Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,060 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

What Is The Place Of Nigeria With GM Foods? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Place Of Nigeria With GM Foods? (1087 Views)

NAFDAC Hits Guinness Nigeria With One Billion Naira Fine / Edo Can Feed Nigeria With Rice — Oshiomhole / Mallam Sales Vulture In Place Of Roasted Chicken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Place Of Nigeria With GM Foods? by redsun(m): 1:30pm On Apr 30, 2011
What measures are in place to ascertain that imported foods into nigeria are not Genetically Modified?

Are nigerian willing to eat the controversial GM food or are they unknowingly eating it?

The rising rate of cancer in nigeria these days that was more or less none existent or minimal five ten years ago could be down to all the poisons nigerians eat from processed,unchecked and genetically altered imported foods.
Re: What Is The Place Of Nigeria With GM Foods? by MissyB3(f): 10:18pm On Apr 30, 2011
Hmm. . . . Wrote a thesis on this few months ago.

redsun:

What measures are in place to ascertain that imported foods into nigeria are not Genetically Modified?
Consumers  should demand mandatory labelling.

redsun:

Are nigerian willing to eat the controversial GM food or are they unknowingly eating it?
They most likely are eating it already and I think only a minute percentage know about GMF/O

If I'm not wrong, there are no proven disadvantages of it on human health, yet. I'd say people should stay off it until it's proven that GMF/O is or isn't harmful to human health.
Re: What Is The Place Of Nigeria With GM Foods? by redsun(m): 12:59am On May 01, 2011
Missy ★ B:

Hmm. . . . Wrote a thesis on this few months ago.
Consumers  should demand mandatory labelling.
They most likely are eating it already and I think only a minute percentage know about GMF/O

If I'm not wrong, there are no proven disadvantages of it on human health, yet. I'd say people should stay off it until it's proven that GMF/O is or isn't harmful to human health.

With the way europeans are zealously refusing to have it in their menu,i think there is cynical about it.

Of course it natural.It is same way they are overlooking the dangers of pesticide on food,telling people they are safe,but someone with common sense knows they are dangerous and hazardous to health,that is why the rich and the not very rich with insights hardly eat them,they do organic.
Re: What Is The Place Of Nigeria With GM Foods? by IdiAmin2(m): 6:10am On May 04, 2011
I think a lot of Nigerians don't just know about GM foods. I work for a medical assistance company here in London, we have Shell, ExxonMobil and Nigeria LNG as clients. The rate at which their staffs and wives of their staffs travel to london for different cancer treatment is alarming.

I also think Oyinbo made food is seen as 'posh' in Nigeria. instead of buying food from farmers back home, you will see them at London Heathrow with 5 suitcases filled with processed, packaged foods that obviously contain GM components, and they go home posing with foreign food.
Re: What Is The Place Of Nigeria With GM Foods? by MyJoe: 6:24pm On May 04, 2011
Missy ★ B:

You are not wrong. The American government insists it is okay to eat them and this is not something they are producing and dumping on poor third worlders. Those championing GM foods are eating them and feeding them to their children. There are probably no harm to eating GM foods. The Europeans, who are at the forefront of opposition to them, don't have any proofs they are harmful, but they can afford the luxury of rejecting them. Not everyone can. At the rate the world's population is growing it is only a matter of time before they are is universally accepted, particularly with increases in global warming-inspired droughts in Africa and other places.

Idi-Amin:

I also think Oyinbo made food is seen as 'posh' in Nigeria. instead of buying food from farmers back home, you will see them at London Heathrow with 5 suitcases filled with processed, packaged foods that obviously contain GM components, and they go home posing with foreign food.
Right. Our people now buy imported fruits from the supermarkets rather than go to our farmers. Go to Lagos and see how people queue up at Shoprite to buy bloodless chicken imported from South Africa, rather than fresh chickens sold all over the place.

@op
I don't know how much Nigerians know about GMOs. Back in 2002, it became a hot issue in Southern Africa when those countries were suffering from drought and famine and refused to accept American food aid which were based on GMOs. They feared having their seed banks contaminated which would prevent them from exporting food to EU countries. I doubt Nigeria exports food to EU countries, so GM food may slip into Nigeria without anyone bothering, particularly if the government has no policy in place. I doubt they do.

And I think it would be too hasty to attribute the rising cases of cancer to GM food.

(1) (Reply)

Soybean Oil Processing Is Good Business / Pepsi Hiv Story Is Fake News / Na Different Colours Of Rice De Rush Me Nw

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.