Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,059 members, 7,810,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots (34440 Views)

Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List / Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year / Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by robosky02(m): 12:26pm On Jul 23, 2021
Milwaukee Bucks All-Star Giannis Antetokounmpo wants to visit Nigeria soon and cannot wait to learn more about his roots.

Antetokounmpo, who produced a performance for the ages to lead the Milwaukee Bucks to their first NBA title since 1971 after a 105-98 win over the Phoenix Suns on Monday, was born and represents Greece.

“Obviously, a lot of people don’t know where I’m from,” Antetokounmpo told The Undefeated. “A lot of people think my mom or my dad is from Greece, but no. Both of my parents are black. Both of my parents are Nigerian.”

“I grew up in a Nigerian home,” Antetokounmpo said. “Obviously, I was born in Greece and went to school in Greece. But at the end of the day when I go home, there is no Greek culture. It’s straight-up Nigerian culture. It’s about discipline, it’s about respecting your elders, having morals.”

Antetokounmpo who said his original surname Adetokunbo was misspelt at the Greek Passport office, hasn’t traced his roots in person yet but hopes to visit Nigeria either this summer or next summer , revealing that he got his Nigerian passport in 2015.

“I want to see where my family comes from, where my mom was raised, see my family, see where my dad was raised. That is very important. I hope my kids can do the same thing for me,” Antetokounmpo said.

Meanwhile, Basketball legend and NBA Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon said Nigerians are proud of Giannis Antetokounmpo despite the Milwaukee Bucks All-Star representing Greece.

“I’m sure Nigerians are very proud of him, especially because of the way he has conducted himself and how he is dominating the league,” Olajuwon said. “He has accomplished a great deal in such a short period of time.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/nba-mvp-antetokounmpo-to-trace-nigerian-roots/

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by TarOrfeeek: 12:28pm On Jul 23, 2021
Ugochukwu

Well-done.

grin

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by robosky02(m): 12:38pm On Jul 23, 2021
All roads lead to Nigeria

Anthony Joshua

Adesanya ...aka. Style bender

Deontay Wilder

Tyson Fury

Even lionel Messi greàt grand father is Nigerian

123 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Emperormartin(m): 12:59pm On Jul 23, 2021
You're a Yoruba guy; search no more

153 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by fergie001: 1:05pm On Jul 23, 2021
Dad is late, though Yoruba , Mum is Igbo

Nna m, Use the name we can pronounce nah abeg grin grin

..and Congrats again once more.....

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by BAZ001: 1:21pm On Jul 23, 2021
You go get fake grand father and fake ancestors now now. Shuuu you don already announce before you come. No worry your roots are already waiting for you.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Omeleyi: 2:14pm On Jul 23, 2021
After fighting over your heritage here on NL
Igbo or Yoruba? Which would you prefer to trace am go? Just ask momsy cool
E get y

3 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by robosky02(m): 2:14pm On Jul 23, 2021
Emperormartin:
You're a Yoruba guy; search no more

Hmmmm you don mean it

3 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Queenslander(f): 2:17pm On Jul 23, 2021
Welcome to wonderland!
Welcome home!!
We're waiting!!!
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by ignis: 3:12pm On Jul 23, 2021
Should we tell him?

6 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by MVLOX(m): 3:12pm On Jul 23, 2021
Doubting Thomas make una come see ooo

1 Like

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by kayultimate(m): 3:12pm On Jul 23, 2021
Adedokunbo

Search no more

84 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by WandaNara: 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2021
You're welcome to Oduduwa Republic

105 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Doubuzofficial: 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2021
No be ADETOKUNBO?

This name sounds somehow abeg

2 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Dtapcreative: 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2021
grin

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by funkybroyouknow: 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2021
as long as you eventually play for nigeria it is well
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Romanoff(f): 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2021
TarOrfeeek:
Ugochukwu

Well-done.

grin
Two tribes laying claims to the guy.

Yorubas claim his name is Adetokunbo, Igbos claim it's Ugochukwu.

Which one we go believe now?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by toffyz(m): 3:14pm On Jul 23, 2021
Omo Wa ni

It's obvious from the name

Adetokunbo ~ Antetokunompo

Modified: I think his parents are late, If not this shouldn't be difficult to trace @ all, owing to the fact that he's now successful and everyone would like to associate with successful people.
I'm super sure his relatives either close or distant would show up when he comes around

Most likely to be from Oyo state!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 23, 2021
Righteousness2:
Watch how Nigeria will begin to claim them

shogsman:
Congratulations to athens and usa,don't see how this news concerns us seeing as he definitely doesn't identify as a Nigerian

But but "He DoESn't iDeNtiFy aS NiGeRiAn"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by DamnNiggar: 3:14pm On Jul 23, 2021
angry
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Xibif: 3:14pm On Jul 23, 2021
Chei

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by stevebond007(m): 3:14pm On Jul 23, 2021
Well done,
John Adesina Adetokunbo

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by dynicks(m): 3:15pm On Jul 23, 2021
Omo make we forget about bad leadership....I'm forced to say that there's something about this country NIGERIA...

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Thompz43(m): 3:15pm On Jul 23, 2021
Realest Nigga
Don't forget where you're coming from

If you like go Ask Rock go follow them shake hand, that's when you will have a prob with the nigerian youths...

6 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by JoshOxborn: 3:15pm On Jul 23, 2021
This a thread for tribalism to have full power.

1 Like

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 23, 2021
hmmm issoright
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Tdotbluejays: 3:15pm On Jul 23, 2021
fergie001:
Dad is late, though Yoruba , Mum is Igbo

Nna m, Use the name we can pronounce nah abeg grin grin

..and Congrats again once more.....
See attache by force. We see what you did. Well done sir grin

Romanoff:

Two tribes laying claims to the guy.

Yorubas claim his name is Adetokunbo, Igbos claim it's Ugochukwu.

Which one we go believe now?
Tribalists on this thread would be confused.

7 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Afonjashapmouth: 3:15pm On Jul 23, 2021
EVerybody sha be Nigerian

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Fuckthamods: 3:15pm On Jul 23, 2021
If you're truly proud of black then you shouldn't have represent greece with fake greek surname. Rubbish

Tdotbluejays:

See attache by force. We see what you did. Well done sir grin
He said the truth, which one is attache by force now? What's so special in being attached to whatever? All these mumu yorubas sef..

2 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Topmaike007(m): 3:15pm On Jul 23, 2021
The same Nigeria that my brothers from the East don't want to align with, is the same Nigeria one Afro-American want to claim.. Abeg guy come claim my Ebonyi state we self need Obi Cubana in our darling state cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Different Versions Of The Nigerian Jersey - Meme Collection / BREAKING: Real Madrid Sack Julen Lopetegui After Elclassico Loss / Alexis Sanchez Arrives Italy To Seal Inter Milan Transfer (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.