Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,437 members, 7,819,603 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status (25685 Views)

US, Israel Formally Quit UNESCO / Israel Withdraws From UNESCO Over Jerusalem Decision / United States Pulls Out of UNESCO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 21, 2021
Liverpool has been stripped of its World Heritage status because of developments on the city's waterfront.

The decision was made following a secret ballot by the UNESCO committee at a meeting in China.

UNESCO committee voted by 13 votes to 5 in secret ballot to approve recommendation to delete Liverpool from World Heritage list; this is the two thirds majority required.

UNESCO had previously warned that the developments, which include Everton FC's new stadium, had resulted in "irreversible loss of attributes".

Liverpool becomes only the third site to lose its World Heritage status since the list began in 1978, the other two being Oman's Arabian Oryx Sanctuary in 2007 and the Dresden Elbe Valley in Germany in 2009.

The city was awarded the much-coveted title in 2004 in recognition of its historical and architectural impact, joining places including the Taj Mahal, Egypt's Pyramids and Canterbury Cathedral.

It recognised Liverpool's history as a major trading centre during the British Empire and its architectural landmarks.

SOURCE

World Heritage Committee deletes Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City from UNESCO’s #WorldHeritage List

UNESCO

Liverpool Mayor, Joanne Anderson reacts:

“I’m hugely disappointed and concerned by this decision to delete Liverpool’s World Heritage status, which comes a decade after UNESCO last visited the city to see it with their own eyes.

“Our World Heritage site has never been in better condition having benefitted from hundreds of millions of pounds of investment across dozens of listed buildings and the public realm.

“We will be working with Government to examine whether we can appeal but, whatever happens, Liverpool will always be a World Heritage city. We have a stunning waterfront and incredible built heritage that is the envy of other cities.

“Our commitment to maintaining and improving our buildings remains as strong as ever and will continue to be a key part of our drive to attract visitors, along with leisure, retail and events.

“I find it incomprehensible that UNESCO would rather Bramley Moore Dock remain a derelict wasteland, rather than making a positive contribution to the city’s future and that of its residents.

“I’ll now be seeking to draw together all the UK heritage bodies in a round table to plan a positive future with further investment.”

Liverpool City Council

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 21, 2021
Osun-Osogbo Sacred Grove (2005)
Sukur Cultural Landscape (1999)

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 21, 2021
shocked
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Goldenboy224: 11:29am On Jul 21, 2021
[size=8pt][/size]

Most Chelsea and Manchester united fans will celebrate thinking is Liverpool football club.

grin grin

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by sotall(m): 11:29am On Jul 21, 2021
undecided
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by DropsMic(m): 11:29am On Jul 21, 2021
Okay? How does this concern me?

3 Likes

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Teaser4(m): 11:30am On Jul 21, 2021
H
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by prezee1: 11:30am On Jul 21, 2021
Na their own problem be that, Nigeria get her own palava to battle

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by fourboys: 11:30am On Jul 21, 2021
embarassed
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by bigdammyj: 11:30am On Jul 21, 2021
Noted
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by slawormiir: 11:30am On Jul 21, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by sommy03(m): 11:30am On Jul 21, 2021
The place is still better than Nigeria lipsrsealed
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by letristian: 11:30am On Jul 21, 2021
The worst slave merchants

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by sylve11: 11:30am On Jul 21, 2021
Okay. cool
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by oluwaseyi0: 11:31am On Jul 21, 2021
So many here will be thinking of Liverpool Football Club rather than liverpool city

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by inumidun2010(m): 11:31am On Jul 21, 2021
Hmmm... What do I want to say SEF.....lemme give MIC to the BROS beneath me

1 Like

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Starboytwo(m): 11:31am On Jul 21, 2021
All the Liverpool fans I’ve met have a weird love and believe in their club. I admire it.

Chelsea. I recently started a viewing center and Chealsea fc are your best bet. The blues are a winning team.

Man utd- I’m a devil. A tired one. Our matches are dull and uninspiring. So is the confidence fans have for the club.

Arsenal- London team. Lots of fans, but no more in the scheme of things.

Man city- Bag of money. A typical day in man city looks like Oba in Anambra. Money everywhere.

7 Likes

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Ninnoo: 11:31am On Jul 21, 2021
Tragic
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Pascal181: 11:31am On Jul 21, 2021
Very good
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 21, 2021
Surprised they haven't stripped them before now. They can literally steal the clothes off your back in Liverpool grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Igbofirstfarmer: 11:31am On Jul 21, 2021
Ok
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by pregnantMan: 11:31am On Jul 21, 2021
grin
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by akinmusi(m): 11:32am On Jul 21, 2021
Why are y'all booking space
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by FoolaniHellman: 11:33am On Jul 21, 2021
Attention!!! Attention!! Attention!

This good news is for my Igbo brothers&sisters would might be feeling down right now due to this present regime of Buhari!

I had a very bad dream few hours ago prior to writing this, guys in my dream I saw two girls wreck havoc on people, killing, maiming & destroying whatever comes their way. I was opportune to meet this girls in my dream and i had a friendly chat with them which turned to a fight as I struggle to collect a JUJU from their hand, what Yoruba’s will call Oloude ( very powerful stuff that is made out of native attire) if they strike you once with it, believe me you’re going down and boom dead! I was shocked that I kept on dragging this JUJU from this girls hands and they were too powerful for me to collect it from them but I kept on dragging it with them until they decided to left me have. Brethren in this same dream I took this JUJU to my Priest ( Pastor) and the most shocking of all happened!! Guys I saw Nnamdi Kanu was the priest and affecting examining the JUJU I placed on his table he gave me 3 Bible verses which he asked me to read, OMG cry How powerful are you Almighty God Nnamdi Kanu asked me to read ISAIAH 14:1-end, ISAIAH 1: 1- end and ISAIAH Chapter 2 as well to the end !!! I woke up repeating this Chapters till I opened my eye. Guys Nnamdi is truly going to liberate his people from slavery cry cry please I’m begging all Igbos to take their time and read Isaiah chapter 14 and Chapter 1!!! Listen to what God is saying... im still in shock brethren…

1 Like

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Fuckthamods: 11:33am On Jul 21, 2021
Very impressive..
Na technology go scatter this world las las.. Why can't we enjoy nature? Must we construct things everywhere? Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Heroesworths(m): 11:34am On Jul 21, 2021
Modified...

This is awesome
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by kenny714433(m): 11:34am On Jul 21, 2021
sad

But why would UNESCO strip Liverpool of its world heritage status? Shouldn't it be better they add the modifications done in every article/blog containing the site than abruptly stripping them?

I just wish I'll discover an ancient cave one day in my village filled with gold and precious stones, ancient scrolls and tablets. How happy will I be when I'll know that my name will live on for million of years.
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by toffyz(m): 11:38am On Jul 21, 2021
Liverpool My City

1 Like

Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by Gbest90(m): 11:38am On Jul 21, 2021
Mtcheeeeeew. angry
Re: Liverpool Stripped Of UNESCO World Heritage Status by shogsman(m): 11:39am On Jul 21, 2021
sommy03:
The place is still better than Nigeria lipsrsealed
Your total lack of self worth is disturbing

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

UAE Successfully Launches Hope Probe, Arab World’s First Mission To Mars / US Deploys Troops To Gabon Amid Fears Of Election Unrest In DR Congo / Made In Ghana Cars Ready For Market!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.