Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) (46132 Views)

Russia Hits Ukraine With Deadly Waves Of "Suicide Drones" Killing Several People / Several People Arrested In The UK For Protesting Against The Monarchy / Several People Killed In Norway 'bow And Arrow Attack', Police Arrests Suspect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by ogbiwa: 7:09am On Jul 13, 2021
Several people have died after a crane collapsed at a construction site.

The tragic incident, which took place on Monday, saw the crane fall to the ground where people were on the ground nearby.

Police have yet to confirm if those who had died were members of the crew or the public.

Those nearby have been evacuated as the structure has been deemed unsafe.

The development company says there was a "catastrophic failure" on Monday morning when the crane fell into an adjacent building and a home.

The crash, which took place around 10.45am PT (5.45pm GMT), occurred at the downtown Brooklyn building on Bernard Street in British Columbia, Canada.

So far, police have said there have been "multiple confirmed fatalities" but have not included how many people have died.

Three patients were also taken to hospital with "varying injuries".

Inspector Adam MacIntosh also told the media that at least one person is missing - and confirmed that they were not part of the crew.

"It looked like the crane was moving but then I realized that it wasn't moving in a fashion where it was operating, it was coming down," witness Krista Roessing told CBC.

She then described how she called 911 as people rushed from all directions to help.

She added that construction workers asked people to back away and emergency services raced to the scene within minutes.

"It's shocking," she said. "It's pretty hard to process."

Anna Jacyszyn, who works nearby, said she saw a "huge pile of dust" after the cran fell.

"I was literally just praying and crying, because the emotions you get when you know that someone could be hurt is pretty drastic," she said.

The area has been cordoned off for the investigation, with the British Columbia and WorkSafeBC conducting their own reviews into the incident.

Several workers were near the crane when it collapsed, with Insp MacIntosh adding "not all persons have been identified."

He added that "the area remains unstable and unsafe."

A four-block perimeter was evacuated with residents and drivers urged to stay away.

Power was disrupted to downtown and traffic is being rerouted away from the crash.

A structural engineer is studying how to make the area safe again.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-canada-crane-collapse-several-24520999

1 Like

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by ArchitriaWorks: 7:10am On Jul 13, 2021
Eyaa. Sad sad one

6 Likes

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by ChiefSosa(m): 7:11am On Jul 13, 2021
End time crane.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by Baawaa(m): 7:17am On Jul 13, 2021
Canada and disaster this year is something else

16 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by igbarasdynasty: 7:18am On Jul 13, 2021
She added that construction workers asked people to back away and emergency services raced to the scene within minutes . .... cry

RIP to the lost souls.

7 Likes

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by appishani1(m): 7:43am On Jul 13, 2021
that thing kill several people? where are they?

11 Likes

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by ClassicMan202(m): 7:44am On Jul 13, 2021
May their souls rest in peace

I don't care whether you are APC or PDP as far as you follow dey make 9ja unbearable, God go punish you till you die.

Even if you dey support them for here, same judgement go follow you.

82 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by brosom(m): 11:03am On Jul 13, 2021
These are perilous times all over the world,

My condolences to the affected families cry

May their souls find peace!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by VillageHead: 11:03am On Jul 13, 2021
E be like say witches and wizards don remember Canada today!

4 Likes

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by hakym619(m): 11:03am On Jul 13, 2021
sad

1 Like

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by vizkiz: 11:03am On Jul 13, 2021
Construction workers are always taking life threatening risks. RIP to the lost souls
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by NwaNimo1(m): 11:04am On Jul 13, 2021

8 Likes

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by PAWG(m): 11:04am On Jul 13, 2021
Ouch. Such a pity
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by Jeromejnr(m): 11:04am On Jul 13, 2021
Baawaa:
Canada and disaster this year is something else

Burning of Churches, burnt houses, people dying of heat...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by Righteousness2(m): 11:04am On Jul 13, 2021
GOD Have Mercy on the World Inhabitants..

From Continent to Continent and Nation to Nation, the Disaters are just three and four Much..

Folks, these are the Last of last of the Last of the Last of days...
Live Prepared!Live with Eternity in view,,
Eternity Beckons for everyone of us..

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by wwwihy: 11:04am On Jul 13, 2021
What type of crane is this...shit hole North America

1 Like

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by cyrusmillz: 11:04am On Jul 13, 2021
Chai!Canada my country cry
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by Austindark(m): 11:04am On Jul 13, 2021
Whenever I see these high rise construction sites, I get somehow scared. Humans have achieved a lot but they can always make mistakes since they are not God.

4 Likes

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by CruiseMaster1: 11:04am On Jul 13, 2021
So they use substandard materials in America too grin R.I.P to the dead, may you find peace in the beyond
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by id4sho(m): 11:04am On Jul 13, 2021
angry
Saner climes, we are coming for our fellow Nigerians

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by plainpleasant: 11:05am On Jul 13, 2021
RIP
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by Dailymice: 11:05am On Jul 13, 2021
grin
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 13, 2021
The construction sector is one of the most lucrative and job generating sector in Canada, so I heard.

If true, then it could be that the crane has been overused and is now worn out.

Or maybe it was just an unavoidable accident.

Nevertheless, it takes nothing away from the fact that the high-rise building under construction is a very solid one.

RIP to the deceased.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by EmmaLege: 11:05am On Jul 13, 2021
yeeee embarassed
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by goldtube(m): 11:05am On Jul 13, 2021
shocked
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by redcliff: 11:05am On Jul 13, 2021
i had a premonition about this. it was bloody real to me.
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by Sebastine1994(m): 11:05am On Jul 13, 2021
The 48 Laws of Power: Law 46: Never Appear Too Perfect

At least some idiots can console themselves in Nigeria with some bad news. it will humanize Canada too

1 Like

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by Oweku: 11:06am On Jul 13, 2021
cry
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by PataAlhajaKeji(m): 11:06am On Jul 13, 2021
This will never happen in saner climes like my dear country, Nigeria.

No sarcasm, please.

... proudly Naija!

6 Likes

Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by Sirpaul(m): 11:06am On Jul 13, 2021
CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by Queenserah26(f): 11:06am On Jul 13, 2021
May their souls rest in peace
Re: Canada: Crane Collapses At A Building Site, Several People Killed (Photos) by SirSkipPearsons: 11:06am On Jul 13, 2021
Thats too bad...The scene of the accident still looks like nothing even happened.. If it were to be in my country, the eyesore alone will be enough to kill hundreds

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iran's Statement To The United Nations About Its Attack On Israel / Painting Of Donald Trump Kissing Pope Francis (Photos) / Tafari Campbell: Body Of Barack Obama's Missing Personal Chef Found In A Pond

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.