Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss (8431 Views)

How Do You Handle A Difficult Boss? / How To Cope With A Difficult Boss / How To Work With Difficult People And Still Maintain Your Sanity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by PFBRESOURCES: 4:06pm On Jun 28, 2021
8 STRATEGIES FOR DEALING WITH A DIFFICULT BOSS
1. Determine your boss' motivations
Trying to better understand why your supervisor acts the way they do can help you determine whether this person is acting negatively on purpose or simply dealing with a high-pressure job. If your supervisor is under a great deal of pressure and in turn puts more pressure on you and other employees, you may be able to voice how this is affecting your work life to your boss.

2. Take responsibility when necessary
Sometimes a relationship with a supervisor can be challenging due to both individuals' behaviors. While it may be easy to blame your boss for their negative behavior, it's important to assess your role in the relationship and take responsibility for any contribution to the challenging nature of the relationship when necessary.

3. Choose your words carefully
While expressing honesty and being open in the workplace is certainly important, it's also important to remain tactful and choose your words thoughtfully when interacting with a difficult supervisor. Saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, being disrespectful or being perceived as disrespectful will likely only increase the tension between you and your manager.

4. Empathize
As challenging a situation as this might be, put yourself in your boss' shoes to understand better what this person might be going through. Your boss may have to deal with the heads of the organization. They may be going through a challenging time personally. All these things can affect your boss's behavior and understanding their position might give you a new outlook on their behavior. More importantly, these things can help you better accept and cope with challenging situations as you understand that you are not the problem.

5. Don't discuss your boss with coworkers
Speaking with someone about your difficult relationship with your boss can be an important part of taking care of yourself and venting some of your frustration. However, it's important you refrain from having this type of conversation with other coworkers. Doing so may further encourage negativity in the workplace. Instead, try talking to a trusted friend or family member whose opinion you respect.

6. Anticipate expectations
Take the time to become well-acquainted with your boss's habits, demands and expectations. In doing so, you can anticipate their requests and avoid exacerbating any tension in your relationship. More than that, if your boss sees that you don't need to be micromanaged, they may provide you with more freedom and require you to check in with them less.

7. Practice your leadership skills
You can use your difficult situation as an opportunity to practice your leadership skills. Take the initiative and make decisions when possible that you know will lead to positive results for the organization. Your co-workers may be affected by your initiative and start following your steps to achieve results. This can help to turn a negative environment into a positive and proactive one.

8. Study your boss' communication style
Taking the time to determine your manager's preferred communication style can help foster more effective communication within the workplace. For example, if your boss prefers to communicate primarily via email, make it a habit to first send them an email before confronting them in person about a work-related matter. The better you understand how to communicate with your manager, the more likely your relationship will improve.

3 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by keentola(m): 5:03pm On Jun 28, 2021
If better job dey country who go get time for tutorial on managing boss and managers.

Assuming that you have alternatives, you will think about your happiness and mental health and boost productivity at your workplace not stifle it with petty dominance and arrogance.
Some won't even pay you or pay you early enough

25 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by Renforce: 5:03pm On Jun 28, 2021
Just fvcking bend!
Some Employees can do oversabi. They actually feel they know more than their bosses. This is the first thing a smart boss notices in his subordinate and that's how problem starts.

Wait o! How una take dey make frontpage with zero comments? Kwaraption canneva end

2 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by BuyAndSellStuff: 5:03pm On Jun 28, 2021
Shout back at them!

Trust me this always works. They always look shocked and will avoid you for sometime in disbelief. The next time they return to speak to you, you will notice the calm in their voice & cautious mannerisms towards you.

You may even end up being best friends after that incident.

Nigerians love to learn things the hard way.

24 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by emmabest2000(m): 5:03pm On Jun 28, 2021
Some random jobless job hunters will stay at a corner of their face me i slap you rented one room and start opening some random threads on NL about 8 strategies to deal with a difficult Boss ... while they don't have any job experience grin

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by Miscaramel: 5:03pm On Jun 28, 2021
That's why I very much prefer not having a boss. I'll rather work for myself cool

I spend all sorts of cards. EDD, Sofi, Chime, Lili, Greendot. Come. Very very good rates. WhatsApp number in signature.
Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by Badadvisor: 5:04pm On Jun 28, 2021
Start yahoo
Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by Darkmode64: 5:04pm On Jun 28, 2021
Sometimes all these highlighted here won't work. If your boss is toxic, he's toxic. Period.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by StonedLex(m): 5:04pm On Jun 28, 2021
Nice options.

But it seems you've not met a very toxic boss.
Some will scream on you like you f**Ked his daughter. I've had a boss that when he's angry, he'll scatter all the files on his desk on the floor, through the papers in his hand on your face. He never gives you chance to explain when he's faulty.

These things will only work when you have a slightly difficult boss.

1 Like

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by Richardjemedafe(m): 5:05pm On Jun 28, 2021
9. Buy him/her gift
10.buy him/her more gift

3 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by Ejlove4u(m): 5:06pm On Jun 28, 2021
it's cool but if my boss dey with woman, you never can tell how he will behave
Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by BuyAndSellStuff: 5:07pm On Jun 28, 2021
Miscaramel:
That's why I very much prefer not having a boss. I'll rather work for myself cool

Naso
They don come again undecided

2 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by beautyhd: 5:10pm On Jun 28, 2021
Some bosses can't be pleased jare.

2 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by beautyhd: 5:11pm On Jun 28, 2021
Richardjemedafe:
9. Buy him/her gift
10.buy him/her more gift

Problems start when you stop buying gifts.

Don't start what you can't finish

7 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by Shellsploit: 5:16pm On Jun 28, 2021
finally... resign.
Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by fatymore(f): 5:18pm On Jun 28, 2021
Ignore whenever they rant.

Na dem go tire
Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by LagbajaTheBEREAN: 5:22pm On Jun 28, 2021
The 48LOPs have been helpful right now...
Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by Hahjascho(m): 5:38pm On Jun 28, 2021
It seems this one has not seen a mentally frustrating difficult boss.

Modified

3 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by ebuclassic18(m): 5:47pm On Jun 28, 2021
keentola:
If better job dey country who go get time for tutorial on managing boss and managers.

Assuming that you have alternatives, you will think about your happiness and mental health and boost productivity at your workplace not stifle it with petty dominance and arrogance.
Some won't even pay you or pay you early enough
I wonder my brother the shakara too much these days
Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by Endymi: 5:47pm On Jun 28, 2021
Hahjascho:
It seems this one has not seen a toxic boss who is directly intentional to mentally frustrate you .

Mennnnnnnnnn,you hit the nail on the head,chai that year for ojota, sigh na story now sha, nothing day please this woman,at a point I con day wonder if she day see me for dream oooo.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by freesoul12: 5:55pm On Jun 28, 2021
Chart is d only boss i react to. I fit talk to am in d midnight or anytime. I'm d boss
Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by medropoly(m): 6:12pm On Jun 28, 2021
I swear you never work under Madam MasterCard for KD that's way you dey talk all this trash.. Madam MasterCard na just the worst and the unworkable boss in the world. Believe me you no fit work under MasterCard even as a pope. grin

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by egennie(f): 6:47pm On Jun 28, 2021
sometimes ignore their rants

2 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by TimmyTen(m): 7:49pm On Jun 28, 2021
Good tips.
In addition to the list always understand the importance of office politics.
Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by McBishop2020: 9:03pm On Jun 28, 2021
Your psycho-emotional well being first before dreaming of pleasing your boss.

If seeing your boss more angry than ever makes you happy and more productive, please make sure you cause him or her more headache.

I tell you, hence you are very good at discharging your job specifications, highly productive and happy with what you do, your boss will have no choice than to respect you.

Besides, a good player doesn't lack club. Football fans can attest to this.

2 Likes

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by UltimateStarman: 9:56pm On Jun 28, 2021
some bosses are just crazy...all these grammar won't work.....
Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by TempUser: 3:59am On Jun 29, 2021
Those difficult bosses are people easy to manipulate, trust me!
You just have to be good at social engineering

1 Like

Re: Strategies For Dealing With Difficult Boss by Moogurisar: 6:45pm On Jul 08, 2021
These are really good tips which will allow you to find a common language with your boss.
Especially I liked the first tip 'Determine your boss' motivation'. It is actually useful not only for the communication with boss but with all of the people. It is essential to keep temper and see what makes your talker behave the way they do.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos BRT Drivers: We Can’t Drive On Empty Stomachs / How Long To Get Letter Confirmation From Government (Lagos state) / Ikeazor Appointed Keystone Bank MD/CEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.