Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,145 members, 7,821,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? (1302 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure / Eguavoen To Be Sacked After U-23's Match Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by Posh(m): 1:14am On Feb 10, 2006
Are we destined to fail?How come a country like Nigeria blessed with so many human resources continues to falter?Firstly, as a result of mismanagement of resources and "chop chop" politics,the country conceded her world cup ticket to minnows,Angola.As the wounds from failing to qualify for the world cup refused to heal,Eguavoen and his co-tavellers in the Eagles technical crew boasted that the Super Eagles will win the Nations Cup to compensate for failing to qualify the Eagles to the World Cup.

No sooner after the Eagles showdown with Ghana that Eguavoen complained of delirium(sorry confusion) as regards his selection.The height of confusion manifested in the semifinals cracker with the Ivory Coast in which he made a faux pas by fielding highly inexperienced sani Kaita in the defensive midfield, starting kanu and playing Osaze or Makinwa instead of John Utaka in the midfield,thereby gambling our chances of clinching the coveted trophy.

The question on everyone's lips is how long will we continue to sit and watch while some of these indigenous coaches trifle away our chances in the name of experimenting?My viewpoint is that a highly experienced foreign technical adviser be recruited as soon as possible to tinker the team to the next Nations Cup while Eguavoen and his assistants should sit behind the foreign technical manager to learn the ropes.Nigeria,certainly deserves the best and presently, we are miles far from achieving that or what do you think?
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by nobody2: 8:09am On Feb 10, 2006
Abacha on his inception speech while taking over the mantle of leadership from Shonekon thanked him for his courage in taking the position while the country was in a boil and praised him for his wisdom in knowning when to quit.

Dear Eguavoen, i want to thank you for your courage in taking the position of the coach then and i will be greatful to you for the much anticipated wisdom on your side in knowning and appreciating this time as your best time to quit.

nigeria, with her population is capable of presenting to Africa four different teams capable of bringing the cup home. i am talking about having, a first eleven, second eleven, third eleven and a fourth eleven capable destroying other african teams within the stipulated 90 minutes without waiting for a 50-50 chance of penalty shotouts.

how come Eguavoen decided to play such gamble with the such a large population of nigerians whose heart were near to attacks over the slow and steady football and non-challant attitude on thye pitch.

all of us were qualified to seat on the bench for nigeria while the much exoerienced crop of player do the job but what we needed was a motivator to urge them do the work but i am saying it in bold letter here that WE FAILED as long as 2006 nations cup is concerned.

all the teams saw nigeria in finals but were all disappointed the way we stopped. it just remind me of the much dreaded Sadam hussain who was finaly caputured in a peti hole without a gun shot.

again, obasanjo should understand that more than 2/3 majority of the country like football and then think about what to do to stop the "rubber stamp" coaching system where the much looked upon coach seats in Egypt where the selection of players come from abuja and lagos.

enough is enough but no matter what, Eguavoen should be a gentle and quit honourably as our history has seen him as a one time coach of the almight supper eagles who failed to qualify for world cup and refused to compensate us with the african cup of nations.

we are tired of this third place symdrom
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by mochafella(m): 8:35am On Feb 10, 2006
I think that a foreign coach is quite a distraction and a waste of money. Egu currently has the respect of the players, and apparently knows how to play some of the NFA politics. yes Egu made mistakes, tinkering with team in a bid to have an element of surprise against Ivory Coast.

chrischidi:

Eguavoen should be a gentle and quit honourably as our history has seen him as a one time coach of the almight supper eagles who failed to qualify for world cup and refused to compensate us with the african cup of nations.

However do not blame him for the failure to get to the world cup. Yes he was an assistant to Chukwu, but we all know that in Nigeria the buck stops with the boss and assistants are not heeded. Let us not forget that probably half of that squad was playing their first senior tournament ever for Nigeria. We can truly say now that we have the beginnings of a team that can rival/replace the team Westerhof/Bonfrere put together in the 90's. It would be a mistake to abandon that midway and start afresh, only to have more problems when the "White man" quits after 7 mths because NFA cannot pay his salary.

Besides what exactly is your gripe, quality of the coaching, the players or the fact that they have not jelled as a team. That team barely had a week of camp before the tourney. With one week that team, got to the 1/2 finals and I do not remember anyone complaining about coaching when Egu's subs changed the match against Zimbabwe, and the players having the mental strength to overturn a deficit against Senegal in the last ten minutes, even though we did not need to win. Some wil complain that we should be having those type of difficulties .i.e we should be winning by 3-0, 4-0. Fine. But only accomplished, experienced teams do that. Not a team that has never played a senior tourney together.

I believe we need to give the coaches time. Let them at least start qualifiers for the next senior tourney. If the team fumbles in the first few matches, replace them. Until then it is unrealistic to expect more given the circumstances we all know.
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by exu(m): 11:22am On Feb 10, 2006
I think he deserves time to grow into the job and build a team...

I seriously doubt a foreign coach would have done any better...
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by bolaoni(m): 11:59am On Feb 10, 2006
Actually, me think it is definitely not all about victory or the defeat, it is all about the manner in which both were achieved.

Most of the games we won were done unconvincingly and the defeat? SHAMEFUL. If we had lost galantly, nobody will be complaing, but how can we wun without putting up a fight? That is the most ridiculous of it all. Did our boys come to the field with the mind that CIV has carried the day?

Just watch that game again and see my own point of view.
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by gbengaijot(m): 2:36pm On Feb 10, 2006
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by kenflavor(m): 3:05pm On Feb 10, 2006
Nice advice there Gbenga
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by gbengaijot(m): 3:28pm On Feb 10, 2006
You are welcome @kenflavour.
Check him out when he was a player for Nigeria( he wasnt a very popularrrrrrrrrrrrrr player then anyway,but at least he went to tunisia 94)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/world_football/2327231.stm
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by mochafella(m): 6:59pm On Feb 10, 2006
bolaoni:

Most of the games we won were done unconvincingly and the defeat? SHAMEFUL. If we had lost galantly, nobody will be complaing, but how can we wun without putting up a fight?

bolaoni, that is my point exactly, you cannot win a game convincely until you have a team that has being together for a while, with a stable and respected coaching crew. We do not have that yet, but replacing Egu now will reverse whatever gains we have made, and we have made some gains. You cannot throw together a sqaud in less than a year and expect magic.

exu:

I think he deserves time to grow into the job and build a team...

Like Exu said he needs time.
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by tunjikrown(m): 2:39pm On Feb 11, 2006
i think its high time we stop dropping coaches after a tournament. let give Egu a chance , i think he can still do better!
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by neticash(m): 2:49pm On Feb 11, 2006
Guys give Austin a Chance, but he/we must all learn from our mistakes. This is always the bane of our problems.

Read this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-6546.0.html#msg204452.

We have to begin to believe in each other and most importantly, be patriotic in our approach to Nigeria and be strategic in our delivery of anything we're doing. That's how the Westerners do it. So why can't we learn from them, just like the japanese did.(They make the best cars now don't they).

SO.......................it's up to us NOW. What legacy are we going to leave for the next generation? I know we weren't left anything.

Enjoy your day
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by otokx(m): 4:45pm On Feb 11, 2006
let the man stay.
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by paj(m): 9:40pm On Feb 13, 2006
, Gbenga, I disagree with U!THe SE was a good mix of the old and the new, but Eguavoen erred massively not just in his selection,but also in his formation,strategy and susbtitution!
1.Ivory Coast was playing 4-5-1, 4 defenders, 5 midfielders, and a lone striker, seeing that, why in the world would Eguoveon play 4-2-4?2 mf's against 5?
2.Makinwa instead of Utaka?

Pa
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by gbengaijot(m): 10:32pm On Feb 13, 2006
@paj, i am not saying that his strategy was good or bad, what am saying is that, they dont even know much about coaching. They use tryand error. why will we waste money on foreing coaches who are secondary school coaches in their country.
Give him training courses and tell him that he must produce result and see if he wont.
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by paj(m): 1:18am On Feb 16, 2006
, Gbenga, to me it wont matter if we have foreign coaches or not, I just want the best man for the job, and Eguavoen is not it!The only Nigerian coach I respect right now is Siasia, and the reason I respect him is because the U-20 team he took to the WYC in Holland last june was the first 'coached' Nigerian team I've seen since 1994!The team looked like they were playing to instruction, not just 'using head'!Eguavoen's team were trying to put things together, there were no simulated executions in their strategy, nothing that tells me they're doing what they practised in training, na like sey na luck we take reach semi-finah sef,
, when a coach makes such gigantic mistakes like Eguavoen made in the ANC,abeg tell me, how many more chances do U get?Do we have to wait for him to go fokop for World Cup before we realise he's hapless?I mean, havent we learned our lesson from Chukwu?I mean, Nigeria didnt stop going to the world cup till a Nigerian coach took over for crying out loud!Bad selection,yeye strategies and moronic substitutions, what else do U need?

Pa
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by paj(m): 1:20am On Feb 16, 2006
, neticash abeg carry go with dat yeye patriotism talk joo!Na patriotism we go chop?Na the kin sentiment wey dey dabaru Naija be dat, Japan no get skill reach Naija yet dem dey reach Semi Final,shey dem stupid for using Zico as dem coach ni?Best man for the job, in my opinion, Nigerian or not, makes no difference,

Pa
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by paj(m): 1:20am On Feb 16, 2006
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by mochafella(m): 1:28am On Feb 16, 2006
paj:

The only Nigerian coach I respect right now is Siasia, and the reason I respect him is because the U-20 team he took to the WYC in Holland last june was the first 'coached' Nigerian team I've seen since 1994!The team looked like they were playing to instruction

paj:

Eguavoen's team were trying to put things together, there were no simulated executions in their strategy, nothing that tells me they're doing what they practised in training

um paj, how long did Siasia have with that team in a camp b4 the WYC? Let's not forget he also had that team at the AYC a few months earlier.

What do you expect from a team that spent a week together b4 the ANC tournament. You cannot have a "Coached" team without time to coach them.
Re: 2006 Nations Cup: Coach Eguavoen To Stay? by paj(m): 2:03pm On Feb 16, 2006
, Mochadude, his team selection,formation and substitutions were enuff to tell me Egu head no dey house in that semifinal, how can U play 4-2-4 against a team that's playing 4-5-1 and use 1-DM and 1-CM,with the DM debuting for the National Team in a semi final?He sat two good and experienced dm's on the bench(Obodo and Lawal) and started Kaita(inexperienced) and Kanu(a known supersub), started Odemwingie and sat Utaka on the bench hence leaving out some offensive muscle and defensive help(which Utaka has always given), totally exposing our midfield, no wonder the Ivoriens kept strolling back and forth, alaji, even Steven Wonder would've seen a problem,
decisions in critical situations like a Semi Final is what set coaches apart, U dont have to spend 6 years with a team to know its strengths and weaknesses, also, when the Ivorien Right full back start figuring out Nsofor and shutting down his game,he should've shifted him to the left and traded his position with Odemwingie to throw them off and mix things up a little, afterall, each of those players can use both their feet,
Pa

(1) (Reply)

Ivory Coast's Keita: Should He Be Banned? / Which Is Your Favorite Sports Game? / Supersport Secures Broadcast Rights To 50 AFCON Qualifiers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.