Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,916 members, 7,835,062 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director (35687 Views)

First Bank Appoints 5 New Directors As Otedola Takes Over / Fidelity Bank Appoints Nneka Onyeali-Ikpe As New MD / Oyeyimika Adeboye, Cadbury Nigeria First Female Managing Director In 50 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by lekzhy601: 10:25pm On Jul 14, 2021
Firstbank MD is a veterinarian
FreeStuffsNG:

The Chairman of Access Bank is a Pharmacist.
Excellence is a universal language yet it's a choice to some people but not negotiable to few outliers who break barriers and set records.

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Godisfaithful: 10:29pm On Jul 14, 2021
nairavsdollars:
We need a woman President

...But not Huasa/Fulani Female President. Affliction shall not rise again, Please!

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Awoleesu(m): 10:30pm On Jul 14, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

I think you should read her profile again sir.
You probably missed the part where it was stated that she's done an MBA in finance and accounting followed by over 20 years of unblemished professional service in technical capacities in the bank. She joined Gtb in 1998 when most folks here were much younger.
I am not sure the issue is about comparing their roles. Their official titles alone says it. I just referenced Dr. Awosika because she's a woman and a Pharmacist. Please let's celebrate our women sir, especially those who earn accolades on merit like this new Gtb MD sir.
I note your point with due reverence...
It's also remarkable to celebrate success (beyond the genders).
But if we were to do an academic exercise; an MBA is not an academic Masters, and as such may have its curriculum designed to accommodate 'experienced managers' - this program often brush-through what the students are supposedly familiar with.
Having said that, an undergraduate program in any field is considered thorough and directed at preparing professionals/executives who would use their learning to propel their fields/industry.

Juxtaposing a BPharm holder climbing the ladder in Banking simply because she possessed an MBA with say a BSc Financial Studies holder heading a Pharmaceutical company (even if he holds a PGD in the Health Sciences) helps to provide a good grasp of the picture of this argument.

But, since this is Naija where competence is a secondary consideration in making appointments, I can't but wish the Woman a successful tenure...

BTW no be she dey trade divorce papers with her husband recently?

5 Likes

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by edoairways: 10:30pm On Jul 14, 2021
AngelicDamsel:
Banking and Finance course na scam.

There is no complexity in banking anymore, everything is now being computerized. A basic knowledge of computer operation is all you need.
Who told banking and finance restricted to just banking? Have you heard of CFA?
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 14, 2021
With which drug products?
tafat:
congrats to her, meanwhile naija my country, this woman na Pharmacist o grin

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Awoleesu(m): 10:33pm On Jul 14, 2021
Plead:

Top brass? What of CEO?

Top Brass is a Collective Noun...
Anyone in the ranks of Decision Makers is in the Top Brass.

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jul 14, 2021
Awoleesu:

My friend, understand the difference between a Chairman and MD:

Chairman is basically a shareholder and non-functionary in daily business of an organization.

Managing Director is the top brass official of the organization. S/he works (and is paid salary) in the organization, resuming daily to see that the organization functions as expected.

Now, the argument about the technical fit or competence of an MD comes to play here, where a trained pharmacist (not sure she still practices tho) is made superintendent over trained finance experts!
This has been an age long argument. In most Nigerian financial institutions, you're very likely to find an up from 90% manning units they weren't primarily trained for...

Chairmen most times is ceremonial, he doesn't have to be majority shareholder, when there is corporate governance abuse, the regulators(cbn) appoint notable people to oversee governance. Correct me if I am wrong

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by FreeStuffsNG: 10:38pm On Jul 14, 2021
Awoleesu:

But if we were to do an academic exercise, an MBA is not an academic Masters, and as such may have its curriculum designed to accommodate 'experienced managers' - this program often brush-through what the student are already familiar with.
Having said that, an undergraduate program in any field is considered thorough and directed at preparing professionals/executives who would use their learning to propel their fields/industry.

Juxtaposing a BPharm holder climbing the ladder in Banking simply because she possessed an MBA with say a BSc Financial Studies holder heading a Pharmaceutical company (even if he holds a PGD in the Health Sciences) helps to provide a good grasp of the picture of this argument.

But, since this is Naija where competence is a secondary consideration in making appointments, I can't but wish the Woman a successful tenure...

Sir, the current Head of Bank of England , Andrew Bailey ,studied History.

Financial sector is for anyone with the basic academic qualification who can meet the training to become a professional in that field. For example, with as basic as O level results, you can start ATS and pass all the way to become a Chartered Accountant even without seeing the 4 walls of a university sir. You don't need to study Accounting to become a Chartered Accountant but courses like Pharmacy are more in-depth in training, require more years, higher bar of entry because of the lives of most people that will be at stake. I don't think this appointment is anyway different from the appointment of an Historian as the No. 1 Banker in England sir.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Bailey_(banker)

4 Likes

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Blackdisciple(m): 10:40pm On Jul 14, 2021
coolcharm:
Oya na... Pharmacist don become M.D of GTB o.

Chinedu is still struggling with ICAN while Amaka is whiling away time studying Banking and Finance.

I come in peace o.

What she graduated with was make e be say I graduate but Pharmacy wasn't her field.

I have a friend who graduated from one of the prestigious university in Nigeria with bachelor of science but today he is an administrator.

When he got admitted into the university science wasn't his field but just because that was the department available then he accepted it later in future he diverted to his field of study.

If banking and finance was her field of study the pharmacy cert she is having was just a stepping stone.

NB: Never underestimate what you believe in.

2 Likes

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Lama70(m): 10:40pm On Jul 14, 2021
GTB has seen difficulties recently. The bank used to be the first among equals. From customer relations to new banking innovations.
The general plague of every unguarded capitalist is catching up with them. From underpayment of staff to overworking them. I learnt the IT handlers resigned en mass recently. There is no permanent champion but current champion. It seems to me that their time is almost gone.
Hope other companies involved in the exploitation of her workers would learn and do the needful. Peace.

2 Likes

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Awoleesu(m): 10:42pm On Jul 14, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

Sir, the current Head of Bank of England , Andrew Bailey ,studied History.

Financial sector is for anyone with the basic academic qualification who can meet the training to become a professional in that field. For example, with as basic as O level results, you can start ATS and pass all the way to become a Chartered Accountant even without seeing the 4 walls of a university sir. You don't need to study Accounting to become a Chartered Accountant but courses like Pharmacy are more in-depth in training, require more years, higher bar of entry because of the lives of most people that will be at stake. I don't think this appointment is anyway different from the appointment of an Historian as the No. 1 Banker in England sir.

Thanks Sir/Ma (not sure the right prefix) for engaging me positively.
I appreciate your line of thoughts.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by FreeStuffsNG: 10:47pm On Jul 14, 2021
Awoleesu:

Thank Sir/Ma (not sure the right prefix) for engaging me positively.
I appreciate your line of thoughts.
You are welcome sir. I thank you too sir.
It's refreshing getting your perspectives too. I particularly love the way you express your thoughts clearly and decently. I am a male servant at FreeStuffsNG sir wink Good night.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Awoleesu(m): 10:47pm On Jul 14, 2021
Icumsa45:

Chairmen most times is ceremonial, he doesn't have to be majority shareholder, when there is corporate governance abuse, the regulators(cbn) appoint notable people to oversee governance. Correct me if I am wrong

You're right sir
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Awoleesu(m): 10:51pm On Jul 14, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:
You are welcome sir. I thank you too sir.
It's refreshing getting your perspectives too. I particularly love the way you express your thoughts clearly and decently. I am a male servant at FreeStuffsNG sir wink Good night.

May God bless you and lift you to greater heights (you'll be a "male CEO" by the Grace of God) smiley

See more of you here. My respects Sir.

2 Likes

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by heniford2: 11:00pm On Jul 14, 2021
VillagePipu:

Your mother that has been nicknamed Cash and carry, what does she have to show for her own hoeing?
ur useless family that has been a maid to the hoe system what has they been able to achieve you born by mistake hope ur aware your an excellent mistake of a child to ur hoe mother the innocent man called ur father is not aware ur not his child, idiot
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by FreeStuffsNG: 11:02pm On Jul 14, 2021
Awoleesu:

May God bless you and lift you to greater heights (you'll be a "male CEO" by the Grace of God) smiley

See more of you here. My respects Sir.
Amin. Thank you so very much sir.

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by heniford2: 11:02pm On Jul 14, 2021
shadrach77:

Aren't you silly to make this kind of statement? Can't you just celebrate people?
did you not see congrats haba!! Was that not celebrate, oh because I said she's a hoe an't she?
undecided
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by xcuggsm(m): 11:04pm On Jul 14, 2021
For continued patronage of GT and the sanity of the Nigerian banking industry, I hope she doesn't look like this! => undecided

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by cletusjnr(m): 11:09pm On Jul 14, 2021
coolcharm:

Chinedu is still struggling with ICAN while Amaka is whiling away time studying Banking and Finance.

I come in peace o.

This ie not fair na. ICAN don tire person self

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by BabaO2: 11:31pm On Jul 14, 2021
cocolacec:

She is not Yoruba. Her full name is Miriam Chidiebere Olusanya.Her husband is Abiodun Olusanya.
probably her mum is not yoruba @miriam
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by OpeyemiOT(m): 11:34pm On Jul 14, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

Excellence is a universal language yet it's a choice to some people but not negotiable to few outliers who break barriers and set records.

Damn, this statement is thought provoking. Thank you for this.

3 Likes

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Kinzo0917(m): 11:59pm On Jul 14, 2021
nairavsdollars:
We need a woman President
. I 100% concur with you. Since we men has failed, I believe we should try you women. Women are more caring and loving
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by abbey621(m): 12:03am On Jul 15, 2021
Olusanya graduated from the University of Ibadan (UI) with a Bachelors degree in Pharmacy and obtained a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) (majoring in Finance and Accounting) from the University of Liverpool.

Just get that first degree in anything even poopoology, as long as you are determined to study further you can achieve any position in Nigeria, stop suffering yourselves with the trials and tribulations of ordinary bachelors degree, focus on the bigger price. 20 years of experience and one or two advanced degrees and look at her now, her fellow pharmacists can't even shine her shoes....Bravo woman, bravo!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by FreeStuffsNG: 12:23am On Jul 15, 2021
abbey621:

Just get that first degree in anything even poopoology, as long as you are determined to study further you can achieve any position in Nigeria, stop suffering yourselves with the trials and tribulations of ordinary bachelors degree, focus on the bigger price. 20 years of experience and one or two advanced degrees and look at her now, her fellow pharmacists can't even shine her shoes....Bravo woman, bravo!
Please don't do that sir. In fact, settling for less in anything in life is the beginning of failure especially when it comes as a result of low self esteem. Those who go to UNILAG, OAU, UNN, ABU and UI, to study lucrative courses and finish well do not have two heads. If you can, please study very good course in a prestigious university. It really matters to employers of A list organisations. The top is not crowded and none of her Pharmacist mates will be shining her shoes because they are champions too, in fact ,some will already be in the Directorate cadre now and some own big time pharmaceutical companies.

Please read the book "The Outliers " by Malcolm Gladwell. It tells you that those milestones she had in her background significantly gave her edge that most of her primary and secondary school mates didn't meet up with. She was the Treasurer of the bank for almost 10 years, according to her profile. It sure says a lot about her .
Every serious minded and disciplined Nigerian young woman out there just got another public role model .

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by miqos02(m): 12:25am On Jul 15, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Masterito(m): 12:26am On Jul 15, 2021
Did see she is an MBA holder?
FreeStuffsNG:

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Asour: 12:42am On Jul 15, 2021
coolcharm:

I come in peace o.

Hahahaha!

This is senior leadership.
You don't have to be an accountant to lead a bank.
Professionals do the actual job. The leader provides
Supervisory/strategic direction.

Besides the same is also true in Pharma.
One of the largest Pharmaceutical companies in Africa — Aspen — has been led /founded by Stephen Saad, himself an accountant. Does he produce the drugs?

Nigeria's own Fidson pharmaceuticals was created by Fidelis Ayebae who is a Civil Engineer by training.
He still leads the company today.

I heard Erastus Akingbola wasn't a graduate.
He founded and ran a bank. Although it later faltered for other reasons.

Congratulations to the lady though.

3 Likes

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by vickydevoka(m): 12:47am On Jul 15, 2021
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 15, 2021
AngelicDamsel:
Banking and Finance course na scam.

There is no complexity in banking anymore, everything is now being computerized. A basic knowledge of computer operation is all you need.

Computer operations.

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Asour: 1:01am On Jul 15, 2021
Awoleesu:

But if we were to do an academic exercise, an MBA is not an academic Masters, and as such may have its curriculum designed to accommodate 'experienced managers' - this program often brush-through what the student are already familiar with.

This is not always true.

I.e. Assessing competence based solely on one's first degree.

Aspen is one of Africa's (Homegrown) Largest Pharmaceutical companies.
It was founded(not just the MD) by Stephen Saad. He is an accountant.

You may say that is South African.
In Nigeria, Fidson Pharmaceuticals, another successful firm, was founded by Fidelis Ayebae. He is a trained Civil Engineer.
Erastus Akingbola founded & led a bank in the early 2000s. He wasn't a university graduate (not bashing him. He probably has done greater than I'll may do).

My point: Truly Great people define their professions. They transcend it. Conversely anyone who is purely defined [just] by boundaries of his/her profession, is/would be limited in life.

Ask yourself, were those who drew up the first university BPharmacy degree curriculum Pharmacist themselves?

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by abbey621(m): 1:02am On Jul 15, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

Please don't do that sir. In fact, settling for less in anything in life is the beginning of failure especially when it comes as a result of low self esteem. Those who go to UNILAG, OAU, UNN, ABU and UI, to study lucrative courses and finish well do not have two heads. If you can, please study very good course in a prestigious university. It really matters to employers of A list organisations. The top is not crowded and none of her Pharmacist mates will be shining her shoes because they are champions too, in fact ,some will already be in the Directorate cadre now and some own big time pharmaceutical companies.

Please read the book "The Outliers " by Malcolm Gladwell. It tells you that those milestones she had in her background significantly gave her edge that most of her primary and secondary school mates didn't meet up with. She was the Treasurer of the bank for almost 10 years, according to her profile. It sure says a lot about her .
Every serious minded and disciplined Nigerian young woman out there just got another public role model .

This is the problem with most of you on this forum, you operate on theories and not enough real life experience, how many of those who studied in Unilag/UI/OAU etc are languishing in unemployment/underemployment or have gone into business? In a sane world, how does a pharmacist end up in leadership position at a big bank? We are talking about 9ja you're here quoting a book written by someone that does not know the dynamics of the Nigerian workforce.

Why would a pharmacist work at a bank? Who hired her? Did they overlook her first degree? What was the hiring criteria? Once you understand the answers to these questions, you would know why I said even if you studied poopoology it does not matter in 9ja, your second degree can open doors your first degree could not. Your connections can open doors even if those doors were sealed with bulletproof titanium steel.

Furthermore the shinning of shoes comment reflects what happens to most Nigerian graduates by tsatistics, 20% or less get a good paying job, 50% end up getting a mediocre or average paying job after 2-3 years and the remaining are forced to abandon their fields or remain jobless. This is reality not the theoretical principles some books try to deceive us with. If I had known these earlier I wouldn't have bothered with Computer science as my first degree, I would have taken the easier route and studied mass communication or some anywhere belle face degree because it truly didn't matter, nowadays employers look at my higher degrees and completely ignore the bachelors.

4 Likes

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by FORWARDEVERLY: 1:02am On Jul 15, 2021
Quota system MD...
Didn't get there on merit but cos of Gender equality..
Nonsense and feminized woke generation..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

United States, EU Report Nigeria To World Trade Organization. / How Can I Be A Distributor Of Lever Brothers Products Or Pz / Why We Put Made In China, Italy On Our Shoes – Ariariashoemakers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.