Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,594 members, 7,823,581 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots (34534 Views)

Antetokounmpo & Anthony Joshua On Forbes 50 Highest-Paid Athletes 2023 List / Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year / Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by zinizta: 5:47pm On Jul 23, 2021
Uchasa:

That's a subjective assertion. I haven't met half the people you've met, and you've not met half the people I've met. I grew up in Lagos, but now base in my town, PH. While in Lagos, in my high school, the tallest boys I knew were Igbos, same when I went to University. Yours could be the other way round, so no problem.

Cap

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by zinizta: 5:48pm On Jul 23, 2021
Simbrixton:
no na Igala him be lol

Igalas are Yorubas
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by YungMillionaire: 5:52pm On Jul 23, 2021
Uchasa:
Itshekiri people are Niger Deltans like me, not Yoruba. You are not itshekiri, concentrate on South West

Say wetin? I no be Itsekiri? You can't even spell it idiot. Abeg swerve. You well so? Niger Delta na tribe? Wetin concern Warri with Ikwerre? If I carry Ogun curse you.

1 Like

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Uchasa(m): 5:53pm On Jul 23, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
its funny you say that because i have not met too many tall igbo boys in my lifetime and i aint no spring chicken. they are muscular but they are never tall. but these are just my own observations. maybe the tall ones are hiding from me cheesy cheesy

but i see tall hausa and yoruba guys everyday

That's why I said it's a subjective assertion grin. But if you happen to be more curious about seeing tall Igbo boys, you can easily see them in Amuwo/Okota/Abule Ado/Satellite Town areas, especially the residential estates. cheesy cheesy
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Uchasa(m): 5:54pm On Jul 23, 2021
YungMillionaire:

Say wetin? I no be Itsekiri? You can't even spell it idiot. Abeg swerve. You well so? Niger Delta na tribe? Wetin concern Warri with Ikwerre? If I carry Ogun curse you.

Stop claiming Itsekiri! They are Niger Deltans from Delta State. Nothing concern Warri man and Ibadan man, concentrate on your side.
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Simbrixton(m): 5:55pm On Jul 23, 2021
zinizta:

Igalas are Yorubas
politically they believe in 1 north

Dey are also related to igbos jukun and nupe

Yoruba of today is SW and Kogi and kwara south to me sha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Simbrixton(m): 5:57pm On Jul 23, 2021
Uchasa:

Stop claiming Itsekiri! They are Niger Deltans from Delta State. Nothing concern Warri man and Ibadan man, concentrate on your side.
it is spelt itsekiri not itshekiri

You no be itsekiri

3 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by HEAVEN4444: 5:57pm On Jul 23, 2021
Uchasa:

That's why I said it's a subjective assertion grin. But if you happen to be more curious about seeing tall Igbo boys, you can easily see them in Amuwo/Okota/Abule Ado/Satellite Town areas, especially the residential estates. cheesy cheesy
ahhh i see, the tall ones are concentrated in one geographical location of lagos state cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Simbrixton(m): 5:58pm On Jul 23, 2021
YungMillionaire:

na iraja him be you go sabi easily lol

Oritse tse gbenure omere

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Uchasa(m): 5:58pm On Jul 23, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
ahhh i see, the tall ones are concentrated in one geographical location of lagos state cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I'm just speculating, you could go there and see short ones grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by HEAVEN4444: 6:00pm On Jul 23, 2021
Uchasa:

I'm just speculating, you could go there and see short ones grin grin grin grin
hehehehe i hear you boss cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Simbrixton(m): 6:00pm On Jul 23, 2021
Uchasa:

You're a clown and a devoted liar, Usman has nothing to do with Yoruba. Dude is a pure Edo boy.
imo to successful sweet o
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Uchasa(m): 6:01pm On Jul 23, 2021
Simbrixton:
politically they believe in 1 north

Dey are also related to igbos jukun and nupe

Yoruba of today is SW and Kogi and kwara south

Thank You my brother. Igalas are heterogeneous. Some are related to Jukun, some to Igbos, some to Ebira, and some to Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by YungMillionaire: 6:01pm On Jul 23, 2021
Simbrixton:
na iraja him be you go sabi easily lolOritse tse gbenure omere

I tire for these guys o! They have called me Fulani, Ogbomosho-man, even Ijaw whenever I say something they don't like. Most you like everything I post?
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Simbrixton(m): 6:03pm On Jul 23, 2021
YungMillionaire:

I tire for these guys o! They have called me Fulani, Ogbomosho-man, even Ijaw whenever I say something they don't like. Most you like everything I post?
yorubas and itsekiri would always maintain a strong bond

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Boudiccao: 6:03pm On Jul 23, 2021
Emilokoiyawon:

There is nothing like both. If your father is Yoruba, you are Yoruba it doesn't matter the tribe of your mother. He can celebrate his mother's culture as much as he wants but he will always remain a Yoruba man. Yemi Alade does same. Her music is mostly Igbotic but Yemi Alade remains a Yoruba woman.

Yemi always align herself to Igbos more than Yoruba.
Yemi just like Ugo and Ifeanyi Adeleke are products of both and you have no right to erase their ancestry just because they have a Yoruba surname.
Anybody that is a product of both end up representing both. So chill and stop stressing over Igbo/yoruba descendants.

2 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by YungMillionaire: 6:03pm On Jul 23, 2021
Uchasa:

Guy man. If you like call me Ogbomosho man. You couldn't even spell Itsekiri UNTIL I corrected you. Yes, I am Niger Deltan. What has that got to do with my Yoruba heritage? Are there not people in Delta with Igbo heritage?

What the fv-ck is even Niger Delta? Is Ondo state not Niger Delta? Is Abia and Imo state not Niger Delta? You are a dullard.

3 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Simbrixton(m): 6:04pm On Jul 23, 2021
YungMillionaire:

me dey always feel ur posts omere

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Uchasa(m): 6:06pm On Jul 23, 2021
YungMillionaire:

Guy man. If you like call me Ogbomosho man. You couldn't even spell Itsekiri UNTIL I corrected you. Yes, I am Niger Deltan. What has that got to do with my Yoruba heritage? Are there not people in Delta with Igbo heritage?

I'm I Igbo or Yoruba? Wetin concern me with Igbo people in Delta or Yoruba in Kwara? My own is Itsekiri people are Niger Deltans like me, we are tired of the hegemony of the so-called major WAZOBIA ethnic groups looking for free land and oil to grab.
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Simbrixton(m): 6:06pm On Jul 23, 2021
YungMillionaire:

What the fv-ck is even Niger Delta? Is Ondo state not Niger Delta? Is Abia and Imo state not Niger Delta? You are a dullard.
as soon as I saw him spell itsekiri wrongly my brain screamed bigot straight away anything uniting yorubas and itsekiri offends them a lot of people need to grow up

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by YungMillionaire: 6:07pm On Jul 23, 2021
Simbrixton:
yorubas and itsekiri would always maintain a strong bond

Gbam! What I don't understand is why Itsekiri-Yoruba link threatens an Ikwerre man. All my life I don't think I have met more than half-a-dozen Ikwerre people. There is no connection between us and Ikwerre at all at all.

2 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Boudiccao: 6:08pm On Jul 23, 2021
Emilokoiyawon:

Keep fooling yourself. Igbos on average are shorter than Yorubas. You can take that to the bank.

Basketball stars are usually tall or taller than most people.
However when it comes to Nigeria, Igbos are taller than Yorubas while the tallest Nigerians are Fulanis and the middle belt.

Igbos on average are taller than Yorubas.
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by YungMillionaire: 6:08pm On Jul 23, 2021
Simbrixton:
as soon as I saw him spell itsekiri wrongly my brain screamed bigot straight away anything uniting yorubas and itsekiri offends them a lot of people need to grow up

The guy is a mumu man (In Dokubo's voice). cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Simbrixton(m): 6:11pm On Jul 23, 2021
YungMillionaire:

Gbam! What I don't understand is why Itsekiri-Yoruba link threatens an Ikwerre man. All my life I don't think I have met more than half-a-dozen Ikwerre people. There is no connection between us and Ikwerre at all at all.
itsekiri and yorubas bear dsame names and speak same language no reason why we shouldn't have a relationship and no reason why our relationship should affect others

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by YungMillionaire: 6:11pm On Jul 23, 2021
Uchasa:
I'm I Igbo or Yoruba? Wetin concern me with Igbo people in Delta or Yoruba in Kwara? My own is Itsekiri people are Niger Deltans like me, we are tired of the hegemony of the so-called major WAZOBIA ethnic groups looking for free land and oil to grab.

Shut your mouth. You are a mumu man! You are from Rivers state trying to dictate to a Warri man how to express my heritage? Are you madt? I have more in common with Plateau state (my mom's side) than I have with Ikwerre. What is Ikwerre? Wetin concern me with WAZOBIA? In case you don't know Imo and Ondo states are part of Niger Delta. So, I should also allow an Imo and Ondo man to dictate my life in Warri? Getat!

6 Likes

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by Simbrixton(m): 6:12pm On Jul 23, 2021
Uchasa:

grow up dude

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:17pm On Jul 23, 2021
No nah Greece get am

Na Greek nurture and mold into the world class athlete he is now.

If he was in naija, he woulda been hanging from buses shouting Ojueleba, Oshodi, Yaba all over the place
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by eaglebeing(m): 6:28pm On Jul 23, 2021
I think this may help those arguing over his ancestry. An interview a FA licenced agent had with the family. The interview was conducted in October, last year.
Source:Vanguardnewspaper

Link: Drew Uyi hails Antetokounmpo brothers over NBA honours Vanguard News - https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/10/drew-uyi-hails-antetokounmpo-brothers-over-nba-honours/

FA-licensed football agent and international brand expert, Drew Uyi, has doffed his hat in celebration of Kostas Antetokounmpo and Giannis Antetokounmpo for the double NBA honours both brothers won in the just-concluded NBA 2020 season.

Giannis Sina Ugo Antetokounmpo, a power forward for the Milwaukee Bucks, was named the NBA Most Valuable Player for the just-concluded season.

Named the Greek Freak, Giannis ended the 2019–2020 NBA regular season with the highest player efficiency rating in NBA history and this season, won a second straight NBA Most Valuable Player award, beating LeBron James to the second position.

Gianni scooped 85 of a possible 101 first-place votes, with LeBron James receiving the remaining 16.

Their parents, Veronica and Charles Adetokunbo (Antetokounmpo), immigrated to Greece after leaving Nigeria’s commercial capital, Lagos, in the early 1990s. Their father, Charles Adetokunbo is from ONDO State.

You can read the complete article with the link above.
According to the source,
Father:Yoruba (Ondo state)
Mother: Igbo (state of origin not stated)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by ComeToJesus: 6:32pm On Jul 23, 2021
You can come but make sure you have a special arrangements for a three layer security.
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by YungMillionaire: 6:36pm On Jul 23, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
i dont think. i know nigeria is great. its where the global spiritual rennaisance will start from. Nigeria is the spiritual epicenter of the world. and i am not talking about these fake pastors either. the messiah will emerge from Nigeria

Spiritual rennaisance can't start from Nigeria. The average Nigerian brain has been brainwashed by either Christianity or Islam. Spiritual rennaisance requires free thinking, which is lacking among Nigerians in general.
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by YungMillionaire: 6:37pm On Jul 23, 2021
naijaman2225:
IF HE WANTS TO VISIT NIGERIA, FINE. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT BUT THE DUDE IS GREEK. PURE AND SIMPLE.

Pure? Greek DNA is 100% European. Which school you attend sef? You don finish secondary?
Re: NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots by codemaniacs: 6:41pm On Jul 23, 2021
Boudiccao:

He is both Igbo and Yoruba just like Davido's son. Both ethnic groups made him so chill with your foolishness.

Davido's son is Igbo.. davido is 0.75 Igbo and 0.25 Yoruba .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Carabao Cup Quarter Final Draw Concluded [Full Fixtures] / Manchester City Believe They In A Good Position To Sign Messi / Ten Intriguing Facts About Anthony Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.