Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,714 members, 7,831,255 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director (35677 Views)

First Bank Appoints 5 New Directors As Otedola Takes Over / Fidelity Bank Appoints Nneka Onyeali-Ikpe As New MD / Oyeyimika Adeboye, Cadbury Nigeria First Female Managing Director In 50 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Moutine(m): 2:13am On Jul 15, 2021
embarassed
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by utorrent(m): 2:15am On Jul 15, 2021
Wow! Congratulations Ma,
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by lekonso: 2:38am On Jul 15, 2021
Tomilola360:

Number 1 where? Their glory days are over
Shut up your dirty mouth, Nigerian men have disappointed us in managing our national resources and in even in the corporate industry. We need to test our women if they will take to us to the promised land. The new GTBank MD must have been a very honest and dependable staff over the years. Congrats to her.
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by CaptainFM1: 2:54am On Jul 15, 2021
nairavsdollars:
We need a woman President

It won't be a bad idea. I will vote her if she has the capacity and competency to deliver. Men has failed us too much in this country.
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by wany(f): 4:57am On Jul 15, 2021
Awoleesu:

I note your point with due reverence...
It's also remarkable to celebrate success (beyond the genders).
But if we were to do an academic exercise, an MBA is not an academic Masters, and as such may have its curriculum designed to accommodate 'experienced managers' - this program often brush-through what the student are already familiar with.
Having said that, an undergraduate program in any field is considered thorough and directed at preparing professionals/executives who would use their learning to propel their fields/industry.

Juxtaposing a BPharm holder climbing the ladder in Banking simply because she possessed an MBA with say a BSc Financial Studies holder heading a Pharmaceutical company (even if he holds a PGD in the Health Sciences) helps to provide a good grasp of the picture of this argument.

But, since this is Naija where competence is a secondary consideration in making appointments, I can't but wish the Woman a successful tenure...

BTW no be she dey trade divorce papers with her husband recently?
Her personal life should not be your business but her achievements in life.nne weldone dearie you have done well and a standard for the girl child. undecided
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by mrBlunt(m): 5:00am On Jul 15, 2021
buragidi:
No chartered status? Too bad.

Only her academic qualifications were mentioned. If you could get her full profile, you would see that, at minimum, she must be a Chartered Banker (CIBN). This is part of the basic requirements to even be a bank branch manager let alone overall MD.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by middlebelter(m): 5:01am On Jul 15, 2021
Tomilola360:

Number 1 where? Their glory days are over

This comment is in bad taste. There's no brand without it's own challenges.

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Pavore9: 5:19am On Jul 15, 2021
Awoleesu:

I note your point with due reverence...
It's also remarkable to celebrate success (beyond the genders).
But if we were to do an academic exercise, an MBA is not an academic Masters, and as such may have its curriculum designed to accommodate 'experienced managers' - this program often brush-through what the student are already familiar with.
Having said that, an undergraduate program in any field is considered thorough and directed at preparing professionals/executives who would use their learning to propel their fields/industry.

Juxtaposing a BPharm holder climbing the ladder in Banking simply because she possessed an MBA with say a BSc Financial Studies holder heading a Pharmaceutical company (even if he holds a PGD in the Health Sciences) helps to provide a good grasp of the picture of this argument.

But, since this is Naija where competence is a secondary consideration in making appointments, I can't but wish the Woman a successful tenure...

BTW no be she dey trade divorce papers with her husband recently?

What has her marital life/status got to do with her professional capacity or her recent appointment?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by ibidapko(m): 5:54am On Jul 15, 2021
grin
xcuggsm:
For continued patronage of GT and the sanity of the Nigerian banking industry, I hope she doesn't look like this! => undecided
grin grin What has her shape got to do with the job?
Will her shape make CBN to bend it's banking supervisory role to favour GT?
Relax bro, the combination of beauty and intelligence doesn't come cheap.
CONGRATS TO HER!
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Tomilola360: 6:57am On Jul 15, 2021
lekonso:

Shut up your dirty mouth, Nigerian men have disappointed us in managing our national resources and in even in the corporate industry. We need to test our women if they will take to us to the promised land. The new GTBank MD must have been a very honest and dependable staff over the years. Congrats to her.

Go kill ursef na
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by FreeStuffsNG: 7:05am On Jul 15, 2021
abbey621:

This is the problem with most of you on this forum, you operate on theories and not enough real life experience, how many of those who studied in Unilag/UI/OAU etc are languishing in unemployment/underemployment or have gone into business? In a sane world, how does a pharmacist end up in leadership position at a big bank? We are talking about 9ja you're here quoting a book written by someone that does not know the dynamics of the Nigerian workforce.

Why would a pharmacist work at a bank? Who hired her? Did they overlook her first degree?

What was the hiring criteria? Once you understand the answers to these questions, you would know why I said even if you studied poopoology it does not matter in 9ja, your second degree can open doors your first degree could not. Your connections can open doors even if those doors were sealed with bulletproof titanium steel.

Furthermore the shinning of shoes comment reflects what happens to most Nigerian graduates by tsatistics, 20% or less get a good paying job, 50% end up getting a mediocre or average paying job after 2-3 years and the remaining are forced to abandon their fields or remain jobless. This is reality not the theoretical principles some books try to deceive us with. If I had known these earlier I wouldn't have bothered with Computer science as my first degree, I would have taken the easier route and studied mass communication or some anywhere belle face degree because it truly didn't matter, nowadays employers look at my higher degrees and completely ignore the bachelors.

Sir, in life , it's what you focus on that expands. Success always leaves a trail. If you do what successful people do, you are more likely to end where they ended, regardless of your gender . And if you do the opposite of what they do, you are more likely to end where unsuccessful people end. I am sure that you missed the part where I reminded all knowing folks like you that there is nothing unusual if you don't even attend a university and become a bank M.D. as a Chartered Accountant because with basic o level, you can start ATS and pass all the way to chartered level.

And contrary to the condescending way you made it sound like it's insane that she merited it, in another 'insane ' country called England, the number one banker is a Historian! Andrew Bailey did not even study a numerate course, he studied the art of History. Yet today, the No. 1 banker in the UK and the person who oversees the monetary policy on on of the strongest currencies in the world! With History o!
Why UNILAG, OAU, UNN, UI and ABU, attend those schools and study top courses there first sir. The taste of the pudding is in the eating. To the young folks, don't listen to anyone telling you that you should settle for less in life, especially decisions on your life. The top is not crowded, only the bottom is . Go for the top! What is paining misogynists is not her illustrious professional background, it's the fact that the person who merited it is a woman!

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by StreetFight: 7:10am On Jul 15, 2021
How did Mrs Awosika the First Bank Chairperson end up? She wanted to run the bank down before CBN kicked her ass off. She allowed Oba Otudeko, a serial thief and corporate looter to harass and arm twist her.
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Awoleesu(m): 7:36am On Jul 15, 2021
Pavore9:

What has her marital life/status got to do with her professional capacity or her recent appointment?
Nothing! sad
And nothing in my query suggests your view... cool
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by meetirimiya: 7:37am On Jul 15, 2021
tafat:
congrats to her, meanwhile naija my country, this woman na Pharmacist o grin
This woman in question yes she is a Pharmacist, but do you also know that she practiced pharmacy for only 2 years after graduation? If you don't know, know it today the whole of her career which span over 20years is in banking industry (GTB). She graduated in 1995, worked briefly with GSK after service for 2 years, from 1998 took up employment with GTB till date....she has further developed herself along the banking industry with a master in business administration and other professional courses in banking

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Awoleesu(m): 7:46am On Jul 15, 2021
wany:

Her personal life should not be your business but her achievements in life.nne weldone dearie you have done well and a standard for the girl child. undecided

You know, I'm familiar with your type.
You find it convenient to note a remark that is odd and quickly adjudge it without paying good attention to the details and/or intentions of the one who made the remarks...

So, had it been I'd asked; "is she not the fellow who bagged a 1st class honor from UI in 2005?"... Would you have said the same thing you said here?
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Awoleesu(m): 7:49am On Jul 15, 2021
Asour:

This is not always true.

I.e. Assessing competence based solely on one's first degree.

Aspen is one of Africa's (Homegrown) Largest Pharmaceutical companies.
It was founded(not just the MD) by Stephen Saad. He is an accountant.

You may say that is South African.
In Nigeria, Fidson Pharmaceuticals, another successful firm, was founded by Fidelis Ayebae. He is a trained Civil Engineer.
Erastus Akingbola founded & led a bank in the early 2000s. He wasn't a university graduate (not bashing him. He probably has done greater than I'll may do).

My point: Truly Great people define their professions. They transcend it. Conversely anyone who is purely defined [just] by boundaries of his/her profession, is/would be limited in life.

Ask yourself, were those who drew up the first university BPharmacy degree curriculum Pharmacist themselves?

You've made a robust case for exceptions... And it's duly noted.
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by everythinggirly(f): 8:10am On Jul 15, 2021
Wow
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by hardbody: 8:14am On Jul 15, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

https://nairametrics.com/2021/07/14/mariam-olusanya-appointed-managing-director-of-gtbank/

She studied Pharmacy ooo. Later some dummies will come here and be castigating every manner of degrees and even telling you some courses are not worth studying.

My position remains, go to school, make a good grade, pursue your side hustle, when the time comes, you will key in.

Luck is when preparedness meets with opportunity. If you are not prepared and an opportunity comes, luck will not do anything. So as they used to say in the Boys Scout movement, "Be Prepared"

Some will never hear.
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by hardbody: 8:18am On Jul 15, 2021
meetirimiya:

This woman in question yes she is a Pharmacist, but do you also know that she practiced pharmacy for only 2 years after graduation? If you don't know, know it today the whole of her career which span over 20years is in banking industry (GTB). She graduated in 1995, worked briefly with GSK after service for 2 years, from 1998 took up employment with GTB till date....she has further developed herself along the banking industry with a master in business administration and other professional courses in banking

She got employed with a B.Pharm degree. This to me is what counts. Even if she studied Botany or Microbiology, she could as well have positioned herself with that first degree. Every degree from a recognized university counts.

2 Likes

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by seguno2: 8:29am On Jul 15, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:
The Nigerian woman is making us proud! From Fidelity Bank to Unity Bank to FCMB and now Nigeria's No. 1 bank, the most admired bank; GTbank!!
Congratulations to all our adorable mothers, wives, sisters and daughters out there making up proud. Loads of love to you from us all at FreeStuffsNG. May God bless you all.
You can earn it because you have what it takes to merit it, so do not allow anyone born of a woman to put you down because of your gender.

Good that you excluded the former First Bank chairperson who helped Oba Otudeko wreck the bank.
Good.
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by phemmyfour: 9:02am On Jul 15, 2021
coolcharm:
Oya na... Pharmacist don become M.D of GTB o.

Chinedu is still struggling with ICAN while Amaka is whiling away time studying Banking and Finance.

I come in peace o.
obtained a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) (majoring in Finance and Accounting) from the University of Liverpool.
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by iamdapsyj(m): 9:17am On Jul 15, 2021
heniford2:
So many hoe price was made to reach that level anyway congrats to the next level of hoeing

Not everyone is like that please.
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Oracleforce: 9:32am On Jul 15, 2021
nairavsdollars:
We need a woman President

God forbid....
Tueh....

Una too dey keep malice....and una keep plenty wahala....
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Damson22: 9:34am On Jul 15, 2021
University of ibadan to the world. Unibadan rule while others follow........

Congratulations ma'am, keep the flag flying grin grin
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Oracleforce: 9:35am On Jul 15, 2021
phemmyfour:
obtained a Masters in Business Administration (MBA) (majoring in Finance and Accounting) from the University of Liverpool.

The woman quickly go balance up. So as to be relevant in the banking industry....
Yoruba people dominate gtbank...Igbo people dominate Access Bank, Hausa Fulani people dominate unity bank....and someone is still saying one Nigeria.....shine your eyes...Naija Nah scam
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by iamdapsyj(m): 9:40am On Jul 15, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

Sir, in life , it's what you focus on that expands. Success always leaves a trail. If you do what successful people do, you are more likely to end where they ended, regardless of your gender . And if you do the opposite of what they do, you are more likely to end where unsuccessful people end. I am sure that you missed the part where I reminded all knowing folks like you that there is nothing unusual if you don't even attend a university and become a bank M.D. as a Chartered Accountant because with basic o level, you can start ATS and pass all the way to chartered level.

And contrary to the condescending way you made it sound like it's insane that she merited it, in another 'insane ' country called England, the number one banker is a Historian! Andrew Bailey did not even study a numerate course, he studied the art of History. Yet today, the No. 1 banker in the UK and the person who oversees the monetary policy on on of the strongest currencies in the world! With History o!
Why UNILAG, OAU, UNN, UI and ABU, attend those schools and study top courses there first sir. The taste of the pudding is in the eating. To the young folks, don't listen to anyone telling you that you should settle for less in life, especially decisions on your life. The top is not crowded, only the bottom is . Go for the top! What is paining misogynists is not her illustrious professional background, it's the fact that the person who merited it is a woman!

You better let that guy be with his ignorant views. Their are many ways to climb the banking ladder. A girl friend of mine who is so dear to me studied English language at the university of Lagos and works with this same Gtb in a department (i don't want to divulge too much information). So if such lady end up becoming the MD tomorrow, people like that guy you are quoting will be saying things like she is a slut or must have connections e.t.c

People need to open their minds and not just form opinions because they cannot get jobs through their own degree. The banking sector is not like an engineering sector where by you need to have studied engineering before you qualify for the job.

The most important thing to note is for anyone to get to the top of their careers is training and further trainings, get certifications and most importantly the grace of God.

3 Likes

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by iamdapsyj(m): 9:51am On Jul 15, 2021
AngelicDamsel:
Banking and Finance course na scam.

There is no complexity in banking anymore, everything is now being computerized. A basic knowledge of computer operation is all you need.

Exactly, but you need certifications and training to be able to move up the ladder.
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by FFA: 10:29am On Jul 15, 2021
The future is indeed beautiful.....................
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by VanBommel(m): 10:48am On Jul 15, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:
The Nigerian woman is making us proud! From Fidelity Bank to Unity Bank to FCMB and now Nigeria's No. 1 bank, the most admired bank; GTbank!!
Congratulations to all our adorable mothers, wives, sisters and daughters out there making up proud. Loads of love to you from us all at FreeStuffsNG. May God bless you all.
You can earn it because you have what it takes to merit it, so do not allow anyone born of a woman to put you down because of your gender.
why did you remove her middle name you clown?
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Dopaminergic(m): 2:25pm On Jul 15, 2021
Impressive...

I'm also a Pharmacist but I now find solace in Affiliate marketing and Direct response copywriting.

There's nothing more important than personal development.

That's the first investment you should give yourself before anything else.

There are so many amazing and lucrative businesses you can start with little capital and they will massively grow your income.

But I only have a book that talks about the best 5 currently...it was written by my mentor.

You can get it for free...I will only answer the first 5 persons....

You can check my signature.

1 Like

Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by abbey621(m): 3:09pm On Jul 15, 2021
FreeStuffsNG:

Like I said before, you're not making much sense and not looking at things from the Nigerian work climate. You keep quoting and using people that have nothing to do with the realities in Nigeria and I find it ridiculous! Let me even entertain your quack theory, what was Andrew Bailey's first job? RESEARCHER! Can you see the correlation? How does pharmacy relate to banking?

Furthermore, you trying to spin this to be about women is repulsive and outright silly! This has nothing to do with gender and eveything to do with how backwards this country operates. So many dreams have been crushed because the people that deserved to be top in their fields are replaced by people with connection. People with high dreams continue to waste years trying to pass JAMB, to study courses way beyond their capacity only to end up stuck at entry level or unemployment for years upon years. If you truly believe this is a gender issue then you're simply out of your damn mind!
Re: GT Bank Appoints Miriam Olusanya As First Female Managing Director by Zoomx(m): 9:30pm On Aug 06, 2021
VillagePipu:

Your mother that has been nicknamed Cash and carry, what does she have to show for her own hoeing?
chisos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

United States, EU Report Nigeria To World Trade Organization. / How Can I Be A Distributor Of Lever Brothers Products Or Pz / Why We Put Made In China, Italy On Our Shoes – Ariariashoemakers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.