Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm (18076 Views)

US Mission Shares Photos Of Ikun Dairy Farm In Ekiti State / US Mission Shares Photos Of Ikun Dairy Farm In Ekiti State / My Cucumber Farm Dairy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by naptu2: 10:34am On May 27, 2021
A farm was handed over to a private company called Promasidor, the private company invested $5 million in reviving the farm. People were employed, equipment was bought, cows were brought in from Maiduguri and the US.

This company makes some of the most popular milk brands in Nigeria (Cowbell and Loya Milk).

Yet, a definition of ignorance says that the government spent $5 million to import cows from the US!!

KAI! NAIRALAND!

7 Likes

Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by Nobody: 10:34am On May 27, 2021
Check out how much a cow cost in US and how much it costs to airfreight an animal by living weight and you will get your numbers.
I take my time to research before I post on any topic, do you?
On average, a cow will produce six to seven gallons of milk each day.

"What do cows eat? A cow that is milking eats about 100 pounds each day of feed, which is a combination of hay, grain, silage and proteins (such as soybean meal), plus vitamins and minerals. " (Google)

Now imagine again how this can be profitable. It is obvious that the Governor didn't consult with independent consultants on this, some people came and made a proposal to him and he fell for it. They are just businessmen!!

Nigeria presently has 20,000,000 (Twenty Million) indigenous cows.
Averagely our milking cows produce about 2 litres per day, compared to some of California's cows that produce between 20-68 liters depending on the season.

When will we be able to get anything tangible from these 500 imported cows? It's not just economically viable and mark this post, come back in a couple of years and the whole thing will be abandoned by the next Governor.

Fayemi and co would have made their money and gone though.

Image123:

In your words, you said "$5,000,000 (Five million dollars) spent on importing 500 cows alone". Nothing of such is stated or implied in the links you posted.
Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by naptu2: 10:37am On May 27, 2021
naptu2:
A farm was handed over to a private company called Promasidor, the private company invested $5 million in reviving the farm. People were employed, equipment was bought, cows were brought in from Maiduguri and the US.

This company makes some of the most popular milk brands in Nigeria (Cowbell and Loya Milk).

Yet, a definition of ignorance says that the government spent $5 million to import cows from the US!!

KAI! NAIRALAND!

Anyway, people have the right to state their views, no matter how silly they are.

1 Like

Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by poiZon: 10:49am On May 27, 2021
bunto:
undecided I wonder how long it will take this farm to generate the $5,000,000 (Five million dollars) spent on importing 500 cows alone, not to talk of the other costs of setup.

Nigerian leaders scamming the people since forever. How much Milk will they generate to cough out even a fraction of the investment?

Our leaders will NEVER support enterprenuers, always dabbling into businesses that they know nothing about.
Governments all over the world have since stopped dabbling into business because government is terrible at it. OBJ sold off most of Nigeria's business ventures (another story grin) , only for our foolish governors to start embarking on enterprise creation within their states.

We need a national policy in this country. Without a united (national policy) framework for development, we will continue to take one step forward, ten steps backwards.

These are some of the reasons the country is not moving forward, no synchronized plan from LG, to States and even federal government. All the ministries have their own websites and even many websites within one ministry.
It's like have a father and mother not having cohesive plan on how to raise their kids, types of education, the future....? There will be chaos everywhere.

Yes i agree govt dont have any business doing business but dont u think its govt business to lead and show those who think it isnt possible to do some certain business?
Everyday billions are being wasted and stolen by govt officials, these monies r diverted to foreign countries with no value to us that owns these funds.. Is it not better if they atleast use these monies to establish businesses no matter how small which inturn will lift sizeable number of people off the streets...
Imagine all the billions looted by our politicians, 10percent of it is being used in establishing these kind of ventures, by now more people will be off the streets.
Don't forget politicians will still loot, they will still launder those looted funds one way or the other to other countries... So it is better the govt makes inroad into some businesses so as to enable other business minded fellows to join.

2 Likes

Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by Nobody: 11:05am On May 27, 2021
I am worried that we have accepted the bolded! That's very scary embarassed
poiZon:

Yes i agree govt dont have any business doing business but dont u think its govt business to lead and show those who think it isnt possible to do some certain business?
Everyday billions are being wasted and stolen by govt officials, these monies r diverted to foreign countries with no value to us that owns these funds.. Is it not better if they atleast use these monies to establish businesses no matter how small which inturn will lift sizeable number of people off the streets...
Imagine all the billions looted by our politicians, 10percent of it is being used in establishing these kind of ventures, by now more people will be off the streets.
Don't forget politicians will still loot, they will still launder those looted funds one way or the other to other countries... So it is better the govt makes inroad into some businesses so as to enable other business minded fellows to join.
Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by Image123(m): 11:06am On May 27, 2021
bunto:
Check out how much a cow cost in US and how much it costs to airfreight an animal by living weight and you will get your numbers.
I take my time to research before I post on any topic, do you?
On average, a cow will produce six to seven gallons of milk each day.

"What do cows eat? A cow that is milking eats about 100 pounds each day of feed, which is a combination of hay, grain, silage and proteins (such as soybean meal), plus vitamins and minerals. " (Google)

Now imagine again how this can be profitable. It is obvious that the Governor didn't consult with independent consultants on this, some people came and made a proposal to him and he fell for it. They are just businessmen!!

Nigeria presently has 20,000,000 (Twenty Million) indigenous cows.
Averagely our milking cows produce about 2 litres per day, compared to some of California's cows that produce between 20-68 liters depending on the season.

When will we be able to get anything tangible from these 500 imported cows? It's not just economically viable and mark this post, come back in a couple of years and the whole thing will be abandoned by the next Governor.

Fayemi and co would have made their money and gone though.

You may have a problem with the business, the government, the political party or whatever, that's your business. What i said is clear, there is nothing to show what you stated as a FACT. You said "$5,000,000 (Five million dollars) spent on importing 500 cows alone". There is no validation for this statement.

1 Like

Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by omolola100(f): 11:19am On May 27, 2021
luminouz:

Lola babe?
Been so long!!! How u doing?
I'm not so familiar with ikun...just ijero axis...
i'm doing great sir... ikun is under moba local govt.....
Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by dangwarmai(m): 2:24pm On May 27, 2021
They pursued Fulani and they want to become Fulani.

Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by pacespot(m): 2:45pm On May 27, 2021
Fulani's hersmen can go to hell with their bloodthirsty cattles, this is how modern animal husbandry is done, you only bring the cattles out when needed the sun energy, and you graze them within the compound of your ranch.
Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by IamAsiri: 3:06pm On May 27, 2021
dangwarmai:
They pursued Fulani and they want to become Fulani.

Really? You mean no one else has the right to set up a ranching system? Ignorance of the highest level.

2 Likes

Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by poiZon: 5:19pm On May 27, 2021
bunto:
I am worried that we have accepted the bolded! That's very scary embarassed
My brodah they will still be looting, mismanagement of funds....
Unless something drastic is done to deter people from such.
Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by kafeii123: 7:50pm On May 27, 2021
naptu2:
May 14, 2020

https://twitter.com/AO1379/status/1260894953695334401

Chief...are you from the area? ....
Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by coatofwealth(m): 1:28pm On Aug 11, 2021
Op! Is the farm now producing milk?

If YES, can IT students find placement in the factory?

Thanks and Weldone for the updates
Re: An Overview Of Ekiti State's Ikun Dairy Farm by bizzibodi(m): 7:04pm On Oct 24, 2021
El rufai & other northern governors will not see this ooo!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2015 Songhai Farm Agribusiness Training, Porto-novo, Benin Republic / Construction Of My 1000 Broiler Pen Capacity / The Plight Of Ginger Farmers In Southern Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.