Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,533 members, 7,812,656 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please (8978 Views)

Is Quitting A Good Idea? Opinions Will Be Appreciated / Career Switch: I Need Your Advice / Career Switch Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by summerB: 1:57pm On Jul 13, 2021
Hello � Good Day

Please Help, I don't know what to do.

I am a graduate of office technology and management ( HND ) and now thinking of going into nursing.

My the Grace Of God I am looking at migrating to canada or UK 2023, but then I need to do something that will enable me get job there, like getting job from home country Nigeria, like nurses do with the help of agencies.

I started looking into nursing profession. I enrolled in a tutorial and started taking science subjects. I'll be writing the upcoming waec.

I choose nursing because I felt it's easy to find job over there. But it will take me years to study, plus I gave no science background. and I have to go leave in the school during this period. I'm in my 30's married with kids

What course can I take up on that will be easy for me to get job abroad with my HND certificate?

This gives me sleepness night and makes me think alot. It's really affecting my mental health.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by EdoFirstBorn(m): 1:59pm On Jul 13, 2021
Nursing is as good as it gets in either country but try and ensure you get your nursing license here even after graduating as a nurse.

Cheers and good speed

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Nehyooh(m): 2:59pm On Jul 13, 2021
Truly nursing is a lucrative profession in abroad, so it wouldn't be a bad idea switching career. But do you know nursing is 3years+ program in this country ? Considering the fact that you intend traveling by 2023. Also you're married, how do you intend to do it ? Will you be traveling with your family or you alone ?
I think you've got to reason on these things before you make conclusion.

N.B: HND can definitely get you a good job in Canada or UK.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Gaddafi1: 5:02pm On Jul 14, 2021
The bitter truth is that your HND certificate in office technology may not fetch you a good job outside the country unless you will further your education and acquire more skills. Most of what was taught in school are not very relevant in developed world as technology has so much advanced in those region.
Studying nursing is your best bet though having no science background may be a limitation but with hardwork and diligence success will come your way.
A friend of mine travelled to UK only to realise that the technology used in teaching her geology in Nigeria is very outdated and irrelevant in the industry.

5 Likes

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by ORAFA(m): 5:02pm On Jul 14, 2021
Follow your heart

1 Like

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 14, 2021
It takes a lot of courage to take that step, but whatever you decide, make sure you leave room to make money to care for your family while you study cos they shouldn't be made to suffer too much.

Also remember that even with your nursing certificate, you would be required to have some work experience in most cases, so consider it well before doing it. It is a bold step and I wish you all the best.

3 Likes

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by ednut1(m): 5:04pm On Jul 14, 2021
Tech is easier, easy to learn and can be done online. If your husband is rich and can take care of the bills you can do the nursing too. Or learn french to get more points for canada express entry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by jomoh: 5:04pm On Jul 14, 2021
Far better

Office tech management is a useless outdated course still being offered in nigeria. Apart from the organisation if office and meetings(can be collapsed into other courses) almost all their curriculum can be obtained/learnt without going to school for it.

2 Likes

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by peteradamu: 5:05pm On Jul 14, 2021
Nursing will be a better option

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by GoodFaith: 5:05pm On Jul 14, 2021
summerB:
Hello � Good Day

I am a graduate of office technology and management ( HND ) and now thinking of going into nursing.

My the Grace Of God I am looking at migrating to canada or UK 2023, but then I need to do something that will enable me get job there, like getting job from home country Nigeria, like nurses do with the help of agencies.

I started looking into nursing profession. I enrolled in a tutorial and started taking science subjects. I'll be writing the upcoming waec.

I choose nursing because I felt it's easy to find job over there. But it will take me years to study, plus I gave no science background. and I have to go leave in the school during this period. I'm in my 30's married with kids

What course can I take up on that will be easy for me to get job abroad with my HND certificate?

This gives me sleepness night and makes me think alot. It's really affecting my mental health.

Are you trying to make yourself marketable to Nigerians guys in US, Canada and Egland

1 Like

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Labadi69: 5:06pm On Jul 14, 2021
Gaddafi1:
A

See this one dey book space come type A. Wetin you wan use FTC do at your age oga? angry

2 Likes

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Fresh34: 5:06pm On Jul 14, 2021
Since your future depends on this in most cases, then its better you choose wisely..you can switch if only you believes its in your own best interest and you can cope well with it.
Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Monogamy: 5:06pm On Jul 14, 2021
shocked

Information technology is one of the lucrative jobs in the world now..
Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Thinktwicemybro: 5:06pm On Jul 14, 2021
Nursing is more preferable. But I wonder how many waec you wrote that you will be able to switch from tech to medical

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by malkomchris: 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2021
Very good idea, future guaranteed
Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Oxtertee(m): 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2021
Why not try financial course you could easily blend in with ur commerce background rather than starting a nursing career afresh, my elder brother also graduated as an office manager worked in various capacity, Secretary of a financial institution and also as an executive assistant at a law firm and later proceed for his masters at Unilag where he studied business administration. I myself also studied office technology and management from The Polytechnic, Ibadan. So OP, I will advice you go for a commercial course.

1 Like

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by OakConsultNG: 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2021
Good move..
Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by McOluOmo: 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2021
F
Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by micheal933(m): 5:07pm On Jul 14, 2021
yes oooooo!!!!
Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jul 14, 2021
Great idea.

Nursing is one of the few professions that cannot be affected by economic recessions.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by ignis: 5:09pm On Jul 14, 2021
When people decide to study courses not because of passion for the course but because they want to get a job, then you know there is a problem.

When the likes of Op becomes a nurse, the lives of innocent patients are at stake because condition made him a nurse and not interest or passion.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by F2better1: 5:09pm On Jul 14, 2021
sad
Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Shokoloko(f): 5:10pm On Jul 14, 2021
summerB:
Hello � Good Day

Before you go back to school check your crs scores (google crs calculator) and find out your score, If your wife is much younger with two certificates let her also check her crs scores and see who has a higher score. Basically do your research first. It might be easier to get to Canada first and then attend nursing school there
Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Hawkler: 5:10pm On Jul 14, 2021
You can change just have good plans and set a goal, because Healthcare and it related courses are really selling now especially in diapora. Pls go for it.
Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Starseed(m): 5:10pm On Jul 14, 2021
It is the best decision owing to your chances of getting internship in Nigeria and your unlimited options of working abroad with mouth-watering salaries (in pounds and dollars).

Chase your nursing dream as though Buhari has denied you 3 square meals. Go for it. The sky is your starting point. Good luck to you
Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by kolnel: 5:11pm On Jul 14, 2021
yes!
especially if you are passionate about caring for others.
nurses make good money everywhere. alternatively, you can look into IT.
best of luck

1 Like

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Bigajeff(m): 5:11pm On Jul 14, 2021
Migrate to Canada first if you have the opportunity, find any Job to take care of yourself their for the main time before you consider any switching because your nursing career will be more lucrative over there in time of training you'll get over there and you never can tell, office technology might pay off over there if luck fall on you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by TCD: 5:12pm On Jul 14, 2021
Its the best idea if you want to japa.
There is a huge demand for nurses in countries like the US and UK.

Nurses even get jobs in the UK from Nigeria and the hospitals sponsor their visa.

1 Like

Re: Career Switch? Is It A Good Idea? Advice Me Please by Obakashdee(m): 5:15pm On Jul 14, 2021
OP you better change ASAP, even me as a physiotherapist, I’m considering doing going to nursing school if I’m not able to secure a job in UK this year, change to Nursing with immediate alacrity if you want to enter UK with ease
summerB:
Hello � Good Day

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Business Ideas And Promotion Whatsapp Group / Best Place To Start A Career? / Should This Make Me To Quit My Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.