Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,011 members, 7,828,543 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? (21449 Views)

I Want To Be A Nurse But Have BSc In Microbiology / How Much Does A BSC Holder Earn As A University Non-Academic Staff? / Meet Onayemi Temitope Timothy, Hunter With Bsc. And Msc. In Criminology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by spycamera: 9:59pm On Jul 26, 2021
In as much as studying computer Sc is not a guarantee to succeed in IT, it's a course you will never regret because it's relevant everywhere today and in future. Certainly, some are naturally gifted that they can dive into it without formal education and even succeed more, just like any other field but you can't undermine the knowledge gained by core majors.
Meanwhile, contact me if you're interested in acquiring some IT skills such as website development & design, Javascript, SEO, SEM, SMM, etc
We also register and host domains
Email : sogah@hvacnetworkoptions.com
Tel: 07086238866
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by Hassanmaye(m): 10:03pm On Jul 26, 2021
Resolute5ter:
Really.
I am beginning to regret going for the course
Why
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by cryptotech: 10:03pm On Jul 26, 2021
It's depends on the sch, not all sch in Nigerian don't teach practical, many of you think computer science is all about web programming and app programming, once you learn one or two things online in udemy, Linda, you start deceiving your self..there is nothing that will ever replace a train proffesional in his field, if computing is applicable in all field and facet, and the computer field allows you to learn one or two things from it's that will enable you apply it's to your choosen field, that those not automatically makes you an expert or a professional, stop running your mouth on what you don't know.. since the days of babage, Turing, and Ada.. computing will continue to dominate and leads.. Chick's will always fall for this set of proffesional in any organization.. because they are the brain behind everything in a modern organization.

1 Like

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by ikorodureporta: 10:03pm On Jul 26, 2021
Computer science is even the best course to study in Nigeria. Most companies' HR will accept you before those with more technical qualifications like GIS or Geology because they don't understand the weight of those other courses.
Be focused, & venture into one area, even without yr masters you don blow
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by WinterEagle: 10:04pm On Jul 26, 2021
I see alot of comment and I shake my head. Only if you know the worth of that degree in the WEST. That degree was my ticket to relocate out of Nigeria. After settling down here, I tried to talk all my siblings into taking a CS degree but they really do not understand me because they can't see what I see and have seen. I currently work as a software engineer outside nigeria. While others are lamenting about being unable to get jobs after graduation here in Canada, I had multiple offers before graduation. And within two years, I had worked for very big brands in Canada. If you have a CS degree regardless of where you get it from, the language is universal. Its a degree you can have from Nigeria or anywhere else without the need to take any conversion exam of any sort. That degree is a goldmine. As long as you can at least code averagely, the sky is the limit.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by 080bjaked(m): 10:04pm On Jul 26, 2021
Resolute5ter:
[color=#006600][/color]

Computer science is no doubt a very useful course, it permeates almost every facets of life.

Ranging from type writing ťo the complex one's of Artificial Intelligence etc. It is no doubt inevitably relevant in This planet earth �

Many has divert views esp does who studied or are studying other courses in campus on its relevance.

Many opine that its no more lucrative,
Some has it that its value or even level of tutelage in Nigeria is so pitiable.

Dear Naira landers, I seek your criticism on this topic.

I hope it worth yours time..

� You should be proud, grateful and committed to finishing with a great grade.
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by EmmanuelScott1(m): 10:04pm On Jul 26, 2021
Seniorwriter:

Good & start earning with your knowledge now so you won't also regret you didn't during your undergraduate days.
No matter how an amateur you are right now go for a coding major.....start earning by working as freelance to IT firms from the comfort of your workstation.
I have mentees that earn as much as $700 monthly via coding as undergraduates.....most fintechs look out for such undergraduate as hot cakes and cheaper IT labour.
Be guided

@Seniorwriter

Thanks bro, I appreciate
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by Hassanmaye(m): 10:05pm On Jul 26, 2021
Xbee007:
Yes, absolutely it is. But it won't be for you if you rely solely on what you're being taught in school. You need to go outside the scope of the school syllabus and develop yourself.

Learn things that are practical and useful in real life. Don't just be a bookworm. I have seen Computer Science students that can't even operate Ms Word. They are the true definition of hopeless.
Jesu are you serious
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by Hassanmaye(m): 10:05pm On Jul 26, 2021
Conner44:
Hmm, in an organization I know today

Microbiologists are working in their IT department as ATM machine technicians

Computer science graduates are counting money and recording deposits in their bulk room

Islamic religion study graduates are their marketers and

Political science graduates are their branch managers

Can you guess the organization I’m talking about. . . ?
CBN,

1 Like

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by Kimjongun: 10:05pm On Jul 26, 2021
Computer Science is very very lucrative, if you are ready to study hard.

A degree in computer science will teach you core computation.
You will learn how to solve mathematical problems easily.
You will learn how to formulate algorithms from problems.
You will learn how to design systems
Don't think of computer science as a study of computer, computer science is all about computation, computation itself is a mathematical approach of problem solving and it predate the modern computer system.
It's the the study of computation that leads to the invention of the computer.

If you study computer science well, the sky is your limit, especially if you have money to experiment ideas. Get a good laptop and good internet also

Programming is just a way of mathematical/formal approach of problem representation and computation.

You can break into any field

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by Hassanmaye(m): 10:08pm On Jul 26, 2021
medexico:
Yes

As long as you learn a lot of computer skills, I am not saying Microsoft office packages ooo..
That one too Na skill
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by larryking540: 10:09pm On Jul 26, 2021
I will tell you what happens or play in the real world ,u better go get a diploma, /short courses in computer program / be it web design or graphics design ,and use the remaining money to set up a home studio for your job ,,,,,,,4 years in the university ,who Does that again ,,,, except u want to study med ,or engineering
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by abnot: 10:10pm On Jul 26, 2021
People's experiences are different but I'll summarize mine. At the age of 16 I found myself studying microbiology at one of the private universities. Till date I dont know how I ended up there studying microbiology. My grades were not good and my GPA hovered around 1.4 - 1.7 on a 5.0 scale. I was not happy as I felt I was wasting my time. I endured through two years but by the second year I began to express my displeasure to my parents who were financing my studies. Some teachers said negative things about me. I missed many classes for reasons I still cannot tell today. While many were studying for exams and tests I was studying for SAT in isolation. At the beginning of my third year I got admitted into a computer science program at a uni in Maryland with no idea on how it will be funded. After my third year results came out I saw no significant improvement and was forced to tell my parents that I needed to leave the uni. The question was what next ?? I told them about the offer I had from college park and they supported me financially to enable me get the Sevis. With that I was able to get an appointment at the embassy and had my F1 visa application approved. I left Abuja the day I received my passport and two weeks later my dad came to visit me with words of advice/warnings. Many thought it was unwise to dump university after almost 3 years ( I was 18 then) to go start over again but till this day I don't know what was guiding me but I knew that I couldn't blow up that opportunity.

My first Computer Science GPA in fall 2008 was 3.6 on a 4.0 scale and I made the deans list. I became hands on as most of my courses were hands on involving projects, course work and very little theory. Over time my GPA began to slip downwards but I eventually graduated with a 3.24/4. I was so excited about the power of technology and believed I could make money automating many of the mundane tasks in companies, government, et al. After my graduation I moved to UK for a one year work placement in Scotland . Afterwards I did a masters at Edinburgh univeristy and returned to Naija thereafter. I started out by looking for a place to do nysc as I was told teaching/rural development was the norm. I was determined to gain more technology experience during the service year. I was applying via linkedin and sending emails to companies. Interview requests were coming on a weekly basis. By week 6 I landed my first job ( a software development job) that got me working on projects across 4 banks. in lagos The employer told me they couldnt hire me on a permanent basis as I had not fulfilled the NYSC requirement which was part of the law. I was working on contract but earned enough money to be spending some weekends in accra and abuja. By my 9th month I shipped in a car I bought for $13,000 ( as a youth corper). Money made after I successfully built a bank card management system which the company sold to two banks. Two weeks after NYSC employer made me a fulltime offer which I turned down but a month later they made another offer which I accepted. Four months later one the banks I worked for during my service year headhunted me to join their technology team. I was there for some months but in need of more pay I wrote an email to the CEO of a venture capitalist firm showcasing myself. Their Technology team gave me a task which I delivered and they made me an offer which involved working across portfolio companies they had investments in . I took the offer and it exposed me to process automation across multiple sectors. After two yeats of doing that I began to offer the service on a consultancy basis and now looking to go gain professional experience in a developed world.

I for once wondered if I was capable of coping with the rigour of university education but I must say Computer Science rescued me. It brought back the confidence in me. At a point I began to doubt the unemployment problem in Nigeria because I could not believe how openings were coming my way quite often with no God Father. I once even found myself discussing projects with theCEO of one of the big 5 banks who was considering hiring me. My story may not mean anything to you but when I think about what I went through in one of these pentecostal private universities I become more and more grateful to computer science. In my opinion Computer science is a good course particularly if you are sound in the theoretical and practical modules.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by OJURONGBE1(m): 10:14pm On Jul 26, 2021
That's a very marketable course right there.
OP, endeavour to push for a decent grade while you put your ears to the ground for other lucrative skills.
I believed the saying that course of study do not matter in Modern day Corporate world last Friday, as it is only to broaden one horizon.
The organization i joined recently signed a tax agreement with a Consulting company, led to our office by a senior manager , who studied Soil Science at FUNAAB some 10years ago.
She's a qualified chartered Accountant and a CFA charter holder.
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by abbey621(m): 10:29pm On Jul 26, 2021
Computer science as it is being taught in most Nigerian universities is dead and buried, majority of fresh graduates from Nigerian universities cannot name all the components in a typical computer system by looking at it, majority cannot debug systems errors using log files and audit commands. Majority cannot operate unix or linux based systems. Don't even get me started with programming where majority cannot write decent C++ codes to save their lives not to talk of programming in Java or Phyton.

The beauty of computer science is that it is so diverse, as long as you're still calling yourself a computer scientist, you're still a novice in this field. Ogbeni what do you specialize in? Are you a systems admin, full stack developer, front end developer, network admin, linux engineer, architect, security admin or database admin? These are just tips of icebergs, there are well over 20 more specialization that I did not include, so back to the question? Is computer science profitable? YES AND NO!

YES, if you decide to master your domain, if you decide to specialize in a segment and not be a jack of all trade. Yes if you learn by doing ratehr than just relying on some outdated textbook and lectures.

NO, if you think a B.sc in computer science means shin shin. No, if you have nothing to offer but a generic degree and no certifications. Experience beats almost any degree but you do not gain experience by bringing the same things thousands of graduates bring to the table, you've got to reinvent yourself and stay ahead of the curve!

Simply put, computer science is like a child crawling, for the child to walk, he or she must master a technique or two, if you're still in chool, now is the best time to get some practical experience, look for opportunities to learn for free, buy scrap computers, disect and put back together, if you want to be a programmer, write at least 5-6 programs per month, never stop improving. If your focus is on networking better get some certifications and be ready to pass exams like CCNA, Network+ and a bunch of Microsoft certifications. May the God of Babbage & Lovelace be with you!

5 Likes

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by Grandlord: 10:32pm On Jul 26, 2021
Kubernetes:

Google is also developing a new suit called Google career certificates which is intended to help young people get qualifications and skills for high paying jobs without university degree. The suits is tailored for the millennials to learn in-demand skills online in 6 months and will be globally recognized as equivalent of a traditional university degree.
The question is, in the next 15 years, will certificates be required for most jobs?

Thanks for this. I'll have to go get the Android developer certificate.

2 Likes

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by seunny4lif(m): 10:33pm On Jul 26, 2021
Same here
All the guys I know that did masters in CS got jobs immediately
WinterEagle:
I see alot of comment and I shake my head. Only if you know the worth of that degree in the WEST. That degree was my ticket to relocate out of Nigeria. After settling down here, I tried to talk all my siblings into taking a CS degree but they really do not understand me because they can't see what I see and have seen. I currently work as a software engineer outside nigeria. While others are lamenting about being unable to get jobs after graduation here in Canada, I had multiple offers before graduation. And within two years, I had worked for very big brands in Canada. If you have a CS degree regardless of where you get it from, the language is universal. Its a degree you can have from Nigeria or anywhere else without the need to take any conversion exam of any sort. That degree is a goldmine. As long as you can at least code averagely, the sky is the limit.
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by Maj196(m): 10:45pm On Jul 26, 2021
Who get CS degree wey e no use undecided unless if you don't know your onions it will be useless to you. Even though I'm a programmer, I still wish I had the CS degree. No use am play oo shocked

2 Likes

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by Halifaxguy: 11:09pm On Jul 26, 2021
Computer science is one of the most lucrative courses in developed world. I studied computer science in Nigeria university, the bitter truth is 9ja universities are not qualified to teach a dynamically evolving course like computer science. But after my degree in 9ja, I traveled to Canada and went back to study the same computer science degree. I can tell you the difference is very clear. The courses are top notch handled by qualified profs who are also developers in their respective domains. What about the exposures I got from going to work terms. During my work terms I got placements in some big tech companies. As a tech guy you can easily switch from one big firm to another cos of availabilities of tech jobs so far you are good at what you do and which comes with more pay. Computer science is the course of the present and the future future

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by shegzhkn: 11:18pm On Jul 26, 2021
BSsniffer:

CrowdStrike

Right, remote or in country ?? and besides crowd strike is an info sec firm dude ?? does he have ant background in computer security?

Still doubt ur assertion though.
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by shegzhkn: 11:23pm On Jul 26, 2021
abbey621:
Computer science as it is being taught in most Nigerian universities is dead and buried, majority of fresh graduates from Nigerian universities cannot name all the components in a typical computer system by looking at it, majority cannot debug systems errors using log files and audit commands. Majority cannot operate unix or linux based systems. Don't even get me started with programming where majority cannot write decent C++ codes to save their lives not to talk of programming in Java or Phyton.

The beauty of computer science is that it is so diverse, as long as you're still calling yourself a computer scientist, you're still a novice in this field. Ogbeni what do you specialize in? Are you a systems admin, full stack developer, front end developer, network admin, linux engineer, architect, security admin or database admin? These are just tips of icebergs, there are well over 20 more specialization that I did not include, so back to the question? Is computer science profitable? YES AND NO!

YES, if you decide to master your domain, if you decide to specialize in a segment and not be a jack of all trade. Yes if you learn by doing ratehr than just relying on some outdated textbook and lectures.

NO, if you think a B.sc in computer science means shin shin. No, if you have nothing to offer but a generic degree and no certifications. Experience beats almost any degree but you do not gain experience by bringing the same things thousands of graduates bring to the table, you've got to reinvent yourself and stay ahead of the curve!

Simply put, computer science is like a child crawling, for the child to walk, he or she must master a technique or two, if you're still in chool, now is the best time to get some practical experience, look for opportunities to learn for free, buy scrap computers, disect and put back together, if you want to be a programmer, write at least 5-6 programs per month, never stop improving. If your focus is on networking better get some certifications and be ready to pass exams like CCNA, Network+ and a bunch of Microsoft certifications. May the God of Babbage & Lovelace be with you!

How do u know so much about CS curriculum in naija, shey na naija u gt ur undergraduate degree ni or u be lecturer before coming here ??
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by jnrcess(m): 11:31pm On Jul 26, 2021
Resolute5ter:
Really.
I am beginning to regret going for the course

I already have my regrets too. Studying computer science in a federal university in Nigeria is a no for me. Wish I knew earlier.
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by abbey621(m): 11:49pm On Jul 26, 2021
shegzhkn:

How do u know so much about CS curriculum in naija, shey na naija u gt ur undergraduate degree ni or u be lecturer before coming here ??

Yes my first degree was in computer science and maths at Olabisi Onabanjo University back in 2007/2008. I also have 2 friends who are lecturers now at Unilag and they share the same sentiments, the cirriculum does not measure up to 21st century I.T. realities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by BSsniffer: 11:50pm On Jul 26, 2021
shegzhkn:

Right, remote or in country ?? and besides crowd strike is an info sec firm dude ?? does he have ant background in computer security?

Still doubt ur assertion though.

Not sure about the terms of his work but seems he's doing remote and the role he got was data analyst related, not sure if he needs expirence in computer security for that.

Are you doubting the salary or what exactly? #3mill is around $6k a month/$70k a year. Am not within the tech sector but some developers with a cs degree earn $80k-$120k a year.
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by DEBUU: 11:55pm On Jul 26, 2021
Please Experts in the house, I saw this course IT Automation with Python on Google Career . I want to enroll for the course, I need your advice.

1 Like

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by shegzhkn: 12:50am On Jul 27, 2021
BSsniffer:

Not sure about the terms of his work but seems he's doing remote and the role he got was data analyst related, not sure if he needs expirence in computer security for that.

Are you doubting the salary or what exactly? #3mill is around $6k a month/$70k a year. Am not within the tech sector but some developers with a cs degree earn $80k-$120k a year.

Lol, doubting the pay of a swe, hell no.
Just wanted to know his offering to the firm.

There are Young folks taking home 250k USD plus annually, so definitely not the financial aspect.

1 Like

Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by sharone21(f): 1:22am On Jul 27, 2021
Note that Indians are the leaders in this field, so u must up your game.
Generally, overseas opens up for u if u are good, starting from ESTONIA.
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by Xpol: 2:35am On Jul 27, 2021
WinterEagle:
please what can you say about IT(BSc)
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by bibbiana(f): 2:48am On Jul 27, 2021
Very lucrative

Register and earn in dollars after performing tasks. Free registration and no upgrade before earning. It's totally free.
https://rupee4click.com/4qurn
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by harmony75: 2:52am On Jul 27, 2021
Computer science is the first best course you can study Naw if you're smart you have great opportunities anywhere in the world! Pls don't take the comments of some coconut heads here seriously!
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by Xpol: 2:56am On Jul 27, 2021
abbey621:

please one of my younger brothers insist on going for IT instead of CS any advice on that?
Re: Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? by ofiko123(m): 3:22am On Jul 27, 2021
No course is bad, if you know your way very well...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

60,000 Construction Workers Lose Jobs In 4 Months - Vanguard News / Police Service Commission Appoints 6 DIGs, Promotes 14 CPs, 230 SPs, others / Things You Should Never Say At Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.