Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,211 members, 7,815,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. (4524 Views)

.... / Translate "Na Wa O" In English / Please Help Translate From Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by lbotus(f): 7:59am On May 03, 2011
Its a common statement we make often in "pidgin english" it goes thus: them born you/am well? OR "them no born you well, to do this or dat.

so guys translate in simple english grin grin grin
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by BABE3: 8:03am On May 03, 2011
Where you given birth to in the right way? undecided
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by Abbycrown(f): 8:56am On May 03, 2011
one is not of good birth. It's like an idiom-meaning one is not capable of carrying out a threat.
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by thweraja10: 11:08am On May 03, 2011
It just means i double dare you.
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by Emmyk(m): 3:29pm On May 03, 2011
Were you given birth to in Well?
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by mamagee3(f): 2:06am On May 04, 2011
Where you given birth to in the right way?

It can also be an idiomatic expression meaning "One can't carry any of their threats" or "One's threats are as empty as ever"
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by OAM4J: 3:10am On May 04, 2011
if 'them born you well'  simply means if 'you are not a bas.tard'
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by mamagee3(f): 1:01am On May 05, 2011
^^WTF!

You're so far from the point. grin grin grin
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by OAM4J: 1:09am On May 05, 2011
^Olodo, come and enroll in my language class lemme be your tutor cheesy

to be 'born well' in Nigeria/African terms means not to be a bas.tard
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by xynerise: 12:33pm On May 05, 2011
@op. It means them no born you for hospital or you have a genetic disorder during birth undecided
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by ifyalways(f): 12:42pm On May 05, 2011
Dem no born you well simply means You dare not.

Dem no born you well to slap me,If dem born you well try slapping me . . . .You dare not slap me.
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by MMM2(m): 11:08pm On May 05, 2011
amuru ke oma
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by bobbyray(m): 1:34pm On May 10, 2011
ifyalways:

Dem no born you well simply means You dare not.

Dem no born you well to slap me,If dem born you well try slapping me . . . .You dare not slap me.

***quasssaa*** i just slapped you

***ifyalways holds her cheek**** shocked shocked shocked
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by hunkyjohn(m): 8:09pm On May 10, 2011
Were you born properly?
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 06, 2011
Emmyk:

Were you given birth to in Well?

grin grin grin
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by Afam4eva(m): 7:06pm On Jun 06, 2011
The OP is asking for the literal english translation.
Re: Translate "them Born You Well?" In English. by bobbyray(m): 8:27am On Jun 07, 2011
afam4eva:

The OP is asking for the literal english translation.
thanks for your reminder

(1) (Reply)

The Wicked House Wife (A Very Very Touching Story In Pidgin English) / 375 Cfm Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor For Sale At A Reasonable Price / The 10 Most Destructive Tsunamis In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.