Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,553 members, 7,819,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? (10722 Views)

Top 5 Careers That Can Make Your Spouse Cheat On You / Promising Careers And Professions Emerging In Africa / When Is It Too Late To Get A Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by bylineby: 6:09pm On May 16, 2011
I'm bored with my job at a local law firm. I want to do something else, but I am afraid that at 40, I am too old. Does anybody here know of somebody around that age who switched careers and still succeeded?
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by queensmith: 11:47am On May 17, 2011
Its neva to late bebe! wink

Just need to make sure you can still provide for the family whilst your pursuing your new career. At 40 most are just settling in to their ideal roles anyways.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by monkeyleg: 11:50am On May 17, 2011
@bylineby,

No it is never too late. research suggests that most of us will change careers at least 3 times in our life time. The key thing is that you most be interested in making that change.

I would personally advise changing to another profession which will make full use of your current work and experience, probably another arm of Law, but to be honest, I know what you mean. I have been through the same
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by AjanleKoko: 11:59am On May 17, 2011
It's a bit difficult to change careers in Nigeria. But not impossible. You must be ready to sacrifice something though, and hopefully you're not under financial pressure. But you can try another job with different responsibilities outside Law.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by marjo: 12:03pm On May 17, 2011
What exactly do you do in the law firm : are you a lawyer, clerk, office manager etc
what are your duties, what courses certifications have you acquired over the years
all these can point you in a direction you may want to try. you obviously cant start as a trainee or entry level.
whatever the case, your decision should also factor in income, family, job satisfaction.
cheers.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Nobody: 12:03pm On May 17, 2011
@ Op You may answer the following questions before arriving at some processes on how to move forward .How long have you been with this local chamber? why do you want to leave? What do you think you can do? I think you can start by asking yourself what you feel like doing and how skilled you are in doing that. A point comes in someone's life that you think you need a bigger challenge especially for people who are quite/relatively ambitious.
There is no rule that says you must work for someone all through your life. From your post ,it sounds you are thinking in the direction of getting another job somewhere which i think is not the best at this age but hey it is also not impossible depending on what a prospective employer wants.
If i were you, i would be looking in the direction of going into legal consulting which takes a lot of creativity, identification of where your strength lies, how knowlegeable you are regarding the field of consultation to ply.
The summary is that life begins at 40 and it is never too late to try something new!
All the best,
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by monkeyleg: 12:04pm On May 17, 2011
Well it all depends, I have a good friend who changed from Law to Property development, another who changed from Medicine to Hotel management. The key thing is desire to change, and determination to see the change through. everything is possible, but if you have serious financial dependancies, it make it harder, but it is still possible
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by TeeJay6(m): 12:08pm On May 17, 2011
@Poster
Where there is a will there is a way. As some posters have mentioned it's all down to you and the amount of sacrifice you are willing to make, but for me the most important thing is how determined you are and whether it is actually a career change you need as there is nothing worse than making this move and still feel unfulfilled
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by kodewrita(m): 12:11pm On May 17, 2011
Yes you can and still succeed. But I suggest you get the second job ready WHILE still working at the first one. Move steadily. Property development is not a bad idea. Politics (in nigeria) is an option.

Look for a field where your obvious maturity gives you unfair advantage.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Nimshi: 12:13pm On May 17, 2011
It is obvious that career changes are easier when the new career has a low entry threshold (law to property development, medicine to hotel management, say; changes in the other directions would involve substantial sacrifices. . .); the key, then is to consider exactly what you do at the law firm, and what may be your potentials in your new career. Consider achieving qualifications for your new career while working at your regular job (or working reduced hours) if financial commitments will be a challenge.

Is it too late at 40? Probably not. Not to be morbid, life expectancy for Nigerian males is about 55 years; a career change could enhance life quality: it's notfun to be bored at40.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by AVISENNA: 12:16pm On May 17, 2011
I suggest that you move now , while you still have the chance. i have a friend and she is really sick and tired of her job inn the Legal Profession . She is such a wonderful lawyer , cause she knows the profession inside out. On the other hand she would really excel if she took that knowledge in to some other industry, media, communication and stuffs like that. In your case it's not too late just work towards it ASAP.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by olugbemi4u: 12:23pm On May 17, 2011
i dont know wat else u want after being a professional lawyer.i want to read law to setup my own private chamber is the best profession but if u are not radical u are on ur ownnnnn
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Nobody: 12:32pm On May 17, 2011
bylineby:

I'm bored with my job at a local law firm. I want to do something else, but I am afraid that at 40, I am too old. Does anybody here know of somebody around that age who switched careers and still succeeded?

Go into the world now and preach the gospel, you can't never be tired of abundant life of God in that service, and you can't be tired of the people you will demote from the kingdom of darkness to light of God.

God is calling you. Go and preach the gospel now. Start from today it's a command to you.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by mount1ng(m): 12:39pm On May 17, 2011
Many has fallen for this career thing that at the end they say they are bore. Your passion will always call for you in due time. It was after 25 years God told told Kenneth Hagins, that he was not called to be a pastor. Seek God for direction. He created you with a passion for something. look for that passion within you and follow it. It goes beyond the money your making. Somebody said, that many will go to hell for doing the wrong job. I want to be so.

It's never too late.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by ypad: 12:44pm On May 17, 2011
It's never too late. Start up something now. If you want to be safe employ, I advice you put your eyes into Agriculture or Computer program. Good luck!
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by deco2come: 12:45pm On May 17, 2011
[size=13pt]At 43, Andrew Carnegie was bankrupt but due to persistence and believe, he is the 3 richest man after King Solomon and John D. Rockerfella.

Ok, let's talk about something that happens for my backyard. One of the richest man in my hometown, at 47 still lives in one room apartment and sometimes ask friends and family money for food. But today, if you said the man is poor, what you mean is that he is worth 500million naira. My brother you need to see the this man's house. There are millions of stories like this.

I suggest you grab a copy of some good motivational books like THINK AND GROW RICH, EAT THAT FROG, 7 HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE, IN PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS, GOAL, THE POWER OF BELIEVING, THINK BIG, ETC. Before you finished two of these books, then you realize that you haven't even started life. Suppose you will die at 90-100years, my guy you still have more than 50years ahead.

Just find what you like doing and go ahead and do it. Good luck.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by dangerzone: 12:46pm On May 17, 2011
Ofcourse you are still very young to be a professional pastor or national road safety chairman,
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by ufumes(m): 12:53pm On May 17, 2011
If its a career you are passionate about, its very possible. Atleast, its better than dying unfulfilled.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Texther(m): 12:59pm On May 17, 2011
It is not too late, all u need is CONCENTRATION
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Outstrip(f): 1:32pm On May 17, 2011
You just have to believe in yourself. As long as you are alive then you should not place limitations on yourself. I know someone who became a pharmacist at 45. If you want to do it then just do it. Good luck
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by paule: 1:47pm On May 17, 2011
Your post is not complete, which career would you like to change to?
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by badlaw(f): 1:53pm On May 17, 2011
hey man go and go now to make a change, it is not late, b/4 it will be late,don't wait or u waist the time talking, go now
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Sagamite(m): 2:29pm On May 17, 2011
bylineby:

You need to highlight (1) what you have in mind that you want to change to and (2) what you think are your responsibilities and barriers (e.g. family sustenance, academic line/history, financial position etc) to be able to get any quality advice.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Kinikini: 2:40pm On May 17, 2011
If you will mail you resume to me. I know a coy that the job might bring out the fire in you again where the reward is equally good. It will use the current knowledge you have to do something different. Provided you fit the vacant role.
amby_jibs@yahoo.com
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Fhemmmy: 2:41pm On May 17, 2011
It is never too late.
remember what they said . . . .  Life begins at 40?
If you are determined and serious, you will make it . . . . just make sure you take a calculated risk

Good luck
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Sagamite(m): 2:51pm On May 17, 2011
mount1ng:

Many has fallen for this career thing that at the end they say they are bore. Your passion will always call for you in due time. It was after 25 years God told told Kenneth Hagins, that he was not called to be a pastor. Seek God for direction. He created you with a passion for something. look for that passion within you and follow it. It goes beyond the money your making. Somebody said, that many will go to hell for doing the wrong job. I want to be so.

It's never too late.

[Scoffs]

God told him my arse! undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by namdo(m): 2:59pm On May 17, 2011
what trainings do you have? what is your ideal job or profitable vocation? work towards these if you already have the training otherwise get a short training towards your loved vocation and get on at it. By 60 you would be self sustained and rich by some standard, if black witch no come inside grin cool, trust me.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by buzugee(m): 3:11pm On May 17, 2011
a friend of mine is in medical school. the oldest person in their class is 67 years old.
in the bible, the book of GENESIS 6 VS 3, Then the lord said 'my spirit will not struggle with humans forever, because they are flesh and blood. they will live 120 years. so all things being equal, if you eat healthy and do all the right things, you are supposed to live to 120 years old. this means you have 80 more years to go. its never too late to change careers. so long as you have support and breath.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by MMM2(m): 3:35pm On May 17, 2011
op
with God all things re possible.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by SuperT(m): 3:53pm On May 17, 2011
Is not too Late, but make sure you pick right this time.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by kufreabasi(m): 4:41pm On May 17, 2011
bylineby:

The scripture cannot be broken, Abraham in the bible was 75 years old when God visited him and told him to leave his parent to alnd that God shown to him. The bible says Abraham prosper and had enough in life. At 40, you are still waxing strong and can do something for your future. Press on.
Re: Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? by Nobody: 4:45pm On May 17, 2011
Instead of sensually jumping to another career, use this nexus point as an opportunity to really find out from God what HE wants you to do with the rest of your life.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Start Egg Supply Business (step By Step) / How To Start A Gift Card Trading Business In Nigeria(itunes/amazon/walmart) / 9 Things Bosses Do That Make Employees Quit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.