Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,269 members, 7,829,586 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Samuel L. Jackson Traced His Ancestry Back To West- African Country - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Samuel L. Jackson Traced His Ancestry Back To West- African Country (942 Views)

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 / 40 American Students Take Igbo Names After Tracing Ancestry To Igboland / Americans/Canadians Of Igbo Ancestry Storm Anambra, Get Igbo Names, Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samuel L. Jackson Traced His Ancestry Back To West- African Country by OlayemiAshraf(m): 8:02am On Jul 13, 2021
American actor and film producer Samuel L. Jackson received a hero's homecoming in Gabon as he traced his ancestry back to the West African country.

The Hollywood veteran traced the connection through Finding Your Roots, an American docu-series that uses traditional genealogical research and genetics to discover the family history of celebrities.

Jackson is originally from Benga, a tribe of Gabon, he arrived July 23 in Gabon for work and leisure stay in the country he considers to be that of his ancestors.

The Benga tribe is from the group of tribes commonly known as the Bantu spread across Africa.

The Bantu people are the speakers of Bantu languages, comprising several hundred indigenous ethnic groups in sub-Saharan Africa, spread over a vast area from Central Africa across the African Great Lakes to Southern Africa...

Recently Jackson travelled to Gabon, where he met with the president, Ali Bongo Ondimba and his wife, Sylvia Bongo Ondimba.

It was during his meeting with the President that Samuel L. Jackson was given a Gabonese passport. He could soon be appointed Goodwill Ambassador of Gabon in charge of the protection of the environment. He also met with the king of Benga.

In his remarks he indicated that his journey of life has become so clear with the meeting he had with the monarch.

He took to his Instagram saying “When you meet The King of The Benga, your ancestral tribe and he turns out to be your best friend Skeeter!!! When you’re on a journey of discovery and a life choice becomes clear!”

Samuel L. Jackson is currently shooting a six-part documentary series titled Enslaved on the history of the African slave trade.

Some other well-known individuals that have traced their genealogical backgrounds (with the help of DNA analysis) back to Africa include Chris Rock (Cameroon), Whoopi Goldberg (Guinea-Bissau), Common (Cameroon), Chris Tucker (Cameroon, Angola), Oprah Winfrey (Liberia, Guinea).

1 Like

Re: Samuel L. Jackson Traced His Ancestry Back To West- African Country by OlayemiAshraf(m): 8:02am On Jul 13, 2021
Airmark mynd44 ishilove lalasticlala Dominique

Re: Samuel L. Jackson Traced His Ancestry Back To West- African Country by Officialgarri: 8:05am On Jul 13, 2021
And then it's a thing of joy for Africa ... All of a sudden, after 72 years and over 25 years of fame.

I think it's just for image promotion and perhaps a documentary shoot.
Re: Samuel L. Jackson Traced His Ancestry Back To West- African Country by lazkizz(m): 8:15am On Jul 13, 2021
* Life is like a door. Never trust a cow because of Sun

Life is like Buhari , it Never Fails to Disappoint the masses angry

Something that doesn't even make any sense but like sheep they will rush to quote me
Re: Samuel L. Jackson Traced His Ancestry Back To West- African Country by temitope27(m): 9:01am On Jul 13, 2021
Very good,unlike Chadwick baseman of blessed memory that his ancestors are from Yoruba people of nigeria
Re: Samuel L. Jackson Traced His Ancestry Back To West- African Country by PAWG(m): 5:28pm On Jul 13, 2021
I always knew that Samuel Jackson’s nose was African tongue
Re: Samuel L. Jackson Traced His Ancestry Back To West- African Country by meobizy(f): 7:40am On Jul 14, 2021
At first all this unnecessary searching for their roots annoyed me. Now I’ve gotten used to it and stay happy for them. I bet it gives them inner peace to know their heritage.

1 Like

Re: Samuel L. Jackson Traced His Ancestry Back To West- African Country by theFilmtric: 11:14pm On Jul 14, 2021
meobizy:
At first all this unnecessary searching for their roots annoyed me. Now I’ve gotten used to it and stay happy for them. I bet it gives them inner peace to know their heritage.
Knowledge of your roots add value to your mental health

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Our Dress Sense! / Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian, Du We Really Have A Culture/tradition?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.