Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,555 members, 7,958,709 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 09:15 PM

300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account (7064 Views)

Paid Into A Wrong Bank Account / Convert Your Paypal To Perfect Money And Get Paid Into Your Bank Account / UBA: Deducts Money for Not Using One's Account Often (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by rowlandwhy: 12:03pm On Jul 19, 2007
Someone told me that his friends account was mistakenly credit with the sum of N300 Million.

I starting arguing with him that it is not possible. He confirmed that they guy has cashed some of the money and one can prove that through his lifestyle.

I wonder if this can be possible. Please can this be possible in any way in Nigeria today?
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by dgb4(m): 6:26pm On Jul 19, 2007
rowlandwhy:

Someone told me that his friends account was mistakenly credit with the sum of N300 Million.
I starting arguing with him that it is not possible,
He confirmed that they guy has cashed some of the money and one can prove that through his lifestyle.

if i was in his shoes i would have conducted a befitting thanksgiving service to God for making me hit such a huge cash. grin
LOL

If na you, wetin u go do?
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by DrFerlie(m): 8:20pm On Jul 19, 2007
i will raise alarm and return the cash to the bank/government
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by Christino(m): 8:45pm On Jul 19, 2007
Dr Ferlie:

i will raise alarm and return the cash to the bank/government

Is this guy a nigerian?

@ Rowland,

When d CBN declared the capital base had to be 25bill min. some banks had to merge, some had to "pack up" Imagine 300m "mistakenly" . . . I no fit shout! Plus the guy wouldn't have told anyone (overpayment na serious matter o, no be HSBC we dey talk na) grin
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by egoldman(m): 4:18am On Jul 20, 2007
Most likely to be a lie , forget his so called life style , do u think that bank accounts numbers are that close to each other , i mean if my bank account number is 000523523891 , do u think someones account number nin the same bank should be something like this 000523523892 ? no thats not how this numbers are issued to the best of my knowledge , and even when the numbers are that close , what about the names ? and when suddenly out of the blue 300 millions came into the account of someone that may not have up to 10 million , dont you think the bank itself might try to contact efcc as per the rules ?
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by wanaj0: 8:49am On Jul 20, 2007
egoldman:

Most likely to be a lie , forget his so called life style , do u think that bank accounts numbers are that close to each other , i mean if my bank account number is 000523523891 , do u think someones account number nin the same bank should be something like this 000523523892 ? no thats not how this numbers are issued to the best of my knowledge , and even when the numbers are that close , what about the names ? and when suddenly out of the blue 300 millions came into the account of someone that may not have up to 10 million , don't you think the bank itself might try to contact efcc as per the rules ?

Quite possible for such a POSTING error to be made.

Have had a situation where my Broker purportedly paid a substantial amount of money into my account. The money was tehre for over a week while I tried to unravel the mystery behind the payment.

Many things can be responsible but I suspect posting error. The bank will discover with time.
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by nossycheek(f): 10:14am On Jul 20, 2007
Could even be an in house fraud, where they will move the money later or where they will continue to steal the bank's money through the a/c
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by naira4doll(m): 11:10am On Jul 20, 2007
It's possible, either wrong posting or in-house fraud where they'll later withdraw it from the person's account.
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by egoldman(m): 11:18am On Jul 20, 2007
wanaj0:

Quite possible for such a POSTING error to be made.

Have had a situation where my Broker purportedly paid a substantial amount of money into my account. The money was tehre for over a week while I tried to unravel the mystery behind the payment.

Many things can be responsible but I suspect posting error. The bank will discover with time.

In this case your broker had your account number and also the account number of the real person he wants to pay the money to ,so its possible that he paid to ur supposing that u are the other person, but the issue here is that it was paid to a supposed unknown account , which the person who paid the money did not even know the account number or the name of the wrong person that he paid into , that is very rare in my own opinion , but when its an inhouse thing , then we can't say it was paid by mistake .
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by egoldman(m): 11:36am On Jul 20, 2007
If he made a "mistake" and pay to a wrong number what about the account name ? or would the bank credit an account when u produce only the account number number without the account name ?
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 20, 2007
Wishful thinking. Some people will just stay and imagine one some kind of wealth will just fall from somewhere. Wake up, If you want three million naira, you have to work for it. No bank can forget 300 million even if it is a wrong posting, it will be trased back to you. So nobody can get three million frm a bank and stay and live a flamboyant life, Banks do not joke with their money, even if an employee or someone dupes them of 5000, they can use 20 million to find you so that others will be deterred.
Plus withdrawing such a large amount at once will attract attention especially if you had a low balance previously.
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by egoldman(m): 12:38pm On Jul 20, 2007
my sister plz tell them oooh , by the way yayade , inakwaaanan ki ? grin grin grin
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by SOJ(m): 3:32pm On Jul 20, 2007
Awuf dey cause shit.What isnt urs cannot add value to you,period!
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by uchetobi(f): 3:59pm On Jul 20, 2007
Change your bank account o! cuz next time you make a transaction on that account EFCC will be on you like a bad joke
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by amanda2(f): 4:12pm On Jul 20, 2007
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by wanaj0: 4:21pm On Jul 20, 2007
egoldman:

In this case your broker had your account number and also the account number of the real person he wants to pay the money to ,so its possible that he paid to your supposing that u are the other person, but the issue here is that it was paid to a supposed unknown account , which the person who paid the money did not even know the account number or the name of the wrong person that he paid into , that is very rare in my own opinion , but when its an inhouse thing , then we can't say it was paid by mistake .

Like I siad, it is most likely a posting error. Postings are normally done with account numbers. Not always do they confirm that the number and teh name are the same.

Also, it is possible that the person making the payment was the one that made a mistake in the deposit slip filling a wrong account number.

Yes the error will finally be detected considering the amount involved.
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by rowlandwhy: 8:31am On Jul 23, 2007
ALL,
Thanks for your response.

I contacted the guy during the weekend and he said that the guy waited for 3 months to be summoned by the bank but nothing happened.
So he now cashed some of the money and transferred some into another account number.
Am still confused because he is giving me authentic confirmation the people living around the guy is confirming it too till date nothing has happened to the guy.
I still de wonder if na drug barons transfer that kain money from mexico!!!
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by MyPeace(f): 8:47am On Jul 23, 2007
its possible. l have a smaller case with UBA, where l paid in N30,000 into my account and only N20,000 was credited to me. it could be an erro by the cashier when entering the ledger a/c or watever they call it as was the case in mine.
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by wanaj0: 9:14am On Jul 23, 2007
rowlandwhy:

ALL,

I contacted the guy during the weekend and he said that the guy waited for 3 months to be summoned by the bank but nothing happened.
So he now cashed some of the money and transferred some into another account number.
Am still confused because he is giving me authentic confirmation the people living around the guy is confirming it too till date nothing has happened to the guy.

The story is more like a fiction. You don't transfer 300m to an account without an alarm. NDLEA, CBN etc will need to be notified. No way such an amount will enter an account and stay that long. Transferring to another account does not help because he can still be traced.

Hope your freind is not using an excuse to justify or explain his new found status! Query him more as to the source of his money!
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 23, 2007
rowlandwhy:

ALL,

Let me tell you what happens in Banks. Banks have Internal Auditors who monitor all the postings Above 500000. Once an amount of that magnitude is posted the Auditor Checks the account and the history of the Account, if unusual, He meets the cahsier and demands for the teller.
Now if 300million is wrongfully posted by a cashier, how will it escape the eyes of the auditor, even if it does,remeber that any posting of more than 5million Naira is reported to NDLEA and EFCC,. Before You withdraw any sum of money above 500000, the manager has to sign, you want to tell me that the manager, cahsier and auditor who have to monitor cash over 500000, will overlook 300million. Tell your friend to invent another story.
MyPeace:

its possible. l have a smaller case with UBA, where l paid in N30,000 into my account and only N20,000 was credited to me. it could be an erro by the cashier when entering the ledger a/c or watever they call it as was the case in mine.
In your case it was a small amount and such amount do not go through thorough screening
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by Razorr(f): 10:08am On Jul 23, 2007
Bu haa haa haa haa haa   grin  cheesy

No comment.  lipsrsealed   lipsrsealed   lipsrsealed   lipsrsealed
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by charlione(m): 10:22am On Jul 23, 2007
@aisha

tell em baby! that guy invented that story 4 sure. a pity some of us are not so dumb.
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by bignero: 10:47am On Jul 23, 2007
dream on DREAMERS, A LIL SLEEP AND SLUMBER AND UR OVERTAKEN BY PROVERTY sad
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by gr8child(m): 10:51am On Jul 23, 2007
Isn't funny how everyone is wondering whether the bank will catch them out if N300m is mistakenly paid into their account instead of saying they'd return it for not being theirs? Nobody should accuse our leaders of corruption again o!
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by Rhea(f): 10:57am On Jul 23, 2007
If you wake up and find as little as N1000 mistakenly credited to your account, it is in your interest to report it, or better still don't touch it, because you will surely vomit every kobo of it. The same mistake that credited it to your account will be made again and have it debited from your account.

Now when the amount in question is N300m, rest assured that not only will the bank reverse the anomaly, EFCC, ICPC and even the f***ing Nigerian Police will be hot on your heels for aiding and abetting fraud.

Ever heard of receipt of stolen property?  grin "I know sabi" no dey for this matter.

There's nothing like free lunch ooo!!!
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 23, 2007
gr8child:

Isn't funny how everyone is wondering whether the bank will catch them out if N300m is mistakenly paid into their account instead of saying they'd return it for not being theirs? Nobody should accuse our leaders of corruption again o!
The guy is asking if 300million can be mistakenly paid to someones account based on some guys imaginary wealth and lifestyle. We are trying to debunk the claim that such a mistake can occur and the man will be allowed to go scout free. Offcourse if it mistakenly happens to me, or any other sensible person , I will raise alarm before i am prosecuted for money lundering or dealing in hard drugs.
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by gr8child(m): 11:56am On Jul 23, 2007
Oh. Well. In that case, I think its totally possible. A friend of mine dad's account @ NIB before it merged was credited with about N5m and they never brought it to the bank's attention. My friend's dad apparently is some hard nailed shrewd businessman who likes to take advantage of other people's mistakes. This was a couple of years before the mergers & to the best of my knowledge the Bank has not discovered the mistake.
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by deekseen(m): 12:19pm On Jul 23, 2007
MyPeace:

its possible. l paid in N30,000 into my account and only N20,000 was credited to me.
My dear !0,000 is a very very very very long way from 300,000,000! Yeah mistakes like yours happen on a daily basis and are easily corrected.
But for 300,000,000 , i do not think it is possible. May be he saw 300,000.000 with the cashier playing a little prank by adding a third zero to the kobo digits.
In any case, i find this story unbelievable, cos after the day's activities checks and balances are done and there's no way the management of the bank won't know about this (in the case of an in-house fraud).
Shikena!

1 Like

Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by kelvin(m): 12:54pm On Jul 23, 2007
Mistakes like that really happen. I've witnessed one with about 100,000 but it was traced almost immediately. However, I am not sure if 300M can be debited in someones account by mistake and even in such a case, the owner of the account can be traced right into his bedroom.
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by deekseen(m): 1:24pm On Jul 23, 2007
kelvin:

Mistakes like that really happen. I've witnessed one with about 100,000 but it was traced almost immediately.
Exactly my point.
kelvin:

However, I am not sure if 300M can be debited in someones account by mistake , the owner of the account can be traced right into his bedroom.
You just stated my points in another light.
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by samoje1: 2:16pm On Jul 23, 2007
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: 300 Million Naira Mistakely Paid Into One's Account by delawking: 3:37pm On Jul 23, 2007
hi guys,

its impossible for a teller to mistakenly post N300m into a wrong account    (tellers have limit they can work with) , moreover at the end of each bizness day in a bank, there is a minimum amount that must be left in the banks vault.so the head office of the bank and efcc must be notified about the transaction.

so just like someone said, the manager, the auditor and 2 other pple in the operations unit will surely know there was a 300m deposit for that day and find out the details regarding the account.

i am so sure the guy cooked up the story to "bobo" his friend  grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NSE ASI Records Its Highest Single-Day Rise In 7 Years At 4.92% / What Profitable Business Can 500k Do In Lagos? / NYSC: Yiedp-hbp 2016- Log-in Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.