Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,719 members, 7,816,964 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? (2712 Views)

40 Days Variety Of White Beans (cowpeas) And Brown Beans SEEDS Available / White Beans Is Available / How Do I Plant Ewedu ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by heartbraker(m): 4:29am On Jul 03, 2021
I want to plant iron beans and don't kwn if I can plant it now
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by shariff84: 7:48am On Jul 03, 2021
No,till september.you can only plant beans toward the end of the rain like 40days to end of raining season.

1 Like

Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by ozome15(m): 8:21am On Jul 03, 2021
Can it grow in the east
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Alberttahir: 3:16pm On Jul 03, 2021
Is there any pre emergence herbicide that one can use before planting beans?
shariff84:
No,till september.you can only plant beans toward the end of the rain like 40days to end of raining season.
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by barnabas6: 5:14pm On Jul 03, 2021
shariff84:
you re very sound, that is what i want to say. I planted oloyin in 2016 about 5 rubbers and i harvested 51 rubbers but the pale red turn to deep red when i harvested it, by the way i need Your recommendation on which variety of groundnut to plant in SW ( local type) though people buy unshelled gnut but i don't know where they buy it from. thanks
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by heartbraker(m): 9:24am On Jul 04, 2021
barnabas6:
you re very sound, that is what i want to say. I planted oloyin in 2016 about 5 rubbers and i harvested 51 rubbers but the pale red turn to deep red when i harvested it, by the way i need Your recommendation on which variety of groundnut to plant in SW ( local type) though people buy unshelled gnut but i don't know where they buy it from. thanks
what will happen if I plant d beans in July?
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by heartbraker(m): 9:24am On Jul 04, 2021
shariff84:
No,till september.you can only plant beans toward the end of the rain like 40days to end of raining aeason.
what will happen if I plant d beans in july
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Kaylet: 12:58pm On Jul 04, 2021
I'm here to learn
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by barnabas6: 6:54pm On Jul 04, 2021
heartbraker:
what will happen if I plant d beans in July?
it will produce more leaves less pods

1 Like

Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by pat077: 7:11pm On Jul 04, 2021
What crop can one plant with beans that will do well?

1 Like

Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Stephenmoka4(m): 10:03am On Jul 05, 2021
barnabas6:
I planted oloyin in 2016 about 5 rubbers and i harvested 51 rubbers but the pale red turn to deep red when i harvested it
What! 5 rubbers to 51 rubbers. (Pragmatically sounds true but, I read some old comments that beans business doesn't work). I have tried planting a few seeds and the results are like x7 of the seeds. I don't understand why some people said, you'll reap little sowing beans
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by barnabas6: 8:29pm On Jul 05, 2021
Stephenmoka4:
What! 5 rubbers to 51 rubbers. (Pragmatically sounds true but, I read some old comments that beans business doesn't work). I have tried planting a few seeds and the results are like x7 of the seeds. I don't understand why some people said, you'll reap little sowing beans
well, instead of them to find out their errors they would just jump to conclusion.
Apart from this, some people are either attention seeker or those with stereotype believe that it can't grow well in SW nigeria. Infact i'm preparing to plant it in large scale. thanks

1 Like

Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Alberttahir: 7:31am On Jul 06, 2021
Stephenmoka4:
They are wrong. Beans farming is profitable if planted at the right time and properly managed. I did a trial with local variety last year and was amazed at the outcome. Sowed 3 small milk tin of it and got more than five bowl (happy family rubber, the 35ltr type). It was intercrop with cassava and maize. But its harvesting is very stressful once it start drying. Any dried one not harvested will rot if there's rainfall. That's why the planning is very important, just like someone earlier pointed out (planting it 40 days towards the end of the raining season). Plan the planting in a way that there'll be no frequent rainfall on its drying period.

5 Likes

Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Stephenmoka4(m): 7:40am On Jul 06, 2021
Alberttahir and barnabas6, thank you very much for sharing your experience. I'm wowed at the size of the output.

Normally most seed crops do produce many of their type at harvest, it was shocking to read old comments on Nairaland on how negative the results of cultivating beans is.
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Ernerstdavid55(m): 2:08pm On Jul 06, 2021
Beans here i come grin .do i do nursery on it or just plant??
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by SLOVFO(m): 6:08pm On Jul 06, 2021
Alberttahir:

They are wrong. Beans farming is profitable if planted at the right time and properly managed. I did a trial with local variety last year and was amazed at the outcome. Sowed 3 small milk tin of it and got more than five bowl (happy family rubber, the 35ltr type). It was intercrop with cassava and maize. But its harvesting is very stressful once it start drying. Any dried one not harvested will rot if there's rainfall. That's why the planning is very important, just like someone earlier pointed out (planting it 40 days towards the end of the raining season). Plan the planting in a way that there'll be no frequent rainfall on its drying period.

Interesting. So drying and preservation is the limiting factor in the cultivation of beans in the South. What if we pick the beans before the dry and dry them using a dryer of a sort?
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by OluchiDelly: 6:18pm On Jul 06, 2021
Alberttahir:

How did you remove the shell?
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Alberttahir: 7:16am On Jul 07, 2021
OluchiDelly:

How did you remove the shell?
After harvesting it, I spread them in a surface, to sun dried so the damp one can dry for its easy separation from it's shell. After they are dried, I empty it in a sack(big size type), tied the mouth and continually hitting(moderate) the sack with a small size Wood. As u are hitting the sack, the beans will be separating from their shell and settling at the base of the sack while the empty shell will comes up which you can carefully selected from it.
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Alberttahir: 7:26am On Jul 07, 2021
SLOVFO:

Interesting. So drying and preservation is the limiting factor in the cultivation of beans in the South. What if we pick the beans before the dry and dry them using a dryer of a sort?
. Yes, and planting it at the right time. Using a dryer? May be it would work, but it has to be fully mature before harvesting.
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by arcahmad(m): 8:33am On Jul 08, 2021
Ernerstdavid55:
Beans here i come grin .do i do nursery on it or just plant??
grin Hhh you are funny. your comment made me burst in to laughter. Just like the people above me said, it can be planted directly in to the farm ground (by digging a small hole and depositing the seed and closing the hole with little pressure) toward the end of the rainy season. From little knowledge l had about it, it required cold weather to make it fully matured, thats why you see in the north usually the time of beans harvest is hamattan period. I hope this will help.

1 Like

Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Ernerstdavid55(m): 12:52pm On Jul 08, 2021
arcahmad:
grin Hhh you are funny. your comment made me burst in to laughter. Just like the people above me said, it can be planted directly in to the farm ground (by digging a small hole and depositing the seed and closing the hole with little pressure) toward the end of the rainy season. From little knowledge l had about it, it required cold weather to make it fully matured, thats why you see in the north usually the time of beans harvest is hamattan period. I hope this will help.
Tnks grin
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Vl3ly: 3:10pm On Jul 08, 2021
Pls how many seed per hole
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Stephenmoka4(m): 11:00pm On Jul 09, 2021
Vl3ly:
Pls how many seed per hole
2 or 3 seeds
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by elderlyyoungman: 7:47pm On Jul 17, 2021
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by chigomiced: 10:53am On Dec 06, 2021
When did you plant this beans u are talking about here.

Month of the year ni ooo

Thanks

And what state pls

Alberttahir:

Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by Kennyprince: 11:28pm On Dec 06, 2021
No it's late
Re: Can I Plant White Beans Now In The Southwest?? by chigomiced: 9:35pm On Dec 14, 2021
Kennyprince:
No it's late

When is it advisable to plan then

(1) (Reply)

Poultry Farm With Fish Pond For Rent / See The Insect That Can End Your Snail Farming Career: Snail Farmers Beware / Join The Agricultural Project- Updates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.