staff.

By the time, you do it for one week consistently, both the old staff and the new staff will act professionally so as not to lose their jobs.

Don't be surprised that as simple as this solution is, nobody in the aviation space has thought of it.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Blurpy: 7:19am On May 20, 2021
Exactly my experience in march to South Africa.
My departure wasn't stressful sha because it was a midnight flight. But my return to Nigeria was hectic, as soon as we entered the arrival hall ,it was soooooo booty mehn, I mean real hot that we started sweating, talmabout we were all wearing sweaters some hours ago. The health/covid19 officer check was very slow with the queue but this was a heaven when it came to the immigration check, Omo there is no sort of organizement at all. No queueing arrangement, the officers were even quarrelling amongst themselves, some on mufti too, most just came out to carry their own persons which must have greased their palms especially foreigners who would pay in dollars. The South African with me couldn't even bear to wait for me when I was awaiting my luggage at the luggage section because the environment was just too hot.
Then trolleys were used for free at OR Tambo Airport but in Nigeria those officers will want to collect like 500 before allowing you to use it. Omo, I lose hope for Nigeria o. But I still believe in Nigeria, if only insecurity will be solved to an extent, good roads and electricity,naira valuation to some extent, I swear all Nigerians abroad will come back .

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by emmadejust(m): 7:19am On May 20, 2021
I wonder all the training of management they have still they can't manage smooth running of the airport ... But they will show private organization regulation standard

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Iyabo Awokoya: Immigration Services At MMA (Lagos Airport) Is A Disaster by Simplebeauty: 7:21am On May 20, 2021
undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sudan: Second Batch Of Nigerians Arrive Abuja From Port Sudan (Video, Photos) / Lets Talk Oman / Visiting Nigeria For The First Time In 2 Years, Any Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.