Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,503 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. (2034 Views)

I Cheated-my Marriage Is Falling Apart / I Told My Husband That I Cheated On Him. Now He Wants A Divorce. / I Cheated On My Husband With A Guy From Work And I Don't Know What To Do. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Nobody: 6:28am On Jun 07, 2021
I am writing this story with heart full of sorrow, Sometimes around last month, we decided to change our apartment, so we saw a three bedroom flat very close to where we stay, when we met the landlord, he explained to us that the house is not yet completed and that they will need to get the ceiling and the toilet done before giving it out, so he told us to pay so that the house can be completed, the annual rent is 140k, we pleaded to the man to allow us pay 6month which is 70K, with agreement that it will only complete just one room, parlour, toilet and bathroom, he told us to check back after three day.
We got there on the third day and nothing has been done to the house, we were very dissapointed, our house rent has due where we are staying and the caretaker of the house is not taking it easy with us, the man told us has has got the materials needed, but it remain the workmanship, nails and the thyrod, we had to rally round and we are able to get 20k to the money, and handed the money to him.
typing.
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Skyfornia(m): 6:38am On Jun 07, 2021
Don't fall for such scam...I was a victim my first time in Lagos...las las they will use your money complete the apartment and rent it to the highest bidder. Then promise to return back your money which may or may not happen.

3 Likes

Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Nobody: 7:05am On Jun 07, 2021
He told us to come back after wo days, on getting there, they had completed the two rooms, parlour, toilet and bathroom with store, my mum was very happy when she saw the latest development, we told the man to allow us move in and he insisted they had to finish up the whole building, we pleaded to him but he said we should look for another 30k,we had emptied all we have in our account, we told him we would try and get the money, i had to call my friends who could assist, i was able to get 10k after three days, when decided to go and give the money to the man, on getting to the apartment, we saw some people cleaning the apartment, we move closer to them to know what is going on, the lady said they just paid for the apartment, they paid 160k, my mum was'nt feeling comfortable again, we quickly dash out of the house to go and meet the man, when we saw the man, he said he has given the apartment to someone else and that he would refund our money, and that we should come back next week.. Next what?
typing.

4 Likes

Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Ndukings92(m): 7:21am On Jun 07, 2021
Next week, no one cares my dear. Friendship itself is beneficial,always always
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Asquare84(m): 9:26am On Jun 07, 2021
What a wicked nigerians, an average nigerians walking on the street is looking for whom to scam.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by uzomanny(m): 11:20am On Jun 07, 2021
Can you get for yourself a good Lawyer?
This is an opportunity to make cool cash.

3 Likes

Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Efewestern: 12:01pm On Jun 07, 2021
Three bedroom flat for 150k yearly? damn cheap

3 Likes

Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by GboyegaD(m): 7:43pm On Jun 07, 2021
I don't mean to be wicked but such a landlord should be locked up in jail till he remits the funds.

7 Likes

Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by cunny88(m): 8:53pm On Jun 07, 2021
Efewestern:
Three bedroom flat for 150k yearly? damn cheap
the apartment must be in maiduguri
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by theenchanter: 9:39pm On Jun 07, 2021
uzomanny:
Can you get for yourself a good Lawyer?
This is an opportunity to make cool cash.
I really doubt the landlord would give them proof of part-payment and I'm not sure a lawyer would take the case without proof of payment on the apartment.
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by LadySarah: 6:00am On Jun 08, 2021
You must be a quiet person.

You should be typing this from that house. Pack in your property and let the war begin.

This life you must use your sense. Refunding you is in the future because he doesn't have it and even if he does he won't give you ppl.

Carry a box and some personal items,pqck into that same flat and watch him bring it out fast.

Sometimes madness is necessary.

7 Likes

Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by uzomanny(m): 10:47am On Jun 08, 2021
theenchanter:
I really doubt the landlord would give them proof of part-payment and I'm not sure a lawyer would take the case without proof of payment on the apartment.

They don't even need to contact the landlord at all.

If they made an online transfer or even a bank deposit with the teller kept intact, it's a minor case grin
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Cuttycool(f): 11:12am On Jun 08, 2021
This is a small matter, get a police man and go meet the landlord.
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by ICTWeb: 8:22am On Jun 09, 2021
The man only follows his instincts. Highest bidder and for the fact you guys are finding it difficult to pay the first year rent says alot and the fear is that you people won't pay the rent timely and most especially in full.

1 Like

Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by ezugegere(m): 9:57am On Jun 09, 2021
Where did this happen?
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by AishaYesufu: 1:42pm On Jun 09, 2021
What's your location?
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Plut01: 9:26am On Jun 10, 2021
ICTWeb:
The man only follows his instincts. Highest bidder and for the fact you guys are finding it difficult to pay the first year rent says alot and the fear is that you people worn pay the rent timely and most especially in full.

Of course any Landlord will think this way even me. But right here is a clear case of common fraud which Lagos is known for.

Why was It difficult for the said landlord to refund their money immediately he took in another tenant? OP, get a government lawyer and make a good deal with him/her then watch how you will make more than that amount.

If that doesn't work, go to the nearest barrack and cry to them sojo. Watch and see the result for yourself.

1 Like

Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Bola146(f): 11:54am On Jun 10, 2021
Wicked man!!!! What if it were his wife and children Useless thing!!! Money is not every thing, you should have locked him up
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Bola146(f): 11:56am On Jun 10, 2021
ICTWeb:
The man only follows his instincts. Highest bidder and for the fact you guys are finding it difficult to pay the first year rent says alot and the fear is that you people worn pay the rent timely and most especially in full.

Then why did he collect the money? Haba now? He would have told them he needed the money in full! I just fear some heartless men!!!!!! Haba!!!!!
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by forensicpsychol: 7:30am On Jun 01, 2023
maxwelltony:
He told us to come back after wo days, on getting there, they had completed the two rooms, parlour, toilet and bathroom with store, my mum was very happy when she saw the latest development, we told the man to allow us move in and he insisted they had to finish up the whole building, we pleaded to him but he said we should look for another 30k,we had emptied all we have in our account, we told him we would try and get the money, i had to call my friends who could assist, i was able to get 10k after three days, when decided to go and give the money to the man, on getting to the apartment, we saw some people cleaning the apartment, we move closer to them to know what is going on, the lady said they just paid for the apartment, they paid 160k, my mum was'nt feeling comfortable again, we quickly dash out of the house to go and meet the man, when we saw the man, he said he has given the apartment to someone else and that he would refund our money, and that we should come back next week.. Next what?
typing.

Sorry if to say you have family or friends wey be officer they for correct things out .. some people are animal and need to be treat like one
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Houseontherock1: 7:45am On Jun 01, 2023
ICTWeb:
The man only follows his instincts. Highest bidder and for the fact you guys are finding it difficult to pay the first year rent says alot and the fear is that you people won't pay the rent timely and most especially in full.
It's a red flag when tenants find it hard to pay first year rent...but why collect the money when he knew he wouldn't give them? And to say the new tenants paid 160k...just 20k more than the 140k he asked them to pay! He's a wicked man.

@OP, get a lawyer friend or tell your mum to reach out to FIDA for free legal advice and/or representation, with your transaction records. It's so unfair!

But that house is cheap shocked
Re: How Our New Landlord Cheated Us. by Nazgul: 6:10pm On Jul 07, 2023
The rule of the thumb when renting an accommodation is never pay any agent or landlord upfront for an uncompleted building. Nigerians aren't honest when money is involved. Make sure the apartment is fully completed and habitable before committing your money.

Secondly, once you pay, move in immediately. If you pay today, paint it tomorrow and move in the following day. Some agents once they rent out an apartment to you and after a week or more, the you haven't moved in, and they find someone who is ready to pay more than what you paid, they'll collect the money from the new tenant and tell you to find somewhere else that after all the house is still empty.

I've seen this happen several times in Lagos. When you come for refund, it would be story upon story. And if you're not the mad and violent type, sorry is your name.

(1) (Reply)

A Professional And Super Affordable Website For Your Business. / Meghan Markle Furious That The Queen Banned Photographs Of Her Meeting Lilibet / Online Romance - How Nigerian Woman And American Guy Met Each Other Over The Net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.