Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,320 members, 7,836,378 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt (15497 Views)

South Africa's ANC Suspends Former President, Jacob Zuma For Forming New Party / Former SA President Zuma Released Early from Prison, Now on Medical Parole (PIX) / Angry Ex-President Zuma Supporters Looted Shops, Set Buildings Ablaze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by Sunnycliff(m): 11:02am On Jun 29, 2021
What can never happen in Nigeria
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by emperorAY(m): 11:02am On Jun 29, 2021
A country with strong institutions

1 Like

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 29, 2021
And they are from the same party, unlike one party like this that absolves you of all your sins because of party affiliation. Nigeria is indeed really useless.

1 Like

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by Finnese001: 11:03am On Jun 29, 2021
grin
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by wink2015(m): 11:04am On Jun 29, 2021
The former president, whose tenure was tainted by financial scandals, was a comrade of Nelson Mandela and a dominant figure for decades in the governing African National Congress party.

South Africa’s highest court on Tuesday ordered the imprisonment of Jacob Zuma, the former president of South Africa, for 15 months on contempt charges, after he defied an order to appear before a corruption inquiry examining the breathtaking financial scandals that tainted his tenure as the country’s leader from 2009 to 2018.

The move to detain Mr. Zuma, a comrade of Nelson Mandela and one of the dominant figures in the governing African National Congress party since apartheid ended in 1994, was a notable development in the legacy of corruption that shadowed his years in power. Mr. Zuma was not in court on Tuesday, and he was not immediately taken into custody.

The decision by the Constitutional Court to have Mr. Zuma arrested came five months after that same body ordered him to appear before the corruption inquiry, led by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo.

But Mr. Zuma brazenly defied the court. Not only did he fail to show up to testify before the inquiry, but he also ignored the high court’s contempt proceedings, declining to so much as mount a defense.

The call to imprison Mr. Zuma for his defiance comes at a time when many fed-up South Africans seem to have coalesced behind the efforts of the current president, Cyril Ramaphosa, to root out corruption in the government and the A.N.C. party.

The looting of public enterprises by government officials has taken a heavy toll on the lives of ordinary citizens, felt in problems like the shoddy delivery of services, frequent power outages and water shortages. Frustrated South Africans are protesting on a frequent basis.

Mr. Zuma, 79, has in many ways become the most potent representation of government leadership gone astray.

In a bid to regain public confidence, the current president, Mr. Ramaphosa, has in recent months gone after some of his own party’s leading figures — including the health minister, in the middle of a pandemic, and the A.N.C. secretary-general, the third most powerful member of the party — who have been accused of corruption, forcing them to step aside from their roles within the A.N.C. while they face charges.

It was a decisive move that many South Africans have said was long overdue. But it also has caused a split within the party. Although Mr. Ramaphosa appears to have the support of a majority of the A.N.C., there remains a strong core of Zuma loyalists.

Tuesday’s decision was announced in a sparsely populated courtroom in Johannesburg, with attendance limited because of rising coronavirus infections in the country. Justice Sisi Khampepe sat on a curved dais before a backdrop of the South African flag and a red brick wall, methodically reading the court’s decision. She spent several minutes reviewing the history of the case before announcing Mr. Zuma’s fate.

Mr. Zuma himself began the corruption inquiry he has since shunned. Started in 2018, it came after a report detailing the extent of corruption in state-owned companies and government departments during his administration. In its far-reaching mandate, the commission has interrogated more than 250 witnesses.

Mr. Zuma is the first to refuse to testify. He has argued that he is not legally obliged to do so, saying Justice Zondo harbors a personal vendetta against him. The judge has dismissed the argument as baseless.

Beyond the commission’s inquiry, Mr. Zuma faces additional serious legal troubles related to corruption allegations.

He is being prosecuted on charges of racketeering, corruption, fraud and money laundering after being accused of taking bribes from a French arms manufacturer when he was deputy president in 1999. That trial was set to start earlier this year, but the case has been delayed repeatedly. Most recently, Mr. Zuma’s legal team has sought to get the lead prosecutor removed, alleging that he was biased. The case has been postponed until July.

While Mr. Zuma is a polarizing figure in South Africa, he retains considerable support, raising the risk of protests by sympathizers and supporters.

Mr. Ramaphosa, formerly Mr. Zuma’s deputy, won the A.N.C. leadership in 2017 after a bruising internal battle. Soon afterward, he forced Mr. Zuma to step down as president, a humiliating defeat that Mr. Zuma has not forgiven.

Mr. Ramaphosa’s vow to root out corruption and patronage within the A.N.C. has faced strong resistance from a rival faction within the party. The A.N.C. has dominated South African politics since the end of the apartheid era.

Mr. Zuma’s critics worried that his refusal to testify would severely undercut the corruption inquiry and further alienate South Africans weary of what they see as the impunity and lack of accountability for high-ranking A.N.C. politicians.

SOURCE

The government estimates more than 500 billion rand ($35 billion) was stolen from the state during Zuma’s rule, and at least 40 witnesses who’ve appeared before Zondo linked the ex-president to the looting spree. Zuma, who the ruling party forced to quit in 2018 to stem a loss of electoral support, has denied wrongdoing and says the allegations against him are part of a smear campaign.

Bloomberg Africa

IF THE SINS OF PRESIDENT BUHARI WERE GOING TO BE PUT TOGETHER IT WILL MAKE NONSENSE OF THAT OF EX-PRESIDENT JACOB ZUMA.

The little sins of President Zuma is making media wave around the world what if that of President Buhari was to be brought to world attention.

Buhari has no respect for DEMOCRATIC PRINCIPLES.

He does whatever he likes and has even deviated from his APC PARTY MANIFESTOS.

Buhari has been stubbornly taking loans with no evidence of productive spending.

He has banned twitter and stiffle the opposition yet the Nigerian state have not called for his head.

SERAP takes him to court he flout court order.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by Gval123: 11:05am On Jun 29, 2021
BUBU hope u day hear am so. Power nor be 4 ever oh. e go be likr film 4 ur eye when e go happen
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by DDDEnterprises: 11:05am On Jun 29, 2021
dat9jaguy:

See am dey talk now, if them do this to Jonathan or any ex president, na Una go dey shout witch hunting.
Nonsense.

Yes nah. You know me enough to say I would say that...

Oga shift abeg... angry
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by Sirpaul(m): 11:05am On Jun 29, 2021
not in UAR .....
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by dat9jaguy(m): 11:09am On Jun 29, 2021
DDDEnterprises:

Yes nah. You know me enough to say I would say that...

Oga shift abeg... angry

Yinmu

1 Like

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 11:11am On Jun 29, 2021
What of Country where rule of law uphold.. but if its in Nigeria one Almajiri group will fill up the street of Abuja with placards they don't even know what was written on it.. supporting clueless lifeless dementia that forced on us my Chicago drug lord Tinubu

1 Like

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 11:11am On Jun 29, 2021
What of Country where rule of law uphold.. but if its in Nigeria one Almajiri group will fill up the street of Abuja with placards they don't even know what was written on it.. supporting clueless lifeless dementia that forced on us by Chicago drug lord Tinubu
What of Country where rule of law uphold.. but if its in Nigeria one Almajiri group will fill up the street of Abuja with placards they don't even know what was written on it.. supporting clueless lifeless dementia that forced on us by one Chicago drug lord Tinubu
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by ivolt: 11:12am On Jun 29, 2021
Wake me up when he is arrested.
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by ivolt: 11:12am On Jun 29, 2021
dat9jaguy:

See am dey talk now, if them do this to Jonathan or any ex president, na Una go dey shout witch hunting.
Nonsense.
Has the guy been arrested yet?
NO.
So why foaming over a mere statement?
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by Finnese001: 11:13am On Jun 29, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

African leaders and financial recklessness

I dey use this Jacob Zuma format, if you know you know cheesy
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by GeneralPula: 11:14am On Jun 29, 2021
All nah political fight..
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by badboyTee(m): 11:14am On Jun 29, 2021
CDN11:
Good morning all please be aware of the impersonation going on his forum by one scat called Anthony okeke. With my ex video I didn't mention my name.

Please
 forgive me, if i can help myself i won't be begging. have been looking for help on nairaland.my name is cҽlҽsƭเɳe am fɾσɱ υgωυ-ҽɱҽ αωɠµ local government in Enugu. Am 29 years. Have been sufferเɳɠ from parraplegic injury of the spine since the past1 3 years ɳσω. Am only alive today because ɓყ Ꮐᝪᗞ mercy αղժ ɱყ ɱσƭɦҽɾ She look after me since my accident happen but life is now too very hard for us. My mother is aged, she is diabetic and my hands is partially affected due to the injury and i can no earn a living because of it. My family have suffer to spend so much on us and is just me and my mother that live here in the village with no one else here to help us. Am also suffer from acute urinary tract infection due to my inability to be changing carrterther often and also because am unable to get good treatment and health care needs like adurltdiaper, supplements, suppozitry, drugs etc. We also finding it hard to feed. please am calling on well meaning Nigerians to pleasehave mercy and please helpus. Nothing is too small and any NGO that can accept my condition please. ժҽtails
*3. 171. 786. 625 0 
Celestinҽ Nwankwօ
first. bank
One of the pics below is me and the parish priest of my town.when he visited me.the second is my unproperly treatd bed sore causing deep hoe in my buttocks
am not trying to be not pitiful but how did you typed all this ??
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by dat9jaguy(m): 11:15am On Jun 29, 2021
ivolt:

Has the guy been arrested yet?
NO.
So why foaming over a mere statement?

See them, you are part of the people I'm talking about.
Guy stay your lane.

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by sunnnnyuu(m): 11:15am On Jun 29, 2021
Thisis2raw:
Which court in Nigeria can order the arrest of Tinubu? That why we are where we are
Which court will order for arrest of gej, ibb, obj
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by Seniorwriter(m): 11:17am On Jun 29, 2021
Spending123:
Nigeria Nigerian Politicians left the group WhatsApp chat group angrily.

LMAO
Rephrased.

We need young visionary leadership in Nigeria.
BTW @SeunOsewa
@Moderators (Domnique, Myndd44
& co .
Don't know why a certain BOT keeps banning simple comments like *[b]LOVELY
in the political sections of NL ....don't seem usual because as soon as i make s comment it does. I'm thinking it's a malfunction....you can check my comment there in the section and thread as I've attached the screenshot of the ban from the BOT on here.
[/b]
Anyways since Zuma has been found guilty then let him do the time.
Looking forward towards such in Nigeria.

@Seniorwriter

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by ivolt: 11:18am On Jun 29, 2021
dat9jaguy:

See them, you are part of the people I'm talking about.
Guy stay your lane.

If Zuma was an ordinary citizen, he would already be in handcuffs.
But all they gave you is a newspaper headline and you already dancing.

1 Like

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by Nobody: 11:18am On Jun 29, 2021
SA far ahead of Naija in fighting corruption.

1 Like

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by dat9jaguy(m): 11:24am On Jun 29, 2021
ivolt:

If Zuma was an ordinary citizen, he would already be in handcuffs.
But all they gave you is a newspaper headline and you already dancing.

Sit down for Nigeria dey dispute wetin dem write about South Africa.
Alabosi.

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by bencr7: 11:29am On Jun 29, 2021
dat9jaguy:

Nonsense.
grin cheesy
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by bencr7: 11:36am On Jun 29, 2021
sunnnnyuu:

Which court will order for arrest of gej, ibb, obj
am not a fan of tinubu but u put that person in is place, like if na only tinubu corrupt for Nigeria
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by grandlexuz(m): 11:38am On Jun 29, 2021
PlayMaker14:
Corruption case hanging on his neck like gold necklace but the SA government are handling it in a very orderly manner by getting so many concentrate evidence against the social media Meme president.

Unlike Nigeria, they use it as a means to gun down political enemies and keep them in detention for years till they start digging out little evidence.

Someone should help me with that Jacob Zuma's meme putting his fingers together in a way to let us know that he and corruption are 5 & 6.

If you need the one of him dancing naked, let me know..

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by IronGalaxy: 11:39am On Jun 29, 2021
TMKsouth:
Hopefully the first 15 months of 50 years or more. He's got many other corruption charges still sitting in various courts.
Ace Magashule et al must follow suit

2 Likes

Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by TMKsouth: 11:44am On Jun 29, 2021
IronGalaxy:
Ace Magashule et al must follow suit

They must be shi**ing themselves right now that the Mafia boss is going behind bars.
Re: Court Orders The Arrest Of Ex-President Zuma For Contempt by Germi9: 11:50am On Jun 29, 2021
He should have decamped so that his sin will be forgiven

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Syria And Israel In Exchange Of Fire / Israel Elects New Prime Minister Today / Tsunami Evacuation Alert after Massive Underwater Volcano Eruption In Tonga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.