Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,548 members, 7,827,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market (26078 Views)

What Is The Salary Structure For SSCE Holders In FRSC? / What's The Hope For Ond Holders In Searching For A Job. / Nigerian Navy Recruitment Of HND, Bsc Holders For 2019, 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by aerodee(m): 11:04am On Aug 25, 2021
Another opportunity is in IT,
Join BCT Academy for 2 months training and free internship on live projects and you will be set for instant job opportunities.

https://bcodestech.com/contact-us

OUR LOCATION
10 Olusoji Idowu St, Ilupeju 100261, Lagos

SEND US MAIL
Info@bcodestech.com

CALL US
+234 809 020 2323

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Bottomofpussy(m): 11:07am On Aug 25, 2021
Which nd2 project? Who supervise am? U tink is about having 1000 students in one Dept, where u don't even know ur classmates.
Unn na wer pple dy go study, u must read, u must be disciplined and cultured, unn will mould u in character and in learning...u better go back and acquire a good certificate and stop comparing maybach to 504
IMMORTALGOLD100:
Na for course for Architecture from IMT my ND2 project beat una 300 level design self.. your final say holds me in high esteem self.. na self development no be just school
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by alfredbisong: 11:12am On Aug 25, 2021
wahala for who get hnd
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Olaideolayemi(m): 11:13am On Aug 25, 2021
oyigah:
But honestly speaking, polytechnic graduates are...........
Are what?I think,you are kid..who doesn't understand between knowledge and certificate..
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Olaideolayemi(m): 11:20am On Aug 25, 2021
Everything in life is star..I graduated from polytechnic,but different opportunities have been coming from govt and personal skill and knowledge from my specialization..With God things are working out..In my Master level..All you need is not certificate,You God, prayer,and Target opportunities..All those peoples shaming polytechnic graduate are just Novice..life or destiny don't know certificate.. It knows your star and luck..

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by oazeez1991(m): 11:29am On Aug 25, 2021
That's just d bitter reality we have in d country. D dichotomy removal d government has been doing are just paper work which are only effective in some government sectors, not at all in private sectors, except for those demeaning ones like private education sectors where most of them are only after taking advantage of d country unemployment situation, been ready 2 higher O'level holder and still pay them same salaries as the graduates (whether HND or Bsc) just 2 maximize their own profit.

Bsc can never equate with HND, d earlier graduates of polytechnics admit that, d better. I'm always indifference whenever d issue of dichotomy removal pop up cos I know it wouldn't be effective in practical, but paper work. Let's even start from d entry level requirements, as much as jamb cutoff 4 polytechnics still don't equate with that of universities, there can never be equality between the issued certificates at both levels. As much as admission is as easy in polytechnics as 2 candidates switching 2 it just cos they don't wanna wait another year at home or sees it as alternative route, there can never be level ground 4 both.

Even if d dichotomy removal has been effective, it would do very little 2 shape d people's orientation on dia disparity. Going through others submission is a prove 2 this. Uni graduates will always see their polytechnic counterparts as inferior. Government isn't d only problem in cases like this, but individual inclusive.

Generally, there are little employment opportunities out there with lot of graduates 2 compete 4 them, so chances of HND holder securing any compare 2 Bsc holder is very slim. Most who choose 2 employ HND holder do so 4 their own selfish interest like having them underpaid while maximizing their efforts, reason they are much in contract works.

I'm also an HND holder, but I've chosen 2 accept reality ever since I was in 4 my HND programme, I choose never 2 seek employment after my graduation, but get myself employ instead as I wouldn't be able 2 stand d reality out there. My certificate is even still with my school on purpose as I don't see myself needing it 4 now, should I go collect it later, it's just cos it's my right 2 have it and not 4 job hunting.

Ignorance back then pushed me 2 option 4 polytechnic when Uni admission wasn't forthcoming and I regret it today, not cos of even job issue, but people orientation and mindset over it. On no account will I allow my offsprings go 2 polytechnic, even if it's 2 get them admitted in private Uni, I will by His grace.

D only way HND holders (those who seek working 4 others) could compete with their Uni counterparts is through having PROBLEM SOLVING SKILL, without that, Employers are not ready 2 hear u convince them on why u got what 2 offer, unless those that wanna tk advantage of u.

Skill is very important for every individual regardless the cert u pocesss. May God bless Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Kingosytex(m): 12:35pm On Aug 25, 2021
Bottomofpussy:
Correct guy, I stayed in Hilltop den later odenigwe, how is life now, how d hustle, wer u base now

It's not easy bro.
Just came back from Ghana a couple of months ago. I'm fully based in Asaba now.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Kingosytex(m): 12:51pm On Aug 25, 2021
IMMORTALGOLD100:
Na for course for Architecture from IMT my ND2 project beat una 300 level design self.. your final say holds me in high esteem self.. na self development no be just school
It's not true.
Come to UNN and I can assure you that you're going to struggle to pass those courses you devoured at IMT.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Bottomofpussy(m): 2:07pm On Aug 25, 2021
Everything will be fine, I stay in Asaba too,
Kingosytex:

It's not easy bro.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Mummyimbecile(m): 5:45pm On Aug 25, 2021
StayMotivated:
I'm thankful for having a job, but 20,000 naira per month in Lagos won't sustain anybody for a month. I have to feed, buy airtime, pay transportation to work etc I know oneday God will remember me. It is well
Sure, he will.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Cromagnon: 6:24pm On Aug 25, 2021
aylive02:
I don't just understand this discrimination. Lot of HND grads are far better than university graduates and vice versa. If I could remember, Government don remove this dichotomy more than 5 times but the thing still dey there. Private sectors hate to hear the word polytechnic. It's only government jobs that do not discriminate
it's not discrimination. It's demand and supply. So employers just using that excuse to reduce number of applicants. Paper and invigilators cost money to conduct interview for thousands of job seekers. So they use degree and other criteria to manage those numbers. If there weren't so few first class graduates they would've been requesting only them

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by moemindz: 10:17pm On Aug 25, 2021
Adaorababy:
I can relate to this dehumanizing treatment. The dichotomy does not end in when applying for jobs. Even when you're working in that company. You can't go beyond a step on the ladder as an HND graduate. Many times, HND holders are used as contract staff while their BSC counterparts are permanent staff. Very dehumanizing. However, in all fairness, it's easier to get a job as an HND holder than as a BSc holder because they are subjected to meagre pay and most Nigerian firms follow the use and dump approach.

I started to notice this disparity during NYSC whilst commencing the orientation registration process. I heard something like this. Graduates from Federal universities, form first line., Foreign universities, second line Private university, third line, state university, fourth line, Federal and State polytechnics, be on the 5th line and colleges the 6th line.
That profiling was all shades of wrong on every side. As I was waiting for my category to be called, I remember how my self esteem dropped drastically. Seeing most of the polished in first, second, third and fourth lines and I had to just be on the fifth line. Why The annoying thing is that many people in the 5th and 6th lines looked one kind. Majority of them had natural low self esteem, could not communicate properly, and looked very dull. I felt bad that a bright HND holder like me that graduated with distinction in Banking & Finance could be ridiculed this way. Because of this, throughout my three weeks in camp, I refused to participate in camp activities. Although, it was not difficult to get a job in the financial sector, in fact, I was employed within 4months of completing the NYSC one year program but I could not also watch people that were still in secondary school while I already joined the bank, graduate from the University and become my boss. They had promotions, better career path, were giving cars while my salary remained same for 9years as a contract staff. This was what led to me quitting working in the bank despite my long years of working in the bank and having a PGD and masters and performing excellently well in my designated functions. I was angry that even though, the dichotomy between HND and BSC prevented me from being converted, why wasn't I converted despite furthering and having a masters degree?

School is scam!!! Nigeria is scam!!!

Reading through your post, I could absolutely relate with how it felt especially the NYSC experience. However, how an individual react to those "emotions" is a critical determiner of whether you rise above them or they keep you under. Will you push for more or stay down?.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by NapoleonHill: 9:40pm On Aug 26, 2021
smeag0l:
This is the most apt comment I've seen so far on this thread. I attended one of the best federal polytechnics in Nigeria and one of the best federal universitiesin Nigeria. What most people don't understand is that even though government has removed the dichotomy , a lot of private organisations especially the multinationals still retain it because they know that the university and polytechnic don't serve the same purpose. I work in one of the Nigerian offices of one of the biggest multinationals in the world and I can tell you that the highest job level a HND holder can get to is a chief technologist. And this is not because he's not intelligent but because the school he went to demands he tow the entirely technical route. Whereas , a degree holder can become a manager. Like someone said earlier, converting the polytechnics to universitiesof applies sciences will end this issue.
When polytechnics are converted, would we then remove technologists from the engineering cadre for example? Who will bridge the gap?

It's just unfortunate that things turn out this badly. You cannot eliminate polytechnics. You will be setting the system up for a disaster.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by parkervero(m): 6:45am On Aug 30, 2021
moemindz:

Reading through your post, I could absolutely relate with how it felt especially the NYSC experience. However, how an individual react to those "emotions" is a critical determiner of whether you rise above them or they keep you under. Will you push for more or stay down?.

You experienced that in NYSC? How? I thought such thing has long been resolved in camps?
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by doghorp(m): 8:58am On Aug 30, 2021
I have HND in Mechanical Engineering, I have used it to work in the telecommunications and oil and gas sector for the past 9 years. Please just know what you when to school to study then have hands on experience e.g. Generators if you are still unemployed that could make the difference in an interview.
The discrimination is disheartening but some one need to develop him/her self presently I am doing a degree in Physics which I will use to do a masters Degree in either Engineering Management or MBA Business Administration. If you have HND try to upgrade my friend has gone for an interview he did well but he was not taken because he had HND Mechanical Engineering.
We value degree for Naija who even study English or French go be HR Manager lol.
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by vampire2020: 10:43pm On Oct 03, 2021
nevilbot:
There is just one solution to this dichotomy problem and our fg is so backward thinking that they can't generate the balls to do it.

The solution simply lies in converting all the polytechnics to university of applied sciences. That was what German did to solve that problem when they had this same issue. Same with the uk whose educational model we copied to create polytechnics in d ist place. Anglia Ruskin university was formerly Anglia Ruskin polytechnic.

They should turn them all to uni of applied sciences running 4 years degree programs equipping students with effective practical skills for the world of work with an industry focused syllabus. That's what all forward thinking countries av done to move away from polytechnics.

In Germany, HND from Nigeria only qualifies you for bsc admission to start year 1 so y are we still holding on to this vestige of the past
do you still need the proof of fund for your cousin going to poland
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Bottomofpussy(m): 7:09pm On Jul 01, 2022
Kingosytex:

It's not easy bro.
I stay in asaba too, send me ur number through d email make we link up
Re: The Plight Of HND Holders In The Nigerian Labor Market by Newton2024: 3:54am On Jul 02, 2022
Adaorababy:
I can relate to this dehumanizing treatment. The dichotomy does not end in when applying for jobs. Even when you're working in that company. You can't go beyond a step on the ladder as an HND graduate. Many times, HND holders are used as contract staff while their BSC counterparts are permanent staff. Very dehumanizing. However, in all fairness, it's easier to get a job as an HND holder than as a BSc holder because they are subjected to meagre pay and most Nigerian firms follow the use and dump approach.

I started to notice this disparity during NYSC whilst commencing the orientation registration process. I heard something like this. Graduates from Federal universities, form first line., Foreign universities, second line Private university, third line, state university, fourth line, Federal and State polytechnics, be on the 5th line and colleges the 6th line.
That profiling was all shades of wrong on every side. As I was waiting for my category to be called, I remember how my self esteem dropped drastically. Seeing most of the polished in first, second, third and fourth lines and I had to just be on the fifth line. Why The annoying thing is that many people in the 5th and 6th lines looked one kind. Majority of them had natural low self esteem, could not communicate properly, and looked very dull. I felt bad that a bright HND holder like me that graduated with distinction in Banking & Finance could be ridiculed this way. Because of this, throughout my three weeks in camp, I refused to participate in camp activities. Although, it was not difficult to get a job in the financial sector, in fact, I was employed within 4months of completing the NYSC one year program but I could not also watch people that were still in secondary school while I already joined the bank, graduate from the University and become my boss. They had promotions, better career path, were giving cars while my salary remained same for 9years as a contract staff. This was what led to me quitting working in the bank despite my long years of working in the bank and having a PGD and masters and performing excellently well in my designated functions. I was angry that even though, the dichotomy between HND and BSC prevented me from being converted, why wasn't I converted despite furthering and having a masters degree?

School is scam!!! Nigeria is scam!!!
We keep hearing the law makers say they've abolished the dichotomy between University graduates and Polytechnic graduates, yet employers are doing as they please. Why not stop Polytechnic if it's no longer revelant in today's world rather than subjecting innocent people to inferiority complex? No one cares how intelligent you are as a Polytechnic graduate, you won't even have the opportunity to prove yourself. Worst of all, you will see something like "third class/HND. How do these belong in the same level?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Finally Gotten A Job / A Thread For Graduates Of Electrical/electronics Engineering Seeking For Jobs / N-power Portal Not Hacked, It Is Secured ― FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.