Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,457 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do (40325 Views)

My Experience Traveling By Air For The First Time (update) / I Am Traveling By Air For The First Time / I'm Traveling To London, Follow Me On My Journey..... (2) (3) (4)

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Victor455: 11:11am On May 27, 2021
Copied
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Nobody: 11:20am On May 27, 2021
AerialMapper:
Get to the airport on time

Walk to the ticket counter and check-in your luggage (if any), our airlines are archaic so you have to follow your luggage to the baggage scanner where they'll scan it and try to extort you if you are carry certain items. Keep perfumes, creams and any liquids you do not wish to lose in you checked-in baggage. If you are traveling with only hand luggage, leave them at home.

Walk to the departure area where they'll ask you to strip, another archaic practise. Dont wear socks with holes or have smelly feet or wear oversized trousers that will fall if you take off your belt. Cos you'll take off your belt , shoes, watch. Also keep your laptop in your hand luggage and bring it out separately for scanning.

Next, you'll sit in the departure lounge and this is where you have to be very aware. The announcers speak through their nose and you can miss your flight if you do not listen carefully to every announcement. Keep a mental note of your flight number and airline before your enter Ethiopian air and find your self in Addis Ababa.

Your flight will be called and you'll queue for boarding. Nigerians love to rush to the front of the queue so they'll take up overhead bin space in the aircraft...so take note.

You'll get to the aircraft and you look for you seat using the seat number on your ticket. Sit down, put on your sear belt and relax.

On landing, as usual, nigerians will jump out of the seat to rush out of the aircraft. Dont panic, there is no fire, we are just always in a hurry.

Get off the plane, walt to the arrivals, get you check in luggage if any and make sure you still have your luggage claim slip. We have yet another archaic practice of checking luggage slips when leaving the terminal.

Enjoy!!!!!!!

The bolded is not an archaic practice though...You know how people steal?
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Blackdisciple(m): 11:36am On May 27, 2021
Just relax and buckle up
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by joshmee4real(m): 11:40am On May 27, 2021
CilicMarin:

You will be surprised that it would be easier for you to navigate your way through the airport than Good is Good motors, Ezenwata Motor Parks etc..

However these are the steps;

Make sure you arrive the airport 1 hour before departure time(Since you are flying for the first time) . Once you get to the airport departure hall, check for the booked airline stand, because you are going to be seeing: Max air, Air Peace , Dana Air cubicles inside the hall...you can also ask anybody on reflective jacket(officials) to direct you to your airline stand...

When you get there, join others on the queue for checking in..make sure, you have your ID card and booking number handy..Once checked in, you would be handed a boarding pass to enable you board your plane....and if you carry a heavy luggage, they would be also checked in...don't worry about where they are taking your bags to..be rest assured, you would see them in Kano upon arrival...

When you are done with the above, ask them to direct you to the boarding hall, where you are going to wait for announcement of your airline...listen attentively whenever any announcement is made and check your ticket if your airline is being called; You would be hearing something like: Max Air 777 Lagos to Kano boarding at exit G etc..

Now, I assume you have entered inside the plane...show any of the cabin crew members your boarding pass, he/she will direct you to your booked seat...Then wait for further announcements by the air crew including the pilot...Don't look down if you have phobia for height grin grin..and don't panic, when the plane encounters air turbulence or they would find out say you be JJC... grin Just look for newspaper and be acting as if you ve been flying all your life.. grin

On arrival in Kano, just follow fellow passengers to where you can retrieve your baggage...then hail a taxi to your hotel or destination...

Safe journey!

Chai. You tried in this breakdown o.
You must be a regular in air travels.
Me nw, like twice I ve been given money to take flight to Abuja, but for where?
I go stay along for road, and keep the change.
Don't blame me, we dey try save. And nah God dey protect everybody.

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by kcowen(m): 12:01pm On May 27, 2021
[quote author=CaptainZubi post=102096584]I have my ticket already. Flight slated for next week. I decided to check out the domestic airport today and see things ahead of time but everything was so confusing . I tried asking one man i met at the departure entrance and he just dey squeez face like person wey never chop. I went back home empty handed. Everything is just confusing. Entering ezenwata , God is good or chisco no get wahala reach this .
With Regards to this,met me either at MMA2 or GAT( General Aviation Terminal)MMA1 On your departure date I will assist you in getting your boarding pass, checking in your baggage if you have any to your Carry On and straight to the aircraft without any charge am an airport Staff...
Since you are traveling to Kano,I think the airline you used is either Azman,Max Air,Arik or Airpeace
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Demmama7(m): 12:04pm On May 27, 2021
AerialMapper:
Get to the airport on time

Walk to the ticket counter and check-in your luggage (if any), our airlines are archaic so you have to follow your luggage to the baggage scanner where they'll scan it and try to extort you if you are carry certain items. Keep perfumes, creams and any liquids you do not wish to lose in you checked-in baggage. If you are traveling with only hand luggage, leave them at home.

Walk to the departure area where they'll ask you to strip, another archaic practise. Dont wear socks with holes or have smelly feet or wear oversized trousers that will fall if you take off your belt. Cos you'll take off your belt , shoes, watch. Also keep your laptop in your hand luggage and bring it out separately for scanning.

Next, you'll sit in the departure lounge and this is where you have to be very aware. The announcers speak through their nose and you can miss your flight if you do not listen carefully to every announcement. Keep a mental note of your flight number and airline before your enter Ethiopian air and find your self in Addis Ababa.

Your flight will be called and you'll queue for boarding. Nigerians love to rush to the front of the queue so they'll take up overhead bin space in the aircraft...so take note.

You'll get to the aircraft and you look for you seat using the seat number on your ticket. Sit down, put on your sear belt and relax.

On landing, as usual, nigerians will jump out of the seat to rush out of the aircraft. Dont panic, there is no fire, we are just always in a hurry.

Get off the plane, walt to the arrivals, get you check in luggage if any and make sure you still have your luggage claim slip. We have yet another archaic practice of checking luggage slips when leaving the terminal.

Enjoy!!!!!!!

Nice one boss.
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by kcowen(m): 12:04pm On May 27, 2021
CaptainZubi:
I have my ticket already. Flight slated for next week. I decided to check out the domestic airport today and see things ahead of time but everything was so confusing . I tried asking one man i met at the departure entrance and he just dey squeez face like person wey never chop. I went back home empty handed. Everything is just confusing. Entering ezenwata , God is good or chisco no get wahala reach this .

I'll be travelling to Kano, when I enter the departure door, where should I go, what should I do. Abeg help my life, I'm just confused. Just describe the whole process for me. Also when I get to my destination what next.

Also in my ticket, I can see cabin book class YW. What does it mean.

pls help.

With Regards to this,met me either at MMA2 or GAT( General Aviation Terminal)MMA1 On your departure date I will assist you in getting your boarding pass, checking in your baggage if you have any to your Carry On and straight to the aircraft without any charge am an airport Staff...
Since you are traveling to Kano,I think the airline you used is either Azman,Max Air,Arik or Airpeace

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Olibboy: 12:42pm On May 27, 2021
CaptainZubi:
I have my ticket already. Flight slated for next week. I decided to check out the domestic airport today and see things ahead of time but everything was so confusing . I tried asking one man i met at the departure entrance and he just dey squeez face like person wey never chop. I went back home empty handed. Everything is just confusing. Entering ezenwata , God is good or chisco no get wahala reach this .

I'll be travelling to Kano, when I enter the departure door, where should I go, what should I do. Abeg help my life, I'm just confused. Just describe the whole process for me. Also when I get to my destination what next.

pls help.
u for ask another person...I believe nairalanders sha
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by AerialMapper: 12:49pm On May 27, 2021
SonOfAfonja:

The bolded is not an archaic practice though...You know how people steal?

Do you see it in any modern airport?

Never seen it at Heathrow, Dubai, Frankfurt, Berlin, New York, Zurich, Vienna, Graz, Dakar, Dar Al Salam.... i can go on ..this only happens at Lagos and Abuja!!!

It is archaic, it is pointless...the last thing after a stressful flight is for people to create a bottle neck by checking luggage claim against luggage tags. Simple
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by adanny01(m): 1:04pm On May 27, 2021
CaptainZubi:

pls help.

The best thing is to arrive the airport 2hrs ahead of flight time.

Once you enter the local departure you should see check-in or ask for directions from airport staff. Every airline has a check-in desk so get to your airline's desk and present your ticket. Ask the desk officer the next place but usually you should be heading to the security scanner. Make sure you don't leave money, liquids, sharp tools and lighter/matches in your carry on bag. They will direct you or wait and observe what others do.

Watch out for that moment that your carry on bag and container where your personal items are put into the scanner. The trick is that you have to watch your things every second, else, something could get lost here like magic. Mostly the target is cash since your name is not on it incase alarm blows.

After there na to sit and wait for the announcer to call the name of you airline destination.

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by FLYFIRE(m): 1:16pm On May 27, 2021
PLEASE DONT ASK YOUR NEIGHBOUR WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU BECOME `DEAF` ON BOARD, JUST SWALLOW A SPITE grin grin grin

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by kunkelhanspeter(m): 1:31pm On May 27, 2021
Just follow other and do what they are doing
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by CelestineNelson: 2:02pm On May 27, 2021
CilicMarin:

You will be surprised that it would be easier for you to navigate your way through the airport than Good is Good motors, Ezenwata Motor Parks etc..

Make sure you arrive the airport 1 hour before departure time(Since you are flying for the first time) . Once you get to the airport departure hall, check for the booked airline stand, because you are going to be seeing: Max air, Air Peace , Dana Air cubicles inside the hall...you can also ask anybody on reflective jacket(officials) to direct you to your airline stand...

When you get there, join others on the queue for checking in..make sure, you have your ID card and booking number handy..Once checked in, you would be handed a boarding pass to enable you board your plane....and if you carry a heavy luggage, they would be also checked in...don't worry about where they are taking your bags to..be rest assured, you would see them in Kano upon arrival...

When you are done with the above, ask them to direct you to the boarding hall, where you are going to wait for announcement of your airline...listen attentively whenever any announcement is made and check your ticket if your airline is being called; You would be hearing something like: Max Air 777 Lagos to Kano boarding at exit G etc..

Now, I assume you have entered inside the plane...show any of the cabin crew members your boarding pass, he/she will direct you to your booked seat...Then wait for further announcements by the air crew including the pilot...Don't look down if you have phobia for height grin grin..and don't panic, when the plane encounters air turbulence or they would find out say you be JJC... grin Just look for newspaper and be acting as if you ve been flying all your life.. grin

On arrival in Kano, just follow fellow passengers to where you can retrieve your baggage...then hail a taxi to your hotel or destination...

Safe journey!

Thanks Man
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Stanfeelings: 3:21pm On May 27, 2021
Am i the only one reading for my own information? lol

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by rahman3853(m): 3:25pm On May 27, 2021
delpee:

The airport officials and crew of the airline are always there to guide you.

However, once you check in at the appropriate counter for your airline of choice, go to the departure lounge. You'll pass your hand luggage through a scanning machine. Don't get carried away by ambience of the lounge ( depending on the airport). Listen attentively to the announcements so that you know when your plane arrives or it's time to board.

Proceed to the designated tarmac (ask the officials at the exit door) once the plane is ready for boarding.
Don't go and enter Maiduguri plane instead of Kano. grin

You'll join a queue by the plane for your ticket to be checked before you climb the steps to enter the plane. Once you get in, the hostess will show you your seat if you're not sure. It will be nice if you get to seat by the window so you can enjoy the view. The hostess will show you how to fasten your seat belt. Hopefully, you'll be served some snacks and juice/water later.

When you get tò Kano, just follow others as they proceed to the arrival lounge where you'll collect your checked in luggage if any. You go out of the airport from there to get a cab. Though more expensive, you're safer with registered cabs in a town that you're not familiar with.

Have a safe flight and enjoyable stay in Kano

Tell us your experience after.

U Forgot to mention him stripping his waist belt and shoe to pass through metal detector. No go do van dam o. Its the norm, so that they won't see u as jjc.

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by DashDolls(m): 4:06pm On May 27, 2021
The way Nigeria is going, very soon there will be lapping in planes even standing.
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by princewarri1985: 4:24pm On May 27, 2021
Next time when you want to fly dont book your ticket ahead of time, all you have to do is to be at the airport very early in the morning the day you want to fly locally, ask for the counter of airline going to your destination, pay with your atm card and sit and keep your ears open as soon as they announce your flight then you board. Let me know if you need further information

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by tellsblinks(m): 4:45pm On May 27, 2021
CilicMarin:

Safe journey!

Chair see as e de like hollywood movie.

This plane I go enter am oh

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by tellsblinks(m): 4:45pm On May 27, 2021
princewarri1985:
Next time when you want to fly dont book your ticket ahead of time, all you have to do is to be at the airport very early in the morning the day you want to fly locally, ask for the counter of airline going to your destination, pay with your atm card and sit and keep your ears open as soon as they announce your flight then you board. Let me know if you need further information

Is this cheaper?
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by tellsblinks(m): 4:47pm On May 27, 2021
FLYFIRE:
PLEASE DONT ASK YOUR NEIGHBOUR WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU BECOME `DEAF` ON BOARD, JUST SWALLOW A SPITE grin grin grin

Seriously?? Or you're joking?

Is there a time when you're ear will just black out, like the after effect of a bomb blast
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by CilicMarin: 4:53pm On May 27, 2021
tellsblinks:

Is there a time when you're ear will just black out, like the after effect of a bomb blast

Yes ...almost all the time you are airborne...but just swallow your spit, it would come up alive again.. grin
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by tellsblinks(m): 4:55pm On May 27, 2021
CilicMarin:

Yes ...almost all the time you are airborne...but just swallow your spit, it would come up alive again.. grin

I can't wait to experience it.

This plane we go fly am one day. Amen

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Gfskw: 5:28pm On May 27, 2021
How
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by dsocioemmy(m): 10:30pm On May 27, 2021
david22uu:

na from airport they will just deport you.. drugs

Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by 99thEnemy(m): 1:10am On May 28, 2021
chatinent:
Funnily enough, while on board, when you start behaving like you know what you are doing, everyone will start knowing you are a novice.

It's magical.
i get you grin
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by spencekat(m): 10:40am On May 28, 2021
michaelpop50:

You seems to be the type that gives up in life easily. Why can't you ask these questions at the airport? You asked only one person and then you gave up.

What stopped you from asking other people at the airport?
May be he is a shy person.
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Maccoy507: 11:18am On May 28, 2021
Cool
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by princewarri1985: 4:09pm On May 28, 2021
tellsblinks:

Is this cheaper?
its not cheaper its the same price but its easier and that was how i flew from warri to lagos and i paid for the ticket with my atm and boarded about an hour later
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by emmaliver(m): 2:50am On Jul 07, 2021
Following
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by FLYFIRE(m): 4:56pm On Aug 05, 2021
tellsblinks:

YES...But just swallow a spit
Re: I'm Traveling By Air For The First Time And I Don't Know What To Do by Diffdeef(m): 10:15am On Sep 01, 2021
Just ask questions.

What Part Of Dirty Lagos Is This? (Photo) / Urhobo Students Union Vice President Burnt To Death In Bayelsa Auto Crash / Osita Chidoka's Son In The Cockpit Of An Airplane (Photos)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73