Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,914 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview (20491 Views)

Things You Should NOT Say In An Interview / 5 Things You Should Never Say In A Job Interview / What To Say In Every Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Cvclue11(m): 2:29pm On Jun 25, 2021
In an interview, your main goal is to persuade the hiring manager that you are the best candidate for the position out of all the others. That you have the necessary talents, a positive personality, and the motivation to succeed in your new position.

However, it's equally crucial to know what the hiring manager will consider a red signal as you prepare responses to interview questions that will allow you to do all of those things.

After all, if you make one or two bad decisions, it won't matter how good your sales figures were at your previous position.

To assist you, stay away from the following 30 messages. You'll make certain that your incredible qualities and accomplishments are recognized.—not a totally avoidable faux pas—will be what your interviewer remembers.

The first rule of interviewing is this: Do your homework. You never want to go into an interview knowing nothing about the position or company; you want to show that you're interested enough to do some research and consider how you'd fit in. To begin, conduct some online research (here's your game plan) and locate a current or former employee with whom you may speak before the big day.

My Previous Company...”
No matter how horrible a job was, you should never, try to blackmail your former employer in an interview. Maintain a neutral to positive tone, concentrating on what you've learned from each experience and what you hope to accomplish in the future. This is especially true when discussing your reasons for leaving—here are some pointers on how to do it properly.
My Boss and I Didn't Get Along”
Similarly, you don't want to say anything unpleasant about somebody you've previously worked with. Even if a past boss could put the characters in Horrible Bosses to shame, your interviewer isn't aware of this—and may wonder whether you're the one who's difficult to deal with.

“I'm a little jittery”
No firm wants to hire someone who lacks confidence, even if you're more scared than you've ever been. According to Amy Hoover, president of the employment board, “honesty is not the best approach in this case.” “Fake it till you make it!” they say.
“I realize I don't have a lot of experience, but...”
This is a common blunder, especially for recent graduates or professional changers. The problem is that apologizing for lack of experience implies that you're not a fantastic hire, that you're not exactly the appropriate match for the role, or even that you'll be beginning from scratch. That is simply not the case! Rather than focusing on your flaws, be positive, focus on your strengths, and go right into your transferable talents and contagious enthusiasm for the job. Instead, here are a few excellent phrases to try.

Yes! I've got a fantastic response to that!”
Have you rehearsed your responses to some interview questions? Great. However, you should not memorize them word by word. You'll find it difficult to engage in genuine conversation with the interviewer if you're overly prepared and on the edge of your seat waiting for certain questions you've prepared to be asked. And interviewers aren't likely to hire folks who don't seem to be able to hold a genuine discussion. Yes, come prepared, but resist the urge to memorize or over-rehearse the practice questions.

What the hell is going on here?”
You'd think that not swearing is common sense, but you'd be amazed how many people still do it. You're better off keeping your language PG even if your interviewer throws a few S- or F-bombs.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Seniorwriter(m): 2:35pm On Jun 25, 2021
Well this maybe insightful for offline workers.
But for online workspace occupiers like me ...no comment.
However If you have access to internet + browsing gadgets and you don't earn even $5 via online then you are not wisely utilizing the earning enabling resources.
Omega99:

Pls tell me more
Teewhyluv:

Show me way biko
How can I?
mrkings84:

Sorry sir, are you saying I am not okay cos I am not earning anything online o?

Oya help ur man na
Well try reach out to the facebook Id on my profile if you are really keen to earning via Online.
Goldiness:

Please how do you mean, please show me the way.
Posting so much here might bring about a ban from NL mods....You'll agree with me that if I was on a ban you wouldn't have seen this campaign for earning $5....
So do the needful by sending a message stating your Moniker.

@Seniorwriter

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by BrainSanitizer: 8:53pm On Jun 25, 2021
Really?
It had better be a multinational paying at least in the extreme upper band six digits else, boom!!!!!
I'll play a record of their sh*t right in their face!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by slawormiir: 8:53pm On Jun 25, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright.....
All these ones na story......wetin go be.....go be.....no matter wetin you yarn or talk.

I remember one year like that I attend interview.....the admin ask me if I dey smoke.....

Boldly I reply yes..that I don't smoke cigarette...but I smoke the other one....

When list of those selected for the job was out....my name was among

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by DrBrainstorm(m): 8:54pm On Jun 25, 2021
sad OP where I come from, we don't do interviews.
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by blessochampion(m): 8:54pm On Jun 25, 2021
If you will get the Job, you will get it.

It's that simple.

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by mrkings84(m): 8:54pm On Jun 25, 2021
Ok, nice bro

But what about those interviewers who will leave the subject matter to go ask you a strange question ie, something that got no link or related to the job you are seeking??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by egenma(f): 8:54pm On Jun 25, 2021
HRs will always find something to faults about . They are never satisfied
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by paddyDIGITAL(m): 8:55pm On Jun 25, 2021
Stick to the line of questions when giving answers. Talking too much may expose you to other questions that you won't be able to give accurate responses.

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Mblingz(m): 8:55pm On Jun 25, 2021
Ok
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by iamyemiakins(m): 8:55pm On Jun 25, 2021
BrainSanitizer:
Really?
It had better be a multinational paying at least in the extreme upper band six digits else, boom!!!!!
I'll play a record of their sh*t right in their face!
Brain sanitizer indeed

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Asiseeit: 8:55pm On Jun 25, 2021
Where the jobs dey sef.

Even the few jobs wey dey, those who will really get the job, they don't even need to attend the interview. Just a phone call from their big god.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Drsnives(m): 8:56pm On Jun 25, 2021
Nawa
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by mimilogistics: 8:56pm On Jun 25, 2021
interesting
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by money121(m): 8:57pm On Jun 25, 2021
Ok
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by benpedro(m): 9:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
If the firm needs you, they don't pay attention to all these minor issues. Nigeria's problem is unemployment. Here in Mexico, they advertise and even pay you bonuses to apply for manufacturing jobs. I mean unskilled labour jobs that pay not less than 200k naira equivalent, with lots of benefits, free food, free transport, access to house and car loans worth millions of naira. If you say you wanna work, they'll ask you to start immediately. Sometimes, they'll even be dragging your cloths lol. Fix unemployment in Nigeria and forget all these dos and donts for jobs that pay peanuts!

11 Likes

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by mrkings84(m): 9:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
Seniorwriter:
However If you have access to internet + browsing gadgets and you don't earn even $5 via online then you are not wisely utilizing the earning enabling resources.

@Seniorwriter

Sorry sir, are you saying I am not okay cos I am not earning anything online o?

Oya help ur man na
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Teewhyluv(m): 9:02pm On Jun 25, 2021
Seniorwriter:

@Seniorwriter

Show me way biko
How can I?
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Emeka71(m): 9:04pm On Jun 25, 2021
On-point; also, don't tell them that you have a babe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Dcaliphate(m): 9:05pm On Jun 25, 2021
cry
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Thinktwicemybro: 9:07pm On Jun 25, 2021
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by GboyegaD(m): 9:10pm On Jun 25, 2021
All these you listed are not real. It is about how they are presented.
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by deltaboyo1: 9:13pm On Jun 25, 2021
egenma:
reminds me of that guy that always does interview skits. that guy can jabo and answer qweshion that they didn't ask him.
Please join my WhatsApp TV Happy TV for entertainment news funny videos and pictures have fun together I don't snub number DM me please for entertainment please add up 07015922698
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by deltaboyo1: 9:14pm On Jun 25, 2021
GboyegaD:
All these you listed are not real. It is about how they are presented.
Please join my WhatsApp TV Happy TV for entertainment news funny videos and pictures have fun together I don't snub number DM me please for entertainment please add up 07015922698
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by zubimete(f): 9:14pm On Jun 25, 2021
benpedro:
If the firm needs you, they don't pay attention to all these minor issues. Nigeria's problem is unemployment. Here in Mexico, they advertise and even pay you bonuses to apply for manufacturing jobs. I mean unskilled labour jobs that pay not less than 200k naira equivalent, with lots of benefits, free food, free transport, access to house and car loans worth millions of naira. If you say you wanna work, they'll ask you to start immediately. Sometimes, they'll even be dragging your cloths lol. Fix unemployment in Nigeria and forget all these dos and donts for jobs that pay peanuts!
Everything differs here in niaja; From being a jambite to journey into labour market. Nonsence employee \ HR with irrevant questions.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Hod612: 9:16pm On Jun 25, 2021
Lol
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Funkybabee(f): 9:18pm On Jun 25, 2021
Hmmmm

Though number one is necessary
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by MartinsD12(m): 9:18pm On Jun 25, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright.....
All these ones na story......wetin go be.....go be.....no matter wetin you yarn or talk
Very true, just like whatever is destined to yours will be yours, all lies in God hand.
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by oneolajire(m): 9:18pm On Jun 25, 2021
HRs will always find faults. They are never satisfied
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Omega99(m): 9:20pm On Jun 25, 2021
Seniorwriter:

@Seniorwriter

Pls tell me more
Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by Karleb(m): 9:21pm On Jun 25, 2021
oneolajire:
HRs will always find faults. They are never satisfied

cheesy

One day, I'd like to interview an HR.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Not Say In A Job Interview by ImpregnaTor(m): 9:39pm On Jun 25, 2021
The

(1) (2) (Reply)

BGS Mgt Interview / "UK Employer Asking For My Linkedin Password" / Rite Foods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.