Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,571 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past (24192 Views)

Music, Dance: What Gave Fulani Youths Joy In The Past (Video, Pictures) / Restrictions Of Movement Around the Oba of Benin Palace? / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by gregyboy(m): 8:23pm On Aug 11, 2021
[img][/img]The oba of benin was feared in the entire Nigeria although he didnt conquer most of the territories is influenced stretched on,
Oba ewuare was the first king who first expanded the kingdom of benin into foreign territories of igbo and yoruba he was at a time condemn for too much waring, the other obas who followed were cautioned from waring like ewuare during this period the oba benin were still war kings.. Overtime the benins began expanding for econmic purposes areas were they didn't find economic importance where left alone
The Lagos occupation by benin was not intentional not until aworis began attacking the benin traders in lagos and only the use of force by the oba of benin could bring the end on aworis violence on benin traders this
was the reason lagos was occupied and the aworis came under the benin rule
It is also a known fact that the Benins really
Wasn't the first tribe the Portuguese encountered the Portuguese actually encountered many tribes like aworis, ijebus at the shores
Before they discovered benins the itsekiris
Who described benin as ile binu angry people had led the Portuguese to their overlords the benins in the hinterland
... Since the benins were already controlling large territories and well organized the Portuguese sort to make friendship with the benins and wrote to the Europeans on the country benin this brought the interest of many europeans to African shores
Areas the benins didnt exercise control over was greatly influenced by the benin rules, after the occupation by the benins in lagos the ijebus traders were displace for almost 70yrs until the benins pulled her total influence from lagos in the 17century...and the ijebus came back trading with the europeans, oyos were also displaced from ekiti and ondo during the yoruba civil when they invaded ekiti and ondo with the help of the oba of benin the oyo army's were defeated in the late 1800 of the ekiti parapo war... The benins has also supplied the major weapons used in the yoruba civil war and the benin were heavily feared, in the yorubas and igbo areas, there is also a saying in ondo that just as the oba of benin commands respect on earth so as eledumare commands respect in heaven
The clothes sewed in benin was taking as far as Ghana, saotome and dahomey to be resold by the europeans, it was also documented that the king of whydah( Dahomey) now known as benin republic were good trading friends with the oba of benin in the past, when they usually come to trade in lagos island and badagary areas were the oba benin power streched over, more reason they took the name benin republic in honor of the friendship with benin

The screenshot was translated from french to English with a goggle translator.. It was originally from a French documentation in benin
[img]screenshot20210811174432com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpeg[/img]

1 Like

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by gregyboy(m): 8:26pm On Aug 11, 2021
Key spellings to note

Quini = means benin

Obi quorano = obayuwana

Yebo and yaribah = ijebus and yorubas
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by GardenOfGod(m): 8:28pm On Aug 11, 2021
History is good
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by dawnomike(m): 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2021
The ancient Bini was a civilization that stood out in history...

2 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Isusugbaghada: 6:24am On Aug 13, 2021
Nice one man
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by gregyboy(m): 11:51pm On Aug 16, 2021
Hmm
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 7:32am On Aug 17, 2021
Your first screenshot shows the opinion of a Bini man as related to a foreigner. And that is supposed to be a historical fact?? LMAO!

Your second screenshot which claims that Oyo lost a section of Eastern Yoruba frontier to Benin is actually a claim which comes straight from a Bini source.

Check the footnote 70 and thank me later. Prof. R. C.C. Law knew exactly what he was doing. grin

It is all one-sided, self-serving claims of greatness by Binis themselves. cheesy

Know truth as shown in my attachment below.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by gregyboy(m): 6:48am On Aug 18, 2021
TAO12:
Your first screenshot shows the opinion of a Bini man as related to a foreigner. And that is supposed to be a historical fact?? LMAO!

Your second screenshot which claims that Oyo lost a section of Eastern Yoruba frontier to Benin is actually a claim which goes back to a Benin source.

Check the footnote 70 and thank me later. Prof. R. C.C. Law knew exactly what he was doing. grin

It is all one-sided, self-serving claims of greatness by Binis themselves. cheesy

The ibadans and nupe raided edo fringes around edo north which was far from Benin they raided it for slaves, soon as words got to the oba of Benin that edo north was been raided he dispatched a general at esan to drive off the raiders and they fled back to ibadan.
Ogedengbe the leader of the ibadan raiders after fleeing edo north continued is raiding in yoruba towns until he was capture by the britsh and imprisoned like a criminal that he was and later hung for his atrocities

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 6:55am On Aug 18, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]The ibadans and nupe raided edo fringes around edo north which was far from Benin they raided it for slaves, soon as words got to the oba of Benin that edo north was been raided he dispatched a general at esan to drive off the raiders and they fled back to ibadan.
Ogedengbe the leader of the ibadan raiders after fleeing edo north continued is raiding in yoruba towns until he was capture by the britsh and imprisoned like a criminal that he was and later hung for his atrocities[/s]
Eeerrm, sorry!

The article didn’t talk about Edo fringes. It talks about Benin kingdom. Ogedengbe ransacked Owan/Etsako.

And the Oba of Benin had to appease him out of town with rich gifts, slaves, etc.

Peace! cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by gregyboy(m): 7:15am On Aug 18, 2021
TAO12:
Eeerrm, sorry!

The article didn’t talk about Edo fringes. It talks about Benin kingdom. Ogedengbe ransacked Owan and Etsako.

And the Oba of Benin had to appease him out of town with rich gifts, slaves, etc.

Peace! cheesy

Owan and estako they are both in edo North..

You mean the oba appeased lol sre you telling such lies to appease your obsessed ego

Lol, he appeased him with slaves who does that when he initially came to raid for slaves.

When he could conquer the whole edo north and get what he needed in folds......

Lol, you're clown

Ogendegbe fled like a goat when he heard the oba of benin wanted his head, he didn't even penetrate into edo central(esan)

The Yorubas should have also bribed Benin too when the Benins took them for slaves and cut the heads of the Yoruba slaves to bury the oba of benin

3 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by nisai: 7:49am On Aug 18, 2021
TAO12:
Eeerrm, sorry!

The article didn’t talk about Edo fringes. It talks about Benin kingdom. Ogedengbe ransacked Owan and Etsako.

Peace! cheesy
If not for the Oba's advisers and the consideration of Oranmiyan Omo olofin on the part of Ogedengbe, Benin present dynasty would have been Owa Adimula.

Ogedengbe agbogun gboro adi fonfon loju ogun. O s'oko ekiti s'oko akoko, eni akoko nb'imo sin l'ese oke. Obanla olori awon Ipaye. Ogedengbe lo l'oke anaye.

Omo won ni Ilesa. Ijesa ni won omo onile obi. Omo eleni ateeka, omo eleni ewele. Emi o le ki agba ijesa ki nma je obi t'ogbo. Okeke l'aso ode igbajo elegodo tiemi l'aso ode ijesa. Iran ijesa nii sin tolotolo eru won (Bini grin) nii sin pepeye.

Thank u Tao. I retrieved my account and I have seen your mail. Really appreciate.

The PDFs ain't opening.

3 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by theTranslator: 7:56am On Aug 18, 2021
This guy no dey tire with lies

3 LGAs empire grin

3 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 8:21am On Aug 18, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]Owan and estako they are both in edo North..

You mean the oba appeased lol sre you telling such lies to appease your obsessed ego

Lol, he appeased him with slaves who does that when he initially came to raid for slaves.
When he could conquer the whole edo north and get what needed in folds......

Lol, you're clown

Ogendegbe fled like a goat when he heard the oba of benin wanted his head, he didn't even penetrate into edo central(esan)

The Yorubas should have also bribed Benin too when the Benins took them for slaves and cut the neckes of the Yoruba slaves to bury the oba of benin[/s]
Your lies repeated many times are still lies.

The only people who are killed to bury your oba are his Edo wives and his Edo slaves-subjects.

You are a slave of the Yoruba-Oba of Benin. Aren’t you? His children also go about killing any Edo they come across in the streets. [Ask me for references].

Ogedengbe was appeased with many gifts and more slaves than he planned to capture.

He was literally begged by your Oba so he can leave and not approach towards the palace.

2 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 8:33am On Aug 18, 2021
nisai:
If not for the Oba's advisers and the consideration of Oranmiyan Omo olofin on the part of Ogedengbe, Benin present dynasty would have been Owa Adimula.

Ogedengbe agbogun gboro adi fonfon loju ogun. O s'oko ekiti s'oko akoko, eni akoko nb'imo sin. Obanla olori awon Ipaye. Ogedengbe lo l'oke anaye.

Omo won ni Ilesa. Ijesa ni won omo onile obi. Omo eleni ateeka, omo eleni ewele. Emi o le ki agba ijesa ki nma je obi t'ogbo. Okeke l'aso ode igbajo elegodo tiemi l'aso ode ijesa. Iran ijesa nii sin tolotolo eru won (Bini grin) nii sin pepeye.

Thank u Tao. I retrieved my account and I have seen your mail. Really appreciate.

The PDFs ain't opening.
Finally! smiley I’m glad you could retrieve the email. I was very bothered. Thank God.

As for the PDFs, you would have to create an account to fully access the materials and download them.

I love the oriki by the way.

3 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by nisai: 8:37am On Aug 18, 2021
TAO12:
Finally! smiley I’m glad you could retrieve the email. I was very bothered. Thank God.

As for the PDFs, you would have to create an account to fully access the materials and download them.

I love the oriki by the way.

Ok. I have an account already. I will try and open them through it then.

Lol.

2 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by gregyboy(m): 10:02am On Aug 18, 2021
TAO12:
Your lies repeated many times is still lies.

The only people who are killed to bury your oba are his Edo wives and his Edo slaves-subjects.

You are a slave of the Yoruba-Oba of Benin. Aren’t you? His children also go about killing any Edo they come across in the streets. [Ask me for references].

Ogedengbe was appeased with many gifts and more slaves than he planned to capture.

He was literally begged by your Oba so he can leave and not approach towards the palace.

Lol, are you saying that lies to appease me or yourself

Why would ogendebge not just conquer the whole edo north and have the full edo north population as slaves and have numerous gift from the land

Definitely the whole edo north will be more than the slaves the oba would have offered...

Please stop making me laugh... I never heard in history were a warrior was bribed into summision

Cookup another lies this time use a woman as source the ogendebge distraction from benin

And again samuel johson a Yoruba historian in 1897 made it know that the name ijebu was from the benins who took the jebus as sacrafical slaves and when the benins dumbed them in the river for sacrificial puropse the water makes the 'tubu' sound and hence the name ijebu was coined

Tao11 the Yoruba obsessed transgendered, you obsession is coming from the fact we benins ruled over the aworis the tribe you claim you came from and we bins take pride over it on net and you disliked us for it, so you channel your hate to destroy the benins history but only ended up disgracing your people the more from the wrought of my hands

Benin was a world power in Nigeria as a whole up to the north.. You better swallow this and know peace bro

1 Like

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 8:09pm On Aug 18, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]Lol, are you saying that lies to appease me or yourself
Why would ogendebge not just conquer the whole edo north and have the full edo north population as slaves and have numerous gift from the land
Definitely the whole edo north will be more than the slaves the oba would have offered…
Please stop making me laugh... I never heard in history were a warrior was bribed into summision
Cookup another lies this time use a woman as source the ogendebge distraction from benin.[/s]
CRAP!

Ogedengbe ravaged Owan and Etsako. He was moving down south closer and closer to the palace when your oba literally BEGGED & APPEASED and made peace with him so he can leave his kingdom alone.

[s]And again samuel johson a Yoruba historian in 1897 made it know that the name ijebu was from the benins who took the jebus as sacrafical slaves and when the benins dumbed them in the river for sacrificial puropse the water makes the 'tubu' sound and hence the name ijebu was coined[/s]
Another debunked CRAPpy! falsehood

https://www.nairaland.com/6482972/name-lagos-called-ekonunuame-benins/5#104295576

[s]Tao11 the Yoruba obsessed transgendered, you obsession is coming from the fact we benins ruled over the aworis the tribe you claim you came from and we bins take pride over it on net and you disliked us for it, so you channel your hate to destroy the benins history but only ended up disgracing your people the more from the wrought of my hands

Benin was a world power in Nigeria as a whole up to the north.. You better swallow this and know peace bro[/s]
Insult and Lies will not save you from me, because it has never saved you.

BeNiN iS a SuPeR pOwEr! LMAO! wink No wonder Benin suffered so much at the hands of its more powerful neighbours such as Nupe, Ilorin, and Ibadan. grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by gregyboy(m): 8:30pm On Aug 18, 2021
TAO12:
CRAP!

Ogedengbe ravaged Owan and Etsako. He was moving down south closer and closer to the palace when your oba literally BEGGED & APPEASED and made peace with him so he can leave his kingdom alone.

Another debunked CRAPpy! falsehood

https://www.nairaland.com/6482972/name-lagos-called-ekonunuame-benins/5#104295576

Insult and Lies will not save you from me, because it has never saved you.

BeNiN iS a SuPeR pOwEr! LMAO! wink No wonder Benin suffered so much at the hands of its more powerful neighbours such as Nupe, Ilorin, and Ibadan. grin grin

Lies to appease your soul... Go in if it lets you sleep... Haha..

I never see bribing warriors.. Lol
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 9:02pm On Aug 18, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]Lies to appease your soul... Go in if it lets you sleep... Haha..

I never see bribing warriors.. Lol[/s]
You mean your LIES are supposed to appease MY soul to sleep?? shocked You failed child! grin

You mean your oba & his band of beggars are bribing warriors?? shocked I thought as much. grin Oh is that why he and his bribing warriors begged Ogedengbe away? cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by gregyboy(m): 10:16pm On Aug 18, 2021
TAO12:
You mean your LIES are supposed to appease MY soul to sleep?? shocked You failed child! grin

You mean your oba & his band of beggars are bribing warriors?? shocked I thought as much. grin Oh is that why he and his bribing warriors begged Ogedengbe away? cheesy

Hmm you really have nothing new

First of all the quote by ogendegbe who couldn't write or spell in English already fish the concatenated history as scam...

Who recorded ogendegbe actually words in the quote....

Lets asumme he told the story to his kinsmen which is unlikely too

Then again... The word Benin in the quote is another point to note out, the edo people didn't even refer to themselves as benins prior to ogendegbe raids in the kingdom, in the late 1800, rather the name wss known by the various Europeans who refered to the edo people as benin only, this was as a result of the description the itsekiri gave the Portuguese describing the edo people in their behavior of hostility and hence they picked the name Benin from Ile binu, to refer to the edo people who were never aware of such word been used by the European and Portuguese to describe them and not until the collapse of the empire and the beginning of the britsh administration that the britsh began using the name benin to refer to the edo people that they became aware of such name, due to the rising literacy that followed the Era....

The edo people always refers to themselves as edo and her surroundingneighbour's refers to them as a corrupt version of such name or ika by others

So how did ogendegbe known edo was called Benin

Ogendegbe literally wondered into edo state unknowingly and started raiding not until he was warned by an esan General that he knew he was in a wrong territory

But he wasn't killed probably escaped he didnt stay to fight the esan warriors , he also proved too stubborn to the britsh and was imprisoned like a slave and he ended up committing suicide...
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 2:55am On Aug 19, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]Hmm you really have nothing newFirst of all the quote by ogendegbe who couldn't write or spell in English already fish the concatenated history as scam...Who recorded ogendegbe actually words in the quote.... Lets asumme he told the story to his kinsmen which is unlikely tooThen again... The word Benin in the quote is another point to note out, the edo people didn't even refer to themselves as benins prior to ogendegbe raids in the kingdom, in the late 1800, rather the name wss known by the various Europeans who refered to the edo people as benin only, this was as a result of the description the itsekiri gave the Portuguese describing the edo people in their behavior of hostility and hence they picked the name Benin from Ile binu, to refer to the edo people who were never aware of such word been used by the European and Portuguese to describe them and not until the collapse of the empire and the beginning of the britsh administration that the britsh began using the name benin to refer to the edo people that they became aware of such name, due to the rising literacy that followed the Era.... The edo people always refers to themselves as edo and her surroundingneighbour's refers to them as a corrupt version of such name or ika by othersSo how did ogendegbe known edo was called Benin Ogendegbe literally wondered into edo state unknowingly and started raiding not until he was warned by an esan General that he knew he was in a wrong territoryBut he wasn't killed probably escaped he didnt live to fight the esan warriors , he also proved too stubborn to the britsh and was imprisoned like a bird and he ended up committing suicide...[/s]

What version of CRAP is this?

3 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Abohboy: 6:12pm On Aug 22, 2021
TAO12:

Your second screenshot which claims that Oyo lost a section of Eastern Yoruba frontier to Benin is actually a claim which goes back to a Benin source.

Your source is dated to the creation of Ibadan his source is dated to at least 200 years before the creation of Ibadan and yes the Bini did rule over parts of Ondo State and eastern parts of Lagos that is an indisputable fact

3 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 9:55pm On Aug 22, 2021
Abohboy:
[s]Your source is dated to the creation of Ibadan his source is dated to at least 200 years before the creation of Ibadan and yes the Bini did rule over parts of Ondo State and eastern parts of Lagos that is an indisputable fact[/s]
Kudos to you for trying hard to want to make sense.

However, [make I no talk grin]

I would break things down a little bit for you, and you will understand. Amen! grin

(1) His first screenshot was from a book published in 1880.

(2) His second screenshot is from an article published in 1973.
———————
Having educated you on the dates, it doesn’t matter if it was written/published by Adam & Eve themselves.

Regarding His First Screenshot:
The crux is that, the content of the material shows a Bini man (Ourano) who said his oba is the sTrOnGeSt.

If this proves to be factual to you, then my own father is the strongest father in the world. Don’t you agree?cheesy

Regarding His Second Screenshot:
The crux here is that the author was referring to a Bini man (Egharevba) who gave that opinion. Hence the 70 which appears as a footnote label after the sentence.

If this proves to be factual to you, then my ancestors was responsible for hijacking the Northern Edo lands from the oba of Benin. Don’t you agree? grin

Breaking News:
Saying Benin once ruled some piece of land in Lagos, or that Benin once ruled some places in Ondo based on statements emanating from the Binis themselves is about the dumbest thing anyone could come up with as evidence.

Peace!

8 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Naigleria1: 8:04pm On Aug 23, 2021
With the help of the Portuguese
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by KingOKON: 6:47am On Aug 24, 2021
TAO12:

I would break things down a little bit for you, and you will understand. Amen! grin

———————
Having educated you on the dates, it doesn’t matter if it was written/published by Adam & Eve themselves.

The crux is that, the content of the material shows a Bini man (Ourano) who said his oba is the sTrOnGeSt.

If this proves to be factual to you, then my own father is the strongest father in the world. Don’t you agree?cheesy

The crux here is that the author was referring to a Bini man (Egharevba) who gave that opinion. Hence the 70 which appears as a footnote label after the sentence.

If this proves to be factual to you, then my ancestors was responsible for hijacking the Northern Edo lands from the oba of Benin. Don’t you agree? grin

Breaking News:
Saying Benin once ruled some piece of land in Lagos, or that Benin once ruled some places in Ondo based on statements emanating from the Binis themselves is about the dumbest thing anyone could come up with as evidence.

Peace!
Even the Oba of Lagos will testify to that.
The Oba was exiled to Calabar because he was a threat to the monopoly of trade at the port especially that of lagos

While he was exiled, the Ibadan, Abeokuta and Ilorin Chiefs were sending emissaries to the British so as to gain favors and celebrate the fall of their Overlord King
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 7:42am On Aug 24, 2021
KingOKON:
.Even the Oba of Lagos will testify to that.
Okon with the wonderfully-low I.Q. grin

Any I.Q. increment in recent times? cheesy Obviously none. Moving on …

I’ve been waiting on you for months now to provide an indisputable evidence (a video) showing where Oba Akiolu (a 21st century king) said or implied that Binis ruled even a plot of land in Lagos-island.

You fled to voluntary exile once this request was put to you, only to return from exile to continue peddling the very thing for which you had gone on exile. cheesy

The Oba was exiled to Calabar because he was a threat to the monopoly of trade at the port especially that of lagos.
Chief Ovaranmwen, the reigning Chief of Benin then was actually banished from his land to the forest.

He was banished not because of trade but because he ordered the killing of unarmed visitors to his land.

He was to be hanged like his men, but he was spared and only banished to the forest because he pleaded to have known nothing about the attack.

While he was exiled, the Ibadan, Abeokuta and Ilorin Chiefs were sending emissaries to the British so as to gain favors and celebrate the fall of their Overlord King
You Binis have to make up your mind on one of two things.

Were the Yoruba kingdoms (of Ibadan, Abeokuta and Ilorin) conquered by the British long before the Benin chiefdom was conquered — in which case they were already open to relationship with the British?

Or was the Benin chiefdom conquered first and Chief Overanmwen banished before the British supposedly began relationship with Ibadan, Abeokuta, and Ilorin?

Make up your mind. grin

In any case, there is no relationship between Benin & Abeokuta (that any historian is aware of) except that:

As a town, Benin was inconsiderable compared with places like Ibadan, Iseyhin, Shaki, Modakeke, and Abeokuta.

~C. Punch, 1889 Journal; cited in H.L. Roth (1903), p.vii.

Another relation I can recall between Benin & Ilorin is as highlighted in the attachment below.

IF any of these relationship look to you like a vassal & overlord relationship; Benin clearly is the vassal. cheesy

CC: Naigleria1

7 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by KingOKON: 8:52am On Aug 24, 2021
TAO12:
Okon with the wonderfully-low I.Q. grin

Any I.Q. increment in recent times? cheesy Obviously none. Moving on …

I’ve been waiting on you for months now to provide an indisputable evidence (a video) showing where Oba Akiolu (a 21st century king) said or implied that Binis ruled even a plot of land in Lagos-island.

You fled to voluntary exile once this request was put to you, only to return from exile to continue peddling the very thing for which you had gone on exile. cheesy

Chief Ovaranmwen, the reigning Chief of Benin then was actually banished from his land to the forest.

He was banished not because of trade but because he ordered the killing of unarmed visitors to his land.

He was to be hanged like his men, but he was spared and only banished to the forest because he pleaded to have known nothing about the attack.

You Binis have to make up your mind on one of two things.

Were the Yoruba kingdoms (of Ibadan, Abeokuta and Ilorin) conquered by the British long before the Benin chiefdom was conquered — in which case they were already open to relationship with the British?

Or was the Benin chiefdom conquered first and Chief Overanmwen banished before the British supposedly began relationship with Ibadan, Abeokuta, and Ilorin?

Make up your mind. grin

In any case, there is no relationship between Benin & Abeokuta (that any historian is aware of) except that:

As a town, Benin was inconsiderable compared with places like Ibadan, Iseyhin, Shaki, Modakeke, and Abeokuta.

~C. Punch, 1889 Journal; cited in H.L. Roth (1903), p.vii.

Another relation I can recall between Benin & Ilorin is as highlighted in the attachment below.

IF any of these relationship look to you like a vassal & overlord relationship; Benin clearly is the vassal. cheesy

CC: Naigleria1

BobRISKY the one and only weed smoking wannabe historian, so in 1556 and at other times when Benin and the Europeans were busy having intellectual discourse where were your Shaki, Ibadan, Abeokuta, Ilorin towns.
I bet Oranmiyan and co were still hanging on trees back then while the soldiers from the Obas palace were busy merchandising at EKO...

Fast forward to 1890s

"Unharmed" visitor according to who? Well good enough he ain't no coward like his subjects in Ilorin, Abeokuta and Ibadan who welcomed the British soldiers with fanfares.
Well no surprise cause they longed yearned to be free from the Obas control, EKO was now at liberty because of the Obas exile.

You and your Ryder of a writer came to the party very late, not until the exile of the Oba of Benin was there anything of significance West of the Benin Empire.
The Oba was the OverLORD
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by TAO12: 9:24am On Aug 24, 2021
KingOKON:
[s]BobRISKY the one and only weed smoking wannabe historian, so in 1556 and at other times when Benin and the Europeans were busy having intellectual discourse where were your Shaki, Ibadan, Abeokuta, Ilorin towns.I bet Oranmiyan and co were still hanging on trees back then while the soldiers from the Obas palace were busy merchandising at EKO...Fast forward to 1890s "Unharmed" visitor according to who? Well good enough he ain't no coward like his subjects in Ilorin, Abeokuta and Ibadan who welcomed the British soldiers with fanfares. Well no surprise cause they longed yearned to be free from the Obas control, EKO was now at liberty because of the Obas exile. You and your Ryder of a writer came to the party very late, not until the exile of the Oba of Benin was there anything of significance West of the Benin Empire. The Oba was the OverLORD[/s]
Okon with the wonderfully low I.Q. cheesy

What version of crap did you just heap?

Crap-08-52-AM?? LMAO!

Give me evidence, I can’t remember asking you for crap.

5 Likes

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by KingOKON: 10:22am On Aug 24, 2021
TAO12:
Okon with the wonderfully low I.Q. cheesy

What version of crap did you just heap?

Crap-08-52-AM?? LMAO!

Give me evidence, I can’t remember asking you for crap.

So between the said period where was your Shaki, Modakeke, Ilorin and Ibadan enclaves?

And all that while the Portuguese NEVER thought going looking for your "imaginary " super king in ile Ife..

Continue smoking ya weed

1 Like

Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Abohboy: 10:47am On Aug 24, 2021
TAO12:

———————

Breaking News:

Peace!
The Deji of Akure and poother indigenes of Ondo know through oral stories that the Bini once ruled over them and we know because of the British and also Ijebu oral stories that the Bini took other parts of Lagos I don't see what you're trying to deny although the source is by a bini man the point still stands the story he is talking about is dated back to the 15th-216th century at the peak of Bini power in Nigeria meanwhile your sources are dated to the 18th century when the decline in Bini power started so it's no surprise that the Nupe and Yoruba were able to take back large swathes of land from them
Re: The Power The Oba Of Benin Wield In The Past by Abohboy: 10:49am On Aug 24, 2021
KingOKON:

So between the said period where was your Shaki, Modakeke, Ilorin and Ibadan enclaves?

And all that while the Portuguese NEVER thought going looking for your "imaginary " super king in ile Ife..

Continue smoking ya weed

The portugese never ventured inland unless there was a clear river way to do it. When they were trading with the people of Ubani and Brass it took them over 200 years in the 1700s to actually be bothered to go upstream the River Niger and even when they did they never went inland past the Niger River soit's unsurprising that they didn't choose to venture through the thick forest of Yoruba land

And we know there was a king because of the artefacts dating back over 1000 years found in ile ife

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (30) (Reply)

Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night / Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown / How Many Language Do Nigeria Have And Can You Name Your Language?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.