Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,679 members, 7,813,260 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:50 AM

BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 (971 Views)

Nimc Directs Waec, Neco, Jamb Candidates Below 16 Years To Update Their Nin / Senate Moves To Create University Of Health And Medical Sciences In Suleja / Senate Moves To Scrap Post-UTME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by November1857(m): 9:19am On Jul 13, 2021
EDUCATIONBREAKING: Senate moves to stop JAMB from admitting candidates below 18 years

The Senate Committee on Basic Education has said it would work towards amending the law establishing the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB to stop the board from admitting candidates below the age of 18 years.

This was disclosed on Monday by the Vice Chairman of the committee, Senator Akon Eyakenyi, during the committee’s oversight visit to JAMB.

According to the committee, age has a lot to do with learning ability, particularly in higher institutions.

Senator Akon Eyakenyi noted that education is very important in the development of the country stressing that the sector deserves to be given much attention.

The Senator described the JAMB as a bridge between the secondary and the university, stressing that the agency was a necessary vehicle for the delivery of quality and standard education in Nigeria.

“If the products from the secondary schools are not properly catered for to be assessed before turning them into the university definitely you will have a problem,” she said.

https://dailypost.ng/2021/07/13/senate-moves-to-stop-jamb-from-admitting-candidates-below-18-years/

Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Thewrath(m): 9:21am On Jul 13, 2021
angry
Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Jerryherd: 9:23am On Jul 13, 2021
Why not scrap JAMB and its fraud...

I gained admission at 17 and nothing happened to me, I graduated 4 years later , so what's the big deal

Same people putting age bracket on admission would also turn around to put 28 age cap on Federal Employment and civil service
Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by wetdspace(m): 9:31am On Jul 13, 2021
I’m in support of this.
Though some below 18 do so well but most of the ladies and some guys are always vulnerable of the rots and their immaturity always catch up with them
Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Romanoff(f): 9:32am On Jul 13, 2021
Jerryherd:
Why not scrap JAMB and its fraud...

I gained admission at 17 and nothing happened to me, I graduated 4 years later , so what's the big deal

Same people putting age bracket on admission would also turn around to put 28 age cap on Federal Employment and civil service

I think it's a welcome development. I entered at 16 and graduated at 21. Turned out great but I know many who didn't.

We were three who were the youngest in my class, one followed her older friends to do runs even though her parents are rich, the other guy dropped out in 400 level even though he was part of those topping the class.

His excuse was " I'm still very young, what will I be doing with my life if I leave here". I still don't understand the excuse and only God knows where he is now.

There are countries in the world whose education calendar is in concordance with age so by 18, you're just entering the university.

If the university entrance age is reduced, the whole age limit on job applications will be adjusted.

My thoughts sha.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Jimatu40: 9:34am On Jul 13, 2021
I provide working paypal account that you can you use to send, receive and make payment on any platform that supports PayPal account, that will work well in Nigeria. You can actually enjoy the features and use PayPal in Nigeria perfectly without difficulty, all you need is to know how to use PayPal in Nigeria.I will teach you how to be withdrawing your money from PayPal to your ATM card here in Nigeria, then cash out your money from ATM .

If you need PayPal account you can contact me let deal. My WhatsApp contact is 0-7-0-6-3-3-7-4-1-5-9.
The price is very cheap.
Your satisfaction is my priority
Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Jerryherd: 9:41am On Jul 13, 2021
Romanoff:

I think it's a welcome development. I entered at 16 and graduated at 21. Turned out great but I know many who didn't.

We were three who were the youngest in my class, one followed her older friends to do runs even though her parents are rich, the other guy dropped out in 400 level even though he was part of those topping the class.

His excuse was " I'm still very young, what will I be doing with my life if I leave here". I still don't understand the excuse and only God knows where he is now.

There are countries in the world whose education calendar is in concordance with age so by 18, you're just entering the university.

If the university entrance age is reduced, the whole age limit on job applications will be adjusted.

My thoughts sha.

Well no doubt about that, some under 18 kids might do badly when given freedom at very early stage, I behaved badly but retraced my steps too

I think rather than let kids just seat and rot at home, vocational training sponsored by the government might be introduced, or kids of certain age can be mandated to stay in school hostels monitored by school management

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Romanoff(f): 9:43am On Jul 13, 2021
Jerryherd:

Well no doubt about that, some under 18 kids might do badly when given freedom at very early stage, I behaved badly but retraced my steps too

I think rather than let kids just seat and rot at home, vocational training sponsored by the government might be introduced, or kids of certain age can be mandated to stay in school hostels monitored by school management

They don't need to sit and rot at home if the Ministry of Education is strict on entrance age into nursery schools, then primary and secondary. There should also be an age for entrance into secondary school so that if you rushed your child through Primary school, the pikin go siddon for house with you till e reach the right age.
Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Jerryherd: 9:46am On Jul 13, 2021
Romanoff:

They don't need to sit and rot at home if the Ministry of Education is strict on entrance age into nursery schools, then primary and secondary. There should also be an age for entrance into secondary school so that if you rushed your child through Primary school, the pikin go siddon for house with you till e reach the right age.

That can work also, infact that's a better idea.. That's what they do back then, nursery schools only admit kids after reaching certain age
Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Romanoff(f): 9:48am On Jul 13, 2021
Jerryherd:

That can work also, infact that's a better idea.. That's what they do back then, nursery schools only admit kids after reaching certain age

We need to go back to that pattern.
Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by rosalieene(f): 10:09am On Jul 13, 2021
As they are moving for that, they should also move to put an end to age barriers when searching for a Job.
Access bank accepts 24yrs and below
Most other big companies and firms accept 26yrs and below.

This of course majorly favors those that went to school extremely early.

If not, their move is a stupid one.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Echowas: 10:49am On Jul 13, 2021
That's going to be hard oo. If you get admitted at 18, judging by the strikes in Nigeria, you go graduate by 26 or 27 grin

So from 27, You go use 4 to 5 years find better job grin
Before you open eyes and close am... Pikin don full ground and you still never get any better job.
Then you become a Facebook and nairaland politician grin

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:59am On Jul 13, 2021
A welcome development.lots an adult institution as obtainable everywhere in the world, not some sorts of glorified secondary schools they have turn them into!
Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by robinso01(m): 11:21am On Jul 13, 2021
Romanoff:

My thoughts sha.

And it will reduce the number of graduate and unemployed graduate every year. The more people graduate in a year, the more unemployed people are. My thought though.
Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Nukilia: 12:38pm On Jul 13, 2021
But you can marry a 12 year old girl grin grin Rubbish people that have no plan for their youths

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Nukilia: 12:40pm On Jul 13, 2021
rosalieene:
As they are moving for that, they should also move to put an end to age barriers when searching for Job.
Access bank accepts 24yrs and below
Most other big companies and firms accept 26yrs and below.

This of course majorly favors those that went to school extremely early.

If not, their move is a stupid one.

Welcome to the backward nation called Nigeria

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Obc1234(m): 1:15pm On Jul 13, 2021
This year own should not be among please they should start next year
Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Harddiskng(m): 2:35pm On Jul 13, 2021
While world is still celebrating a child that graduated with a physics degree at 11, with his Msc in Physics already.

What kind of humans do we elect into power in Nigeria.

They are so persistent about pushing us backward, it is beyond any rationality.

Re: BREAKING: Senate Moves To Stop JAMB From Admitting Candidates Below 18 by Homosapiens20x: 4:19pm On Jul 13, 2021
This is not necessary at all

(1) (Reply)

Islamic Group Blasts Akwa Ibom Govt For Fixing Exams On Salah Day / . / Taking A Stride With Excellence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.