Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,965 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Have You Ever Been Scammed Trying To Rent An Apartment In Lagos? Please Share - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Have You Ever Been Scammed Trying To Rent An Apartment In Lagos? Please Share (560 Views)

My Family Has Been Scammed / 10 Cheapest Places To Rent An Apartment In Lagos State / Where Is The Best Part In Ajah Lagos To Rent An Apartment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Been Scammed Trying To Rent An Apartment In Lagos? Please Share by Speak2klein: 9:31pm On Aug 03, 2021
So recently, I have been trying to get an apartment in Lagos. My first choice was a mini flat but after seeing the places I was taken to by agents for my budget, I decided to scale down. That means use the same budget but for a self-contain.

I finally found a place that I liked. A new building which was just being concluded. I was told the rent was 350k per year and total package N550k.

The only issue was that I had to wait for 2 weeks for them to “finish up”. I agreed but they agent said we had to pay for forms to secure the place. An extra 20k which is not included in the rent. I paid.

Slowly, two weeks became 3 weeks, a month and eventually a month and half. I was finally told place was ready but I should wait for the landlord to give his final go ahead.

We waited for 2 days and became hesitant. I kept calling the agent guy to ask what was going on. The house is ready and we’ve gotten forms and we’re ready to pay so what’s going on.

The agent eventually texted me in the night that he was in fact angry with the landlord. He had increase the rent to 400k, collecting two years and so the new total package was N1m and 50k.

I was in shock. He said I should give him a final day for them to persuade the landlord. The next day, I had to call him before he responded and said he will find me another place.

I asked about the 20k and he said “you know it’s company now? We can’t refund it”.

The name of the agency is Zeekaph Concepts Services. I am so disappointed. After almost 2 months of waiting, they did me dirty.

Oh I didn’t even mention that I had gotten one place earlier, even put my own lock and the next day, the caretaker said someone had paid before me and so I wasn’t the rightful occupant. My agent said he didn’t know and they refunded my money.

Lagos is a crazy place.

What has your experience been like guys?
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed Trying To Rent An Apartment In Lagos? Please Share by Lyndasay: 10:00am On Sep 18, 2021
Speak2klein:
So recently, I have been trying to get an apartment in Lagos. My first choice was a mini flat but after seeing the places I was taken to by agents for my budget, I decided to scale down. That means use the same budget but for a self-contain.

I finally found a place that I liked. A new building which was just being concluded. I was told the rent was 350k per year and total package N550k.

The only issue was that I had to wait for 2 weeks for them to “finish up”. I agreed but they agent said we had to pay for forms to secure the place. An extra 20k which is not included in the rent. I paid.

Slowly, two weeks became 3 weeks, a month and eventually a month and half. I was finally told place was ready but I should wait for the landlord to give his final go ahead.

We waited for 2 days and became hesitant. I kept calling the agent guy to ask what was going on. The house is ready and we’ve gotten forms and we’re ready to pay so what’s going on.

The agent eventually texted me in the night that he was in fact angry with the landlord. He had increase the rent to 400k, collecting two years and so the new total package was N1m and 50k.

I was in shock. He said I should give him a final day for them to persuade the landlord. The next day, I had to call him before he responded and said he will find me another place.

I asked about the 20k and he said “you know it’s company now? We can’t refund it”.

The name of the agency is Zeekaph Concepts Services. I am so disappointed. After almost 2 months of waiting, they did me dirty.

Oh I didn’t even mention that I had gotten one place earlier, even put my own lock and the next day, the caretaker said someone had paid before me and so I wasn’t the rightful occupant. My agent said he didn’t know and they refunded my money.

Lagos is a crazy place.

Did Zeekaph concept actually get you the place? I see them all over property pro. Are they genuine? Hmmm
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed Trying To Rent An Apartment In Lagos? Please Share by Lostchild(m): 10:37am On Sep 18, 2021
Speak2klein

I nearly beat one elderly house agent one day because I have been scammed by house agent many times but not in Lagos.

I know one house agent. He will rent an apartment for 5 different persons and used their money to do business. He causes so much loss to people over his evil and greed.

He continue to play people and get away with it. One day he was shot. They bullet him an killed him.

Judgement is well served
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed Trying To Rent An Apartment In Lagos? Please Share by Lostchild(m): 10:42am On Sep 18, 2021
Speak2klein

What I do that works for me, I just choose and go to my favourite part of town, and walk all around the neighborhood, street to street. I always see houses for rent in this way.

I don't used house agent anymore because they are terrible.
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed Trying To Rent An Apartment In Lagos? Please Share by JayHymn: 8:47pm On Dec 27, 2021
Lostchild:
Speak2klein

What I do that works for me, I just choose and go to my favourite part of town, and walk all around the neighborhood, street to street. I always see houses for rent in this way.

I don't used house agent anymore because they are terrible.

but you have to contact the agent finally right? but I believe you end up getting what you want rather than paying 5k inspection fee and not getting anything. I may just start doing the same thing
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed Trying To Rent An Apartment In Lagos? Please Share by JayHymn: 8:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
Speak2klein:

Lagos is a crazy place.

non-refundable 20k for forms is ridiculous. Let's assume it's 3 forms - both typing and printing won't amount to 5k. I hope this thread becomes big and we start mentioning names of agents that take advantage of people seeking for accommodation so others can be weary of them. when there is a popular thread that reviews housing agents, they will start treating people better. According to Lagos Tenancy Law 2011 (which is valid in almost all parts of Lagos and all parts in mainland), it's illegal to demand for more than 1 year rent from a client
Re: Have You Ever Been Scammed Trying To Rent An Apartment In Lagos? Please Share by Lostchild(m): 4:11pm On Jan 02, 2022
JayHymn:

but you have to contact the agent finally right? but I believe you end up getting what you want rather than paying 5k inspection fee and not getting anything. I may just start doing the same thing

Most house agent are dishonest and their first aim is how to collect consultation and inspection fee from you, which you may end up in disappointment over what they show you.

What I do is, I go to any of my favouite neigbohood to look for house myself, but it is very streesfull

The only good side of using house agent is that, most landlord do not have that time to place vacancy outside their building, what they do is that, they contact agent and ask the agent to bring a person of their choice.

That is the only benefit of using house agent.

(1) (Reply)

4 Bedroom Terrace Duplex For Sale Lifecamp Abuja / 3 Bedroom Semi-detached Bungalow: N19 Million (outright, 0-6 Months) At Bogije / Why Houses Have Parapet ? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.