Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,495 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea (73446 Views)

Bitcoin Billionaire Mircea Popescu Dies Along With Keys To $1 Billion Bitcoin / Construction Works Begin At Lekki Deep Sea Port / Meet John Collison, Harvard Dropout And World's Youngest Self-Made Billionaire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by HolinessForever: 11:49am On Jul 01, 2021
Mystery as Bitcoin ‘billionaire’ reported dead after ‘drowning in sea’ amid fears crypto fortune could be lost forever

MYSTERY surrounds the fate of Bitcoin billionaire Mircea Popescu amid reports he drowned off the coast of Costa Rica.

The unconfirmed death of the controversial investor has now sparked speculation about what will happen to his bitcoin fortune, which is estimated to be worth more than £1.4billion ($2 billion).

According to site Teletica, Romanian Mircea Popescu, 41, drowned after taking an 8.30am morning swim in the resort of Playa Hermosa, which is known as a surfing hotspot because of the massive waves on its beaches.

A man they identified as Popescu was “swept away by the current” and drowned.

Popescu was most known for his blogging about Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies across multiple platforms and forums.

But his statements were often condemned as being fascist, racist, and sexist.

He was also believed by many to be one of the largest individual bitcoin holders, with the Independent estimating his fortune to be more than £1.4bllion.

But unconfirmed rumours swirling about the internet have been that his family cannot access his Bitcoin addresses where it is claimed he held a million Bitcoins.

If the billionaire had not made arrangements for others to get access to his wallets, those tokens would end up being lost.

It follows the death of software mogul John McAfee who was found hanged last week in a Barcelona cell, who was also said to have vast sums tied up in cryptocurrency.

Alexander Mardar said: “It looks like that with the deaths of Mircea Popescu and John McAfee a significant amount of $BTC might be lost forever."

Former CoinDesk editor-in-chief Pete Rizzo said Popescu was also an antagonist of other prominent figures in the early years of bitcoin.

Following reports of his death, Mr Rizzo tweeted: "Mircea will endure as one of bitcoin’s most vilified figures and inarguably one of its greatest philosophers."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15454231/bitcoin-billionaire-mircea-popescu-dead/amp/

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Callisto1(m): 11:51am On Jul 01, 2021
VANITY..

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by DDDEnterprises: 11:55am On Jul 01, 2021
Does he not have family and kin?

they should give them the fortune nah

modified: I just got to know you can't have access to Bitcoin unless you know the password or something.

Alright. please nobody should quote me again. Thanks

grin grin

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Righteousness2(m): 11:57am On Jul 01, 2021
Not a single bit of Bitcoin was taken to the other side of Life.
No wonder JESUS says, " What shall it Profit you to gain the whole Universe and lose your soul.
This Life is indeed Vanity upon vanity.

In Every of your accomplishments, Pursuit and achievements here on Earth, the achievement of Having a Genuie relationship with Jesus Christ is Topmost Pirioty.
This is what really Matters.

240 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Nobody: 11:58am On Jul 01, 2021
I term all these young men doing this bitcoin and other online money stuff as yahoo boys,that's just how I see them.Whenever I ask a man about what he does for a living and he's mentioning bitcoin and all other online money stuff,my mind will quickly tell me to pick race lol

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Bluntguy: 11:59am On Jul 01, 2021
Bitcoin, Bitcoin, Bitcoin
How many times I call you?
I am coming to arrest you.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by fati2001(m): 12:02pm On Jul 01, 2021
IT'S GOOD TO DIE IN VANITY

IT'S GOOD TO DIE IN HUMILITY AND GO TO HEAVEN.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Juliusmomoh: 12:03pm On Jul 01, 2021
fati2001:
IT'S GOOD TO DIE IN VANITY

IT'S GOOD TO DIE IN HUMILITY AND GO TO HEAVEN.
Wetin my eyes no go see untop nairaland cheesy cheesy . So u don turn pastor ? grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by pyyxxaro: 12:15pm On Jul 01, 2021
Righteousness2:
Not a single bit of Bitcoin was taken to the other side of Life.
No wonder JESUS says, " What shall it Profit you to gain the whole Universe and lose your soul.
This Life is indeed Vanity upon vanity.

In Every of your accomplishments, Pursuit and achievements here on Earth, the achievement of Having a Genuie relationship with Jesus Christ is Topmost Pirioty.
This is what really Matters.

Pastor Pastor

7 Likes

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Juliusmomoh: 12:20pm On Jul 01, 2021
Callisto1:
VANITY..
I love this type of vanity o tongue

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Coldie(m): 1:20pm On Jul 01, 2021
The guy don carry people bitcoins money run form death

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by SUPERPACK: 1:29pm On Jul 01, 2021
Rozcol:
I term all these young men doing this bitcoin and other online money stuff as yahoo boys,that's just how I see them.Whenever I ask a man about what he does for a living and he's mentioning bitcoin and all other online money stuff,my mind will quickly tell me to pick race lol
Money can be gotten online without being linked to yahoo, btc is one of them, Its just a zero-sum investment that can lead to a loss or a gain for the investor. Just see Bitcoin as your regular betting shops, one persons loss will always lead to another persons gains and vice versa.

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by SUPERPACK: 1:31pm On Jul 01, 2021
Coldie:
The guy don carry people bitcoins money run form death
He did not, he is an early Bitcoin investor and bought Bitcoin in large quantity when it was below $5. He was also into Bitcoin mining.

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by BuyAndSellStuff: 3:59pm On Jul 01, 2021
These guys are faking their deaths & disappearing with people's money. cheesy grin

A man with billions of dollars can change his identity with surgery, relocate to a remote part of the world and live in absolute peace forever.

Very sharp guy.

52 Likes

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by mzBEAM(f): 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2021
Assassinated

11 Likes

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by falseprophet: 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2021
lipsrsealed
Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by DumaEmpire(m): 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2021
This is tragic but the most important question is what now happens to the Bitcoins embarassed

7 Likes

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2021
......... what will happen to his bitcoin fortune, which is estimated to be worth more than £1.4billion ($2 billion) .

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by VlamesIffect(f): 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2021
He suppose leave link to him blockchain wallet tho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by superCleanworks(m): 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2021
Please Bitcoin experts, how can i get access to this dead man's money? make e no lost abeg.

NATIONAL TREASURE part 3 Loading

6 Likes

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2021
Old news
Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by PrincessGlow: 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2021
Vanity upon vanity
Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Iruobean(m): 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2021
Na wa oooh
Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by brownemmanuel43(m): 4:18pm On Jul 01, 2021
Gumi is a free man, walking freely in the north
Kanu is a terrorist bcs he wants Biafra
Last night Sunday Igboho's house was attacked and some were killed in the process bcs of fighting for his people
Boko boys were pardoned and amnesty was given to them
Headsmen were busy slaughtering people in the middle bet yet u keep saying that we are one Nigeria.
Well I will always wish supporters of this govt well and I pray for mother earth to treat them they way buhari is treating Nigerians

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by fk001(m): 4:19pm On Jul 01, 2021
I will never invest my money in Imaginary money

2 Likes

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Blackfire(m): 4:20pm On Jul 01, 2021
Did our bitcoin died with him??
Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 01, 2021
Callisto1:
VANITY..
Abi! Money is still important sha!
Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by sammysmiles(m): 4:20pm On Jul 01, 2021
The so called bloggers and journalists are more interested in what will happen to his crypto fortune....
A thread for vanity crew to chant upon cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Mircea Popescu, Bitcoin Billionaire Dies After Drowning In Costa Rica Sea by babyfaceafrica: 4:20pm On Jul 01, 2021
That's my problem with crypto
. No. Next of Kin, how can his coin be retrieved?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lady Removes Her Slippers At Diamond Bank In Abia Before Entering Inside (Photos / Jimoh Ibrahim Buys 2017 Rolls Royce For N300m As 50th Birthday Gift (Photo) / Mobile Cook: Man Fries Eggs By Moving From Place To Place

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.