Stats: 3,156,374 members, 7,829,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) (75951 Views)

Alfa Ekele, Nigerian Aviation Student Dies In Plane Crash At US Airport (Photo) / Andy Uba Lands His Private Jet At Anambra Int'l Airport: Video / World War II Plane Crashes In US Airport, Kills At Least 7 Persons (2) (3) (4)

Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 9:19pm On Jul 31, 2021
Tirips:

I commented 'cook well'

Well enough to kill pathogens
1, What is the prevalence of this "pathogen" in snails?
Any idea?

Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by OChimex: 9:41pm On Jul 31, 2021
aribisala0:

Your reasoning is funny and I see you are just seeking attention
In Logic you do not need to "counter" allegations
He who alleges must prove
Ei incumbio probatio qui dicit non qui negat

Many countries have said they do not want genetically modified food which the US has countered by saying give evidence it is harmful and their response is it is too early to know the long term effects .Some countries have succumbed to the pressure. It is a TRADE ISSUE

It is not in doubt that snails can carry disease
This is true for every living thing that we eat both animals and plants , even eggs
Even humans carry disease Such as Coronavirus for example

So it is important to talk in context.

The question is How serious a problem is it and what is the risk of getting meningitis out of every 1000 snails and how does that compare to the risk of other things than ca
n carry meningitis e.g pork and what precautions should be taken to mitigate the risk. Is a total ban the answer or are there other workable solutions
The simple solution is to clean the snails and freeze them and ship them in appropriate packaging with periodic testing and inspection or even total testing for every package
It is not a complex issue

Health doesn't deal with logic, they deal with scientific, tested evidence....

Good you now acknowledged the snail might get health dangers...., so you now talk say their decisions are purely health related... Good you think that way.

If they eat am now, and another virus start now na the same una go dey blame them, like una blame China say, them dey eat anything, then come dey contact diseases from those things them dey eat...

They may not yet be ready to deal with its health dangers, get that..... hence the ban..

Since total ban no be the solution, You guys that get the snail, wetin prevent una to go thru the processes of purification as you mentioned?

Since its not a complex issue to go with your suggestion, you guys should do them and let's see if them go still ban am after you have purified the snails. After all na person wey get goods suppose package am well before him go sell am...
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Tirips(f): 9:59pm On Jul 31, 2021
aribisala0:
1, What is the prevalence of this "pathogen" in snails?
Any idea?
Well,

'Rat LungWorm' as the name implies is a pathogen carried by rats. The eggs or larvae are passed out in rat droppings which are eaten by snails; the snails become carriers (get infected).

Statistics show that the 'Rat LungWorm' disease is very prevalent in Africa, Asia and some part of America. This shows the prevalence of the pathogen in our snails.

Now snail meat is delicious and we all or most of us enjoy it, but this is calling our attention to ensure our health is not jeopardized while enjoying our favorite delicacy.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 10:03pm On Jul 31, 2021
Tirips:

Well,

'Rat LungWorm' as the name implies is a pathogen carried by rats. The eggs or larvae are passed out in rat droppings which are eaten by snails; the snails become carriers (get infected).

Statistics show that the 'Rat LungWorm' disease is very prevalent in Africa, Asia and some part of America. This shows the prevalence of the pathogen in our snails.

Now snail meat is delicious and we all or most of us enjoy it, but this is calling our attention to ensure our health is not jeopardized while enjoying our favorite delicacy.
In short you do not know?
The technical term is infested not infected and they are "vectors"
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 10:28pm On Jul 31, 2021
OChimex:

Health doesn't deal with logic, they deal with scientific, tested evidence....

Good you now acknowledged the snail might get health dangers...., so you now talk say their decisions are purely health related... Good you think that way.

If they eat am now, and another virus start now na the same una go dey blame them, like una blame China say, them dey eat anything, then come dey contact diseases from those things them dey eat...

They may not yet be ready to deal with its health dangers, get that..... hence the ban..

Since total ban no be the solution, You guys that get the snail, wetin prevent una to go thru the processes of purification as you mentioned?

Since its not a complex issue to go with your suggestion, you guys should do them and let's see if them go still ban am after you have purified the snails. After all na person wey get goods suppose package am well before him go sell am...
Your first sentence is foolish and so I will not bother to read the rest of your offering

Go back and find out the meaning of the word logic/

It is clear that you do not know

Without logic there is no science and no testing of evidence
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by OChimex: 10:55pm On Jul 31, 2021
aribisala0:

Your first sentence is foolish and so I will not bother to read the rest of your offering

Go back and find out the meaning of the word logic/

It is clear that you do not know

Without logic there is no science and no testing of evidence

You can call me whatever you want, proven how uncivilised and uncouth you are. Insults are not accommodated in argument..

Science get branches oga,,,,, medicines and health deal with practicals, not I think say, I dey reason say, those are not medical kind of science..... Mr. Na social science you dey talk... philosophy kind of science.

Nobody will ask you for any logic for medical casebook, they will always ask, show all workings, pure practicals. How did you arrive at results, show us testings. ....

You sound like a layman not to k ow say science get branches.....

Which is why when you go a good hospital, say you get symptoms, nobody wants to do anything other than send you to a lab, to know what dey worry you. No good doctor or hospital will begin without have your lab results. That's the working paper.thays how health works
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 11:06pm On Jul 31, 2021
OChimex:

You can call me whatever you want, proven how uncivilised and uncouth you are. Insults are not accommodated in argument..

Science get branches oga,,,,, medicines and health deal with practicals, not I think say, I dey reason say, those are not medical kind of science..... Mr. Na social science you dey talk... philosophy kind of science.

Nobody will ask you for any logic for medical casebook, they will always ask, show all workings, pure practicals. How did you arrive at results, show us testings. ....

You sound like a layman not to k ow say science get branches.....

Which is why when you go a good hospital, say you get symptoms, nobody wants to do anything other than send you to a lab, to know what dey worry you. No good doctor or hospital will begin without have your lab results. That's the working paper.thays how health works

I did not say you are foolish just that what you said was foolish
We all say foolish things at one time or another
That is human nature
It is clear you are out of your depth, and really not well educated to boot
The essence of science in medicine is critical appraisal/peer review of research data which implies logic/ deductive reasoning
That is how INFERENCES ate made about causation and effectiveness on interventions/treatment

If you do not grasp that most fundamental issue why then must you pretend to be some kind of intellectual which you obviously are not You are talking at JSS2 level
Without logic there is no science so please go away and stop being a nuisance
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by OChimex: 11:15pm On Jul 31, 2021
aribisala0:

I did not say you are foolish just that what you said was foolish
We all say foolish things at one time or another
That is human nature
It is clear you are out of your depth, and really not well educated to boot
The essence of science in medicine is critical appraisal/peer review of research data which implies logic.
If you do not grasp that most fundamental issue why then must you pretend to be some kind of intellectual which you obviously are not You are talking at JSS2 level
Without logic there is no science so please go away and stop being a nuisance

Permit me to say you are very stupid and uncivil. Bye please
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Naija8240: 2:22am On Aug 01, 2021
Foe those that don’t know, US allows snail but it has to be out of the shell to pass thru the airport.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Bifwoli: 2:25am On Aug 01, 2021
illicit:

They don't know what they are saying

Snail wey be our delicacy
Yeah delicacy ,only in west Africa my friend . I personally know lots of Africans who are turned off by the idea of eating snails .
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by JoshOxborn: 3:16am On Aug 01, 2021
amrichy:

It's either you say "your punctuations suck" or "your punctuation sucks".
If you want to throw stones, make sure you don't live in a glass house!

The point is that, i never said i was better, so stop being the wise man in a blouse here.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by JoshOxborn: 3:17am On Aug 01, 2021
Seun:
That wouldn't surprise me. Could you correct it for me? I want to learn.

Don't worry, make me a moderator and I'll teach you everything you'll need to know.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Tirips(f): 1:32pm On Aug 01, 2021
aribisala0:
In short you do not know?
The technical term is infested not infected and they are "vectors"
grin how ignorant can you be?
Sit down and get schooled!

Animals/Humans get infected while crops get infested.

Oh and its 'Medical' term not technical term.

Do a lot of study before you go embarrassing yourself to the world.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 1:54pm On Aug 01, 2021
Tirips:

grin how ignorant can you be?
Sit down and get schooled!

Animals/Humans get infected while crops get infested.

Oh and its 'Medical' term not technical term.

Do a lot of study before you go embarrassing yourself to the world.
You don't know . and you don't know that you don't know but you think you know and you are proud of it

First every profession has its "technical" terms so it is a technical term for medical professional just as for example "service" or "pardon" are technical term for lawyers.
When a word that is in common usage has a different use in a professional group it is "technical"
"technical" is simply used to distinguish from the "lay" or ordinary common usage of a word

Instead of making a fool of yourself just type "technical term" into Google

Now Infest is a technical term in parasitology used to denote invasion by complex multicellular organisms like worms which is what we are talking about here
If you have a worm in your stomach, lungs or any other part of your body it is an infestation NOT an infection

The most dangerous people are those with half knowledge who are totally impervious to learning and think they know everything
If you take what they know and put it on a number scale it is less than zero i.e negative

Your notion that crops get infested and animals infect is total nonsense

If your house is invaded by rats, cockroaches etc it is infested.
Infection is by single cell agents like bacteria , viruses etc

While more complex organisms like worms ants etc infest and they can infest not only living things but spaces

That is why it is a technical term
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Tirips(f): 2:33pm On Aug 01, 2021
aribisala0:
You don't know . and you don't know that you don't know but you think you know and you are proud of it

First every profession has its "technical" terms so it is a technical term for medical professional just as for example "service" or "pardon" are technical term for lawyers.
When a word that is in common usage has a different use in a professional group it is "technical"
"technical" is simply used to distinguish from the "lay" or ordinary common usage of a word

Instead of making a fool of yourself just type "technical term" into Google

Now Infest is a technical term in parasitology used to denote invasion by complex multicellular organisms like worms which is what we are talking about here
If you have a worm in your stomach, lungs or any other part of your body it is an infestation NOT an infection

The most dangerous people are those with half knowledge who are totally impervious to learning and think they know everything
If you take what they know and put it on a number scale it is less than zero i.e negative

Your notion that crops get infested and animals infect is total nonsense

If your house is invaded by rats, cockroaches etc it is infested.
Infection is by single cell agents like bacteria , viruses etc

While more complex organisms like worms ants etc infest and they can infest not only living things but spaces

That is why it is a technical term

Get back to my first write up in answering your question and read the first paragraph slowly. My comment was '...they become carriers(get infected)’.
Just incase you lack understanding which you obviously do, this is the meaning of that part of the sentence:-

The snails after ingesting rat droppings containing these parasitic worms, become carriers of the parasite which infects them with a disease (Rat LungWorm Disease)

For all the other nonsense you typed which was totally off point and a 'cheap & insensible way' of patching your blunder, you need to be sent back to kindergarten.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 2:35pm On Aug 01, 2021
Tirips:

Get back to my first write up in answering your question and read the first paragraph slowly. My comment was '...they become carriers(get infected)’.
Just incase you lack understanding which you obviously do, this is the meaning of that part of the sentence:-

These snails after eating rat droppings containing these parasitic worms, become carriers of the parasite which infects them with a disease (Rat LungWorm Disease)

For all the other nonsense you typed which was totally off point and a 'cheap & insensible way' of patching your blunder, you need to be sent back to kindergarten.

I understand the psychological need to save face

As lawyers might Say
res ipsa loquitur and Yoruba would say

Oro ti so ara re
Nairalanders are quite smart and can see through your bullshit

Crops get infested abi? grin
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by Tirips(f): 2:40pm On Aug 01, 2021
aribisala0:

I understand the psychological need to save face

As lawyers might Say
res ipsa loquitur and Yoruba would say

Oro ti so ara re
Nairalanders are quite smart and can see through your bullshit

Give up man!

You've got nothing on me.

You just jumped on my comment out of nowhere trying to play smart but you ended up embarrassing your silly self
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by aribisala0(m): 2:41pm On Aug 01, 2021
Tirips:

Give up man!

You've got nothing on me.

You just jumped on my comment out of nowhere trying to play smart but you ended up embarrassing your silly self

Sure

Plants get infested and animals get infected .

Not so??
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by amrichy(m): 6:07am On Aug 02, 2021
JoshOxborn:

The point is that, i never said i was better, so stop being the wise man in a blouse here.
Yes, you didn't say it explicitly, but you insinuated it tacitly.
Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by 1stGenAmerican(f): 9:18am On Aug 02, 2021
Beancounter94:

Once upon a time, Australia allowed one man to bring in 24 rabbits for 'hunting'

The hunt was not successful and a few rabbits escaped.

Those rabbits exploded in population, and now the Aussies have, for several decades a big rabbit problem. It is affecting the normal flora and fauna too. And it cost their taxpayer millions to deal with. (Including building a fence which did not work).

Of course the Australians don't let in anything into their country these days. They have learned their lesson.

The snail that was NOT allowed into the US...if they let it in, it not only would have brought in parasites , but it would have multiplied and wrecked the local flora of the USA, and it would also have caused a lot of economic and social problems.

Many countries don't let in everything...for their physical and economic health.

And before you start...these polices have been in place for decades before you were born.

Best answer here. Rules and regulations exist for specific reasons.

Re: 15 Giant Snails From Nigeria Seized At US Airport (Video) by insidelife22(m): 5:51pm On Sep 03, 2021
Seun:
The US authorities like to exaggerate the danger of African Land snails. The main issue with the snails is that they are an invasive species. When released into a new habitat they can wreck havoc on ecosystems. They eat everything and multiply rapidly. They're not that dangerous. The "meningitis" thing is nothing but a scare tactic, but it's very effective.
Egbon Seun,
good day,it is wonderful been a part of your vision.i like Nairaland,it is fun and educative.
pls this coming Monday is my birthday,Abeg make i drop my acct details make you find your boy somtin?any thing will be appreciated.
thanks for your consideration.

“Up NEPA!” Nigerians In Texas Shout (Photo) / Drone View Of Owerri (Photos) / Top 10 Hangout And Fun Spots In Ibadan And Its Environs

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87