Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,353 members, 7,822,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" (1703 Views)

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale / African Mentality 101- Five Unhealthy African Behaviour... / How Do You Deal With This African Mentality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by xynerise: 2:04pm On May 02, 2011
Wrong place to post it though. grin. In the western world it is nothing but not in Nigeria. grin
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by InkedNerd(f): 2:05pm On May 02, 2011
I don't feel anyhow. All I'd say is that I'm fine undecided
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by Nobody: 2:06pm On May 02, 2011
Sweetheart if you are bore, you can meet me in my bedroom. (jokes)

Stop posting meaningless topics all over nairaland tongue
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by xynerise: 2:16pm On May 02, 2011
^ rokiatu. No be lie sha, I dey bored. undecided. Can I come with condom along? grin
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by MrsChima(f): 2:18pm On May 02, 2011
LMAO@ how are you meaning NOTHING IN THE WESTERN WORLD. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

How are you, Inky?
How are you, Rokiatu?
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by 190: 2:22pm On May 02, 2011
Yes thats cos those in the western world were nutured with no cultural or damn up-bringing

But african's are more nutured and cultured and respectful towards em-selves

A westernized boy could just walk up to his dad and say, hey dad fu[i]c[/i]k u

SMH undecided!
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by xynerise: 2:24pm On May 02, 2011
@inked. If a child sees you on the way and ask you how are you instead of the normal "GOOD MORNING" you no go knock am for head? grin
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by 190: 2:25pm On May 02, 2011
ROTFLMFAO!!
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by MrsChima(f): 2:27pm On May 02, 2011
[size=44pt]LMAO@bait grin grin grin grin grin grin[/size]
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by Nobody: 2:43pm On May 02, 2011
grin grin
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by MrsChima(f): 2:49pm On May 02, 2011
Sorry! That shit was funny! I am willing to bet none of them have America embarked logo on passports.

I am still LMAO@ How are you mean nothing in the West. Seriously, where is that RIP emoticon?

Rokiatu comes up with some funny arse laughing graphics especially the one with the dog hitting the little girl on the head.

OOoh lawd! (wiping tears)
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by Nobody: 2:54pm On May 02, 2011
Mrs.Chima:

Rokiatu comes up with some funny arse laughing graphics especially the one with the dog hitting the little girl on the head.

OOoh lawd! (wiping tears)
You mean this? grin grin grin

Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by Godmother(f): 2:59pm On May 02, 2011
To me, it depends on how its said. You know some people have this way of saying it and you know they are not really asking for your health but trying to pull their age over you or be disrectful.

Other than that, if the person says it with a clear mind, its nothing to me
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by rhymz(m): 3:26pm On May 02, 2011
It will depend on the tone with which it was said. If sounds condescending, he or she can be sure to get a hot slap to remind her that my beards and deep voice have come off age. However, if it is said out of innocence i may not mind the first time but if it continues like that, she gets the treatment too, no kidding.
I dont even entertain a younger person addressing me as "My Dear". . . .I find it a little condescending too. My Dear unto which lvls na, na Me dey yansh u or wat?
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by CrudeOil1(m): 3:55pm On May 02, 2011
Nothing. What's wrong with saying that?
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by esteduca(m): 4:05pm On May 02, 2011
rhymz:

It will depend on the tone with which it was said. If sounds condescending, he or she can be sure to get a hot slap to remind her that my beards and deep voice have come off age. However, if it is said out of innocence i may not mind the first time but if it continues like that, she gets the treatment too, no kidding.
I dont even entertain a younger person addressing me as "My Dear". . . .I find it a little condescending too. My Dear unto which lvls na, na Me dey yansh u or wat?

You could do a great service to us foreinarialanders by explain the concept at the base of this. Thank you!
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by rhymz(m): 5:51pm On May 02, 2011
esteduca:

You could do a great service to us foreinarialanders by explain the concept at the base of this. Thank you!
Well, I want to assume that you are italian and as such a european. I am an African to the core with cultural idiosyncrasies and tradition entirely different from that of a european or an American. I can easily understand in thesame breath if my 15yr old cousins living in the US and UK greet me like that or even call me by my name without any of the prefixes(uncle, aunty, brother etc, ) that our culture demands a younger person use when addressing a senior one. However, it will be condescending and presumptuous of any young person who was born and raised in Nigeria and knowing the cultural affinity that is attached to this african or will I say Nigerian Etiquette to look in the face of an elderly person and get so brazenly casual to the point of addressing he or she like that.
I mean, for God sake if the kid understands the implications of such greetings and goes ahead to do so, it removes any doubt that he/she is not trying to be insulting or condescending.
And pls dont even start with any lecture to prove otherwise cos that in it self will only make you come across as trying to be disrespectful to my own cultural creed and traditional values.likewise, It will be folly of me to argue against european customs or traditions that I may not neccessarily like; one man's meat is another man's poison.
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by 190: 6:12pm On May 02, 2011
rhymz:

Well, I want to assume you are italian and as such a european. I am an African with cultural idiosyncrasies and tradition entirely different from a that of a european or an American, I can easily understand in thesame breath if my 15yr old cousins living in the US and UK greet me like that or even call me by my name without any of the prefixes(uncle, aunty, brother etc, ) that our culture demands a younger person use when addressing a senior one. However, it will be condescending and presumptuous of any young person who was born and raised in Nigeria and knowing the cultural affinity that is attached to this african or will I say Nigerian Etiquette to look in the face of an elderly person get so casual to the point of addressing he or she like that.
I mean, for God sake if the kid understands the implication of such greetings and goes ahead to do so, it removes any doubt that he/she is not trying to be insulting or condescending.
And pls dont even start with any lecture to prove otherwise cos that in it self will only make you come across as trying ti be disrespectful to my own cultural creed and traditional values.

You have spoken well my son cool cool
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by BABE3: 6:13pm On May 02, 2011
Junior asks me how am I? I'll say I'm fine now!

I don't even expect my juniors to add "sister" or "aunty" before my name.--lol--That sh1t is embarrassing!

Well, for now at least.  undecided
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by BloodShed1: 6:18pm On May 02, 2011
I can't even understand how someone can be offended by "how are you?". There's nothing offensive in that whatsoever. I say that when I greet my elders all the time. BECAUSE I REALLY CARE!!!

Dunno, maybe its a Yoruba thing. They take this culture thing to ridiculous levels lol
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by Nobody: 6:22pm On May 02, 2011
Oh? They're supposed to get offended? Okay, I won't ask anymore. I don't like small talk anyway.
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by lepasharon(f): 7:12pm On May 02, 2011
i find it rude nd patronizing!
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 02, 2011
"I'm fine thank you and yourself?" cheesy

Geez people. It's called civility, even if it were from a 7 year old.
If along the course of the light conversation they start making it obvious that their trying to match you as your mate, then you send them away.
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by Nobody: 7:54pm On May 02, 2011
2buff:

"I'm fine thank you and yourself?" cheesy

Geez people. It's called civility, even if it were from a 7 year old.
If along the course of the light conversation they start making it obvious that their trying to match you as your mate, then you send them away.

Thank you. Nigerians sometimes. They want to be treated one way and tend to act the opposite lol. I don taya oooo.
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by mapist(m): 8:58pm On May 02, 2011
s
lepasharon:

i find it rude nd patronizing!
sup?i read ur posts and read ur comments abt "isoko" pple.wats up wth us?well,im michael and my email is on my profile.u can add me on fb.my pin is 227b7a98.add me if u av gat one or betastl,08062970292.tk cre,"lepa".
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by andy1(m): 9:16pm On May 02, 2011
rhymz:

Well, I want to assume that you are italian and as such a european. I am an African to the core with cultural idiosyncrasies and tradition entirely different from that of a european or an American. I can easily understand in thesame breath if my 15yr old cousins living in the US and UK greet me like that or even call me by my name without any of the prefixes(uncle, aunty, brother etc, ) that our culture demands a younger person use when addressing a senior one. However, it will be condescending and presumptuous of any young person who was born and raised in Nigeria and knowing the cultural affinity that is attached to this african or will I say Nigerian Etiquette to look in the face of an elderly person and get so brazenly casual to the point of addressing he or she like that.
I mean, for God sake if the kid understands the implications of such greetings and goes ahead to do so, it removes any doubt that he/she is not trying to be insulting or condescending.
And pls dont even start with any lecture to prove otherwise cos that in it self will only make you come across as trying to be disrespectful to my own cultural creed and traditional values.likewise, It will be folly of me to argue against european customs or traditions that I may not neccessarily like; one man's meat is another man's poison.
well said bro!
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 02, 2011
rhymz:

That's the thing. They don't teach the language yet they later become shamed and angry. "Why can't my child speak the language?" Kids here are extremely casual. I think the only thing I can give credit to them for is for teaching children not to use left hand lol.

I was watching a video on Jaguda.com the other day. "Should Nigerians Marry Nigerians?" Elders, parents, etc, were screaming "YES! BECAUSE OF OUR CULTURE! NO ONE SAYS 'GOOD MORNING MA' ANYMORE!" They don't teach anything but expect everything to fall into place on its own. That's why Nigerian tradition is slipping. Not that I mind, but we don't know how to maintain anything, whether it be culture or buildings lol. If Nigerians in Nigeria cannot speak their native languages, who will speak it for us? Mongolians?
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by InkedNerd(f): 5:20pm On May 03, 2011
xynerise:

@inked. If a child sees you on the way and ask you how are you instead of the normal "GOOD MORNING" you no go knock am for head? grin

Why the hell would I knock the child on their head? They're not my child, siblings, cousins, or any other relative. . . Even if they were, what would warrent me to do such a thing? Smh, I hope that's not how you treat people undecided
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by xynerise: 6:17pm On May 03, 2011
^If you are a nigerian then you must be kidding. undecided
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by bolorunfem(f): 2:31pm On Oct 18, 2011
Here in Nigeria, (or the part of Nigeria where I've lived till now), the question/greeting 'how are you' usually comes after the greeting 'Good morning/afternoon/evening'. For example

Paul - Good Morning, Esther
Esther - Good morning John
Paul - How are you
Esther - Fine, and you
Paul - Am good, thanks.

It is percieved as an offence if the first person to greet starts with how are you or responds to a 'good morning' greeting, like in the case below

Paul and Esther (colleagues) meet on a Monday morning at the car park and ,

Paul - Esther, good morning
Esther - How are you?

The above scenarios are between colleagues, now imagine if one is a senior and the other is a junior in school or subordinate to superordinate at work. or worse still a neighbor's teenage child to a family man next door/room.

Personally, there are some HOW ARE YOU questions that I just ignore because I find it rude if I greet you 'Good Afternoon' and your response is 'HOW ARE YOU'. Here in Naija, that question is a normal greeting to a minor, that is, you may not even say good whatever to the minor, 'Jide, how are you' is sufficient greeting to a little one and hence we find it condescending when someone younger than us greet us in that manner. Even when it comes from a fellow adult, some people still feel the person is not really concerned with my state of health but just being condescending.
Re: African Mentality: How Do You Feel When Your Junior Ask You "how Are You?" by Bestglo(f): 2:18pm On Oct 20, 2011
I dont see it as big deal

(1) (Reply)

Onila See How Cameroon Is Rebuilding Bakassi / Why Do Women Always Hit Their Heads? / See How Ooni Of Ife Departed Eko Hotels In Lagos For Osun State After His Visit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.