Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,044 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

B.sc In Mathematics - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / B.sc In Mathematics (10557 Views)

HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / M.sc In Biochemistry Or B.sc In Nursing, Which Should I Choose? / How Do I Start A Career In Telecommunication With A B.sc In Mathematics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

B.sc In Mathematics by SageNaruto(m): 8:24am On Nov 16, 2011
Pls, I'm presently a student of unilorin's mathematics department and I'd like 2 know wat kind of job opportunities will be available 2 me on my graduation. . .
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by tanimola22: 1:38pm On Nov 16, 2011
Two of your school's alumni were my colleagues abroad. Another one even did NYSC with me at one of the unbelievable villages in Nigeria. He was a very nice guy, my pardi any day, any time. Very yorubalic and funny guy sha.hahaha

Of the two that were my colleagues abroad, one is now doing a PhD in Quantitative Finance at a top 100sh university in Europe. The other one, I don't much about his current moves. But I guess he is also doing a PhD. These people graduated at the top of their classes, excluding the one we did NYSC together. In fact, all of them graduated from your same department. My advice to you, therefore, is to really do your best and graduate with the best degree class and grades you can get. There are many things you can do as a Mathematics graduate; be it in Economics, Finance, Engineering, Computer Science, Management, just name it, your skills will always be needed. You can even begin ICAN. My guy at one of the investment banks in Nigeria did Mathematics at naija's jaiye jaiye university. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant before graduating. He even won many prizes sef.

For jobs, you can work as a financial analyst, credit analyst, programmer(the top guy in my undergrad is currently a programmer at, make i no talk) and in fact anything you set your eyes on. Every industry needs analytically skilled people and that is the main area where Mathematics gives you an edge.  Mathematics also trains you to be very flexible so that you are not rigid and can adapt to anything. Those theorems and proofs will help shape your brain. I am so happy I did Mathematics. I am sure you will also be happy if and only if you use your undergraduate time well.

So, go ahead and do very very well. The sky will be your starting point.

Yours truly,
Tanimola22

PS: If your GPA is near at least a 4.00 and you are in your final year, then please send me an email. I have some useful information for you. See ma profile for my email addy. The subject of the email should be in capital letters and read: ILORIN UNIVERSITY. Remember the if

1 Like

Re: B.sc In Mathematics by SageNaruto(m): 2:05pm On Nov 16, 2011
^^^
Tanx a lot 4 ur advice, I'm in 200L btw,
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by chamber2(m): 3:17pm On Nov 16, 2011
Very insightful, tanimola22

Actually, maths is one of the best subjects any body can do in school. Some people say it's the easiest shocked It is gives one the ability to reason logically and analytically due to its systematic process of problem solving. However, i will advise against studying mathematics as a single subject especially at the postgrad level. The beauty of maths is better appreciated when combined with other disciplines/fields. This is because maths seems to be a tool for proper understanding and application of other fields of study.

Just as tanimola22 noted, it will be of high value if you could combine your knowledge of maths with courses like accounting, economics, computer sci or maybe finance. In this way you will be able to apply your knowledge of maths in solving everyday practical problems. Being in 200 level i will suggest, if you have the resources and interest, that you develop some programing or accounting skills. Leveraging on your maths skills you will do well in any of these fields.

Yours sincerely has never been a maths person (even though i studied economics at undergrad),maybe due to the nature of teachers i met during my pry and secondary school days. The much i can get in maths is a B, but not below a C. Calculus has come to be my favourite, maybe because i spent most of my time studying it during my undergrad econs courses. I am currently doing a postgrad in a different field. However, i am still working hard to improve on my maths skills before i commence my masters in econs later in my career. I wish i did more maths courses during my school days cos it actually affected my grade and performance during my university day. Even during job hunt, my average knowledge of general maths actually affected me to an extent. I could remember my first aptitude test at KPMG. I thought i would do very well at the test surprisingly, the maths aspect brought my marks down.

In a nutshell, maths is a very good course to study. Give it your best and you won't regret it. Just as tanimola22 noted, you can choose to work as a financial analyst, an actuary, programmer or even an economist. The opportunities are endless. Also, good grades matter these days. especially now that the labour market is experiencing a kind of glut. The least that is expected of you now is a 2.1. Don't join the group that will blame their lecturers or institution for their inability to graduate with a top grade or claim that those who made good grades bribed or slept with their lecturers. Use your resources and opportunities to your own advantage and do not blame any one later.

1 Like

Re: B.sc In Mathematics by SageNaruto(m): 6:15pm On Nov 16, 2011
^^^ ur point has also been taken into note, tanx!!!
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by tosine25: 7:08pm On Nov 16, 2011
Nice one, Tanimola wink You've said it all. I'm also a mathematician in my final year ‎​​‎​​​but I didn't satisfy your IF THEN case but its ŊO̶̷̩̥̊͡t a problem to me because most tymes ȋ̝̊̅§ ŊO̶̷̩̥̊͡t always about the GP but about what you real know ‎​​​@̤̥̣̈̊̇п̲̣̣̥d̶̲̥̅̊ how you can apply it to real life problem.

Its S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ because most of us grow old too soon ‎​@̤̥̣̈̊̇п̲̣̣̥d̶̲̥̅̊ wise too later
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by tanimola22: 1:44pm On Nov 18, 2011
tosine25:

Nice one, Tanimola wink You've said it all. I'm also a mathematician in my final year ‎​​‎​​​but I didn't satisfy your IF THEN case but its ŊO̶̷̩̥̊͡t a problem to me because most tymes ȋ̝̊̅§ ŊO̶̷̩̥̊͡t always about the GP but about what you real know ‎​​​@̤̥̣̈̊̇п̲̣̣̥d̶̲̥̅̊ how you can apply it to real life problem.

Its S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ because most of us grow old too soon ‎​@̤̥̣̈̊̇п̲̣̣̥d̶̲̥̅̊ wise too later

Hi Tosin,

The points you raised cannot be debated; they are completely true. However, if you can, please manage to make a 2.1, please, even if it is a 3.500000000. Things become better simplified when your grades are stellar than when your grades are average.

But you can bone the grade thingy if you've already got great plans other than pursuing graduate studies on full scholarship or competing to be invited for job aptitude tests at various Naija's top companies.

I wish you all the very best.

T.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by jasp12(m): 8:18pm On Nov 19, 2011
nice advice from tanimolä22 n chambers, i.m a maths graduate(2.1) currently doing a PGD in geophysics, @sagenarutu just think of wat u ve d passion n start workin 2wards it
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by mrkels(m): 7:59am On Nov 20, 2011
jasp12:

nice advice from tanimolä22 n chambers, i.m a maths graduate(2.1) currently doing a PGD in geophysics, @sagenarutu just think of wat u ve d passion n start workin 2wards it
Where are you doing this, i mean the university
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by tosine25: 8:23am On Nov 20, 2011
Thks
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 2:18am On Nov 21, 2011
Mathematics is a courese of interest and is better applied when combined when applied with other field of study
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by jasp12(m): 7:32pm On Nov 21, 2011
@mrkels , unilag
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by mrkels(m): 8:20pm On Nov 21, 2011
jasp12:

@mrkels , unilag
ok brother is it too late to register for the programme now? Pls inbox me on mrkels at gmail dot com
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by Philipbricks(m): 8:29pm On Jun 26, 2012
pls somebody needs ths job, tell a friend1. ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGER
Qualification:HND/B.sc in any Humanitarian discipline, with 3years post NYSC experience in Administrative duties. Aged: minimum of 35 years. proficiency in computer applications is added advantage.
2. ACCOUNTING OFFICER
HND/B.sc in accounting, 2 years experience post NYSC. Aged: 25-30 years , with cognizance knowledge of computer office applications
3. BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT EXECUTIVES
OND, HND,/B.sc in marketing, Business Admin/ Management. ability to work with less supervision, computer operation and knowledge of Lagos are added advantage
Aged: 25-36 years
The Executive Director: GOGAPS PRODUCTIONS & SERVICES LTD, LAGOS.
send your CV to gpsmediabooks@yahoo.co.uk
with a age essay on "publishing a key to knowledge"
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by Lisa1: 1:51am On Jun 27, 2012
Very nice![img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by 377: 4:25pm On Jun 27, 2012
Guy keep ur course up.is a marketable course.i had a degree in banking and finance with a 2.1.masters in financial economics and am doing another masters MSc Financial Mathematics @D national Mathematical center abuja.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by Evagreenfields: 6:27pm On Jun 27, 2012
Mathematics is a very marketable course. M proud I read Mathematics and Economics @ b.sc level even though I never dreamt of it in secondary school. I also love the assumption of intelligence because of mathematics. Even though I'm yet to get a job, I'm believing God it ll happen soon.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by ishmael(m): 5:50pm On Jun 28, 2012
Evagreenfields: Mathematics is a very marketable course. M proud I read Mathematics and Economics @ b.sc level even though I never dreamt of it in secondary school. I also love the assumption of intelligence because of mathematics. Even though I'm yet to get a job, I'm believing God it ll happen soon.
Why waiting to get a paid job? Why not use ur maths/econs skills to create a job or jobs for urself and others? I also read maths/stats, worked with a bank for 8 years, resigned and now self-employed as a statistician/data analyst. We conduct researches, market surveys, dissertation/project data analysis utilizing robust statistical softwares. If u are good in economic and business data collection and analyses then u are good to go. Regards.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by Evagreenfields: 6:53pm On Jun 28, 2012
^^^
Thanks for the advice. It might be easy for you to say so because u have probably gathered the necessary experience(s), expertise and networking required to do that. I'm kinda fresh out of school. Rounded off nysc in Feb.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by ishmael(m): 8:05pm On Jun 28, 2012
Evagreenfields: ^^^
Thanks for the advice. It might be easy for you to say so because u have probably gathered the necessary experience(s), expertise and networking required to do that. I'm kinda fresh out of school. Rounded off nysc in Feb.
U will surely get there with time. Just like u rightly said, u actually need to gather some experience, and with time u can stand on ur own as a consultant. Wish u the best.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by Evagreenfields: 8:27pm On Jun 28, 2012
^^ thank you
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by ishmael(m): 2:18pm On Jun 29, 2012
Evagreenfields: ^^ thank you
I will also advice you try and arm urself with working knowledge of stats and econometrics packages like spss, minitab, eviews, sas, stata, etc. With good working knowledge of these u will be able to provide support for researchers in the form of questionnaire design, sample size determination, data collection, data analysis, interpretation of analyses results, etc. on economic surveys, social surveys, market surveys, scientific researches, etc. You can start by providing statistical support for masters students (even Bsc) in ur alma mater, and they will pay u for such services. You can begin ur networking from there; who knows, u could work for people who would really like ur work and decide to recommend u to people who handle big time projects like UN survey projects, who may consult u to support them execute such projects.

2 Likes

Re: B.sc In Mathematics by Evagreenfields: 7:49pm On Jun 30, 2012
^ ^ you have a point there. i will try to get the softwares and learn what they entail. thanks a bunch
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by ishmael(m): 11:56am On Jul 01, 2012
Evagreenfields: ^ ^ you have a point there. i will try to get the softwares and learn what they entail. thanks a bunch
pls do. It will really keep you busy, and like i said u may be lucky to work with a team of UN researchers or get to carry out a political survey for a politician who may want to know his chances of winning an election, or to have an insight of how electorates feel about his performance. U can market ur survey ideas to them, and with God they will give u an opportunity to work for them, paying u handsomely.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by Evagreenfields: 2:36pm On Jul 01, 2012
ishmael: pls do. It will really keep you busy, and like i said u may be lucky to work with a team of UN researchers or get to carry out a political survey for a politician who may want to know his chances of winning an election, or to have an insight of how electorates feel about his performance. U can market ur survey ideas to them, and with God they will give u an opportunity to work for them, paying u handsomely.
on a 2nd thought, i could be your understudy grin watcha say? grin wink

1 Like

Re: B.sc In Mathematics by ishmael(m): 4:01pm On Jul 02, 2012
Evagreenfields:
on a 2nd thought, i could be your understudy grin watcha say? grin wink
Any how you like it sha. If u were in Abuja I would have shown u some aspects of these practically.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by Evagreenfields: 6:17pm On Jul 03, 2012
ishmael: Any how you like it sha. If u were in Abuja I would have shown u some aspects of these practically.
awww thanks tho. maybe one of these days, it might happen.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by ishmael(m): 8:37pm On Jul 03, 2012
Evagreenfields:
awww thanks tho. maybe one of these days, it might happen.
Do u live in Abuja? Sometimes i get to provide statistical support for some researchers and students in Abuja. I sometimes provide stats packages training too. I could just show u what we do with data using softwares like spss, minitab, etc.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by Evagreenfields: 9:19pm On Jul 03, 2012
^ ^ sadly m in lagos.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by ishmael(m): 3:16pm On Jul 04, 2012
Evagreenfields: ^ ^ sadly m in lagos.
Hope to see u in Abuja. Abuja is a nice place to hussle too like Lagos.
Re: B.sc In Mathematics by Simcha: 1:19pm On Jul 03, 2016
tanimola22:
Two of your school's alumni were my colleagues abroad. Another one even did NYSC with me at one of the unbelievable villages in Nigeria. He was a very nice guy, my pardi any day, any time. Very yorubalic and funny guy sha.hahaha

Of the two that were my colleagues abroad, one is now doing a PhD in Quantitative Finance at a top 100sh university in Europe. The other one, I don't much about his current moves. But I guess he is also doing a PhD. These people graduated at the top of their classes, excluding the one we did NYSC together. In fact, all of them graduated from your same department. My advice to you, therefore, is to really do your best and graduate with the best degree class and grades you can get. There are many things you can do as a Mathematics graduate; be it in Economics, Finance, Engineering, Computer Science, Management, just name it, your skills will always be needed. You can even begin ICAN. My guy at one of the investment banks in Nigeria did Mathematics at naija's jaiye jaiye university. He qualified as a Chartered Accountant before graduating. He even won many prizes sef.

For jobs, you can work as a financial analyst, credit analyst, programmer(the top guy in my undergrad is currently a programmer at, make i no talk) and in fact anything you set your eyes on. Every industry needs analytically skilled people and that is the main area where Mathematics gives you an edge.  Mathematics also trains you to be very flexible so that you are not rigid and can adapt to anything. Those theorems and proofs will help shape your brain. I am so happy I did Mathematics. I am sure you will also be happy if and only if you use your undergraduate time well.

So, go ahead and do very very well. The sky will be your starting point.

Yours truly,
Tanimola22

PS: If your GPA is near at least a 4.00 and you are in your final year, then please send me an email. I have some useful information for you. See ma profile for my email addy. The subject of the email should be in capital letters and read: ILORIN UNIVERSITY. Remember the if

BSc Mathematics or B.Ed Mathematics? Which one has more prospects and which one would you advice me to go for?

(1) (2) (Reply)

::why I Chose To Study Law:: / FG Suspends Salaries Of 686 Civil Servants Over Unverified Records / Ecobank Promotes 1,000 Employees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.