Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? (10238 Views)

Reno Omokri Interviews Lincoln Brewster: I Gave My Life To Christ At 19 / Adeboye, Olukoya, Oyedepo, Oritsajafor, Listen To Christ Warning & Amend Ur Way / Giving Your Wedding Night To God As A First Fruit Of Marriage? - No Intimacy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by blugirl: 10:08pm On May 01, 2011
sad
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by r231(m): 10:11pm On May 01, 2011
since i have to be born again before advising you. . . . . . well BRB

in the main time ask God for now cus i dont think there is any born again here grin grin
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by wetu: 11:50pm On May 02, 2011
It's a hard one, I know a lady who became born again and was on and off with her boyfriend for three or four years until eventually she became pregnant. I don't know your boyfriend, but if he is like most guys, he will be looking to get you to sleep with him.

Besides the risk of sleeping with him, if you have really given your life to Christ, you need to give your whole life to Christ:

Luk 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

I don't know in which Church you became born again and what you were told about being born again, but being born again is not as easy as it is made out to be. It's not about "giving your life to Christ" and continue living the same way:

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

I would advice you to keep a distance and eventually break up with him if he doesn't break up with you first. If you are meant to be with this person (marriage is the only aim in a godly relationship), things will work around for good that you will get back together. As a Christian your aim should be to know and to do the will of God:
Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by seyibrown(f): 1:31am On May 03, 2011
If staying in the relationship will mean that you will be fornicating with him, then you need to break up with him, and not enter into any other relationships that will lead you into fornication. You will need a partner who understands and agrees to 'flee fornication'!
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by paris10: 1:42am On May 03, 2011
wetu:

It's a hard one, I know a lady who became born again and was on and off with her boyfriend for three or four years until eventually she became pregnant. I don't know your boyfriend, but if he is like most guys, he will be looking to get you to sleep with him.  

Besides the risk of sleeping with him, if you have really given your life to Christ, you need to give your whole life to Christ:

Luk 14:26  If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:27  And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:28  For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?

I don't know in which Church you became born again and what you were told about being born again, but being born again is not as easy as it is made out to be. It's not about "giving your life to Christ" and continue living the same way:

2Co 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
2Co 5:18  And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

I would advice you to keep a distance and eventually break up with him if he doesn't break up with you first. If you are meant to be with this person (marriage is the only aim in a godly relationship), things will work around for good that you will get back together. As a Christian your aim should be to know and to do the will of God:
Rom 12:1  I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

I can vividly see how ignorant and overly religious you've become. You are not just a bad adviser, you're the worst adviser ever!.  You guys would come up with your Pastors suggestions and back it up with out of context scriptural verses.

When did giving your life to Christ becomes giving your love away? Christ is love, and your boyfriend should also be part of the love. If he loves you, he will love Jesus. We are in a world of civilization where people can pro-actively use initiative and common sense to decide their future by being reasonable and following their God given conscience to love God and be in love too.

So because I'm born again I should leave the person I love behind abi? Brother Paul was saying what you've written above to some particular set of people because those people weren't that educated about the things of God. Now we know God. We know God loves us. HE loves us unconditionally, not because we're holly or righteous (our righteousness is like a filthy rag before HIM), but because HE has pre-destined to love us regardless of our sin.

@poster, if you still want your man, talk to him about your new found love and let both of you be committed to God and to yourselves. Regarding the fear of sleeping with him, as you both grow in the Lord, the thought of that will slowly and gradually disappear from your thought.

But mind you, being born again does not automatically stops you from fallen into temptation, it increases the chances. But the Bible says " There is no temptation taken you, but such as is common to men, but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted above that you are able to bear, but will surely provide a way of escape, " (1 Corinth 10:13)

Enjoy Christ and God will bless your relationship with your boyfriend.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by wetu: 9:17am On May 03, 2011
Hey Paris10, post your own advice without attacking me. Who told you that I got this from a Pastor? I'm a Christian, and talking from experience. From which experience are you talking? Are you a Christian? If you are, this is what the Word of God says about you:

Isa 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Isa 5:21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

Blu-girl, click on paris10's name and click on "show last 10 posts of this person". Decide for yourself if you will be taking Christian advice from someone who talks this this:

I didn't mention any Nigerian celebrity because they're all money mongers and base their relationship bulls**t on money

I guess not! This is it. Guys always imagine someone else's d*ickk penetrating the hole he calls safe haven. In doing this, they find it irritating and somewhat disgusting to want to do that babe again.

What is wrong with Christians? Not every one belong to this faith you know. Virtually every topic raised on this forum always end up being Christianize.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by wetu: 9:32am On May 03, 2011
I have to apologize for posting the above in blue, but I just felt that I needed to expose paris10 for the wolf in sheep's clothing that he is.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by tpia5: 11:04am On May 03, 2011
It depends.

If he's going to hinder your faith, then you might have to. If he were your husband then that's different.

Men typically have no problem breaking up with their girlfriends when in a similar situation. Its usually the women who hesitate and dilly dally when they're the ones making the decision.

In a way, its understandable due to the scarcity of good men, but at the same time you have to avoid what could lead you astray.

Another question is: how old are you. Not meant to be offensive,but if you're say over 33 then you might have to stick with your boyfriend unless you have a very strong mind.

Anyway, pray over it before making a decision.

Pray by yourself that is.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by tpia5: 11:06am On May 03, 2011
Btw, if he's the juju type and you want to give that up as well, please run as fast as your legs will carry you.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by Joagbaje(m): 2:02pm On May 03, 2011
blu-girl:

Please i really need your answers on this.I've been dating this guy for a year now but i recently got born again.Should i continue but set certain boundaries or shouid i just end it all?God bless you as you reply.P.S:RESPONSES SHOULD BE FROM MATURE BORN AGAIN CHRISTIANS ONLY.Thanks.
The word of Gid is our great counsel.

2 Corinthians 6:14-17
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Verse 17 gives a clear instruction on what to do
. . . ,17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by Azibalua(f): 2:51pm On May 03, 2011
For you to ask this I assume your boy friend is not born again

Okay then I think you should run for your life considering that of you go ahead with the relationship and then eventually marry this guy you will be making the devil your father in law.

The reason being that immediately you gave your heart to christ you became a new person born of godly seed,this too will happen to your boyfriend if he gives his heart to christ, As Christians we cannot have such relations anymore with unbelievers

2 Corinthians 6:14-17
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by Azibalua(f): 2:57pm On May 03, 2011
tpia@:

It depends.

If he's going to hinder your faith, then you might have to. If he were your husband then that's different.

Men typically have no problem breaking up with their girlfriends when in a similar situation. Its usually the women who hesitate and dilly dally when they're the ones making the decision.

In a way, its understandable due to the scarcity of good men, but at the same time you have to avoid what could lead you astray.

Another question is: how old are you. Not meant to be offensive,but if you're say over 33 then you might have to stick

with your boyfriend unless you have a very strong mind.

Anyway, pray over it before making a decision.

Pray by yourself that is.

Even if you are over forty and intend to get married the right thing for you will be to stick to the word of god, you should not have an unbeliever as a choice for a life partner. This is not right. And also a lady does not give herself to a man it's wrong,
God knows what's best for you and it's all scripted in the word,why not get to the word and find out what it says , also get to the pastor of your local assembly he will elighten you more.

Also the idea that men are scarce is definitely not true,people get married every day to godly men.
Where are they comming from? The moon?
Definitely not
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by goodvine: 4:00pm On May 03, 2011
the response I read from some contributors in this forum is quite amazing. It's obvious that some people here are not born again, hence they tend to darken counsel by word without knowledge. Anyone who is genuinely born again knows that whosoever is born of God does not commit sin and whosoever comits sin is on the devil (1 Jn 3:8-10). Apostle John says, in this the children of God are manifest and the children of the devil.

If you are not sure of what counsel to give, it is better you keep quite rather than misleading a young convert back to the way of hell? Where in the bible did you read that a christian can live in fornication and get to heaven? if you read 1 Cor. 6:9-11, the first category of people who will not get to heaven are fornicators. Can we change the word of God to suit our sinful live style? shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid. A born again christian is dead to sin, you can't live in the sins you have already confessed, else the scripture says such a person is like a dog, after vomitting goes back to eat its vomit. A christian is not a sinner and a sinner is not a christian.

This convert should brake up from the old sinful relationship now that she is born again. the scripture says flee fornication because every other sin that a man comit is outside the body, but he that comits fornication destroys his/her own soul. It's very dangerous to continue in a sinful relationship after we claim to have repented and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour.
c
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by OgaMadam(f): 4:27pm On May 03, 2011
I think the hardest thing about the Church today, is the control.

Yes there is a corporate side to the church and we must be obedient and in line.

But there are other things that are only between you and your God.

This man who you are planning to reject, what if he is your soul mate?

Will your pastor tell you that, or you, or even your parents.

NO.

Seek Him in prayer and make your decisions from there.

Thanks
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by tpia5: 2:33pm On May 04, 2011
Azibalua:

Even if you are over forty and intend to get married the right thing for you will be to stick to the word of god, you should not have an unbeliever as a choice for a life partner. This is not right. And also a lady does not give herself to a man it's wrong,
God knows what's best for you and it's all scripted in the word,why not get to the word and find out what it says , also get to the pastor of your local assembly he will elighten you more.

true but we still have to avoid a situation where people will blame the church for someone not being married.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by Andrearose(f): 9:29pm On May 04, 2011
Have you asked him to church- is he willing to Go?
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by Andrearose(f): 9:35pm On May 04, 2011
Does he respect your beliefs- does he listen. If he does and he will come to church, then maybe he will become a Christian very quickly. If he is open, then there is hope for you in the relationship, and if not it is best to end it.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by Natasha2(f): 9:39pm On May 04, 2011
lolz I did that once  grin grin grin grin grin grin anyway it depends what has he done to warrant a break up is he a sinner like his he willing to change or not. Breaking up with him its not the best  how about trying to lead him to God just as you have done yourself. undecided
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by Andrearose(f): 9:43pm On May 04, 2011
NB. If he is the one for you, he will be born again very quickly. I have known this to happen and be the case. If not, and you let it run, your heart will be broken most surely.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by Natasha2(f): 9:54pm On May 04, 2011
lols true to some extent but you see to get born again no be beans oh he might truly love her but then again might get scared because of the born again thingny although if he's a nice guy I think she should give him a chance if she sees he doesn't want to change then she can break up.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by nuella2(f): 1:13pm On May 05, 2011
If you marry an unbeliever you have made the devil your in-law. He will always come for visitation.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by blugirl: 5:07pm On May 07, 2011
cry undecided
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by Nobody: 9:16am On May 09, 2011
so when u see the light u run from those in darkness? or u help them see the truth? tell ur bf that you have given ur life to Christ as such you can no longer continue to be carnal i.e have sex and watever isnt right with God that u used to do then share with him the lovely word of God in a nice way try not to be critical of him. He may want to leave you after this and who knws you might just be able to lead him to Christ but remember one of your fundamental duties is to spread the good word especially at the risk of being laughed at. Your bf is a good starting point.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by manmustwac(m): 6:35pm On May 09, 2011
blu-girl:

Thanks a lot guys for your replies.So many contrary opinions.I'll pray harder about it and i know the Lord will see me through. cry undecided
your just fooling yourself am sure if the guy got a job paying 100'000'00 naira a month tomorrw or won american visa lottery your prayers will defineately convince you to stay with him.
Re: Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? by tpia5: 2:55am On May 10, 2011
well, true i'm not sure what there is to pray about, really.

(1) (Reply)

Before,immediately Or After Faith? Wen Do U Receive The Gift Of The Holy Spirit? / Long Church Service: Good Or Bad? / How To Secure The Help Of God As A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.