Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,800 members, 7,851,697 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:46 AM

Only A Drunken Sailors Would Buy A Car Before A House - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Only A Drunken Sailors Would Buy A Car Before A House (382 Views)

How To Build A House In Nigeria / Petrol Kept In A House Burns In Oworonshoki, Lagos (Photos) / Where Should A Man Build A House First: Village Or Township? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only A Drunken Sailors Would Buy A Car Before A House by laiperi: 7:29am On May 29, 2021
My favorite part of this article is that any rational person would buy a car before buying a house. Could that be Nigeria?

However we worked hard on weekdays and partied hard on weekends, it was the days of sane climes. Modest Youth would wish for today. So, Bobby’s cohort questioned the rationale of buying such an expensive and luxurious car without his own house or land. Jaguar has always been an expensive car. Call their owners playboys or whatever you want, the communities were sane with a high sense of morality of what comes first. Business before pleasure. A song was composed to discourage such aberration:

Bobby Ra Moto Ko Ra'le (house)
Bobby Ra Moto Ko Ra'le (land)
Kosi Omo'ale To Ju Bobby Lo!

Haba! It was a bit harsh to label anyone the "son of a gun" for buying a car before a house in those modest and sane days. But the point was made. What we have now is far worse: branding, conspicuous display of ill-gotten wealth, foreign currency rain, ostentatious “gifted” for social media. They have replaced private ceremonies among friends and families. It is difficult to see aberrations in the same country while those old enough or know better, watch.

https://www.thenigerianvoice.com/news/299029/owoboriomo-created-abject-poverty-from-oil-income-windfall.html
Re: Only A Drunken Sailors Would Buy A Car Before A House by OsusTroller: 7:37am On May 29, 2021
[s]
laiperi:
My favorite part of this article is that any rational person would buy a car before buying a house. Could that be Nigeria?

https://www.thenigerianvoice.com/news/299029/owoboriomo-created-abject-poverty-from-oil-income-windfall.html
[/s]
It's stupîd to have this mentality and to generalize like this.
Buying a car before a land or a house is not wasteful.
Somehow, a car can be an asset and a necessity sometimes if you know what you're doing and you have a good need for it.
I bought a car before a land and I'm currently developing a house on it.

If you live in Lagos for example with your family, let's say you, your wife and 2-3 kids, will not having a car because you want to have a house first reasonable?

How can I continue to suffer, have my wife and kids take public transports and okada around when I can afford a car?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only A Drunken Sailors Would Buy A Car Before A House by Kriss216: 7:41am On May 29, 2021
A sailor without a ship na jonsing sailor.

1 Like

Re: Only A Drunken Sailors Would Buy A Car Before A House by battymann: 7:44am On May 29, 2021
This write-up has no definite direction.
Sane humans buy car when they need one.
Not when they've got a house of their own.
Re: Only A Drunken Sailors Would Buy A Car Before A House by SportsHD: 9:27am On May 29, 2021
Stupid generalisation.
In other words; poor man, poor sense.
Re: Only A Drunken Sailors Would Buy A Car Before A House by laiperi: 1:35pm On May 29, 2021
Let me first drag you out of ignorance and support your point at the same time.

The writer was on old norm and the difference between an asset like a house that appreciate and a show off luxury car that depreciate.

Of course in today's tight schedule, you need a basic car to make money, take your family to school and work. Not a luxury car!

In that case a car becomes an asset. Indeed, you need that basic or used car to pave the way in order to build your house.

Do you need a Rose Royce, Cadillac or Jaguar to get to work? Please use some common sense.

In the days the writer was referring to, Volkswagen beetle was the first car and pride of youth with girls running after you for a ride!

Sisi come ride my Volks.

What is the wish of first car for Youths today?

Benz! Even without a job not to mention a house. You should have read the article if you did not understand the quote.

OsusTroller:
[s][/s]
It's stupîd to have this mentality and to generalize like this.
Buying a car before a land or a house is not wasteful.
Somehow, a car can be an asset and a necessity sometimes if you know what you're doing and you have a good need for it.
I bought a car before a land and I'm currently developing a house on it.

If you live in Lagos for example with your family, let's say you, your wife and 2-3 kids, will not having a car because you want to have a house first reasonable?

How can I continue to suffer, have my wife and kids take public transports and okada around when I can afford a car?
Re: Only A Drunken Sailors Would Buy A Car Before A House by OsusTroller: 1:43pm On May 29, 2021
laiperi:
Let me first drag you out of ignorance and support your point at the same time.

The writer was on old norm and the difference between an asset like a house that appreciate and a show off luxury car that depreciate.

Of course in today's tight schedule, you need a basic car to make money, take your family to school and work. Not a luxury car!

In that case a car becomes an asset. Indeed, you need that basic or used car to pave the way in order to build your house.

Do you need a Rose Royce, Cadillac or Jaguar to get to work? Please use some common sense.

In the days the writer was referring to, Volkswagen beetle was the first car and pride of youth with girls running after you for a ride!

Sisi come ride my Volks.

What is the wish of first car for Youths today?

Benz! Even without a job not to mention a house. You should have read the article if you did not understand the quote.

If you're not mentally unstable or in a vegetative state, you'd see clearly that OP didn't talk about car types persay. He or she was just trying to give relevance to a land or a house over a car.
Re: Only A Drunken Sailors Would Buy A Car Before A House by laiperi: 2:07pm On May 29, 2021
Obviously you cannot read.

No more attention from me. Deal with your types.

OsusTroller:

If you're not mentally unstable or in a vegetative state, you'd see clearly that OP didn't talk about car types persay. He or she was just trying to give relevance to a land or a house over a car.

(1) (Reply)

HAVE A LONG-TERM INVESTMENT PLAN.....HELP CURB ACCOMMODATION ISSUES IN NIGERIA. / Own A House In Abuja - Buy Now And Pay Installmentally / Does A Man Need His Wife's Consent To Sell His Landed Property

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.